• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Cinematic Contest #2 - Poll

Who made the best cinematic?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 34
The Hive Workshop

Cinematic Contest #2 Poll

Welcome to the poll for the latest Cinematic Contest. Please read through the rules before voting!
  • Each user can only vote once in the poll.
  • You cannot vote for yourself. If a voter has the same IP as the author then the vote will not be counted and it may result in the disqualification of the entry.
  • You cannot create multiple accounts to vote for an entry in the poll. If a voter has been found to be using multiple accounts none of the voters votes will count in the final result.
  • You cannot bribe users for votes. Yes, this is seriously a rule now.
Contest Prizes And Winnings

First Place: 30 reputation points and a special award icon
Second Place: 15 reputation points
Third Place: 5 reputation points
Submissions

Level 31
Finally see it was here.

Ok folks, vote for your favourite map. Some map are leading by a small margin, they might probably need your vote to get first place.

Good luck to all participant and may the best person win.

And watch all cinematic before you vote or else it won't be fair. XD

I have request General Frank to make a love shape icon for this contest.

Such a nice concidence, the contest end before valentine day was over. XD

Level 12
so

Agony-the music didnt fit the cinematic, and it was made from separated scenes which do not really fits each other in solid plot. Terrain average, cameras average, not very much to rate.

2/5

AwkwardAffection-very funny map, little bit laggy in that meadow though, music&dabing&terrain well done

4/5

Broken Promise-it was artistic, all was ok, but I cannot take the end, it is good it was not completed but I dont like it either.

3.5/5

Ice Heart-bad camera movement, and the story.., well if i would be lich king, in my palace will be more soldiers to protect me, so no random party of heroes can interrupt me. It was too long, and boring. And the fights were lame.

1/5

Cecile-brave try, but it is almost impossible to make 21th century terrain into wc3, it had edge of map visible, and terrain was just simple, story was ok, not bad. Just why the helicopter is smaller than the units?

2.5/5

Level 12
so

Agony-the music didnt fit the cinematic, and it was made from separated scenes which do not really fits each other in solid plot. Terrain average, cameras average, not very much to rate.

2/5

AwkwardAffection-very funny map, little bit laggy in that meadow though, music&dabing&terrain well done

4/5

Broken Promise-it was artistic, all was ok, but I cannot take the end, it is good it was not completed but I dont like it either.

3.5/5

Ice Heart-bad camera movement, and the story.., well if i would be lich king, in my palace will be more soldiers to protect me, so no random party of heroes can interrupt me. It was too long, and boring. And the fights were lame.

1/5

Cecile-brave try, but it is almost impossible to make 21th century terrain into wc3, it had edge of map visible, and terrain was just simple, story was ok, not bad. Just why the helicopter is smaller than the units?

2.5/5

I agree with you on most of these. I admit that mine sucked. It was a rush job that I did before I even knew much about the key elements of a good cinematic. I think if I could have just made some more epic terrain, better fight scenes, and perhaps had some voice actors and custom music, it wouldn't have seemed so,
long, and boring.
All in all, I wish I could have submitted the cinematic I just started making, which already looks much better. However, I welcome criticism, because even though I am now twice as good at cinematography as I was then, I am always willing to learn from past mistakes.

However,
well if i would be lich king, in my palace will be more soldiers to protect me, so no random party of heroes can interrupt me.

In the Throne room, he was having a fight with himself. I doubt he would want his guards to witness such strange behavior. Outside the palace, the idea is that that he is having a secret meeting, and Jaina and her party have already made it past the guards.

bad camera movement

It's not epic, but I've seen worse. I think if I had to rate the camera movement alone, I would give it a 2/5

Last edited:
Level 19
Thrikodius haz everything
-humor
-originality
-romance
-drama
-nice terrain
idk about teh sound cuz im sound-less now but you definitely get my vote lord of phail

Level 11
It seems like I can't open Avator's cinematic. When it's done loading my Wc3 just shuts down. The same thing happened with the last part of Sect of the Holy Mother. I'll try to watch it on another computer and place my vote afterwards.

Maybe it's protected? Have you tried putting it in your maps folder and starting it from the game.

Level 28
Thrikodius said:
It seems like I can't open Avator's cinematic. When it's done loading my Wc3 just shuts down. The same thing happened with the last part of Sect of the Holy Mother. I'll try to watch it on another computer and place my vote afterwards.
Maybe it's protected? Have you tried putting it in your maps folder and starting it from the game.

I wouldn't complain about an error if I hadn't tried all the ways. I don't always fail. :xxd:

Level 23
Well, Thrikodius' Awkvard Affection was definitly my favorite. It was humoristic, had a nice concept, an expected twist at the end and great terrain qualities.

The Broken Promise would be my second choice. The story was good as well, had a matching theme/music. The voiceacting was ok. Sad ending...

For all the other submissions I found it more difficult to place you.

The Cecile cinematic was sure original since it takes place in a futuristic realm. However like someone mentioned previously, it is hard to make that work in wc3. A nice try though.

The Agony and the Ice heart cinematic would be pleased with some voiceacting I think. Other than that I am satisfied.

Good job everyone. My vote goes to Thrikodius.

Level 23
Well, okay, so never mind that then:p. Another thing I would have wanted was perhaps a little bit more polishing on the terrain. Also, even though it didn't matter, make the player slots locked. Or was it multiplayer viewable? That is a small plus in that case.

Level 18
Meh the thing is I fixed the player slots and everything was a bit better in the submission I sent to Septimus, however here is another older submission from me but nevermind that.

It wasn't MP viewable. Anyway, I will vote now, and well it isn't a hard decision to make:

Avator: Good idea, nice battle and music, however you didn't manage to do it good and correct till the end.

Cobra_B: Hasted a bit.

Nbah: Nice terrain, looked good, but I felt something was missing.

Thrikodius: My vote goes for him, since he done a good job making it fun and nice to watch.

Level 12
Cobra_B: Hasted a bit.

What do you mean? In what way? I mean, I know I rushed it and it turned out not so good, but what gave it away? I have my own opinions, but I want to know what other people think so that I can improve my cinematography for future maps.

Level 8
I Voted for Thrikodius :p it was just so meh lol! Gay Ogre-spider love! xD
And the battle was nice ofcource.

Level 34
Sorry, I thought Septimus might tally the results himself. I guess I'll do it after work. Hang tight.

Level 11
Well, here is my review guys. Sorry for being so late. I have been busy ;)

Cameras:

Nothing special about the cameras. Somewhat boring, although they served their purpose and drifted the attention away with a few zooms and swings. (+)

You might want to focus a little more on them in your future submissions. Nothing wrong with a little epic landscape shots and a few more strong angles.

Terrain:

The terrain wasn't that good and sometimes it felt a little weird. Though there were places where it wasn't that bad, a highly spawned cornfield followed up by an empty hill is not so good. Maybe you should try bringing more variant vegetation and scatter it around everywhere.Try adding a stronger and more variant fog. (-)

Storyline:

I liked this storyline, it was definatly entertaining and had a lesson to teach. It brought great interest in me. (+)

Overall:

A nice submission that is definitely worth attention. Altough a few things are amiss there are good things as well. The cameras could use some work and maybe the terrain could be tweaked. The storyline brings interest and appeals to the watcher.

3.5/5

Cameras:

I liked your cameras, Thrikodius. They had pretty good angles with a few minor annoyances. I liked the beginning sequence camera-like intro and such. You should not let the cameras stop in one place, though. It's better if the cameras move slowly but continue to move throughout the whole session than to suddenly stop. That's only my taste, though so I will not take it in notice and it's nothing serious really. It's just how I try to do it. (+)

Terrain:

The terrain was pretty good. It had some nice vegetation use and a good use of fog. Try to add a diffrent grass model and use it a little on the roads, add a little more rocks. You could use some height variation. (+)

The meadow was ok, but I kinda think you could have done that effect withought spamming a couple of grass models everywhere and making your map lag at several points. (-)

Storyline:

A pretty interesting story. Love between an ogre and a spider is quite amusing and fun to watch. Originality also comes at hand with this one. (+)

Overall:

Very good submission. Cameras were nice with a little notes. Terrain was also good, ofcourse it also could use a little more improvements. The storyline is pretty interesting and amusing. A well deserved:

4/5

Cameras:

Camera's were ok. You could use more diffrent angles and stuff. They weren't horrible but they could use some more work. (-)

Terrain:

The terrain wasn't that good. You should really work on it. From height variation to proper prop placement and such. You could use a more variated city instead just a road surrounded with buildings. Try to make different paths of road with buildings and such, just to make it more interesting. Try to avoid blizzard cliffs as well, instead use the Raise tool in the Terrain Palette. (-)

Storyline:

The storyline was a bit interesting. It drove attention, so It's not all that bad. (+)

Overall:

It's not the best submission, but it's definitely not a horrible trash. With a bit of practise I feel that you can make much more, and I'm eager to see more of your work Cobra. You have to work on your cameras and definitely on the terrain. So for now you get:

2.5/5

Cameras:

The cameras were pretty good. I liked them. (+)

Terrain:

Not so good. You could see the end of the world in many places. And there's nothing much to see except a couple of models placed. I think that the whole 21 century isn't whole that great for terrain. (-)

Storyline:

The storyline was pretty good. It certaintly entertained me. (+)

Although, I feel like you diverted from the main theme of the competition. You concentrated more on fighting than the whole love theme. (-)

Overall:

A good submission. I suggest next time to base your storyline on something diffrent. Although yours was pretty original it wasn't really executed good. I liked the fighting scenes but give more attention to the romance moments. I give you:

3.5/5

Level 2
I am going to go for Nbah with The Broken Promise. Though the voice acting was a tad off putting, the direction, song choice and terrain seemed to click. Well done. :)

Level 34
Results on the weekend now. Having trouble with my new computer. If anyone has a good heat sink I can have....

Level 28
It looks pretty bad when you look at the posts. Cause all but two who posted says they voted for me. And when I read the posts I feel bad. I feel a little bad when I look at the votes.

Strange, in the other contests I have entered I have lost big time and thought: Well, I suck...
And now that I'm in the lead I feel bad for having more votes. Please bring the others a little closer to make me feel better. %P

Level 31
Do not be too happy even if you won the public poll as 75% of the score depends on me.

I currently having a rather bad internet connection to access to hiveworkshop in this past few days, so I might response rather slow regarding about it.

Before this poll was closed, all participant are encourage to edit their map to be better. I would make a final evaluation which could possibly give you more point on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 34
No Septimus, that isn't going to happen. I'll try and get the results up tomorrow, if I don't spend all day working on my computer.

Not sure I can close polls, so I'll just close the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.