1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Texturing Contest #27 - Poll

Discussion in 'Poll Depository' started by Archian, Jan 1, 2018.

?

Vote for your favourite skin!

Poll closed Jan 8, 2018.
  1. Ancient Rootling by Arowanna

37.9%
  2. Cyber Naga by ~Nightmare

34.8%
  3. Droid by Mr.Goblin

18.2%
  4. The Mountain by bobadoo2

3.0%
  5. Titanforged by Chen

6.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Archian

Archian

Site Director

Resources:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    contests.png

Mechanize/Curse of flesh

Contestants were to create an inorganic unit, and make it as organic as possible, or vice-versa.

entries.png

134794-366f7988cde34de2be91460106d30974.png 134795-43365b624c4eb6160916a2e5d211a0a8.jpg
    Ancient Rootling by @Arowanna

sc3.png 134982-e7a2b68d2ec25b6ed264dfeaea450fc6.jpg
    Cyber Naga (Molten) by @~Nightmare

134636-779f771c07b5405d0abd992b172802d0.jpg 134637-da57b0f482cc0090b5d7bca4d4fc30f2.jpg
    Droid by @Mr.Goblin

134985-80a86f26abb31f6940c77987628b6151.png 134986-4cf37910e5e5e086a7dda7a3c185ab45.jpg
    Titanforged by @Chen

134758-9e9db937d45d793bf3d1f2adb9a61592.jpg 134759-97fbc51dcfad203aa4b32176bf140deb.jpg
    The Mountain by @bobadoo2

prizes.png
    • First Place: $35 (Sponsored by Shar Dundred), 40 reputation points and your entry on the award icon. Also the chance of getting a unique thematic rank icon done specifically regarding preference.
    • Second Place: $15 (Sponsored by Shar Dundred), 25 reputation points and an award icon.
    • Third Place: 10 reputation points and an award icon.

pollguidelines.png
    • Trying to manipulate the poll in any form is not allowed.
      If you're aware of ip-sharing with any voter, for any reason, you should contact the staff.
    • Harassment towards others to influence the result will lead to punishment.
      A neutral recommendation to take part at the poll isn't problematic, though.
    • Voting for yourself is not allowed, and will lead to a malus by 5%.
    • Participating in the poll does not explicitly safe one from being disqualified.
    You are very welcome to make a short statement what you like the most, so contestants get a bit of public feedback!

* This poll will close on Jan 8, 2018 at 9:34 PM.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  2. Mr.Goblin

Mr.Goblin

Art and Graphic Design Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Voting for @Arowanna because for me it's the most creative twist of a unit. :)

but let's be honest, Nightmare'S texture is brilliant ;D

3. Maxwell

Maxwell

Icon Reviewer

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I'm surprised to see so much great entries.

Cyber Naga (Molten) by @~Nightmare
    Wow. Insanely good and well-developed texture. Changes the model beyond recognition. I am delighted.

Ancient Rootling by @Arowanna
    I'm in love with this one. This texture suits Wc3 style really well. You have talent to turn units in "Ancients" one, @Arowanna.

Droid by @Mr.Goblin
    When I saw this texture in Skins section for the first time I could not believe my eyes. The quality is just perfect. Just want to come up with something, some kind of project to use this texture in the game.

In the end, I could not make a choice, so I decided not to vote for anybody.
    Thanks to every Participant for such cool stuff for our Skin section.

4. Archian

Archian

Site Director

Resources:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Please cast your vote nonetheless!

Also, really glad to see all the entries!

5. HappyTauren

HappyTauren

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Really tough choice between @~Nightmare and @Mr.Goblin for me. After the retexture, their models now look like they were made to be mechanical, which is kind of amazing.

I can't decide yet, though, since both textures are kind of flawless.

6. Misha

Misha

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
  7. Archian

Archian

Site Director

Resources:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I know how you feel. It's tough, but...

youmustchoose.gif

8. KILLCIDE

KILLCIDE

Administrator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    HappyTauren hit the nail on the head right here. I'm going to have to wait and decided between ~Nightmare and Mr.Goblin. Their skins literally feel like new models.

Also, SEXY new template @Archian

9. Apheraz Lucent

Apheraz Lucent

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Arowanna and the Rootling. Of all the entries, it seemed the most innovative to me. However, I really wish there was a lot more shadows on the skin. Wc3 is well known for it's dramatic shading - in the days when it was made, there was no actual light source or engine to cast shadows, so they had to overcompensate for it on the skins. But details are very crisp and sharp, and you did an awesome job on making the "pores" stand out - especially knowing how small units are in-game.

~Nightmare did a good, yet somewhat expected job. It was a very safe shot to turn something into a robot, regardless of how good it is - for a fantasy filled world, it's a shame to ignore creativity waving right up your nose. Try to incorporate team color in your skins - I know it's something you generally avoid, but it's a very important factor even if the model has team glow. Nonetheless, a very crisp skin and a good overall result, and nicely incorporated colors to avoid the monotones and their factor.

Same goes for Mr.Goblin - a safe shot, but a good skin. Great execution. Rarely re-skinned model. I almost wish there was just a bit more contrast there.

Chen, you went right on the edge here. It barely squeezed through the theme, what with it basically being an avatar version of a standard paladin. Resemblance to the original model's skin is just too much for it to be something to draw attention instantly. I do however want to compliment the actual skin execution, it fits rather nicely in the Wc3 universe, and the general drawing was above average.

bobadoo2, even for a very ungrateful unwrap, you needed to incorporate a lot more shadows and highlights, especially keeping in mind that this model is meant to be bigger than standard ones in-game, thus making it much more visible and the focus of attention. More of bigger details comes natural with the last stated fact. But it's a nice start, and I'll tip my hat for being so bold to work on one of the most difficult unwraps in the game.

Taking all the entries in context, my vote goes to... Arowanna!

10. HappyTauren

HappyTauren

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I can definitely get behind the Arowanna's entry needing more shadows. It just looks way too bright. If it was shaded properly, it'd be in my top 3 picks for sure.

11. ~Nightmare

~Nightmare

Texture Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Resources:
  12. Flux

Flux

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Tough one indeed. Gonna have to test this in-game to decide.

13. Exarch

Exarch

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
  14. Shido

Shido

Resources:
    Resources:
    Scumpy face remind me to Naze again XD. You deserved in my book @Arowanna.
    +1 Vote for Ancient Rooting.

15. PrinceYaser

PrinceYaser

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Really really hard to choose!

However, I finally made my decision after too many struggles. My vote goes for @Arowanna.

Great skins you have here, guys! :)

16. RED BARON

RED BARON

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Droid by Mr.Goblin: I have been hoping for a better purpose for the murloc. Its an often used unit as creeps that I find sadly boring and that is perhaps why I don't see much use for it in a custom map. However with this skin things have been changed significantly. A mass of droids hellbent on accomplishing their masters order or as props for an robotic lair. My imagination is sparked by the skin, and the brilliant use of team-color as part of the skin set it apart from the rest, in a way that together with the above, ensured my vote.

Cyber Naga (Molten) by ~Nightmare: Amazing hero skin, which utterly changes the purpose and use of the hero. This is no longer the maiden of the sea, but something hot and furious ready to bring tech to the forefront. The heated metal and the overall is just bad-ass and the only reason I am not giving this my vote, is that the options for Mr.Goblins seem more plentiful (and for the model rare) as the grunt, where this feels more like the boss of an area.

Ancient Rootling by Arowanna: The skin is incredible, sharp and detailed and the root "tail" a great way to match model to theme, although slightly too bright overall - more so when compared to other living trees in the game. However the weapon is a weak-point for me, and I dislike the location of the team-color which I don't feel work. Finally while this is a definite flesh to wood, the skin change have for me not changed is overall role. Its still very much a nature aligned creature, now just more towards to forest than the sea. All in all, that is why I consider this my third choice.

The Mountain by bobadoo2: In a way I really am tempted to give my vote for this model, as I truly love the idea of the giant plate armored warrior and the uses it could have. However while the skin is a horror to work with, there is no doubt that the skins above it on my list are just better work and the current version feels unfinished. Most noticeable on the hands/feet. I do also miss some more creativity towards this bad wrap, for instance the beard is one of those you can actually do some work with, and it is just plain. Perhaps a crest could have found its way here?

Titanforged by Chen: As an upload to Hive it is a useful skin. But for this competition it does too little and honestly I am not seeing the theme. I get the feeling of an undead paladin, or a game of thrones white walker more than the stone I believe it is.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  17. Apheraz Lucent

Apheraz Lucent

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
  18. moyackx

moyackx

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Cyber Naga and Droid are terrific. But Cyber Naga looks more dark. So my vote went to that baby. Congrats to @~Nightmare & @Mr.Goblin

19. M0rbid

M0rbid

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    I really liked the entries here... But I certaily was impressed with the Naga Retexture. Great job!

20. The Leader

The Leader

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Voted for @Arowanna's Ancient Rootling. It's an amazing skin, as the idea itself to transform the Naga Myrmidon in an Ancient.

Frankly said, it was hard for me to choose, what to vote, because Droid and Cyber Naga are also awesome.

Good luck to all contestants!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.