• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

+100 REP Team Contest - Hive Member - Poll

Which Hive Hero was created the best?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 37
I'll ask you: why did you decide to make what can literally be described as "3 spells in one", with a 'form-changer' ability to enable it? I'm not knocking it, I'm just saying you probably perceived the same thing implicitly that I did; that the spell needed to be sufficiently complex to be worth Judging (for a number of reasons).
Honestly, we had originally thought of just having the Paint Bomb explode when it reached the target location (hence where the name came from). However, we all agreed that it didn't feel "art-sy." So, we had decided to add the paint puddles for that.

I don't really think we were aiming for complexity :p we actually had A LOT of ideas we ended up throwing out because it was too complex. For example, we had originally intended for the slow from the yellow paint to increase over time. We also wanted to add a lightning effect that attached the unit to the puddle, and if they didn't break the link, they would be snared.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
I don't really think we were aiming for complexity :p we actually had A LOT of ideas we ended up throwing out because it was too complex. For example, we had originally intended for the slow from the yellow paint to increase over time. We also wanted to add a lightning effect that attached the unit to the puddle, and if they didn't break the link, they would be snared.
You may have thrown out ideas or additional sub-elements to avoid making it even more complex, but I don't think you would argue your current spell as-is isn't already relatively complex. ; )

Level 37
You may have thrown out ideas or additional sub-elements to avoid making it even more complex, but I don't think you would argue your current spell as-is isn't already relatively complex. ; )
By itself, I guess so. It's really just a modified Acid Bomb!

The "Switch Paint" mechanic will come into play when Direfury and I finish the kit after the contest ;D

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
By itself, I guess so. It's really just a modified Acid Bomb!

The "Switch Paint" mechanic will come into play when Direfury and I finish the kit after the contest ;D
I don't mean the base spell, silly (otherwise mine would be Transmute, lol); I mean the whole spell 'system', the effects. What you created for to be Judged. : )

Level 30
Originality, Complexity and Creativity are all very fragile terms. Let me demonstrate:

Say we take your force wall which knocks enemies in a line away from the caster. It's original to ladder spells, but not so come to modding community. If you, however, make the wall an actual wall of 300 range width which drags enemies away while it slows down reaching the final destination, you got yourself a creative, polished spell. Make the Wall create an impassable 500 width barrier at it's end, and you got originality. And for complexity, add a stun if a unit is dragged for longer than two seconds.

Using a very overused system (knockback), we still managed to create something new.
Using a superbly small detail, such as slowing down the wall as it goes, we made the entry look polished.
And using a petty stun added depth and complexity to the spell.

I say, for the sake of the future contests, we should decide do we factor in only ladder spells or modding community in general come to voting up these things.

Level 35
Reread your post and saw this :p what do you mean you failed to see the bonus?

Hehe, well I tried to walk the goblins over the puddle from the dead ones, first I expected them to get like a status effect to show the increase - which they didn't - but the puddle also vanished every time just as I reached it. I continued and realized that the goblins that stepped into a puddle got reformed / re-spawned, so I figured "ah! that's why the puddle vanished and the effect didn't show - it spawns a new version". But looking at the stats of this re-spawned goblin it matched that of the others without change. As such I began wondering if it was only a heal, but that couldn't be the case given the mention of other bonuses in the description. In the end I concluded that I couldn't tell if I had actually activated said bonus or not, and wrote that sentence.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
well, i'd call this already concluded .u. imo
Welcome to single-vote polling.

I say, for the sake of the future contests, we should decide do we factor in only ladder spells or modding community in general come to voting up these things.
I know this came last, but it's the most salient & important part going forward, so I'm putting it first, and that is to say:

this so hard

I think this is an incredibly important point to recognize; we need to 'set the stage' so that everyone's (entrants, voters, even Judges) expectations are aligned. It hurts to get dinged on 'originality' when you were making it "original for Warcraft", but the Judge was judging for "original to all of modding". :< I think it's something we can & should do for each & every Contest (even if just nominally; like if we decide on a default & then make sure no one has problems, 'reverse Byzantine' style).

And more than that for , not just for this particular issue, but for almost everything else, too. The most important elements to the Contest really shouldn't be 'left up to interpretation', but should be agreed upon, by the people competing, ideally.

In particular, I'm speaking specifically about something I have yet to formalize; that is, the relative 'seriousness' of the Contest, the goal. "Is this Contest mostly for fun/community, or this Contest mostly a serious 'test of skill'?" That single, solitary question underpins & defines nearly every other decision that is made.

More on this later.

Apheraz Lucent said:
Originality, Complexity and Creativity are all very fragile terms. Let me demonstrate:
Well technically I said "Creativity", "Originality", and "Uniqueness", not "Complexity". (I was talking about 'Complexity' earlier, but it's a different discussion, specific for this Contest, so I'll leave it aside for this one).

Apheraz Lucent said:
Originality, Complexity Uniqueness and Creativity are all very fragile terms. Let me demonstrate:

Say we take your force wall which knocks enemies in a line away from the caster. It's original to ladder spells, but not so come to modding community. If you, however, make the wall an actual wall of 300 range width which drags enemies away while it slows down reaching the final destination, you got yourself a creative, polished spell. Make the Wall create an impassable 500 width barrier at it's end, and you got originality. And for complexity, add a stun if a unit is dragged for longer than two seconds.

Using a very overused system (knockback), we still managed to create something new.
Using a superbly small detail, such as slowing down the wall as it goes, we made the entry look polished.
And using a petty stun added depth and complexity to the spell.
I completely agree, 'fragile' is a good word. I'd say the differences between them are very nuanced, very subtle, and in some ways kinda nonexistent (they are used as synonyms for a reason). It's why I use the "C/O/U" acronym for them, because it's a lot to type out when I often mean more than one.

Google defines them respectively as:

Creative
relating to or involving the imagination or original ideas...

Originality
the ability to think independently and creatively... the quality of being novel or unusual.

Uniqueness
the quality of being the only one of its kind... the quality of being particularly remarkable, special, or unusual

As you can see, there's a lot of overlap.

Personally, I am nearly always of the opinion that the bar for C/O/U should be, by default, set at Warcraft 3 (as it currently exists, at TFT). If anything, allow for points for going 'above & beyond' if you can come up with something C/O/U when it comes to the modding community as a whole.

This is for a few reasons: personally, everything I do is in the context of Warcraft 3; I'm usually 'adding to it' or 'replacing some things in it'. And in Warcraft 3, there are *tons* of abilities, with very little 'direct, functional overlap'... But loads of indirect and/or combinatorial overlap (perfect examples: Drunken Haze = Evasion & Critical Strike. Spiked Carapace = personal Thorns & Devotion Auras. Web = Autocast Ensnare only vs. Air. Etc etc etc).

So you can have a hero with all four abilities that are, at their heart, mostly mixed & combined versions of existing abilities. And to me, that's still OK; that's still "technically C/O/U".

Then sometimes you get a hero like the Swashbuckler (Hero Contest #8), where almost every skill in his skill-set is not only "technically C/O/U", but also literally C/O/U. (Again, though, only for Warcraft. Riposte exists all over, Turmoil is basically a variant of the Red Alert 2 Yuri's Revenge's Chaos Drone's Chaos Cloud, Snare Trap & Persecute are probably both in DotA, and all of those probably exist in the Spell section in some form). That is something that high marks in my book (and did).

Requiring contestants to 'meet the bar' of C/O/U in terms of the *everything* (like, the Hive's Spell section... Or worse, truly everything, like every game ever made) is, I feel, an unnecessarily high bar. Also an inconsistent one; two Judges using the same Criteria should not get wildly divergent results, generally; but that's totally possible if Judge A hasn't played as many games (& thus been exposed to more ideas) as Judge B. Judge B, having played everything ever, sees nothing as truly C/O/U and grades accordingly (low). That seems no bueno to me.

I think there's more on that topic but I've already taken up a lot of time/real-estate, so I'll leave it there for now.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
As much as I agree with Aph and Kyrbi0's point about making it more clear, everyone had over 50 days to ask @Cokemonkey11 that question.
I honestly didn't think about it, mostly because I treated this Contest as more of "for fun" rather than "test of skill" (see above, & later). If I had cared more (as I will for future Contests), I would have brought it up (however, to be honest, we've seen the kind of response afforded to my concerns in the past...).

Yeah, I wasn't complaining with Apheraz about this Contest, per se. Just laying some groundwork for future Contests.

Nonetheless, we should always move with times. It is visible that Arena has been neglected ever since Pharah_ left.
Yeah, I wasn't complaining with Apheraz about this Contest, per se. Just laying some groundwork for future Contests.
I have more the feeling contests get more stable again. We were lacking clear public guides in past, which we work(ed) on now. Rules and overall understanding seems also more uniform and less arbitary when I look in past. But fore sure it's not perfect.

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
It is visible that Arena has been neglected ever since Pharah_ left.
While I don't mean to disagree, I think that since @KILLCIDE and @IcemanBo are taking care of
things here, Arena recovers from this neglection.

ANYWAY, I will get back to the topic, if you don't mind:
I voted for the Fabricator Tank or Frank-Tank. Love that thing.

Attachments

• Unbenannt.PNG
    Unbenannt.PNG
    366.8 KB · Views: 94
Level 37
Oh definitely. I'm all for making this more clear in future spell-related contests. I was in it for fun as well, so I didn't think about asking either :3

While I don't mean to disagree, I think that since @KILLCIDE and @IcemanBo are taking care of
things here, Arena recovers from this neglection.
IcemanBo & Naze are sort of the unnofficial Arena Moderators at the moment. I throw in my opinion here and there whenever we have a discussion about the Arena, and I'll sometimes do some work if either of them miss something. I definitely rely on the opinions of users such as what @Apheraz Lucent and @Kyrbi0 said to help get the Arena to the right place, so feel free to post them (in another thread ;D).

This poll will close on Feb 11, 2018 at 7:03 AM.
Because judging is a volunteer's work, is dreadfully boring and long to do, and judges have soul as well.
Yup. Also, this is one heck of a job with this contest. There's so many entries! D:

Status
Not open for further replies.