• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Texturing Contest #27 - Poll

Vote for your favourite skin!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
contests.png

Mechanize/Curse of flesh

Contestants were to create an inorganic unit, and make it as organic as possible, or vice-versa.

entries.png

134794-366f7988cde34de2be91460106d30974.png 134795-43365b624c4eb6160916a2e5d211a0a8.jpg
Ancient Rootling by @Arowanna

sc3.png 134982-e7a2b68d2ec25b6ed264dfeaea450fc6.jpg
Cyber Naga (Molten) by @~Nightmare

134636-779f771c07b5405d0abd992b172802d0.jpg 134637-da57b0f482cc0090b5d7bca4d4fc30f2.jpg
Droid by @Mr.Goblin

134985-80a86f26abb31f6940c77987628b6151.png 134986-4cf37910e5e5e086a7dda7a3c185ab45.jpg
Titanforged by @Chen

134758-9e9db937d45d793bf3d1f2adb9a61592.jpg 134759-97fbc51dcfad203aa4b32176bf140deb.jpg
The Mountain by @bobadoo2

prizes.png

• First Place: $35 (Sponsored by Shar Dundred), 40 reputation points and your entry on the award icon. Also the chance of getting a unique thematic rank icon done specifically regarding preference.
  • Second Place: $15 (Sponsored by Shar Dundred), 25 reputation points and an award icon.
  • Third Place: 10 reputation points and an award icon.

pollguidelines.png

• Trying to manipulate the poll in any form is not allowed.
    If you're aware of ip-sharing with any voter, for any reason, you should contact the staff.
  • Harassment towards others to influence the result will lead to punishment.
    A neutral recommendation to take part at the poll isn't problematic, though.
  • Voting for yourself is not allowed, and will lead to a malus by 5%.
  • Participating in the poll does not explicitly safe one from being disqualified.
You are very welcome to make a short statement what you like the most, so contestants get a bit of public feedback!

* This poll will close on Jan 8, 2018 at 9:34 PM.

Last edited:
Level 22
I'm surprised to see so much great entries.

Cyber Naga (Molten) by @~Nightmare
Wow. Insanely good and well-developed texture. Changes the model beyond recognition. I am delighted.

Ancient Rootling by @Arowanna
I'm in love with this one. This texture suits Wc3 style really well. You have talent to turn units in "Ancients" one, @Arowanna.

Droid by @Mr.Goblin
When I saw this texture in Skins section for the first time I could not believe my eyes. The quality is just perfect. Just want to come up with something, some kind of project to use this texture in the game.

In the end, I could not make a choice, so I decided not to vote for anybody.
Thanks to every Participant for such cool stuff for our Skin section.

Level 30
Arowanna and the Rootling. Of all the entries, it seemed the most innovative to me. However, I really wish there was a lot more shadows on the skin. Wc3 is well known for it's dramatic shading - in the days when it was made, there was no actual light source or engine to cast shadows, so they had to overcompensate for it on the skins. But details are very crisp and sharp, and you did an awesome job on making the "pores" stand out - especially knowing how small units are in-game.

~Nightmare did a good, yet somewhat expected job. It was a very safe shot to turn something into a robot, regardless of how good it is - for a fantasy filled world, it's a shame to ignore creativity waving right up your nose. Try to incorporate team color in your skins - I know it's something you generally avoid, but it's a very important factor even if the model has team glow. Nonetheless, a very crisp skin and a good overall result, and nicely incorporated colors to avoid the monotones and their factor.

Same goes for Mr.Goblin - a safe shot, but a good skin. Great execution. Rarely re-skinned model. I almost wish there was just a bit more contrast there.

Chen, you went right on the edge here. It barely squeezed through the theme, what with it basically being an avatar version of a standard paladin. Resemblance to the original model's skin is just too much for it to be something to draw attention instantly. I do however want to compliment the actual skin execution, it fits rather nicely in the Wc3 universe, and the general drawing was above average.

bobadoo2, even for a very ungrateful unwrap, you needed to incorporate a lot more shadows and highlights, especially keeping in mind that this model is meant to be bigger than standard ones in-game, thus making it much more visible and the focus of attention. More of bigger details comes natural with the last stated fact. But it's a nice start, and I'll tip my hat for being so bold to work on one of the most difficult unwraps in the game.

Taking all the entries in context, my vote goes to... Arowanna!

Level 35
Droid by Mr.Goblin: I have been hoping for a better purpose for the murloc. Its an often used unit as creeps that I find sadly boring and that is perhaps why I don't see much use for it in a custom map. However with this skin things have been changed significantly. A mass of droids hellbent on accomplishing their masters order or as props for an robotic lair. My imagination is sparked by the skin, and the brilliant use of team-color as part of the skin set it apart from the rest, in a way that together with the above, ensured my vote.

Cyber Naga (Molten) by ~Nightmare: Amazing hero skin, which utterly changes the purpose and use of the hero. This is no longer the maiden of the sea, but something hot and furious ready to bring tech to the forefront. The heated metal and the overall is just bad-ass and the only reason I am not giving this my vote, is that the options for Mr.Goblins seem more plentiful (and for the model rare) as the grunt, where this feels more like the boss of an area.

Ancient Rootling by Arowanna: The skin is incredible, sharp and detailed and the root "tail" a great way to match model to theme, although slightly too bright overall - more so when compared to other living trees in the game. However the weapon is a weak-point for me, and I dislike the location of the team-color which I don't feel work. Finally while this is a definite flesh to wood, the skin change have for me not changed is overall role. Its still very much a nature aligned creature, now just more towards to forest than the sea. All in all, that is why I consider this my third choice.

The Mountain by bobadoo2: In a way I really am tempted to give my vote for this model, as I truly love the idea of the giant plate armored warrior and the uses it could have. However while the skin is a horror to work with, there is no doubt that the skins above it on my list are just better work and the current version feels unfinished. Most noticeable on the hands/feet. I do also miss some more creativity towards this bad wrap, for instance the beard is one of those you can actually do some work with, and it is just plain. Perhaps a crest could have found its way here?

Titanforged by Chen: As an upload to Hive it is a useful skin. But for this competition it does too little and honestly I am not seeing the theme. I get the feeling of an undead paladin, or a game of thrones white walker more than the stone I believe it is.

Last edited:

A.R.

Skin Reviewer
Level 25
My vote goes to @Chen for best implementation. Texture size and detail level is most consistent with WC3 and also very consistent with the theme.

Shout out to @~Nightmare and @Mr.Goblin as well, amazing work both of you :)

@Arowanna also did excellent texture work but since Naga and Ancients are both technically "organic," I couldn't give full points for theme.

All in all, some great quality work produced here everyone! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.