• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Texturing Contest #28 - Poll

Vote for the best entries!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Moy

Moy

Level 49
user160036_pic59500_1342547064-png.244360

DISCLAIMER: YOU CAN VOTE UP TO 3!
texturing.png
contest.png

number.png
2.png
8.png

swampdwellers-jpg.294488

Swamp Dwellers
Contestants are to create a skin representing a swamp dweller, basically a creature that lives in a an area of muddy or flooded grounds (a morass, bog or marsh) using the in-game Warcraft 3 unit models or a custom-made model found on the site.

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

• Trying to manipulate the poll in any form is not allowed.
    If you're aware of ip-sharing with any voter, for any reason, you should contact the staff.
  • Harassment towards others to influence the result will lead to punishment.
    A neutral recommendation to take part at the poll isn't problematic, though.
  • Voting for yourself is not allowed, and will lead to a malus by 5%.
  • Participating in the poll does not explicitly safe one from being disqualified.
  • Judges are not allowed to vote.
You are very welcome to make a statement when voting, so contestants get a bit of public feedback!

entries.png

prizes.png

• First Place: 40 reputation points and your entry on the award icon
  • Second Place: 25 reputation points and an award icon
  • Third Place: 10 reputation points and an award icon
  • Judges: 5 reputation points
The three winning teams will receive an award icon, representing the winning entry.

contest%20judging.png

Shading
Does the unit fit into the WCIII lighting environment? Is the source of light consistent? Does the unit have a realistic 3D shape enhanced by the shading? Is each individual part shaded according to the material?/30

Concept
Does the design of the unit suit the model it is wrapped on? Has the author come up with creative ways to change parts of the model into something new? Does the unit fit into the style of WCIII?/40

Details
Does the unit appear blurry and bland in-game? Are the details appropriate and realistically placed? Are the materials in use easily recognized?/30

/100
  • 70 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • 30 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.

• Judgement: 70%
  • Poll: 30%
FinalScore = (30*Reached_Votes/POSSIBLE_VOTES) + (70*JudgeScore/100)

Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Voted for Swamp Hound & Druid of the Swamp; these two fit the best into Warcraft 3, with strong colors & high contrasts, without too much detail mucking (ha!) things up.

The Swamp Hound was particularly good at this, and is my #1 as far as I'm concerned. So much for "Decades Late", eh Arowanna? ; )

Level 25
Thanks for pointing out! Fixed. Ungoliath's entry is the only one that has no 'swamp' on its name so that maybe the reason I forgot lol :xxd:

EDIT:
@Traggey is a judge!
No worries! Noticed one more thing:
aeman's entry has the same name as PrinceYaser's entry; Swamp Night Guardian. In the pictures, that is.

The Swamp Hound was particularly good at this, and is my #1 as far as I'm concerned. So much for "Decades Late", eh Arowanna? ; )
Well, a decade too late is still a decade too late!

Last edited:

Moy

Moy

Level 49
Hmm, sorry about that again. I was at work so I was not aware of the mistake, because I was rushing things and my mind's not properly functioning. XD

Don't worry aeman, it will not affect your entry in anyway it's just a name that's jumbled as long as they see what the entry looks like. I will fix it later tho.

Level 35
I spread my votes over the different styles that I thought was the best fit for the theme, pending on the angle I looked at it from.

Swamp Hound got a vote for being the most WC3 fitting skin, that also truly transformed this demon dog. It neat and clean texture was also part of the reason, even if it is almost too clean - showing those poor blizz guys how a skin could have been for WC3.

Mucklebone Bastard received a vote due to it being most "swamp dweller", with the intense amount of details on it, the colors and the use of foliage to create decorations. The mud and stone on it is also a great detail, although it is a sad that some details like the great leaf loincloth isn't very visible from the default in-game perspective. This skin truly matches something that just stepped out of the murky water.

Swamp Night Guardian get's a vote as I both hate and like it. It has the guts to be vastly different from the rest, lacking in green and the other expected color-schemes. I find it messy and as mentioned I don't really like the look of it. However when I see it in-game in a swamp or dark forested area it works quite marvelous and finally it is a Medivh skin that for once doesn't scream Medivh to me. It is quite the odd skin, but it deserves a vote for daring to be different and somehow pulling it of.

All in all some nice skins for the contest. Good work everyone involved. :smile:

Level 31
@Arowanna, the last texturing contest you were near to win XD. I think this time i feel like you are stunning to the top.
You're deserved to wiped out all of them XD.
Also, I decide to vote Swamp Hound and Druid of the Swamp. They stand out a lot (sorry Bastard lmao..)

Level 8
Okay, after hours of profound examination and dissection of the textures to the smallest details, I came to the following conclusions:
1) Druid of the Swamp is Malfurion ripoff.
2) Mucklebone bastard is too skinny.
3) Knight of Swamp is ice revenant with different colors.
... Just realized that this applies to all the rest, well hell.
Therefore Mucklebone is my favorite.

Okay, after hours of profound examination and dissection of the textures to the smallest details, I came to the following conclusions:
1) Druid of the Swamp is Malfurion ripoff.
2) Mucklebone bastard is too skinny.
3) Knight of Swamp is ice revenant with different colors.

Okay, first of all, I took less than 5 minutes to check the details.
1) What do you mean ripoff? Its a re-texture and it hardly looks like Malfurion.
2) That's the model. The skin doesn't affect any of its geosets and stuff.
3) That's....exactly the point of the contest, and maybe all re-skins. Re-skins' purpose are solely to make one model look different, be it via colors or model details (color in this case,Wc3 can't change model details with skins) without actually changing the model.

Level 8
Okay, first of all, I took less than 5 minutes to check the details.
1) What do you mean ripoff? Its a re-texture and it hardly looks like Malfurion.
2) That's the model. The skin doesn't affect any of its geosets and stuff.
3) That's....exactly the point of the contest, and maybe all re-skins. Re-skins' purpose are solely to make one model look different, be it via colors or model details (color in this case,Wc3 can't change model details with skins) without actually changing the model.
That is not creative at all.

Level 2
I really don't understand what you want from retextures. Yes, Muckleborn Bastard is the most 'changed' from the base model, but it's still confined by simply being a texture. And, as good as it is, it doesn't really fit into a typical map.

Druid of the Swamp is no more a "rip-off" than any of the other textures. As a rule, all contest textures need to be drawn from scratch; can't utilize the base texture, iirc. Same goes for the Swamp Knight, who honestly looks nothing like a base Revenant. (My issue with the Knight is that the wrap seems to have heavily lost a lot of the detail from the texture. Combines with the grey/silver, it leads to a strangely untextured look.)

Level 8
I really don't understand what you want from retextures. Yes, Muckleborn Bastard is the most 'changed' from the base model, but it's still confined by simply being a texture. And, as good as it is, it doesn't really fit into a typical map.

Druid of the Swamp is no more a "rip-off" than any of the other textures. As a rule, all contest textures need to be drawn from scratch; can't utilize the base texture, iirc. Same goes for the Swamp Knight, who honestly looks nothing like a base Revenant. (My issue with the Knight is that the wrap seems to have heavily lost a lot of the detail from the texture. Combines with the grey/silver, it leads to a strangely untextured look.)
You have a point.

Level 10
My vote went for mucklebone bastard and the swamp hound.

Both of thzese entries feature, in my eyes, some great quality for their respective styles (i dig the lightning on the hound).

Considering the style, the swamp hound best fits to wc3 overall style, while i see the mucklebone bastard being usefull of other map genres, more fitting to horror styled maps or these zombie survival shootouts.

Status
Not open for further replies.