• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Texturing Contest #18 - UI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 31
So um, before I get banned from the arena forever, I'd just like to let everyone know that I am actually rendering my UI based off a model...so I mean, technically I am using an image manipulation program to draw it (that being mental ray) and I'm using 3ds max to set the eh...bounds.

So if anyone has an issue with that tell me now before I make it.

just coming in to say that i have no problem with mr bob rendering his stuff in 3d and it will be interesting to see how everything turns out.

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/1728633-post15.html
dent, you were CLEARLY aware that you werent allowed in the contest. There is no point in whining about it now, trying to get sympathy from people or acting like you didnt know about it and wanting an exemption from the rules.
because i am really tired of it. i dont know about anyone else

Ummm... I Had asked py after that post if i could participate and he just gave me his respose today... >.<
im not asking for sympathy. Nor am i willing to be able to put up a silly fight with someone who will jump to such conclusions. If you look further within the thread, there are posts of me stating that py had given me the possiblility that i might be able to participate.
It isnt a lust for attention nor is it wanting an exemption from tge rules. I am not some newbie who will whine about things that arent fair. And i agree that this is fair. Dont think at all that i dont, but I was merely saying that i cannot have my entry as a participant in the contest. I say this because some were looking forward to my participation. So if you wish to continue to attempt to embarrass me without any evidence whatsoever, please try to do it privately and avoid the embarrassment of yourself. Thank you.

Level 48
Look, Denthothor. Most people who were banned from contests(and that is, FrIkY and Paladon) were smart enough to realize that 'BANNED' means 'BANNED'. Look up that word in the dictionary. Unless someone directly tells you that you are unbanned(and nudging the moderators is unlikely to help you with this), I'm pretty you're not allowed to participate in any contest. And if you really thought there was a chance that they'd let your entry in because it was good or pretty or something, you were deeply, deeply wrong. :|

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Cut the off-topic chatter. Dentothor is banned because of the previous Texturing Contest. He can fill you in on the details himself (use PM, VM or chat - not this thread).

This isn't new, but a weak attempt at ending the off-topic. Here's my latest WIP:
CTUI%20Sketch%205.png

there are posts of me stating that py had given me the possiblility that i might be able to participate.

Ugh. How many times do i have to say it. I asked Py and he said he could possibly let me participate

It was halfway done when i thought i would ask py if it was ok.

I don't remember saying that. I remember saying stuff like "uh" and "we'll see" and generally being a vague pain in the ass

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

The snakes around the time-indicator frame is from the original HumanUI, I just have not gotten around to touching it yet. Thought I'd clarify that. They fit well though, so I might remake them similarly.

Anyway, thanks.

^Ops...

Sigh... I hope Denth will finish it at least. Shiik, try adding some Amani troll runes. Not much, but several glowing small runes.

Chaos Trolls, not Forest Trolls. Amani Empire symbolism would not look right. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 18
I know it's kinda late, but I'll try to finish my custom UI just in time.

It's some cave-themed style with dragons on the top that are spitting some fire.
The Day/Night part will be some magicball helt by Dragonhands.. Something like that :p
Don't be that hard to me, it's only the second time I'm texturing/coloring something in
Photoshop.. I did some work on the caves, but there's still a lot more to do..

I hope I can finish something.. at least to get in with a cave-UI ^^
if I can't finish those dragon stuff :( Just want to try joining this contest, but it's not for sure now!

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

That looks pretty cool, Tr!KzZ, I think you might get some trouble with the inventory items and ability icons, though, as I think they overwrite the UI and as such will look awkward when it pops out of the cave. Good luck!

well this is my entry. will add screeny later

i put the test map as well.

just posting now so i dont forget. i forgot i was supposed to do this last week.

EDIT: Screeny from the previous post
92715d1290033700-texturing-contest-18-ui-preiview2.jpg

Attachments

• UITile01.blp
    347.9 KB · Views: 576
  • UITile02.blp
    356.7 KB · Views: 540
  • UITile03.blp
    396.4 KB · Views: 558
  • UITile04.blp
    57.1 KB · Views: 500
  • UITile-InventoryCover.blp
    168.6 KB · Views: 649
  • UITile-TimeIndicatorFrame.blp
    74 KB · Views: 567
  • uitesting.w3m
    1.4 MB · Views: 574
Last edited:
Level 18
That looks pretty cool, Tr!KzZ, I think you might get some trouble with the inventory items and ability icons, though, as I think they overwrite the UI and as such will look awkward when it pops out of the cave. Good luck!

yeah, might look strange.. and not everyone is willing to use some non-border icons.
Best would be icons without borders and black backround (at least at the corners) to make
them fit perfect with that cave style. Thanks for your suggestions :)

I've just found some time to edit it a bit more, removed some edges, that covered some
corners of icons.. Better now? Also contiued a bit more in editing it. Will start the top of
the UI soon, with the magicball.. I hope I can also add those dragons to the right and left.

@Pyramidhe@d
pretty nice UI!! Could be very usefull for Tank War maps, or modern warfare stuff..
But I would prefer less white stripes to represent the metal you created. looks too
cartoonish with that many white stripes on it. Remove some or shorten them, or at least
make them more darker.. would look better, else nice job!!

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Hmm.. I might not be able to finish in time, I've got a lot of work to do and I can't find the inspiration to do this, but either way, here's another WIP. I'm just trying to flesh out the general design, as what comes after is pretty easy.

CTUI%20Sketch%206.png

Level 19
Shiik, I'll try give you some inspiration :)

What about adding some voodoo dolls and masks just to point out that it is not another demon UI but actually a Chaos Troll UI. Of course the voodoo dolls need to look tainted and more chaotic than average looking ones. For an example they could be made of red cloth with black eyes with an evil glow inside.. And the same for the troll masks, add some black feathers and other dark details :p

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Shiik, I'll try give you some inspiration :)

What about adding some voodoo dolls and masks just to point out that it is not another demon UI but actually a Chaos Troll UI. Of course the voodoo dolls need to look tainted and more chaotic than average looking ones. For an example they could be made of red cloth with black eyes with an evil glow inside.. And the same for the troll masks, add some black feathers and other dark details :p

I can already see a small voodoo doll in a corner, smiling evilly with several pins stabbed in it :D

Excellent idea, thanks.

I still need to figure out what to use as background, though. I had originally intended to make it like a leather wall, but I fear it'll end up looking flat.

leather_wall.jpg

Rocks or wood just doesn't fit my Chaos Trolls.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

I won't be able to get my UI finished in time, so I'm offering to judge. We need a judge, anyway. I will finish my UI later, so don't you worry, I just won't be participating in the contest. I don't have the inspiration I need.

Level 18
I could work a bit more on my Cave UI and added one of the two dragons. (the red one, down right). I think I'll add a blue dragon to the left, and a bit different from the red one to keep it unique.

But I'm stucking at the Time Indicator Frame.. Any suggestions? The Dragonhands holding that Orb thingy isn't enough, but I think arms would look strange.. or is another chinese dragon better, that goes around that orb and protecting it.. kinda..

I could work a bit more on my Cave UI and added one of the two dragons. (the red one, down right). I think I'll add a blue dragon to the left, and a bit different from the red one to keep it unique.

But I'm stucking at the Time Indicator Frame.. Any suggestions? The Dragonhands holding that Orb thingy isn't enough, but I think arms would look strange.. or is another chinese dragon better, that goes around that orb and protecting it.. kinda..
:ogre_love:

I love your style. Just make the fire white-er in the inside parts and red-er in the outside parts.
Don't forget that the clock has little light that should appear in the right place there... not above stuff. As if there was a socket for the time lights...

Level 18
Thanks for your suggestions!!

@HappyCockroach
I'll do some more changes at the firebreath part..
And the claws, that are holding the orb, are placed in right positions, so they don't cross
the TimeIndicator Effect. The lights from it, should appear between the claws.

@Apheraz_Lucent
Same for the firebreath part..
I thought about that, and tried to make a little scribble to see how it would fit well,
but I still couldn't find a nice pose to paint it, because that TimeIndicator Frame is a bit
too small for my needs. It wouldn't look that good to place a whole little Dragon around it.

I just thought about making those hands and claws like stone, making it one with the cave itself.
Should look like the cave has some extraordinary forms that are looking like claws holding
that orb.. What are you thinking about that? Or do you guys love the dragon surrounding it more?

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Well, I could possibly finish mine with an extension, but it's not really a matter of time as much as it's inspiration, for me. Either way, we will need a judge and I don't feel overly compelled to compete. If there's others that need an extension, though, you might as well count me as one of them.

Level 18
I could finish mine tomorrow, an extension about just some hours would be awesome,
that I can work and finish it tomorrow. I certainly want to participate this time!

So here's my last progress, added the blue dragon and added the upper part of the UI.
I just need to add details to the upper part and edit it a bit to finish my UI!
Hopefully tomorrow and just in time (with some hours extension?)

Attachments

• CustomUI_WIP4.jpg
    CustomUI_WIP4.jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 428
I could finish mine tomorrow, an extension about just some hours would be awesome,
that I can work and finish it tomorrow. I certainly want to participate this time!

So here's my last progress, added the blue dragon and added the upper part of the UI.
omg Tr!KzZ, congratulations, cos its looking really awesome

You don't need an extension of a couple of hours because entries that are a few hours late are always accepted.

As for the extension, I'd say a week's ought to do it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.