• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Texturing Contest #15 - Futuristic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
Ok im probably way out of my league here but i guess it cant hurt to improve skinning skills ;p.
Im working on a robotic frost wyrm atm.
frostyskin.JPG
Messy but i shall learn o)

Ive worked on the skin more and decided to alpha the spinal fin things.
View attachment 66944
I think he looks much better without it. Almost like a different model.
I shall call him... Mini-me.... (Nightwing) :p
More editing to come

Looks great, but there's barely enough definition. In-game it will probably look like a black blob. I suggest you add more contrast.

Hello everyone. I've been away for a long time since i don't have a proper comp. I still don't have one.
Anyway this is my epic skin. This will probably blow your minds out.
companion cubescreen.jpg
Ok. Maybe it won't blow your brains out. Bare in mind that i don't have WCIII on this comp so i cant do anything else other than simple skins like sammycube.
I know i won't win but i just made this for fun.
View attachment companion cube.blp <-- Best skin EVAR

Level 26
darkdeathnight, lol awesome skin, id vote for that, but its pixelated, try smoothing it a bit, like drawing it in a larger format and resizing it in paint.net or photoshop or gimp or something with an antialiasing filter on it's scaling. Bigapple, i love the concept of that one :p i mean... deathwing isn't a robot but i like the robotdragon concept, the wings are kind of an odd shape, but otherwise good job :)

A.R.

Skin Reviewer
Level 25
I'm seeing some good work here, people :D

PH: great concept, but the colours look random and chaotic. The yellow on the belly is a big detractor. It took me a moment to find the face in there as all the surrounding elements are competing for attention. You could probably tone down the red on the tusks and try unify it more as a helmet. It's got too many bright, saturated, unrelated colours all fighting for attention. I'd recommend you pick either the red or the green for the glowy bits rather than having them both in there.

Hmm, I might have to take it up a notch >:)

attachment.php

Attachments

• Motoko_WIP.jpg
    Motoko_WIP.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 323
Level 38
I smoothed out my lines for my companion cube.
View attachment 67039
It looks a bit blurry but i can't really smooth it out well on a 64x64 image. That's the most i can smooth it out before it just looks like a blob.
View attachment 67038

You can always make the skin bigger than 64x64 and it will still work. I'd recommend going up to at least 128x128 :)

That's pretty hot AR :)

A.R.

Skin Reviewer
Level 25
lol ghost in shell?

Yesssss! Hence the Fuchikoma skin I started with (Fuchikoma were present in the manga as well as the original PS game. They were replaced by Tachikoma in SAC due to copyright issues).

YIPI! A.R is back..

you only show yourself for competitions don't you :3 <3

xD I am a shy and reclusive creature, rarely seen in the wild :p

Anywho, quick update on my skin:

Attachments

• Motoko_WIP_2.jpg
    Motoko_WIP_2.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 169
l0w, that's some amazing shit you got there. I only just don't really like the orange cables, they stand out too much compared to the rest of the body since they are so low-res.

That's copper wiring. I'll try and make it darker and/or less saturated.

@TurtleRacingCar: Well, it's basically some white metal, so I really see no need for reflections. Thanks for noting anyway :D

@Dio: Shit, a dryad skin?! Nobody made one in centuries!

A.R.

Skin Reviewer
Level 25
Ugh, getting those lips right was a total nightmare...

Just wait 'til you get to the chest. The Dryad is a depressing model to skin :<

@Dentothor: The lighting is a bit flat; if it's meant to be shiny and metallic, it needs more strong sharp highlights to really define it. The texture is also a bit monochromatic. Avoid using unsaturated black and white combinations in WC3 because they really stand out next to the other, more colourful textures.

A.R.

Skin Reviewer
Level 25
Even bug-ish skin tends to be chitinous and shiny, gettyimages is a good source for references :)

About the colour, at the very least you need to break it up a bit more. Maybe find edges of armor plates that you can put lining on. You could define the metallic areas from the chitinous areas through colour as at the moment, the only difference is in the visual texture of the different areas, which is going to get lost ingame. There's not much you can do about the unsaturated black and white at this point without redoing much of the skin - it's something to remember for the future. You can, however, in Photoshop create a new layer above the texture, set the blending mode to 'color' and paint over the texture. It's not perfect use of colour, but it can give some nice results :)

You've got the glowyhax red-orange for the eyes (which are great btw) and the sword. You could try work that into the hooves, horns, wrist spines and the tail; that'd help liven it up a bit :)

Status
Not open for further replies.