• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Cinematic Contest #2 - Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
Okay, this is my final version of my map. And a couple of screenshots. Couldn't get any ingame sorry, whenever I try to make screenshots ingame they turn out black don't know why. Maybe cuz I was messing with the border. I hope it's not a big worry. Sorry for the big filesize, voice acting pretty much screwed me. But I think the map is pretty empty without it:

The Broken Promise

Attachments

• WC3ScrnShot_121208_213510_02.jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_121208_213510_02.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 237
  • WC3ScrnShot_121208_213535_03.jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_121208_213535_03.jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 234
  • WC3ScrnShot_121208_213427_01.jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_121208_213427_01.jpg
    387.3 KB · Views: 275
Last edited:
Level 18
Shame you call it your final map. I could barely hear the voice actors and my sound is just right. Besides that I didn't find anything unusual, strange or something to comment. It's a good story and a well made cinematic in my opinion. You got a good chance of winning and I wish you good luck :wink:

Level 18
Let's BUTT (Bring Up This Thread)!

Here's a little WIP of my project. Not sure if I'll be able to make it in time because my terraining skills are terrible and it takes a lot of time, but I'll try.

Attachments

• Cecile loading screen.jpg
    Cecile loading screen.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 752
  • Cecile opening.jpg
    Cecile opening.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 152
Level 12
Okay. I finished the terraining and planning and now all I need to do is add triggers and polish the map up one last time. So, to prove that it's mine, here's an un-triggered but fully terrained, unfinished version.

P.S.
The story is about Arthas an Jaina, beginning with a memory from Arthas' days in Lordaeron, and then taking place in the present time of Azeroth, when Jaina sets out to bring an end to the reign of the Lich King.

EDIT: I just realized that I forgot to change the map name from Ultimate terrainign Map to Ice Heart. I used the ultimate terraining map too make the cinematic. Hope this did not cause any confusion.

Attachments

• Ice Heart.w3x
    4.2 MB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Level 18
I fear very much that I'll won't be able to finish my cinematic before tomorrow. I know there's already been an extension, but with 1 week more I can finish my entry. And I believe there was another person who wanted to join the contest, so he could have profit of that extension too. Upcoming week are the holidays for me, so I got enough time then to complete it.

To give you a little idea of what's finished so far:
  • Script - 100%
  • Imports - 90%
  • Terraining - 40%
  • Triggering - 50%

Well, I stopped even trying on my map awhile ago (which I sorta regret) and even though the little bit that I have right now is junk, I might as well post it so you can tell vuagely what it was going to be about.

Pressing escape brings up a (Unfinished) menu.

Good luck and have fun to the other contestants. :thumbs_up:

Attachments

• Cinematic.w3x
    1.1 MB · Views: 72
Level 12
Final Cinematic

Okay, it looks like I was able to make it. This is the final draft of my cinematic and a few screenshots. I would have done a beta, but it doesn't look like there's much time left. I'm not even sure if the cinematic falls within the time limits. But I think it's very good. I would have done voice acting, but not only did I not have time, my new(-ish) computer did not come with voice-recording software http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/images_all/smilies/thumbs_downg.gif. Anyway, hope you like it! http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/images_all/smilies/thumbs_upg.gif

Attachments

• WC3ScrnShot_121908_232535_.tga
    3 MB · Views: 66
  • WC3ScrnShot_121908_233107_.tga
    3 MB · Views: 60
  • WC3ScrnShot_121908_232711_.tga
    3 MB · Views: 64
  • WC3ScrnShot_121908_232213_.tga
    3 MB · Views: 72
  • Ice Heart.w3x
    4.2 MB · Views: 45
Level 12
Updated Screenshots

Yeah, sorry about that. I was in a bit of a hurry. Here are the images as JPEGs.

Attachments

• WC3ScrnShot_121908_232213_.jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_121908_232213_.jpg
    232 KB · Views: 65
  • WC3ScrnShot_121908_232535_.jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_121908_232535_.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 67
  • WC3ScrnShot_121908_233107_.jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_121908_233107_.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 71
  • WC3ScrnShot_121908_232711_.jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_121908_232711_.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 73
Level 18
CoBrA B, about your map:
The first thing I noticed was the really, really, really weird floor in the house where they're celebrating in the first scene. It's like there are 10 layers of different floors switching every 0.10 seconds! It's really annoying.
The second thing (when just outside), Jaina runs bac and the camera goes through 5 houses. It's a bit strange to see. Also just after that, you'll notice the banners on the backgroun clearly hanging through the roof.
The scene's until the boat were good. It might have been a good idea to set animation speed of the boat to 0% though.
At the assault, they group together, but they're not facing the right way. You know it's very rude to stand with you back towards someone who's talking to you :gg:
At the crystal place, Arthas has a big line. Nevertheless, he can say there with only 1 H. Thhere is no other way to spell it :wink:
When changing camera angle, you'll see the Lich King waiting long, long before he comes in action, so that's no real big surprise.
The rest of the cinematic went smoothly.

All with all, this may look like a list with a lot of complains, but seeing the time you've been given to make this, I think it's well spend time. If you can fix these things, I think you got a entry of equal winning chance as the rest :thumbs_up:

@Bounty Hunter 2: Thanks for the feedback on that. I'm a terrible terrainer, so I'm already very impressed by this. I'm trying to make it up to it with my triggers. Even if I'm not able to make it for the contest, I'll finish it and probably publish it for fun. I tried to make a triggered 'AI' for the citizens and cars to make it look like a real city with real people ^^

Level 18
Nope. I'm going to sleep now (I wanted too half an hour ago, but I decided to review CoBrA b's cinematic first) and the contest ends tomorrow at noon. Anyway if by any coincidence I seem to get enough time to finish it, I'll use it for sure :wink:

Level 11
If you can't make it Avator, let's ask for a couple of days more extension so you can finish. It'll be pretty evil for you to have thrown so much work on it and in the end to be left out because you needed one or two days more. So, if you can't make it, I say we extend it just a little more to wait for ya ^_^

Level 12
Ice Heart Gold(?)

Thanks for the comments, Avator! I updated my cinematic based on them and a few other things I noticed. I'm calling the attached map my Gold Version unless anyone has any other comments.

Best of luck to everyone!

Attachments

• Ice Heart.w3x
    4.2 MB · Views: 61
Level 18
@CoBrA b: You've fixed those previous issues well. The only thing I could comment on this version is that the camera goes through the yellow paladin when Kel'Thuzad comes in play become the new Lich King. It's become a good cinematic and good luck in the contest :wink:

@bounty hunter2: Thanks for the tips. I'll check the model section to see if I can find any of such models.

@Nbah: Thank you for the support. I sill have time until the contest is officially announced 'finished', so let's hope I got enough time.

EDIT: I can't find any more of such models. I do however already have a container and a garbage bag. The WIPs I send before were of the first scene. The second scene will be in an allay (with containers and garbage :p)

Last edited:
Level 28
Either Hawkwing is not here, or he might be waiting for Avator. In either way I encourage Avator to hurry and get his cinematic done. Just make sure you eat and sleep to cause otherwhise you'll just fall asleep while holding Ctrl+V and there will be 3000 "wait 2 seconds" actions. That will be fail. So place 10 coffe machines by your computer so you can focus.

Level 18
Sure, then I can spill coffee on my computer, monitor, keyboard or whatever! Anyway, I'm working on it now and I got a little issue with the citizen AI and making it leakless. I'm already being helped with it and when it's done, I'll have a lively city to play my cinematic in ^^

Level 18
That remains unknown until somebody posts he has authority to answer those questions officially. I'll leave the citizen AI for what it is, because it has some unknown problems. Currently, I'm working on the triggering. I've divided the cinematic into 5 scenes, an intro and credits. My progress is about like this:

Intro - Completed
Scene #1 (95%)
  • Terrain - 90% (might increase city size if necessary)
  • Triggers - 100%
Scene #2 (30%)
  • Terrain - 0%
  • Triggers - 60%
Scene #3 (70%)
  • Terrain - 100%
  • Triggers - 40%
Scene #4 (10%)
  • Terrain - 0%
  • Triggers - 20%
Scene #5 (75%)
  • Terrain - 100%
  • Triggers - 50%
Credits - 10%
General - 90%
  • Imports - 95%
  • Voices - 90%
  • Citizen AI - 85%

This would bring my overall progress at about 60%. My guess is that my cinematic will be done around friday.

Level 18
If you're allowed to, please tell me, so I can suck up to the contest manager for an extension :gg:

PS: At the moment the file size of my cinematic is about 16MB, which is really weird because in my Import Manager it says I've imported for 17MB of files o_O. Anyway, it's just so you can be prepared xD

Last edited:
Level 18
Contest Judging And Voting
  • Judging Criteria:
    • Entertainment - /20
    • Creativity - /20
    • Storyline - /20
  • 75% of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • 25% of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.

That's what it says here.

EDIT: I thought you people might want to know how things are working out. So here's a little update:
  • 2 of the 3 terrains are completed
  • Attachments for unique swords to recognise characters better is nearly complete
  • 1 of the 5 scenes are complete
  • Citizen AI still not working

To brighten you up a bit, I got a little WIP ^^
I might change the sword's scaling :gg:

Attachments

• Scene 2 WIP.jpg
    Scene 2 WIP.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
Level 18
I really need someone who can add 1 or 2 more attack animations to the model I use. Currently it only got 1 attack animation (which is a stab) and I need to fill about 50 to 60 seconds at least of a battle between 2 characters with that model. Some fight that's going to be with only 1 stab animation :cry:
I already made a request thread for it, but there are very few modellers on THW, leave alone that they will help and leave alone that they can help in time! So for anyone who can put a horizontal or vertical slash into an animation (like the one used by Blizzard's Bandit model) may now raise their hands.

Level 18
That would be perfect! I've made a request for a new assassin model here. If you could do this, I'de be very happy.

PS: You may leave out the sword in the model. I will attach a sword in the character's hand.
PPS: The only attachment point needed for my project are the hands for the weapons.

Level 18
For those interested in my progress: Right now, 2 of the 5 scenes are completed. You can enjoy what's been complete in the attached map.

To prevent any spoilers of the plot, I've removed all unused variables, units, triggers, voice-acting and music from this map. The future will stay unknown territory for you for a little while longer :ctwist:

Because even this file exceeds the attachment file size, you can download the file here.

PS: There's been a little problem with 1 of the voice-acted lines. So there's 1 line where the voice says something different then it's supposed to. Somewhere that file has been overwritten and will soon be fixed. I'm also aware of the fact that some sounds have a bit of 'lag' and aren't heared easily with the background music on. Also these problems will be solved.

Level 12
Okay, so I should PM Septimus? Just tell me if there are any guidelines for stuff the message should contain (other than the map, of course), what it should look like, what it should say, etc., and I'll send it on its way. Sorry, I'm still a bit new, here.

Status
Not open for further replies.