• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Cinematic Contest #3 - Sorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 18

21oalpi.jpg

Cinematic Contest #3
Sorrow
Create a sad/sorrow/agony themed cinematic. The most successful cinematic would be the one, that could make the viewer drop a tear or two.

Contest Rules And Conditions

• No submission may violate any of the site rules.
  • If a submission does not follow the map submission rules the creator will be disqualified.
  • All submissions must follow the current theme.
  • Imports are allowed with proper crediting.
  • Filesize may not exceed 20 Mb.
  • Your submission must be posted before the deadline. The post containing your final submission must also contain the following:
    * Several screenshots of terrain and dialogue.
    * The file in the appropriate format.
  • Your submission may not be started/made before the official launch of the contest.
  • Judges may not participate.
  • Hosts may participate.
  • Teamwork is not allowed.
  • Voice acting is not considered teamwork.
  • Others making resources for your cinematic is considered teamwork.
  • You can make your own resources for the cinematic.
  • Your cinematic must follow the following time limits.
    * Your cinematic must be longer than 5 minutes.
    * Your cinematic may be no longer than 20 minutes.
  • Minimum five submission are needed for the contest
  • If after the deadline passes, there are less then five submission, another four days shall be added to the deadline
  • If after the additional four days pass there aren't five submission the contest shall be prolonged for another four days
  • The maximum extension is 20 days, if after that there aren't five submission the submmited cinematics shall be rated

Contest Prizes And Winnings

• First Place: 40 reputation points and a special award icon
  • Second Place: 30 reputation points
  • Third Place: 15 reputation points

Contest Judging And Voting

• Judges:
    Rui
  • Judging Criteria:
    Suggested: (I am not sure will Rui use any.)
    Criteria

[*] Theme 20%
    [*] Story 20%
    [*] Atmosphere 20%
    [*] Camera 20%
    [*] Terrain 20%
  • 50 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • 50 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.

Contestants List:
  • Aeroblyctos
  • ArcticInferno
  • Avator
  • Bob27 [WIP]
  • bounty hunter2 [WIP]
  • hvo-busterkomo
  • Mechmap
  • xxdingo93xx [WIP]
  • Kingz [WIP]
  • lord_ken
  • hawk900
  • Vicboy
  • Just Spectating
  • CMarket ?

Contest Dates And Deadline

• The contest shall begin on April 1st and conclude on [rainbow]12:00 AM, May 31st[/rainbow] (GMT)

Last edited:
Level 37
CMarket's cinematics are usually too long(I mean his series old series, never watched new ones) and that makes them boring. I think the cinematics should be dynamic(like my crazy super über effect spam cinematic, which won't leave anyone cold)!

I wonder how long the cinematic should be? I won't make any marathon cinematic because it will be once again related to the campaign. Is 5 min good? Or 10 min? What do you think guys?

Level 19
i can see triggering is not a judging criteria so we can leak as we like >:D?
but not make the map laggy off course :p

Level 12
i can see triggering is not a judging criteria so we can leak as we like >:D?
but not make the map laggy off course :p

Of course there is no triggering, it is nonsense to judge this in nonplayable map.

Leaks are allowed untill they doesnt make it lagging. (in fact, everything is allowed if the map itself will be good to watch xd)

very hard theme, at least for this short time 20 minutes.

Level 25
How much MB does a 10 minute cinematic takes?
I mean i want to join cause of a great idea i worked out but i won't participate if a 10 minute cinematic takes about 6MB, why? - dial-up connection i would need to wait one hour or more to upload it, so i will try to make a decent cinematic but i want to know is it possible to make one under 4 MB?
Also can i use an imported skin(only one)?
And are models from UTM allowed for terraining?

Level 14
Read the rules. Imports are allowed with proper crediting.

As for the file size, well, depends. For example the first few map of my SotHM series took about 500kb-1mb each and they lasted for a good 20 minutes(each). However, they didn't use too many imports(a few models and textures with little to no sound).

Audio files take up the most room, especially voice acting. If you plan to exclude this than you can make a 10 min cinematic under 2 mb easily.

Level 17
Wip wip wip

Duuh, that's the typical atmosphere for sorrow! Rain, Lonliness, anywhere in the nature ... ;D
Anyway, looks nice so far.

Grrr I still need a good story. Sorrow is much harder than I thought, especially since you can't express feelings and emotions in Warcraft. (Well, you can, but that's not that easy...) I hope I'll get a brainwave soon ... I want to start working on it!!!

Level 25
Well i won't have any voice in my map( i can but then the filesize would go too much high and i couldn't upload it).
Anyway first images from mine cinematic are attached...
My first cinematic but this is not finished still, currently i am thinking about destroying the ambient lightning and making lightning object based, thus keeping it dark and making an sorrow atmosphere or not...
Basicaly it follows the tale of the main character, retroactively to his current state and how he got where he is...

Attachments

• tmp01.JPG
    tmp01.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 136
  • tmp02.JPG
    tmp02.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 129
  • tmp03.JPG
    tmp03.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 121
  • tmp04.JPG
    tmp04.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 124
Level 25
@bounty hunter2
I know but i must try to make it as low in size as possible cause of my dial-up connection, uploading a 4MB map would take about 2 hours for me...
Also great pic's i am only going to work on my terrain but i know little of terraining and i am going to go on the card of special effects via triggers and maybe making a number of custom spells to help me in the way...

Level 37
@bounty hunter2
I know but i must try to make it as low in size as possible cause of my dial-up connection, uploading a 4MB map would take about 2 hours for me...
Also great pic's i am only going to work on my terrain but i know little of terraining and i am going to go on the card of special effects via triggers and maybe making a number of custom spells to help me in the way...
Where are you from?

Level 25
Well i want to though the phone company prevents us from taking ADSL modem - we are unable to separate your line due to some technical stuff...
But get this:
I tried to get another type of wireless internet via a 3G modem(again phones) and you know what? - it looks like the signal doesn't reach my neighbourhood.

Level 18
Oh no! I'm late. I'm late, I'm late, I'm late! I have to start soon. I wouldn't like being the one to blame for a long extension again.

My submission will continue on the story of my previous Cinematic Contest submission, but you don't have to have seen that cinematic in order to follow the story. People who haven't seen that cinematic will not miss a thing. The name of my cinematic for this contest is:

Cecile
Final Act: Kenontek

Good luck to everyone

Level 17
Here some WIPs :D Note that the city in this picture is not finished yet.

April 4th:
Ok, the city is nearly done. I need some other places as well and I will make those first before posting new pictures I guess.

April 8th:
Nearly finished the village. Added a "beautiful" place in form of a waterfall which takes a special part in my cinematic. What I have left to make is a mine anywhere in a mountain space with a big way and a place in the forest. If I have that, than I can start with the choose of the models. Since my computer causes a lot problems lately (it crashes often ... I just counted it, 13 times from this morning on :D) I am delayed some ... I hope I get it done soon.

Attachments

• Bild 1.jpg
    Bild 1.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 90
  • Bild 3.jpg
    Bild 3.jpg
    270.8 KB · Views: 92
  • Bild 2.jpg
    Bild 2.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 88
  • Bild 4.jpg
    Bild 4.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Level 34
Just a little note.

There was a discussion about making your own models for the contest, and since the rules do not address the issue, you are allowed. They do not need to be added to the site, or made public before you release the cinematic, but remember that maps are not to be protected for contests, and therefore the models will be made public once the contest is over.
Same goes with textures obviously.

Carry on. :smile:

Level 18
@ xxdingo93xx: I think the choice of trees varies a bit too much. The shape variety is fine, but some trees are in the shape like they're needle trees and others are shaped like leaf trees. Those 2 don't or barely stand together. Other then that, it looks quite nice :wink:

In addition to my previous cinematic information: My cinematic length will be around 4-5 minutes long and will show you a new way to make cinematics ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.