• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Texturing Contest #16 - Results

Status
Not open for further replies.
the%20hive%20workshop.png

cenarius1-300x271.jpg

texturing.png
contest.png
number.png
1.png
6.png

results.png

contest%20judging.png

I have to say, this was a wonderfully done skin. In the beginning it didn’t look as good, but the final product I am really impressed with. :) I like the shading and highlights overall, even though it was a dodge and burn kind of thing it looks pretty good. I think that the arms and legs could have done with a bit of smoother shading, and probably some knots could have been shaded into the wood to make it look more natural. I also think it might have been a good idea to add some more highlights to the edges of the cracks in the stone, but nonetheless, the shading and highlights were very well done. The creativity of the skin is a tad limited as it is kind of following a mountain giant-ish sort of theme, but the different aspect to that theme was very well done. The detail on this skin is awesome! I love the back especially. And the wonderful touches of the rock on the back are simply lovely. The only major downside is the legs. Although the vines were an ok touch, the legs were really simple and made it look pretty weird. In-game, I have to say it doesn’t match the quality and colour tone (it was very dark and contrasted compared to other Warcraft skins) of the other Warcraft skins, although the idea and theme would fit well in the game. All in all, a very nice piece of work Just_Spectating.

Shading and Highlights: 3.6/5
Creativity and Originality: 2.6/5
Texture Detail: 4/5
In-Game Dynamics: 3/5

Total: 13.2/20

Very well done on this. As I had said previously before, it is always an amazing pleasure to see new and very talented artists join and blow all of our minds. The Shading along the details is fantastic. But the shading along the body and the lighting of the whole piece is the only downside. It is true that the model has an automatic in game lighting effect, but you need to add on this a bit still to make it more noticeable in game. The creativity behind this whole thing is very nicely thought. I love the idea and the final output was just epic. The Detail is outstanding! The only sad part is that this may not be seen that well in-game. But I think the one part that could've had a bit more love was the skull. It doesn’t have too many details on it, and that’s the one part you WANT to go detail crazy on (As it is in the portrait). The lighting, again, makes it stand out a lot in-game and makes it so that it doesn’t really match the other units. But the whole aspect and execution of it would look fine with the rest of the models, if only the lighting was there. Very well done Red Shift.

Shading and Highlights: 5/5
Creativity and Originality: 5/5
Texture Detail: 4.4/5
In-Game Dynamics: 3.6/5

Total: 18/20

The final output in the wrapped version of the skin looks so much better than the unwrap. It is really apparent that almost no shading and definition along the body and the result was its extreme blurriness. The face was well done in its detail and shading/highlights and the only thing I saw really wrong about the face was the eye. I think it could've been done a little more neatly and used to add to the overall look of the skin. The creativity was pretty limited as it directly takes off of the jungle beast model. The detail was not so fancy. I really did not like this skins total lack of detail, and I feel like the overall skin just made a blurry mess of itself. More detail should have been added but it wasn't, and it really feels as though it could have been done a whole lot better. On a matching perspective, this doesn’t match any of the Warcraft models. Its lack of detail and definition really separates itself within the others. As well as the blurriness. This will honestly get so much worse in game and no one would be able to tell what it is from the in-game distances. The only thing I saw that really looked good was the face. So I really feel like you could have done a lot more for the skin. You had a great time frame to do more for it, but unfortunately it was left as it was. But it was a good effort. Good Job Kazzo.

Shading and Highlights: 2/5
Creativity and Originality: 1.2/5
Texture Detail: 0.8/5
In-Game Dynamics: 2/5

Total: 6/20

Now THIS I was impressed with. Your improvement from all of your skins has led up to this amazing final product. The last skin you entered was nothing compared to this one. The shading and highlights were excellent. What more is there to say? Detail, again is fantastic, but it is a bit blurry in some parts, but it’s unnoticeable in game. The legs could have been done a little bit better. I understand it is a bit of a flat surface to work on and the detail there was limited, but I think the amount of detail made it blurry, and make it look worse in game. Maybe some leaf boots or something would have been a wiser choice. But that is my opinion. Although this was wonderfully executed, the idea was simple and not very original. Just another one of those, leafier version of the unit kind of thing. In game, I think it would match nicely, but the darkness of the skin wouldn't match the brighter colours of the units in game. All in all, Very Well done zadelim.

Shading and Highlights: 4.6/5
Creativity and Originality: 2.8/5
Texture Detail: 4.4/5
In-Game Dynamics: 4/5

Total: 15.8/20

I was VERY impressed with this. It was a good idea to transform the wolf into a tree hound, and I found it was very interesting. The method of shading and highlights was genius! Every small little detail that could have been done for the skin was done and at a very good quality. The only thing I disliked about the skin was its sudden change from the bark to the leaves. I think some kind of detail or visible and neat transition would have benefited the skin a whole lot more. At an in game perspective, it would match almost perfectly and its detail is hardly lost in the game. As I had said before, everything you DID add to it, was useful and in every way complimented to the skin. The things I think you SHOULD have added, were noticeably missing and made the skin seem a bit worse than it was. But other than that, Awesome Job Darkholme. :)

Shading and Highlights: 4.8/5
Creativity and Originality: 4.6/5
Texture Detail: 5/5
In-Game Dynamics: 4/5

Total: 18.4/20

Wow. Was this ever a surprise for me to see it done this well at the end. I am very impressed and I believe you should keep going with this as you have a talent. Maybe not the best but you certainly can get there with practice. Shading on the hair and muscles was well done but very lacking in the loincloth. So that could have been done with a WHOLE lot more love. Detail was probably the main point on this skin. And it was done to a large extent. (Hair and such) But again. Loincloth. More love. Please and thank you. Creativity was definitely a plus. I like the fact that you went beyond the leafy tone of nature and made it into a more old and natural state. In Game, well the details you put in would be lost and the tone of the skin does not match the head. This brings me to another point. You didn't do much for the head. It was a bit disappointing and some major marks will be lost because of this. Yes, it was a very lovely skin, but No, there was enough put into some key parts that would make the skin all that much better. But a very good improvement on your part, and I hope you improve with this skill later on. :p

Shading and Highlights: 2.8/5
Creativity and Originality: 4.4/5
Texture Detail: 2.8/5
In-Game Dynamics: 1.6/5

Total: 11.6/20

This is good. I didn't see much from you this whole competition and it’s good to see you’re up and running. First off, I’d just like to point out that the face looks awfully funny on the unwrap and I almost did a double take when I saw it look so good on the wrap XP. Shading. All I see is dodge and burn! Have some way to cover it up at least because it’s just so dang obvious!!! But in all seriousness, it was a bold way of styling it and it looks quite good. The only thing I dislike about your style are the obvious scratches and random tiny burn strokes around the body to texturize it. And ESPECIALLY those heavy burn marks around the neck. The detail was fairly decent and although there was little of it (other than those INSANE BURN SCRATCHES!!!), it still made a bit of a difference. Creativity was nice. I honestly never thought a sunflower would eat me. This might give me few nightmares ;). In game the lighting is good, and the body lighting is decent. And I think the colours might be a bit clashy in game. But otherwise, neat! :p

Shading and Highlights: 3.4/5
Texture Detail: 1.6/5
In-Game Dynamics: 2/5

Total: 10.6/20

Blamm! There is the submission we have been looking for, for 3 competitions! :p Well, there is a lot to say about this but I’ll try to keep it short, sweet and to the point. The shading was good. Until I looked at the arms and the legs. The solid black lining for shading is quite contrasting to the skins style, and makes it look a bit more flat then it should be. I think some smoother shading could have been done, for the bark and it would have made the skin look so much better. Creativity was nice. I liked the idea of a corrupted druid. But again. Still a leafier version of the original unit. Detail was outstanding. Nothing more to say. In-Game lightings were good. And I think this would fit very well along with the other units. Very well done Mr. Goblin.

Shading and Highlights: 3/5
Texture Detail: 5/5
In-Game Dynamics: 4.6/5

Total: 17.2/20

Hmm... I have to say, I can hardly find any good things to say about the skin. I'm sorry to say it, but it’s true. The shading is a mess, as I can hardly see any to begin with. Details are very horribly done. The method you used to "detail" (the scratching and random dodge and burn tool) is the worst thing you could possibly ever do to the skin. Creativity would be ok, but no one could tell what it is. ESPECIALLY in game. All I can really say about this is that it just looks very awful and you should read some tutorials and practice to improve your skills. But please keep trying.

Shading and Highlights: 0.6/5
Creativity and Originality: 2.2/5
Texture Detail: 0.8/5
In-Game Dynamics: 0.2/5

Total: 3.8/20

I still go by what I had said previously. The yellow spots are pretty much recolored, and the circles are either used as a paint brush, or, you made one and CnP'd it across the body. The shading was OK. If you had shaded around the spots you CnP'd, then they might have looked nicer. Because right now, they are so unattached. Creativity was ok, It was something I never would have thought of. The detail was a bit limited though. I saw almost no colour differentiation in the different "sectors" of colour. And the details might be lost in game. making it look like a randomly coloured faceless one. But overall, it was a nice idea but not so nicely executed. But keep practicing! :p

Shading and Highlights: 2/5
Creativity and Originality: 3.6/5
Texture Detail: 2.2/5
In-Game Dynamics: 1.4/5

Total: 9.2/20

(Judge's score * 3.75) + ((Votes / Total votes) * 25) = Final score

Just_Spectating: (13.2 * 3.75) + ((18/212) * 25) = 51.6226415
Red Shift: (18.0 * 3.75) + ((58/212) * 25) = 74.3396226
Kazzo: (6.0 * 3.75) + ((1/212) * 25) = 22.6179245
zadelim: (15.8 * 3.75) + ((29/212) * 25) = 62.6698113
thisruoy: (11.6 * 3.75) + ((10/212) * 25) = 44.6792453
supertoinkz: (10.6 * 3.75) + ((6/212) * 25) = 40.4575472
Darkholme: (18.4 * 3.75) + ((38/212) * 25) = 73.4811321
Mr.Goblin: (17.2 * 3.75) + ((43/212) * 25) = 69.5707547
X-OMG-X: (3.8 * 3.75) + ((5/212) * 25) = 14.8396226
M0rbid: (9.2 * 3.75) + ((4/212) * 25) = 34.9716981

165202-albums1543-picture25542.png

4th - zadelim
5th - Just_Spectating
6th - thisuroy
7th - supertoinkz
8th - M0rbid
9th - Kazzo
10th - X-OMG-X

Contest | Poll (Click here to see the original entries)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.