• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Terraining Contest #1 - Gloomy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 34
firelord213: Listen to MadseN, make the beach rise very slowly. Other than that it looks pretty nice.

MadseN: Beautiful as always. You never cease to amaze. Can't really say anything else.

Void: Looking awesome, although I preferred how the trees were before you lost the map. The whole terrain was better before, although I like the fog and the city more. That glow thing should be removed IMO. Your mountains in the background were way better before, with the trees on them.

Level 36
epix

Here's WIP #1 of me starting all over again -_-
This is my epix city!

Attachments

• wip.jpg
    wip.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 170
Level 2
I have a quick question, i know its terrain, but are any units allowed to be implemented to mabye spice things up a bit?

Level 36
I have a quick question, i know its terrain, but are any units allowed to be implemented to mabye spice things up a bit?

D00d, you can put whatever you want in terrains, as long as they don't conflict with the rules clearly stated in Post #1, you're good to go.

And HT -- Please change the map rule!! Arrg! My terrain looks HORRIBLE if you change the camera angle.

frostwhisper

Media Manager
Level 49
Seriously people.
The whole map rule is preposterous. If you wanted a PLAYABLE terrain contest, you should have said it's a PLAYABLE terrain contest.
Right now you got everyone confused. People have gotten used to the terraining challenge Rui made, and quite frankly, its rules were a hell lot better.

[04-37-04] Gilles: No wolv, terrain is uesful like a patining. Look at all of MadseN's work, or Void.

^ That's the real point in artistic terraining.

Alright, I think it's like this: ...
  1. You have to submit your PICTURES in one post.
  2. You have to, at some point submit your MAP at some point.
  3. All your map will be used for is to check you didn't steal or import.
  4. Other than that, it's still terrain. Like Gilles said:
  5. Like a painting or other artwork.

Anyway, new thing. Void, your city looks ... clustered. Reminded me of Gondor, don't ask why. Maybe you should add in some side streets. Oh, and you can see dirt at the bottom, under your mini cathedrals. Frost, your one's pretty cool, MadseN's is, (like usual -_-) awesome, although I don't reckon it looks as good as your other ones.

Attachments

• Gloomy.jpg
    Gloomy.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 216
Level 2
hmmm

dont think a ss is useful at this point but i want criticism, first terrain thingy ever.

wow how stupid of me, mouse right in mid...

gloomes.jpg

Level 9
This is my final shot. As im gonna be away for a bit more then 2 weeks now im gonna post it now so i don't forget :smile:

anyway, GL too all participants !

/MadseN

attachment.php

Attachments

• Gloomy WIP6.jpg
    Gloomy WIP6.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 902
  • Gloomy Comp 2.w3x
    4.1 MB · Views: 91
Last edited by a moderator:

frostwhisper

Media Manager
Level 49
This morning I thought of abandoning the contest due to differences with the judges. After some thinking however, I have decided to keep working just for the fun of it. ^^

Backstory: Once the undead renewed their onslaught, nothing could stand in their way. In an act of desperation, the people barricaded their homes in hopes of being avoided by the marching Scourge. While many of the barricades saved these poor souls from the claws and blades of the dead, they did not stop the ravaging plague from entering the houses. Trapped, the men and women died alone in the dark, soon to join their enemies' forces.

abandoned2bw3.jpg

This morning I thought of abandoning the contest due to differences with the judges. After some thinking however, I have decided to keep working just for the fun of it. ^^

Backstory: Once the undead renewed their onslaught, nothing could stand in their way. In an act of desperation, the people barricaded their homes in hopes of being avoided by the marching Scourge. While many of the barricades saved these poor souls from the claws and blades of the dead, they did not stop the ravaging plague from entering the houses. Trapped, the men and women died alone in the dark, soon to join their enemies' forces.

abandoned2bw3.jpg

I don't know why but the picture reminds on on Achmed the dead terrorist. Nevertheless it's very well done piece of work.

frostwhisper

Media Manager
Level 49
Well, the house is quite wrecked you see (although the smooth wall doodads don't show it that much).
I added the rocks:
1. To give that wrecked feeling
2. To add some spice to the whole piece.
3. To give something for that fallen bookshelf to lean on.

Level 34
Shizsnok: Looks good, but the right seems to be empty. And I dislike the tree in the center of the screen. Not sure why.

MadseN: I liked it more before. The clouds are getting too bright, but it still looks good. You may not actually landslide win though!

frostwhisper: I love your terrains for their ingenuity. They seem to all be original (ish). This last one is cool. I hope you resolve with the judges.

Eleandor: Looks ok, but I would expect more from you. You had some amazing terrain started for wc3:WoW. Maybe your strong point it doodad building, not so much environment.

Level 2
Gilles are you refering to the tree directly behind the tomb or the log? and im doing something about the right side right now, also some extra deatail on the road.

Level 2
Hmmm update on mine, try to add more while still keeping it gloomy, i think i failed, ne one think its took un gloomy as well?

gloomy-1.jpg

Level 2
yeah lol i think i was a bit far away but i like the distance on this one so im gonna work from here.

and frost, yours is great i think, i can't even think what you could add to it to make it better, i liked the very first one alot too. too bad you lost it :/

Last edited:
Level 34
The deadline gives enough time for people to work. If it were a week, we would only get a few terrains. As it is, we get quite a few.

Level 11
Well, I guess I shall join. This is my first WIP. Constructive criticism is very welcome. It was inspired by Resident Evil 4. A game I'm playing right now. Not sure about the chimney, though.

Attachments

• GloomyHouse.jpg
    GloomyHouse.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 193
Level 11
Well after seeing all the pages, I saw yours and I must say that the log houses look almost identical. Well, if you want I will make another terrain. If you think I'm stealing your terrain ideas or anything like that, just say and I will make another terrain. Sorry for the inconvenience that I made.

frostwhisper

Media Manager
Level 49
No, no problem.
I don't want to ruin your effort just because of a similarity. Carry on, I'm sure you know better than to steal ideas ;)

Besides, I'm not completely sure my log house terrain is eligible to be turned in as a submission as I lost that part of the actual map in a computer crash and I got only the screenshots left.

Status
Not open for further replies.