• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Cinematic Contest #2 - Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why? I think they're cool too ^_^
They are to hard to see behind all the treetops, making them look small not big far away mountains.. But yeah, I like them pointy too.

EDIT: Heres a update, I still don't really like it though..

Attachments

• TopSecret2.jpg
    TopSecret2.jpg
    337.9 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
Level 24
They are to hard to see behind all the treetops, making them look small not big far away mountains.. But yeah, I like them pointy too.

EDIT: Heres a update, I still don't really like it though..

Well in my opinion the pointy mountains in the background is what ruins it. Its a great terrain, apart from the mountain, which just look way to strange, as they are way to pointy and too small.

Well in my opinion the pointy mountains in the background is what ruins it. Its a great terrain, apart from the mountain, which just look way to strange, as they are way to pointy and too small.
Well, the other parts need work too, but thats the main problem.

How's other peoples progress comming along? I'm still pretty sure I wont be able to make it in time.. I hope sombody else does though.

Attachments

• tesastagra.jpg
    tesastagra.jpg
    337.6 KB · Views: 119
Level 18
Submision

Submision from bounty hunter2:
------------------------------
Cinematic name: Agony
Genre: Drama/Love
Map size: 4526 Kb ( The size is big as I didn't want to compress the song )
Custom stuff: Imported only music, loading screen and minimap
Music: Maia Hirasawa: The Worrying Kind
Duration: 3.24
Testing: zaba24

Attachments

• 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 212
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 205
  • 1 (Medium).jpg
    1 (Medium).jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 185
  • Agony.w3x
    4.4 MB · Views: 130
Last edited:
The music you've used, bountyguy, is it free to use from the creator? Because if not then your submission breaks the map submission rules I think with the part that maps must not "Contain stolen, pirated or uncredited material". This would then fall in under the pirated material, unless ofcourse this is free to use music, like stuff from sites like Newgrounds.com.

What do you mean a song from your dad for free? Like, is it a song your dad made, or is it a song by a well-known artist that you got from your dad? Because getting it from your dad is not much different than getting it from Piratebay or Limewire you know. It's still distributing copyrighted material.

And Nbah, this is not a matter of wether or not you own the cd, or in this case game, that the music is taken from, it's about you redistributing it.

Anyway, I might be totally wrong on this in the end and the judges will disregard the rules, what do I know (waits for the moderator to reply).

Level 28
What do you mean a song from your dad for free? Like, is it a song your dad made, or is it a song by a well-known artist that you got from your dad?

Well there aren't many who knows about them but it's not my dad's song. He wanted to start playing the guitar though but he never got around to it. I got there first :p.
The song was made by Pretty Maids. I will use it in the credits list.

Level 28
Im done with the beta. Only problem is that it's 5.2 MB. I have to reduce the file size befpre I upload it. The end won't cause much more file size though. I belive I have a good way to fix it without removing stuff. I won't use that song for the credits...

EDIT: And by reducing the fade filter's size from 512x512 to 256x256 I reduced the filesize by 800 KB.
Here's the cinematic. I will make the end now and update the terrain at some spots. And work on eventual tips from you people. And trust me, you haven't seen all of it untill you've seen the end if you get what I mean.
View attachment AwkwardAffection.w3x

Last edited:
Level 28
Final Submission

Your submission must be posted before the deadline. The post containing your final submission must also contain the following:
Several screenshots of terrain and dialogue.
The file in the appropriate format.

I hope 8 is enough. Not much on dialog though. I don't want people to be able to see the entire story without watching it.

Your final submission must be bug free.

I hope that you don't take that too seriously cause appart from the ogre, I only have bugs in my cinematic. ^^
Lenght is about 6 min and 40 sec (7 min and 44 sec if you count credits).
Unfortunately I couldn't get background music for the dialog moments. None of the already existing ones would fit and I was kinda out of space for importing.

Here's the map and the screenshots: View attachment AwkwardAffection.w3x

Preview1.jpg Preview2.jpg Preview3.jpg Preview4.jpg
Preview5.jpg Preview6.jpg Preview7.jpg Preview8.jpg

Last edited:
Level 11
This is my BETA. Ummm.. can your size exceed over 5 MB? I'm trying to do voice acting and I see that without it I don't think the map will be that good? So can you give an external link to your map if it exceeds 5 MB?

Attachments

• The Broken PromiseBETA.w3x
    4.5 MB · Views: 76
Level 18
I guess it can be as big as you want, since there are no size limitations for the contest and it's not for multiplayer gaming.

EDIT: Awkward Affection gets an really high score from me even though it's not completed yet and there are 2 typo's in it (See is with dubble E and it's 'For the love of God' not 'For the love of good' :gg: The 'See' typo is a few lines before the 'For the love of good' line). Especially the last part is hilarious and I can't wait to see how it ends (Probably with an even more hilarious twist xD)

EDIT 2: Nbah, please change the in-game name of your map (the one changeable in 'Map Description...') to a normal name. A name like 'Contest submission' would already be a terrible name, but you picked something that's not related to this contest in any way by calling it 'The Ultimate Terraining Map'! That's really terrible! You used some kind of sample map and you didn't even changed the Map Description?

EDIT 3: Nbah, even though you made a really dumb mistake, I think your map is very good, but a bit pointing towards the known story of a forbidden love, where 1 can't make it to their secret meetings and either of them suicides or they get cought. The camera effects and camera angles are well done.
For future viewers: You'll have to shut down Warcraft III with Alt+F4, since User Control is disabled and the cinematic isn't complete. This means there's no Menu to open and no Victory/Defeat Screen or any other kind of way to exit the map besides Alt+F4. Do not worry: Alt+F4 will open the regular 'Exit Warcraft III?' confirmation screen, just like when you choose Exit Program in the Menu.

Last edited:
Level 18
Oh right. Sorry I forgot about yours. I actually checked it a while ago already.
Anyway, I think your map is good quality, but there were a few points though. There are some screen switches where the screen goes black all of the sudden for a few seconds, while going to a new scene, like the graveyard, the old town, the new town, etc. Especially after creating a good mood, nice fading effects at the right times, this is a big shame, because people will suddenly think 'Hey, is my game crashing?', and they'll lose the mood they were in. Real shame.
Also the camera has t go through the baluster in the prison when the woman is taken away. It's not much and unavoidable when you want to go through, but it's just something I noticed.
It's 'and a child was born', not borned :gg:
Finally, it's not what people think about with 'love' when it's about the love of their kids, but it's definitely worth to make people think about other kinds of love then just a man and a woman in any kind of intimate relationship.

All with all, I think (if you fix the sudden black screen issue) this could have a very good chance of winning. If you're not allowed to use that track in your map (I don't know if it's allowed or not), then my suggestion is using Requiem for a Dream. It's a open source track that fits very well with mute video displays (video's or cinematics that have do not use voices) like yours.

Level 18
Hey thanks on the comment, and I asked the mods for the music, they said its ok. I will see what I will do with the screens, as I can't realy make them fade over some time, because I used the dream filter, and if I try to fade out over some time it will look odd, I will try to think something up in the coming hours, as tomorrow is closing date for the contest.

Level 11
Avator, thanks for the criticism. Yeah, I'm going to fix those things in my final version. Also adding voices and doing the terrain. And yes, it does exceed the limit when adding voices. Since there's a lot of story in mine.

Level 28
Awkward Affection gets an really high score from me even though it's not completed yet and there are 2 typo's in it. Especially the last part is hilarious and I can't wait to see how it ends (Probably with an even more hilarious twist xD)

I belive you missed this post or just a part of it, maybe the one that says... Final Submission. I belive you have watched the incomplete vertion while there was a finished one just a few post further down. To be exact, there was only one in between.

Ohh, the irony of yours :D

I belive you saw the entire thing then, unlike some others... I won't mention any names. Maybe just that it starts with an A and ends with vator. :p

By the way, your doodad count is allmost OVER 9000!!!!!11111.
You might wanna lower it a bit.

(Hint) Scale some of the models large, and put them up in the front.

The doobad count is mostly the grass. I had to make it look good from all the angles and to acomplish that I needed quite a few of them. If you open the map you will see how big the space inbetween is in some places. Other than the grass it's bushes, shrubs, flowers and ferns. Just to take the uglyness away from the base of the trees.

We only have one 100% complete submission, and that just wont do. :p

Another one who missed the Final Submission part... :cgrin:

BTW:
OVER 9000!!!!!11111
That's fail. XD

Level 12
Aww, man! I only discovered this a day ago! I think it may be a little too late to join, now, but it looks fun. I'm in, but I'm not sure how much of a quality map I can produce in less than 7 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.