• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Texturing Contest #8 - Results

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

the%20hive%20workshop.png

texturing.png
contest.png
number.png
8.png

results.png

Melee Heroes

thwtc8p.png

contest%20judging.png

eubz : 9/100
Shading : 5/30
Your paladin appears almost entirely flat due to low contrast in shading, as well as lacking shadows in regions were it's expected to be dark (inside of legs, under the belt, etc), and lacking highlights in areas where you expect armour to shine. It seems the only shading is the shading provided by the original skin, over which you have recoloured with brighter tones than the original - hurting the original shading.
Concept : 1/40
You've basically taken the original paladin, recoloured most of it into seemingly random colours and then freehanded a few areas to look somewhat like flames. You altered the lionhead with some recolour and some effect, as well as slapping the very same badge onto his book. I'm sorry to say, but this is very inconsistent, fairly random and as such, a really bad concept. You should've followed one idea through, and spent more time working on quality rather than submitting your entry early.
Details : 3/30
You've added a fair amount of details to his bracers and lower legs, but the rest of the skin is pretty much the same as it were originally. The added details as well as the original parts appear blurry.

Ampharos_222 : 78/100
Shading : 25/30
Each individual part is shaded appropriately, and consistently with material. However, the global shading is somewhat lacking, and as such, your lich doesn't blend into the surroundings as well as it could.
Concept : 28/40
Although you've given your lich a distinctive Egyptian appeal (which suits the undead lich well), and worked out a pretty solid concept, it still largely resembles the original lich in the sense that the form of the unit is still the same. You could've utilized the large flat surfaces better (I am aware of the bad wrap) to add new, creative shapes to it. In the end, your Lich is primarily a quality upgrade of the same unit, rather than a re-design. You've still put in a lot of effort, though, and I'm sure it'll be useful, especially for close-up views in cinematics.
Details : 25/30
Due to the tonal range of the gold being fairly narrow, and the small nature of the details, the lich does appear bland in-game. It would've helped with some more of the violet colouring to make certain details stand out more. The thing behind the lich's back is clealry visible in full detail, though, and that's what's noticed best in-game.

PeeKay : 78/100
Shading : 27/30
Overally well-placed shading, fitting to the materials. The contrast of the face is a bit high, making his sides look burned rather than shaded. The hair really stands out becuase the contrast is so low compared to the rest of the skin.
Concept : 32/40
You've changed the majority of the design, but there are a few parts that remain nearly unchanged, like the shields hanging off the horse's shoulders and the horse's clothing (except the armour on the back). I love the horse head and the armour design, as well as the sword. The concept delivers the idea of a death knight and suits the undead race. However, there's a bit too much going on - WC3 units are recognized by large recognizeable designs, rather than intricate detailing.
Details : 19/30
From in-game distance, the skin appears a bit blurry and bland. The details on armour and sword is greatly reduced. You should've focused on making your details visible in-game rather than provide a pretty close-up. The cape, hair and shoulders is what players see the most in-game, beside the portrait, and should therefore receive the most attention.

chr2 : 61/100
Shading : 25/30
Decent shading altogether. The torso could stand to be slightly darker around the edges to represent the large shoulders and cape better. The gold could stand to be slightly more shiny. Contrast is a bit strong in the cape folds. The crystals floating around his head, I assume they are crystals, are not shaded as such - search up some reference images and try until you get it right, I know it's hard.
Concept : 22/40
It might be my lack of knowledge about the Kirin Tor, but I feel that the design is slightly inconsistent because of the many colours. Purple, gold, blue, steel and leather is just about too much. Still, the design does resemble that of a human mage, and it suits the model just fine. I'm a bit unsure whether it suits the role of a blood mage, though.
Details : 14/30
I really miss some details on the cape, seeing as this is what you notice the most in-game, as well as the shoulders. Without details on either of these, the unit appears very boring in-game.

graystuff111 : 53/100
Shading : 24/30
Appropriate shading. Although the vines could use some more shading to give them shape - right now, a lot of them look like paint, or some other opaque liquid.
Concept : 19/40
A raw, "natury" night elven hero in itself is a fine idea, it matches the dryads fairly well. However, his role as a demon hunter seem to be something you dismissed entirely. This is more of a night elf tarzan, equipped with a blade - a blade made out of rock, wood and veins? I'm not sure he'd be able to cut anything with those. The veins surrounding his lower legs is a creative way to avoid making the model's pants look odd, too bad the feet aren't as successful.
Details : 10/30
There aren't many details to comment on, really, but the veins, as previously stated, could use some more shading to make them pop a bit. The details are otherwise quite clear and there seems to be no issues with blurriness.

M0rbid : 88/100
Shading : 26/30
Great individual shading, and the global shading is fairly well-placed as well. The contrast is also quite good, but I believe it would suit the WC3 style better if it was a bit darker overall.
Concept : 34/40
It's a great design, and resembles that of a samurai with an orcish twist to it. It could stand to look even more orcish, to fit into the ranks of the normal Orc roster. The colours match up well and the design is wholesome and thoroughly executed. This looks more like a blademaster than the original, at the expense of looking less orcish. I like it.
Details : 28/30
Almost no details are lost in-game, no issues with blurryness. My only concern here is that the flag seems simplistic compared to the rest of the skin. You could've given it more attention.

Dionesiist : 83/100
Shading : 29/30
Your shading is top-notch. It seems you rushed the teamcoloured part of the horse clothing, though.
Concept : 28/40
Unfortunately, this ends up being more of a remake than a redesign. A large portion of the original design is kept, although in higher quality. Like the other death knight, you could also have given more attention to the rider's cape. I like how the face just oozes of anger, though, and your colour palette is a vast improvement from the original.
Details : 26/30
No details lost in-game, crisp clear appearance. Like I mentioned above, cape could use more attention. His hair looks flat and boring, but the braid helps a bit.

67chrome : 94/100
Shading : 30/30
Sweet shading here, the contrast is spot on. The armour really pops out of the otherwise flat model.
Concept : 37/40
You've successfully turned this into a gnome, although it's slightly more engineer-looking, it still looks like a noble resident of the mountains. I know the glasses are gnome-trademarks, but in this case, I think seeing his eyes would've given a better result.
Details : 27/30
The bags on his back appear bland in-game, but the design is otherwise clearly visible. The glasses are less successful, though.

A.R. : 90/100
Shading : 30/30
Well shaded, and in style with original WC3 skins. As it's designed for use with transparency, the shading is somewhat inversed, so it'll look odd when not used with transparency, in certain areas. Having this in mind, I'm still giving it full score.
Fairly simple design, and effective. I love the idea of it being a wisp, and with the necessary alterations in-game, it does look like it. The armour, mainly the shoulders, have been touched up with a more elvish look. The wings still resemble that of the original warden, though. All in all, a plausible re-design.
Details : 26/30
The shoulder armour trims appear blurry in-game, though no doubt because of the lack of allocated space in the UW. The leaves are also somewhat blurry, but they don't lose their characteristics.

Vermillion Edict : 60/100
Shading : 23/30
Appropriate shading for the most part, but the arms lack shape and the helmet has some odd shading. The black lines on the sides of his forehead makes little sense, and the highlight on his cheeks is misplaced.
Concept : 19/40
The basic armour design is suitable for an orc. It's a bit of a clash when it comes to colouring, though. The pale purple colour on his shoulders seem out of place, and I think the trims on the red pieces should be golden like on the tunic. The skulls on his shoulders wrap badly. Because you've increased the resolution before finishing off some details, parts of the skin seem out of place. The sword looks interesting, but I'm not sure it'd work well in a fight.
Details : 18/30
The UW is already blurry, and it doesn't exactly get sharper in-game. Nonetheless, it's all visible in-game and no details are merging. The skin could easily be more interesting if you added more detail to it, though.

Stanakin Skywalker : 93/100
Shading : 29/30
Great shading, but I think it would be even better with slightly higher contrast, thus making the depth greater.
First of all, you've made a great effort into converting this into a troll. It's a difficult task, but you seem to have come as close as you possibly can with this model. Don't get me wrong, the mount is awesome, but I can't seem to place it in the WC3 lore. Fairly simple, yet effective design overall. That relic, or whatever, is great, by the way, and looks suitable for a troll.
Details : 30/30
Details are clearly visible in-game, and that's not because they are few. You've managed to combine large and small details in a way that looks great both from a close-up and from in-game view.

chr2 57/100
Shading 15/30
Really, there doesn't seem to be a great amount of shading going on. The body inside would have quite a lot of shading, especially the arms and parts that are always in cover by the cape. There is definately shading on the creases of the robe/cape, but that to me looks more like a pattern rather than a flowing cape, mainly due the the 'folds' starting at the bottom and finishing right at the top. Nothing is forcing the cape to fold at the bottom, so it would have large 'waves'.
However, you have put a decent amount of shading in the face, which is probably what matters the most.
Concept 27/40
I really liked this skin, concept-wise. It fits fairly well with other human units which is a good thing. It stands out well enough to show it's a hero, but not too different so it looks out of place. I always thought there never can be enough human mages, so it will be useful as well for map-makers.
His half-pants thing is pretty unique and interesting as well, never seen those in my day.
Details 17/30
You added quite a lot of detail on his actual body, but the outside is kinda boring. The outside is what people are going to be looking at, after all. You could have added an insignia or something on his cape, which could have added a tiny bit more TC, which it needs. The Shoulderpads are also a bit boring as well. A big negative is that the shoulders dont have enough detail to show what it was made out of, and are just TC with a bit of black.
His Hair is a bit monotone, you should have added much more contrast, as well as highlights.
And something that is sort of annoying for me is the fact that his boots are the only thing metal, and it looks out of place, something a strength hero would wear.
One more point is that the super wrinkled forehead is annoying, his face looks like he's quite young, but the forehead looks unnaturally old.

eubz 16/100
Shading 2/30
For the parts that you did change, there seems to be no shading.
Concept 9/40
Yeah, a paladin with striped boots and bracers. I think the stripes are supposed to be some flames? Not too sure. Anyway if it was flames, make his whole look more flame-related. If it was astronomy related, make it look astronomy-ey.
Sure you would get higher marks as it does suit the model, and it does fit into the style of WC3, but you don't, because you didn't actually change the parts which theoretically gave you a high mark.
Details 5/30
His beard doesn't even match with his hair colour. Those stripes are repetetive and boring. The book does not look like a book.

67chrome 70/100
Shading 19/30
It doesn't seem to have too much shading, there should be some shading between the legs and arms, under the mouthstashe etc. You could have also made him a bit more vibrantly coloured. He doesn't stand out among his troops.
Concept 32/40
Pretty good concept. It definatley suits the model, very creative with the ax being turned into a wrench, as well as the bag o' gems. It looks quite Wow-ish, which is another plus.
Details 21/30
The details are alright, they look a bit rushed though. The chainmail is just grey circles, trim on his shoulders have a wierd highlight/shading pattern, and it pretty much just bland plate armor. The face seems a tad bit blurry, but it is distinct and is good enough. Finally the wrench might be awesome, but the same cannot be said for the hammer.

A.R 49/100
Shading 18/30
The shading is uniform and it looks overall pretty good. The only problem is that on the weapon, the shadow is on the top and the highlights is on the bottom. You could have also added stronger highlights. I liked the gradual toning of the leaf cape.
Concept 15/40
It's still a Night-Elf, but I think its hard to change the race for Night-elf so you didnt lose too much marks for that. Although, it's way too monotone, and it could do with a big TC somewhere. Although I liked the leaf-cape, it seems impractical and unoriginal.
Overall, it doesn't seem all that different to the orignal hero.
Details 16/20
The hero looks too simple. The armor feel like just a recolour, and there is really nothing to make it stand out, for example, you could have made a certain, recognisable insignia, or a recurring theme on the hero. I think it's also missing the neck but that may be the model's problem (so no marks lost again for that). The big plus is the leaf cape again.

graystuff111 56/100
Shading 17/30
The first thing I noticed with this texture is the super shiny forehead. It's really distracting. Apart from the slightly weird face shading, you shaded quite well on the body. The arms are slightly too white overall. The grassy parts also don't have as much shading as well as the body does. From the bird's eye-view, the dull hair makes him stand out in a bad way. If youre going to fix it, I suggest you make the branch/grass thicker.
Concept 22/40
I liked how you changed it from a blind demon hunter into a more "Keeper of the Grove" style Night-Elf. However, it's pretty unorignal on the design side, as its just a 'Tarzan' like guy. Finally, the rock blade looks pretty strange, as the stones look quite round, and the actual weapon is a slicing one.
Details 17/30
The muscles are well formed, but the braches/vine things are too monotone. I wish there was a bit more stuff on this guy, there is only flesh, vine/branches and stones.

Dionesiist 74/100
Shading 25/30
You did really good shading. There is shading underneath the cape, The metal textures were highlighted well and the drapery (cloth textures) was well made. The face is correctly shaded like a face, but I think you could have put a bit more shading near the hair..
Concept 22/40
It's still a death knight, however, It looks more like a vampire, than an undead guy, due to his pale skin. Not too sure if it was intended to be a vampire but it looks good. His swirly sword looks good along with the armor, which is distinct, and can be seen properly from the normal view.
Detail 27/30
There's a lot of fine details in the texture, which I pretty much said on the shading part. The only reason it is not a higher mark is cos it's a bit monotone. I like the ponytail. Long hair looks too dirty for a well-groomed vampire.

PeeKay 71/100
Shading 22/30
The shading is fairly well done. there are a few bits that need more shading, like under the cape. The hero's face is really well shaded. There's a bit of glow happening around the horses eyes which look decent. I think the guy's sword should be flipped around. His hair also should have more shadows.
Concept 23/40
The problem I had with this was the horse. I could definately see that the hero was a very 'dead', old looking undead thing, but the horse is some green lava monster. It has no horns but has hair on its hooves which seemed a bit out-of-place. It stands out in the normal meele undead units, in a bad way. It doesn't fit a 'Warcraft' undead race. If the horse was changed a higher mark would have been gained.
Detail 26/30
Details are very good. Just the horse, the hair and other tiny things are the only problem. I like how you went into so much detail on the texture, but you are still able to see it from the normal view.

Ampharos_222 66/100
Shading 21/30
It doesn't have that much shading, but where it does have it, it is shaded well.
Concept 25/40
It's not that original, some Egyptian Lich thing, but it does look much different to the War3 one, which is good.
I think you could have gone with a more colourful texture, making it stand out as a hero. Egyptian style is stereotyped as vibrant gold and blue theme.I think you could have made those chains into bandages.
Details 20/30
You put too much detail on this guy, making it look really messy. Even in the close-up, the face is still hard to make out. When put on normal Warcraft view, its face and body seem like a mess of different coloured pixels. The erased mouth makes the hero's portrait have a big gap, making it look strange, especially when it opens fully/talks.

Stanakin Skywalker 84/100
Shading 27/30
Really beautiful shading. It is almost perfect. The muscle of the lizard is well toned and the shadow between joints is just right.
Concept 32/40
I probably would have never imagined that wolf thing being turned into a lizard and actually look like it was made for the texture. It's quite different from the original model while still looking good. I like the pot belly :D. I only thing I didn't like was the transparent shield. It's a bit too fragile looking. I can't see why he carries one around.
Also, I don't really know what that thing is instead of a beard.
Details 25/30
The thing I liked about the most was the texture of the skin on the lizard. It is textured very well and is quite realistic.
I think he could have had more 'bling'. He seems pretty simple.

Vermillion Edict 47/100
Shading 17/30
There doesn't seem to be a lot of shading. The mask has some pretty awesome highlights though. More shading is needed between the legs, arms, under the necklace and a bit under the flagtop.
Concept 17/40
i think it's still too similar to the original model. It's still a samurai-like orc, albeit just more heavily armored. There's really nothing special in the design. the flag is really boring. The sword looks really strange as well. It looks like a Flag stand thing.
Detail 13/30
The detail is really blurry, and it's really simple looking. The skulls looks pretty cool, but seem to be too small. His cloth pants are way too simple.

M0rbid 58/100
Shading 19/30
Pretty good shading here and there. I don't know if this goes in here but I really don't like his skin colour (I'm so racist). It's not an orc green but more of a 'dead' green. The sword and his shoulders have pretty good shading and highlights.
Concept 17/30
This guy's armor doesn't really look orcish at all. I thought Orcs were supposed to have barbarian-like armor. The Padded cloth for me is really a human 'armor'. I don't like the autobots face on the flag.
Some good points are that it is quite different and is unique. However this looks more suited for an RPG rather than a normal meele map. It doesn't really fit with the normal Warcraft units.
Details 22/30
Even though I did not really like the design, the details are quite well done. The sword is very detailed and looks good. The detail is clearly seen from the normal meele camera, and he does look like a 'High Rank Orc"

(Votes / Total Votes) * .25) + ((shiiK + darkdeathknight)/2) * .75 = Final Score (cut to two decimals)

Stanakin Skywalker ((29 / 98) * .25) + ((93 + 84) * .75) = 66.07
67chrome ((14 / 98) * .25) + ((94 + 70) * .75) = 61.53
Dionesiist ((4 / 98) * .25) + ((83 + 74) * .75) = 58.88
PeeKay ((4 / 98) * .25) + ((78 + 71) * .75) = 55.88
M0rbid ((11 / 98) * .25) + ((88 + 58) * .75) = 54.77
Ampharos_222 ((16 / 98) * .25) + ((78 + 66) * .75) = 54.04
A.R. ((9 / 98) * .25) + ((90 + 49) * .75) = 52.14
chr2 ((6 / 98) * .25) + ((61 + 57) * .75) = 44.26
graystuff111 ((0 / 98) * .25) + ((53 + 56) * .75) = 40.87
Vermillion Edict ((2 / 98) * .25) + ((60 + 47) * .75) = 40.13
eubz ((3 / 98) * .25) + ((9 + 16) * .75) = 9.38

1st - Stanakin Skywalker
2nd - 67chrome
3rd - Dionesiist
4th - PeeKay
5th - M0rbid
6th - Ampharos_222
7th - A.R.
8th - chr2
9th - graystuff111
10th - Vermillion Edict
11th - eubz

105502d1314440248-texturing-contest-8-melee-heroes-result-texturing-contest-8-arena-winners.png

Contest | Poll

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 3
Grats to Stanakin, Chrome, Dionessiist, and everyone who competed.

Oh, and thanks to shiik for running the contest and judging and thanks to darkdeathknight for judging also.

Last edited:

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Yeah, I thought it was odd, but didn't really give it much thought, I should've halved the points given by judges by amount of judges. Wouldn't that be correct?

Edit: Recalculated with correct formula. The ranking is still exactly the same, so there's nothing to worry about.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 17
CONGRATULATIONS LUKE SKYWALKER, CHROME AND DIO!
And good job on everyone who competed.

Except for eubz.
Poor effort.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

well you need to make the total judge score equal 75, and since otherwise their maximum total would be 200, just divide their added score by 75/200 and you get the judge score out of 75.

Yeah, or divide the total judge scores by number of judges, seeing as both judges use out of 100. :p

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

That would still only get you to 100 though, when you want the total judge score to be out of 75.

If you did /2 then *0.75 it would also work.

Take a look at the formula, it's already there.

:)

Oh, and thanks to shiik for running the contest and judging and thanks to darkdeathknight for judging also.

This.

Congrats to everybody who participated and thanks to all who liked my entry. I did think 67Chrome was going to win, so I'm happy.

Great shading, but I think it would be even better with slightly higher contrast, thus making the depth greater.
I agree, I noticed that in the test map. Some of the other heroes were much more vivid in-game.

Status
Not open for further replies.