• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Texturing Contest #20 - Custom Models

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

the%20hive%20workshop.png

texturing.png
contest.png
number.png
2.png
0.png

[rainbow]FANCY IMAGE[/rainbow]

Custom Models
Make a custom texture for a custom model (suggestions) available in our database. Do whatever you want with it as long as it complies with the rules specified below.

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

• No submission may violate any of the site rules.
  • If a submission does not follow the skin submission rules, the creator will be disqualified.
  • Your submission must be posted before the deadline. The post containing your final submission must also contain the following:
    • An in-game screenshot showing your submission in action.
    • The file(s) in the appropriate format.
  • You must show at least one unfinished preview of your submission, before the deadline, as proof that it is yours.
  • Your submission may not be started/made before the official launch of the contest.
  • Judges may not participate.
  • Teamwork is not allowed.
  • Textures must be no larger than 512 pixels in any dimension when submitted as final entry.
    You may work in 1024 (or higher), but the texture must be resized down to 512 pixels on equal dimension textures when submitted.
  • Your chosen unit must be a custom WCIII model approved in the THW Database (see this post for suggested models), and you may not edit the model in any way.
  • You may not make textures for models of which make use of in-game textures, stick with models using custom UWs (one single path).
  • Your chosen model has to be classified as a unit; attachments or similarly simple models are not accepted.
  • Do not forget to ask for permission from the modeller before starting to work on your entry!
prizes.png

• First Place: 40 reputation points and your entry on the award icon
  • Second Place: 25 reputation points and an award icon
  • Third Place: 10 reputation points and an award icon

judges.png

• Open

contest%20judging%20and%20voting.png

Shading
Does the unit fit into the WCIII lighting environment? Is the source of light consistent? Does the unit have a realistic 3D shape enhanced by the shading? Is each individual part shaded according to the material?/30%

Concept
Does the design of the unit suit the model it is wrapped on? Has the author come up with creative ways to change parts of the model into something new? Does the unit fit into the style of WCIII?/40%

Details
Does the unit appear blurry and bland in-game? Are the details appropriate and realistically placed? Are the materials in use easily recognized?/30%
  • 75 % of the points shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • 25 % of the points shall be determined by the results of a public poll.

contest%20dates%20and%20deadline.png

• The contest shall begin on the 25th of August 2011 and conclude on the 25th of September 2011, 11:59 PM GMT

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Yes, any model using a single UW.

You're right, I should add that in the rules.

So we can use any model in the database? (with one texture, of course) But don't we need permission from the modeller? I once uploaded an icon based on a custom model and it all went ka-boom because I didn't get permission.

i just prefer to have good manners and politeness at all times. and being a gentleman. i prolly gave you shit to teach you that lesson. not to mention the whole IRL ip thing.

the modellers probably wont mind though.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

It's not so much about the permission itself, but more so the decency to ask for it, and in the off-chance they do mind, you'll at least not get in trouble for it.

I might as well add that I'll need two judges for this. I won't have time to judge myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ha, that's a model I'd been considering, myself. Though my direction would've been different. Nice idea you got there.

Not so sure I'll continue with that texture tough, that Cobra is really restricting, I mean I changed it into some-short of magic totem.. but still, I don't really know.. will see how things involved, but I might change for the barbarian or something..

Level 15
¿Already finished it? wow,:ogre_love:
Its a pain to do the camo,and the helmet will got redesigned,also wanted to changue the grenade to a modern one,but it's impossible.
I have to remake also that smiling face x)

Attachments

• USAsoldier.JPG
    USAsoldier.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 173
  • Usasoldier2.JPG
    Usasoldier2.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 138
Level 15

Attachments

• 34.JPG
    34.JPG
    194.2 KB · Views: 196
  • Back.JPG
    Back.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 112

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Nobody actually pointed it out, or started working on an unacceptable model yet, but I noticed the lack of a rule specifying what kind of models can be used. Beyond needing to have a custom texture, the chosen model has to be a unit (includes heroes). Attachments are too simple. Added to the rules.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

I still don't quite understand the rule, we can use what ever model we want on the hive, as long as we have the ''open fire'' of the modeler that did it?

Yeah, we wouldn't want any angry modellers, not that I expect any of them to be angry about texturers making new textures for their models. Also, in the case of Jigrael, I don't think he's visiting very often, and knowing his personality a bit, I think he'd be delighted if people made textures for his models. Same goes for Dio. I can't speak for anyone else, though, so it's safest to ask for permission if they're still active, otherwise, bleh, don't bother.

Status
Not open for further replies.