• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terraining Contest #1 - Gloomy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 34
I agree with void. But do not use mountains. Just make the city go farther back, that way it looks like a full city, not just a front.

Level 15
Here is another wip, i got rid of the 'happy' plants :p

Attachments

• Screenshot 55.jpg
    Screenshot 55.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 162
Level 11
I like the atmosphere. Not gloomy so much, but definitely depressing.

My biggest issue is the plants/shrubs. Definitely too dark, making them contrast with the snow too much.

Also id thicken the fog a bit.

Great work so far though!

Level 11
Wow, thats just pure awesomeness. Unfortunately, it isn't dull, nor dreary, nor gloomy, nor depressing in any way.

gloom·y /ˈglumi/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[gloo-mee] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective, gloom·i·er, gloom·i·est.
1. dark or dim; deeply shaded: gloomy skies.
2. causing gloom; dismal or depressing: a gloomy prospect.
3. filled with or showing gloom; sad, dejected, or melancholy.
4. hopeless or despairing; pessimistic: a gloomy view of the future.

For example, there are rays of sunshine beating down on the city. The only real indication is that the sky is somewhat overcast, and I stress the 'somewhat'. Correct me if im wrong, but I don't think that's what this contest is looking for. Hopefully HT can clear things up. xD

Nevertheless, great terrain. ('-'d)

Not really gloomy, but rather just ... uncolourful? Gloomy would be something dark/unhappy/scary/brooding sort of thing, like a cave entrance, y'know. I have to think of some new idea, been watching Lost a lot. Prolly something based on a scene.

EDIT: Well, I thought about it, googled some Lost, and I found this really awesome picture. This is based on it.
lost.jpg

Attachments

• The Island.jpg
    The Island.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:
Hear is my terrain xD every terrain is gloomy hear

Pictures:

1:In that forest ther is a cemetery the Legends say all people buried ther pets ther! and if a human is buried ther the human will come alive and kill the one that buried him.
2:Every time a skeleton comes to this forest light will come from the end of the forest and kill all living things.
3:Ther was a city 10 milion years ago now look what it has becom and old swamp.
4:A scary forest of dead the legends say every 100 hundred years a Haunted ship comes and leaves strange it is.It most have a secret and people say ther is no one driving the ship that is really weird the mystery stands.
5:A haunted hous i wouldent go ther my self or with someone many people say that in that hous a family lived.The family was scary it self they had 3 kids 1 of them took a knife and killed the family then the kid killed him self people say that his family was torturing him.
6.In that glowing room was the death of the family
7.Something is glowing but i wonder what it could be??
8.A room in the haunted hous this is the glowing room we saw in picture 6 i dont get it how does the fire last so long if the family died 200 hundred years befor.

Attachments

• Gloomy terrain 1.jpg
    Gloomy terrain 1.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 146
  • Gloomy terrain 2.jpg
    Gloomy terrain 2.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 158
  • water road.jpg
    water road.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 147
  • Hounted house.jpg
    Hounted house.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 125
  • haunted_house_1.jpg
    haunted_house_1.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 132
  • haunted_house_2.jpg
    haunted_house_2.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 123
  • Hounted room.jpg
    Hounted room.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 124
Last edited by a moderator:
Level 36
What is with everyone thinking gloomy means dark? It doesn't, gloomy means like a rainy day, something bleak and maybe sad. But not dark and scary.

But anyways, I agree that the rays of sunlight take away from it. I'll fix that.

Anyways, here it is, more gloomified... :p

Attachments

• gloomyv2.jpg
    gloomyv2.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:
Level 10
Whipped somethin up for this contest.
An abandoned factory-like building. :hohum:
The map file is Lgoomy. It supposed to say Gloomy.

Hope its not bad. :grin:
attachment.php

Attachments

• HiveContest-Gloomy.jpg
    HiveContest-Gloomy.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 876
  • LGoomy.w3x
    4 MB · Views: 48
Level 34
Void, I think you are using your light from above trick, no? (I sound French)
I suggest you just use normal distance fog for this. It isn't giving you the gloomy feel you want.

Oziris, I absolutely love that second one, but only in the small attached image. When blown up, it looks bad. But if you were to keep it small, and use for an avatar or something... <3.

Edit: Final entry, unless I find something rather interesting to change about it. Feedbackses?

He might be, Gilles. But, Void, your picture is really lacking something. Sure, city, bushes and trees, but ... it's a bit empty for such a huge thing. Especially the shrubs outside of the city aren't really fitting, they'd have SOME gardeners.
You're letting yourself go down.

Level 34
Looks cool? Not sure what to say. Nice job on the beam, it looks good,. Especially where it meets the ground, you added that glow.

Level 6
After being out for a while, I descided that I might get my terrain of in time for the contest. Here some WIP's

Attachments

• GLOOMY WIP 001.JPG
    GLOOMY WIP 001.JPG
    28.8 KB · Views: 131
  • GLOOMY WIP 002.JPG
    GLOOMY WIP 002.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 132
Level 36
Void, I think you are using your light from above trick, no? (I sound French)
I suggest you just use normal distance fog for this. It isn't giving you the gloomy feel you want.

Oziris, I absolutely love that second one, but only in the small attached image. When blown up, it looks bad. But if you were to keep it small, and use for an avatar or something... <3.

I used no light from above doodads. Just sky and fog.

Heh more elven building doodads.

They're just so awesomely gloomtastic! ^.^

Level 36
[RAINBOW]~FINAL SUBMISSION~[/RAINBOW]

I tried to fix everything people said was bad.
It looks better big ;)

Link to image
Link to map -- password = hive

Basically, it's a city (you can clearly see the main street, but the rest are all hidden behind the buildings), and you're looking at it from on top of a hill a few hundred yards away, and there's a path leading through the forest to a wheat field.
On top of all this, it's raining :p

Last edited:
Level 9
i join the contest and .. .wow the ultimate terraining map is very confusing, too much doodads^^

i hate this shit on hive , that my name is not complete !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

my name is MasterStryke

how i can change the name?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.