• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Cinematic Contest #4 - The Story of...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
Woah, Warny is here. Looking forward to your cinematic, it better be good. :p

Guess you'll just have to wait a see, but nice to see that people are looking forwards.
as for now progress is ok, eventho there is still a couple of actionscene's to be made, and then there is the final tweeking, so it's going to cost me quite a bit of time, not to mention, I have tons of work to do for my college.

offtopic:
ragingspeedhorn:
Yes I changed my Nickname/Buisiness name from warnicro to Hemlock.

Level 13
Just a short question (seeing I am really tightly looking at the scedule and seeing if I can remotly make it).
The final date and time before you should have submitted the cinematic is on Thursday 23:59? or Friday 23:59?
I'd reccon the first answer, but just incase.

Level 14
I have a question. How does crediting models we've taken from the UTM work? I don't know which guy created what so what should I do? Add them all in the credits? Copy and paste all the names from the UTM trigger comment to my own trigger comment?

Level 14
Alright, here is my entry. Just before the deadline.

As was mentioned, the title of the cinematic is the Clown of As'Latur.

I believe the story might be a bit too complex for some of you which is why I'll also upload a readme that will explain anything you might not understand about the story. Please, please, watch the cinematic and try to figure out as much as you can on your own before reading this.

Attachments

• Clown of As'Latur - Explanation.doc
    31 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
Level 35
This contest ends today at 23:59 GMT.

"#"# I really wish I could swear loud here.. Damn I first saw this now.. I somehow got the impression it was Friday 12pm.

Hmm yea well.. seems like all is said and done then :sad:

Wish I could mass Spam sad emotions right now :eekani:

People, look forward to see what should have been my entry here.. uploaded to hive maps instead...

Level 13
5, if you reckoned me as well :p
In that case, shouldn't 2 entries be a no-contest? I watched both cinematics and I found them really interesting. CMarket's was dark, it left me with the sense of watching a horror movie, while Hemlock's had good action in it, very good. CMarket's has had many sound effects, while Hemlock's should use some more, apart from the nice music (e.g. when the rocks were falling, when the spells were casted and such).

Overall, both were great, and, as I recall well, Hemlock's was way shorter than CMarket's. Originality would go to CMarket; Hemlock described a battle-type concept, overused to be honest. The lack of the sounds gave no feeling, when they should. A bad thing about CMarket's was the clown's voice; apparently he had the worst microphone ^^. The guy who should have the better quality was him, since the clown should declare a scary person, with much of feeling over the voice, which could not be sounded, due to the low quality. Generally, mistakes over the sound sets, except for Gomez (or how the name was); the sound of the uncut "beeps" in the end of each recorded sound turned it into amateur. Hemlock's narrator was odd; he was describing a story of a creature that formed itself out of fears and darkness, when the narrator was way darker and better depicting the creature's characteristics. I was disappointed by the model used for the being: Illidan; we are so familiar with this model, that I payed no feeling to the creature's 'horrifying' form.

Both ones had an end that let you fulfilling the true story/end of story. Hemlock's ended with a "boom!", while CMarket's left me with disappointment in the end, because of the unfair rumors over Gomez.

Generally, I'd pick CMarket's for the sake of the mentioned stuff and because I felt it had way more details than Hemlock's; he seemed to put more work into it, cause he focused on many effects, while Hemlock focused on knockback-type systems, with periodic events' movement triggers, so, a show-off of spells' triggering, which is not bad, since it had the action CMarket's didn't have.

The reason, it lacked so much, is the reason I described in the post, frankly I care little if it lacked allot and the cinematic was too short, the amount of time it would take to complete the cinematic (since i't isn't complete) would take far longer than the time that was given for this contest, so I picked a shortened version, and completed it as far as I could.

The reason why the narrator has such a dark voice (SPOILER) is cause he is the Fear and Darkness Himself just covered in a skin, but I had too little time to get to that part, so I let the cinematic end with a boom.

If I look at the amount of time and precision I put into this cinematic, and the way you describe my cinematic, I choose to ignore most of your "Constructive Critism" and only explain the reason behind the fact why it lacks at some parts.

Level 13
Well it's not a final product, the actual cinematic will be allot longer, describing the charachters a bit more thoroughly as well, however, I simply did not have the voice actors (time to insert all this storyscript) or all the additional scene's so I made it as compact as possible.
This cinematic is actually based off a novel I orginally wrote about 2 years ago.

What gets me on my toes, is the way bad points are being written, they are not constructive critism, and you compare my cinematic with Cmarkets Cinematic, thats like comparing a fruit to a grocery.

you should judge resources individually, not against eachother.
So I am not upset with what you write about my cinematic, it being bad or not, it's the way you do it.

Level 13
Apparently, everyone will do it the way I did. There are only two submissions; comparing each other is a rational move.

Wrong.
If you have two Jump swimmers (so people that do diving as a beauty sports) and they both dive different, you are not going to compare them to eachother, you compare their jumps on cleanness of the jump, water collision and what more is being rated.

Rational...I doubt rationallity has anything to do with it.
I have nothing against you, but you obviously have no clue about what judging is about, seriously just get your facts together.

but it happens to be a competitor of a guy who has more experience on this, even if you have some better ideas.

LoL, I really wonder how much research you do before posting......

It's been a long time, I had such a good laugh and being frustrated at the same time, not by you as individual but what you are writting.

Level 12
Alright, here is my entry. Just before the deadline.

As was mentioned, the title of the cinematic is the Clown of As'Latur.

I believe the story might be a bit too complex for some of you which is why I'll also upload a readme that will explain anything you might not understand about the story. Please, please, watch the cinematic and try to figure out as much as you can on your own before reading this.

One little important thing

THAT MAP CANOT BE DOWNLOADED ANYMORE!

so that sounds like a problem

Level 12
So I watched Hemlock and CMarkets cinematics.

They are different, yes, but this is contest, we must choose better one

Hemlocks cin had better camera and voices, CMarkets had better terrain and atmosphere (i didnt get the story, i think I know who is presented by clown, but chronological order of scenes is hard to follow)

Hemlock remind me of GreatNoob or SpiritOfVengeance, but we must admit that Illidan model is only one usefull for battle (maybe Blademaster also), and still good loking like evil one, very good battle, when he was on that hill throwing that two rocks, map missed a fog. And also ending was too quick, people are just expecting that narrator will tell something or whatever and it suddenly ended, (and map didnt really ended, it must be done with alt+F4)

CMarket however has error in camera movement, especialy at begining when showing us the "tavern" or what that was, and during dialogues, characters are still playing their stand-1,stand-2 ... animations, and that nephew had horrible voice, as mentioned above, sound of the uncut, but I personally found the voice of clown OK, just the nephew and that priest was also weird, other voices were good (maybe that woman was little too phlegmatic)

Well I dont know which is better, firstly I thought it was Hemlock, but we will see

Edit: And i forget, I expect that Theme "Someone is telling a story" is more like Hamlock did it, becouse If I was A judge, I decide that CMarket didnt follow theme.

Level 14
Edit: And i forget, I expect that Theme "Someone is telling a story" is more like Hamlock did it, becouse If I was A judge, I decide that CMarket didnt follow theme.

Linaze already said that the story doesn't have to be 100% narrated. I had a narrator, that showed up at the start, end and mid-point, ergo I did follow the theme just as much as Hemlock(even though his cinematic was fully narrated).

Level 35
Well since there is only option A and option B the public pool(meaning the 25% vote) will have no effect on the actual outcome, rendering it useless. Therefore I suggest that only the judge should judge.

I'll say have both anyway... Triggering, terrain and so on actually might not be the reason why a certain movie is preferred. Having both would hopefully include this factor although it might not have a large influence over the results.

Level 18
Hemlock, you should also learn that that's pretty much contest 101. Especially in the bigger contests like this one, most people say they will join in, but don't due to interferances. That's not because they can't think ahaid, but because of the type of contest. There's a limited time, a lot of work, and a big chance something interferes due to either of the 2 previous reasons. That's just the way it is.

Level 35
Hemlock, you should also learn that that's pretty much contest 101. Especially in the bigger contests like this one, most people say they will join in, but don't due to interferances. That's not because they can't think ahaid, but because of the type of contest. There's a limited time, a lot of work, and a big chance something interferes due to either of the 2 previous reasons. That's just the way it is.

Indeed - Time management or misunderstandings can be a real killer.

Level 13

It's not about that this is a contest, it's a good attribute to complete something you say you are going to participate this is an attribute that you probably have to use more in life than one might think.
But he, I am not looking for peoples excuses, It just stroke me as awkward, for I've held a cinematical contest as well, and there was about a 70% completed work from those that did also sign up, so I think it's a little bit about people's attitude and commitment into a project as well.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
So that's it? Two entries?
Why do you think the previous contest was unsuccessful?
This also serves an answer to Hemlock: you cannot count on the people who say they are going to participate, at least not here.

The decision of extending the deadline or opening the poll is entirely up to those who have already started work and wish to submit it or have already done so. If there are no people with unfinished work, I don't think you need to extend the deadline. Bounty extended it for a month and no new submissions were posted.

Level 5
Why do you think the previous contest was unsuccessful?
This also serves an answer to Hemlock: you cannot count on the people who say they are going to participate, at least not here.

The decision of extending the deadline or opening the poll is entirely up to those who have already started work and wish to submit it or have already done so. If there are no people with unfinished work, I don't think you need to extend the deadline. Bounty extended it for a month and no new submissions were posted.

Man.. That is epic fail. I'm sorry I didn't submit an entry for this contest due to school.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
I think everyone would appreciate knowing who can participate and who cannot next time. By that I mean an exact information, not «I'll try to».

Nobody seems to have even started a work, judging from the number of posts between this one and my last. If anyone is still finishing, please let the participants and the competition manager know.

Level 35
I think everyone would appreciate knowing who can participate and who cannot next time. By that I mean an exact information, not «I'll try to».

Nobody seems to have even started a work, judging from the number of posts between this one and my last. If anyone is still finishing, please let the participants and the competition manager know.

WHAT?!! I was allowed to post my movie even now?!! :eek:

Bloody hell then I'll post it the second I get back to my house - Couldn't you have made that a bit more clear? I thought the contest was over so I decided to use the movie I made for this and upload it to hive in connection with a new one I started working on.

But if I can post it still I surely intend to do so :amad:

Status
Not open for further replies.