• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Texturing Contest #30 - Poll

Which of these fine entry merits your vote? Choose carefully.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
thread_hive_logo-png.311520

ct_texturing-png.311503
contest-png.311487

p_hash-png.311483
3-png.311476
0-png.311473

thread_poll-png.311518

untitled-1-png.319130

Art by: Wietze Fopma

Mythological Characters

Texture an ingame/custom model that resembles a character from any Mythology (Norse, Greek etc).

Welcome to the Texturing Contest #30 Poll - Please read the rules before voting!

other_rules_and_conditions-png.311513

• Each user can vote multiple entries.
  • You cannot vote for yourself. If a voter has the same IP as the author then the vote will not be counted and it may result in the disqualification of the entry.
  • You cannot create multiple accounts to vote for an entry in the poll. If a voter has been found to be using multiple accounts none of the voters votes will count in the final result.
  • You cannot bribe users for votes. Contestants who break this rule will be disqualified and given negative reputation.

other_prizes-png.311512

• First Place: 45 reputation points and your entry on an award icon. Also the chance of getting a unique thematic rank icon done specifically regarding preference.
    • Second Place: 30 reputation points and an award icon
    • Third Place: 15 reputation points and an award icon

other_entries-png.311509

other_judges-png.311510

• ~Nightmare
  • PeeKay
  • Each judge will receive 5 reputation points.
other_contest_judging-png.311506

Shading
Does the unit fit into the WCIII lighting environment? Is the source of light consistent? Does the unit have a realistic 3D shape enhanced by the shading? Is each individual part shaded according to the material?/30%

Concept
Does the design of the unit suit the model it is wrapped on? Has the author come up with creative ways to change parts of the model into something new? Does the unit fit into the style of WCIII?/40%

Details
Does the unit appear blurry and bland in-game? Are the details appropriate and realistically placed? Are the materials in use easily recognized?/30%

• 75 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • 25 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.
other_disclaimer-png.311508

Inviting your friends to vote for you, bribing random members with rep and otherwise cheating with the VB poll system will get you DISQUALIFIED, BANNED from future contests, -REPPED, and possibly INFRACTED. So don't do it!

This includes, but is not limited to, sending PMs out to various users, getting other people to send those PMs, advertising this contest on other sites with the intention to gain more votes (whether it is explicitly stated or not), and so on. If you are suspected of cheating, the staff will notify you and interrogate you (hopefully) over PMs. <3​

Last edited:
Level 29
Mythological creature, character theme is a bit trechery theme, is not a real creature, a lab creature, an alien creature, it must be mithologyc, it means in the age of myths, and myths are most likely old and not real but they have some logic, like:
centaurs: half human, half horse.
minotaurs, half humans, half bull.
cyclops: like wc3 orges.
medusa, pegasus, hydra, cerberus 3 heads dog.
those are greek mythology.
egiptian mythology, the fenix, sphinx, half human / half scorpid, Anubis: half human half cannis, like the frontpage.
wc3 has a lot of units taken from pre-existant mythology. even naga has been based in greek sirens.

Arowanna entry looks great, very detailed blue thin and also the belly lines, but IMO, a zerg is not a mythological creature, of course it may look like one, but I feel I am not seeing a mythological creature/character but a very cool hydraliskc that is an alien futurist theme. the other entries have some kind of "new thing done", wile the hydralisk is an hydralisk. A dragon or a centaur are more mythological IMO.

PrinceYaser entry Artemis also looks awsome with a lot of detail in the bow, robes, is perfect, I really like it. probably one of the best archers skins I can remember, there was an NE model with very high quality too.
but a human female archer, not much for a creature.

Wildfire entry looks interesting and strange, a face in the belly?, but in terms of quality, the shoulders could have more detail, more lines of different color, same goes for the boots and the pants, and in terms of concept (the headless one but it has a helmet, how doesnt fall?)

NEbuilder entry is some sort of succubi, and by name Lilith. I like the accesories use.
succubi are creatures from medieval leyends: wikipedia

The word "succubus" originates from the late 14th century

There were four original queens of the demons: Lilith, Eisheth, Agrat bat Mahlat, and Naamah.[5] A succubus may take a form of a beautiful young girl but closer inspection may reveal deformities of her body, such as bird-like claws or serpentine tails.
Succubus - Wikipedia

I also remember succubi not only from warcraft lore, also in seven kingdoms conquest, in that game were humans and deamons, humans had diplomats, deamons succubi to do diplomacy, to spy, and bribe enemy cities. while human diplomats were crap for combat, succubi did stand as a tier 1 combat unit.

while all entries looks awsome great!!, I feel NEbuilder was very original doing a succubi, so because of that + quality, got my vote.
another plus is that he used a hiveworkshop model to do the skin and not a wc3 model.
to be honest there are many archer skins/models or sorceress skins, but to do a hiveworkshop
model, new skin, to me thats new.

all this is IMO, so is subjetive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 29
The theme is Mythological "Characters", not "Creatures". So it can be anything, as long as it's mythological.

Also Artemis is a Greek goddess, which makes it an exact mythological character.

But thanks anyway!

I read bad, dont know why I understand creature instead of character, got biased by the anubis screenshot. sorry for my mistake.

There was a moment that tryed to do an high-blood elf map, and shure I had many of archer options to use.
If I would have to do a sucubbi map, probably I couldnt because lacking of models and or skins.
so in terms of uniqueness, I like the succubi as something rare.

but since multiple votes are allowed, if I could go back, I would have voted both PrinceYaser and Nebuilder, since both have great quality.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 11
I agree with most of what Ragnaros17 said, but I will continue with Artemis.
I think PrinceYaser's work is excellent, do not get me wrong, but I do not think it's the same Artemis from Greek mythology. Artemis, in mythology, was a goddess associated with hunting, but also with the moon, and I do not see that embodied in a BE model. In addition, it is evident that she is an archer, but ko as much as a hunter, but rather as a military archer. For that reason, and in spite of being a great texturized, I do not think that Artemis can be such, so it does not fit with the theme.
The same should be said for the other two textures, which do not fit the theme (unless we consider the hustoria and Warcraft as mythology, to which, with so many followers, I am not opposed at all :)) That's why I consider that, and being that Lilith is a great representative of the Judeo-Christian mythology (it hurts whoever hurts, nothing really differentiates the mythology from religion), and, by the way, very cunning, since the majority ignores their existence (poor Lilith) , Nightelfbuilder deserves my vote.
Beyond that, great congratulations to all, guys. I warn you that I will use these excellent textures.

Edit: Wait a second... A total of 133.3%? Moderators, please review that, since it looks like a data manipulation.
Edit 2: Forgive this... The multiple vote makes everything possible...

Last edited:
Level 10
voted for NEbuilder on this one, coz imma sucker for biblical/greek/norse myth. the texturing is good but can be done a little bit better but the Prime Matron model was perfect and gives justice for nebuilder's concept Lilith the mother of demons. "Wings, horns, hooves? What are we saying, is this Diablo?" :D
yes, Arowanna's entry is stunning with those colors and shadings and stuffs. But if Arowanna based it from the mythological Aztec creature Quetzalcoatl than WoW Hakkar (yes ik, hakkar was based on the aztec quetzal) that i'll buy coz its much original for me than basing it off on a creature in a game that is based on an already mythological creature, that takes an amount of "originality" score off for me.
PrinceYaser's work are good too. not bcoz its from Greek myth but the colors and the shadings are very neat to look at. it boosted the model's impact it was based on to.
Wildfire's concept are cool but the shading and texturing can be done further. some of the textures are stretched so its blurry, the shoulder pads looks like it was cut coz there is no lining on the end of it. what i like bout this is the green colors which is to be a ghostly smoke something lol. if only that is animated or the model it was based on to have that kind of particle?(what u called that texture that are moving? dunno what its called forgive me lol) that would look GHOSTLY!. but this is texturing so yea :D

but hey, these artists give their best efforts on making this wonderful textures. Job well done to all of you!! and thanks to the Host of this contest!

Status
Not open for further replies.