1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The raddest synthwave tracks were chosen - Check out our Music Contest #12 - Results and congratulate the winners!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The poll for Hive's 12th Concept Art Contest is up! Go cast your vote for your favourite genie!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Travel to distant realms and encounter scenes unknown to the common folk. The Greatest of Adventures is upon us with the 8th Cinematic Contest. Join in on a fun ride.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The 18th Icon Contest is ON! Choose any ingame unit and give him/her Hero abilities. Good luck to all.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Contestants are to create a scene set in the Stone Age. Come and see what you can come up with. We wish you the best of luck!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Colour outside the lines! Techtree Contest #13 is a go. The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Greetings cerebrates, our Swarm needs new spawners that will have numerous children. Join the HIVE's 31st Modeling Contest - Spawners and Spawned! The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  10. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Texturing Contest #30 - Results

Discussion in 'Contest Archive' started by Heinvers, Jul 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heinvers

Heinvers

Arena Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Resources:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Art by: Wietze Fopma

Mythological Characters

Texture an ingame/custom model that resembles a character from any Mythology (Norse, Greek etc).

[​IMG]
    • First Place: 45 reputation points and your entry on an award icon. Also the chance of getting a unique thematic rank icon done specifically regarding preference.
    • Second Place: 30 reputation points and an award icon
    • Third Place: 15 reputation points and an award icon

[​IMG]
    • ~Nightmare
    • Heinvers

• Each judge will receive 5 reputation points.
    [​IMG]

~Nightmare judging

Arowanna

Shading - 26
    Concept - 30
    Details - 28
    Score = 84

Usage of gradients are excellent. Some parts need some shadows like in the neck. It would be much much better if you have chosen a far lesser known mythology. Very clean texture, only thing that's bothering me is the claw part where the violet and red transitions, it would be much much better if it was blended well. The scales are really good although it needs a little bit more highlights for it to be seen in game. Are those feathers or leaves? It seems to be off since the strokes are black.(edited)

~~~~~~~~~
    Nightelfbuilder

Shading - 24
    Concept - 30
    Details - 25
    Score = 79

The armor parts should be shaded accordingly too as well as the hair, which I know is very hard to nail. It would be good if you've gone for a far more lessen known mythology. The bones/armor blends with skin which makes it very hard to be seem in-game. You seemed to struggled with the hair part, not the best outcome but is decent enough. You could could've gone for a darker skin for the bones/armor to pop out. I commend for choosing Prime Matron as your model, which is very hard to texture.

~~~~~~~~~
    PrinceYaser

Shading - 27
    Concept - 30
    Details - 27
    Score = 84

Spot on shading. Greek mythology is widely known and choosing it is very safe. It is very weird that the eyes are blank, making her look emotionless. I also see that you're trying to make the cape look like a bear(?) on which you failed since the quiver is on top the cape. The cloth in the chest part blends with the skin when zoomed out. I love the bow details.

~~~~~~~~~
    Wildfire

Shading - 22
    Concept - 30
    Details - 25
    Score = 77

Shading is good enough, although I would like to see metals to be read as metal, like the axe and the armor. It lacks highlights. Oh nice concept although you seemed to chose a wrong model to texture. There are other models out there that lets you alpha-out heads like Undead Arthas. I really like the face detail on the chest part although I would really like a different shield. The boots, pants and weapon lacks detail unlike the face on the chest.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Heinvers judging

Arowanna – Bastard Spawn of Hakkar

Shading 27/30

Hey man, it’s been a while since I saw your texturing and I’ve got to say that this really hits it in the shading department. You could’ve enforced the intensity a bit since it looks a bit washed when compared to ingame models.

Concept 30/40

While not entirely based on real life mythology, I like the flavor here. It reminds me a bit of the Aztect’s Quetzalcoatl when looking at the feathery features.

Details 28/30

Nicely done details mate. I enjoy every bit of it. Although highly stylized, I feel that the face could’ve used more love. A tad more sharpness and clearer scales.

Total 85/100

~~~

nightelfbuilder – Lilith, Mother of Demons

Shading 20/30

First off all, you improved the shading technique with every texture you did so far.
    Although I enjoy this and its clearness, I feel that as of now it’s too clean and not really strong with shadows and highlights. It could use more sharpness and contrast.
    You could play more with level and colors next time. Good piece overall.

Concept 29/40

Lovely output so far. It could use more flame-like tattoos and sharper face.

Details 17/30

The eyes, breasts and tattoos are the strong points here, while the rest are hardly noticeable if not looking them up close. The legs, torso, hands and wings could use better color to contrast the look more and read them well from afar.

Total 66/100

~~~

PrinceYaser – Artemis, Goddess of Hunt

Shading 24/30

This is a tad too dark in-game and is in dire need of stronger highlights, especially the face. Nice result nonetheless.

Concept 35/40

Jackpot hit right with this. You could’ve played more with her hair and bust.

Details 24/30

Some details seem smudged and lost in the color scheme you chose.

Weak points being the hair, legs and cape. Good work anyway.

Total 83/100

~~~

Wildfire – Xing Tian, The Headless One

Shading 19/30

You have to work more on defining your shadows and highlighs.

The texture is too erased because of said issue. Play more with levels and curves to achieve better defining for this character.

Concept 36/40

Good call at choosing the character. ‘could use more life for the bust are though.

Details 15/30

This texture needs sharper details on the bust, hands and could use various paints on the armor.

Total 70/100

[​IMG]

TxC30calc.png

TxC30_winn.png

Also a big THANK YOU for KILLCIDE with helping debunk the maths and all that mumbo jumbo thing :]

Contest | Poll

2. ~Nightmare

~Nightmare

Texture Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Congratulations!

3. San

San

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    AROWANNNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

4. Heinvers

Heinvers

Arena Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Notice added! Reputation and award icons delivered.

Messaged the winner about the custom rank icon.

Well done everyone. 'see you in the next contest. Au revoir!

5. PrinceYaser

PrinceYaser

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Congratz @Arowanna xD and everyone!

It was pretty fun competing with you guys! :)

Well done! And indeed thanks to the judges and Hein!

6. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    AAAAAAAAAROWANNNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

7. Drake.

Drake.

Resources:
    Resources:
    Hyyyypeboi

8. Yahya

Yahya

Resources:
    Resources:
    Where can we see these models?

9. Heinvers

Heinvers

Arena Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Resources:
    There are links to the contest and contest poll at the end of the first post. You can see there the textures and the models they're intended for.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.