• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Texturing Contest #18 - UI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Don't be so impatient. There's still half a month left.

I'll be making a UI as well. I'm just not prioritizing it yet, because there's so much time. Besides, I'm still not sure what to make.

one more WIP. just cuz i love you guys so much.... :D
BloodElfUI.jpg

Level 38
That's awesome! But I think you should work on the inventory area. It doesn't looks too good; remember you'll need those small backpack icons covering the whole place, and honestly the borders would look better if they went all the way to the top and the sides.

Well, technically the small backpack icons are part of the UI so weather or not they are included is up to the UI's creator. If the design works better without them then taking a few points from fitting in with the other UIs shouldn't be much of a problem.

I agree that the gold bands defining the item locations would look a little better if they extended to the edges though. Looks pretty awesome so far Dentothor :)

Level 26
I've been playing around with the UI to see exactly were the alpha channels are and figured I'd share what I've found with you guys.

View attachment 91059

The red is the part of the UI that can support alpha. Anything below it will appear black, anything above it won't appear on the UI and will be cut off.

The icons are solid green to make them stand out more easily and be more easily selectable. I replaced the resource icons as well, though the WC3 UIs aren't designed for square-edged resource icons. I also have icons were the first hero and idle workers would appear over on the left of the UI.

The map is laid over the UI as a semi-transparent layer, and is rather transparent at that. Any texture underneath it really shows through. Could be interesting in you wanted to do some effect underneath it though. Alphaing out the section of it that protrudes into the red will cause the terrain below to show through it, so I'd recommend staying away from alpha underneath the map.

Alternately, the unit portrait is entirely reliant on alpha channels to show anything. Could be a useful piece of information if you plan on making a UI for a tower defense that only uses doodads for units, though I don't imagine anyone will cover it up.

Anyways, I also included a .tga version to make magic wand selections and similar opramands easier for anyone who would like to use this.

so are the icons for abilities and items overlayed on top? or is the UI on top of the icons? (like if you wanted to make a filter or an odd shape overlaying the icons? and do you know if the UI can support semi transparent alpha channels? or is it an "all or nothing" sort of deal?

.... also i might join because pyramidhead is joining :3

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Meh.. some quick stuff that might turn into something later. It's not enough troll right now, though, so I will most likely redo a lot of it.

CTUIsketch-1.png

Meh.. some quick stuff that might turn into something later. It's not enough troll right now, though, so I will most likely redo a lot of it.

CTUIsketch-1.png
When I looked at it I thought that it was samurai or red dragon themed, or dragon hunter themed, and I thought that it was pretty creative and cool.
But I have to admit that I was disappointed to hear it was about a Troll UI.

IMO you should stick to it but give it a different theme, as the details go on.

Level 38
so are the icons for abilities and items overlayed on top? or is the UI on top of the icons? (like if you wanted to make a filter or an odd shape overlaying the icons? and do you know if the UI can support semi transparent alpha channels? or is it an "all or nothing" sort of deal?

.... also i might join because pyramidhead is joining :3

All the icons are projected on top of the UI, so essentially none of them can be hidden by modifying the UI. The sun and moon display on the day-night indicator can be hidden with alpha however, but the eight lights that appear around it can not. The map would largely be hidden if a solid white layer was underneath it, but that has more to do with it being a sort of additive or add-alpha materiel.

So only the day-night indicator, unit portrait, and whatever chunks of the screen the UI borders extend to can be hidden by neglecting alpha channels.

Looks like a lot of attention was suddenly directed to this thread, now this is turning into a contest :p

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

CHaos Troll?

That's the idea, anyway. :p

When I looked at it I thought that it was samurai or red dragon themed, or dragon hunter themed, and I thought that it was pretty creative and cool.
But I have to admit that I was disappointed to hear it was about a Troll UI.

IMO you should stick to it but give it a different theme, as the details go on.
You don't like trolls? Well, the Chaos Trolls aren't your average Blizzard troll apart from their physical appearance. Without letting out too much details, the Chaos Trolls are, in a sense, related to red dragons, which is why I've used some dragon-hinting elements, but I just think there's too much of it right now. Might keep it though. Thanks anyway.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

CTUI%20Sketch%205.png

Updated. :3

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 6
It's cool man...But one single question....It will be that cartoony(the left side I mean)?..Or you will make it much more "realistic"

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

It will be as realistic as my usual style.

Level 38
@ Pyramidhe@d: Looks pretty epic

@ shiiK: Looks pretty cool so far, I really like the skull on the inventory cover. If you are doing chaos trolls I'd suggest making the pentagram on the day/night indicator more of a genaric demonic rune, right now your UI is taking on a distinctly Diablo feel.

@Pyramidhe@d it's kind a cartoonish, hmm maybe make it more warcraft-ish.

I find it funny how much this hole sentence is wrong.

Warcraft IS CARTOONISH, XD

and I belive Pyramidhead did a really good job, and the only thing he needs to add, is maybe add a few more angles to what is represented. In fact, to simply make his UI abit more 3D by making the perspective abit more important and to make it less 2D..

Status
Not open for further replies.