• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Texturing Contest #21 - Creep Warlords - Poll

Vote for your favourite entry!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

the%20hive%20workshop.png

texturing.png
contest.png
number.png
2.png
1.png

poll.png

thwtc21p.png

Creep Warlords
Upgrade a creep unit to a top tier instance of itself.
Further details on what models you can work on and what you can do with them in the rules.

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

• ENTRY RULES:
  • No submission may violate any of the site rules.
  • If a submission does not follow the skin submission rules, the creator will be disqualified.
  • Your submission must be posted before the deadline. The post containing your final submission must also contain the following:
    • An in-game screenshot showing your submission in action.
    • The file(s) in the appropriate format.
  • You must show at least one unfinished preview of your submission, before the deadline, as proof that it is yours.
  • Your submission may not be started/made before the official launch of the contest.
  • Judges may not participate.
  • Teamwork is not allowed.
  • Textures must be no larger than 512 pixels in any dimension when submitted as final entry.
    You may work in 1024 (or higher), but the texture must be resized down to 512 pixels on equal dimension textures when submitted.
  • Your chosen unit must be an existing WCIII model and you may not edit the model in any way.
  • You can not change the race of the chosen unit. You are supposed to upgrade the unit of your choice to a top tier unit.
  • You can not make a skin for a unit whose model is not found under Unit/Creeps in the MPQ and turn it into a creep race.
  • You can not make a skin for a unit that is not found in the Neutral Hostile category of the Object Editor's list of units

• VOTING RULES:
  • Each user can only vote once in the poll.
  • You cannot vote for yourself. If a voter has the same IP as the author then the vote will not be counted and it may result in the disqualification of the entry.
  • You cannot create multiple accounts to vote for an entry in the poll. If a voter has been found to be using multiple accounts none of the voters votes will count in the final result.
  • You cannot bribe users for votes. Contestants who break this rule will be disqualified and lose reputation points.
prizes.png

• First Place: 40 reputation points and your entry on the award icon
  • Second Place: 25 reputation points and an award icon
  • Third Place: 10 reputation points and an award icon
entries.png

judges.png

• Dentothor
  • Stanakin Skywalker
  • Let me know if you are willing to judge and I'll consider it.

contest%20judging%20and%20voting.png

Shading
Does the unit fit into the WCIII lighting environment? Is the source of light consistent? Does the unit have a realistic 3D shape enhanced by the shading? Is each individual part shaded according to the material?/30%

Concept
Does the design of the unit suit the model it is wrapped on? Has the author come up with creative ways to change parts of the model into something new? Does the unit fit into the style of WCIII?/40%

Details
Does the unit appear blurry and bland in-game? Are the details appropriate and realistically placed? Are the materials in use easily recognized?/30%
  • 75 % of the points shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • 25 % of the points shall be determined by the results of a public poll.

disclaimer.png

Inviting your friends to vote for you, bribing random members with reputation points and/or cheating otherwise with the vB Poll System will result in disqualification, black listing from future contests, deduction of reputation points and, in severe cases, an infraction.

This includes, but is not limited to, sending PMs out to various users, getting other people to send those PMs, advertising this contest on other sites with the intention to gain more votes (whether it is explicitly stated or not), and so on. If you are suspected of cheating, the staff will notify you and interrogate you (if necessary) over PMs.​

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 14
I'll either pick shiik's or the sea warlord
Edit: oh well i will just randomize till i get an answer
Edit2: ok i picked the sea giant,looks epic,sorry ShiiK..

Level 21
I'm voting for Mr. Goblin's razormane pig skin, because it was epic, and we need more pig men for the Horde and Alliance to face.
Oh and that one pic with all the peons being wiped out gets my points for it as well, and Mr. Goblin you have my support.

Level 13
i'm having split decision w/ mr goblin's nd morbid's. >.<

very hard decision... xD

EDIT:
Because of it's overall bad-assness... I pick Mr. Goblin's vs Morbid's

Mr. Goblin's vs Morbid's
Detail: 60% > 40% (doesn't mean the other is lacking)
Race: 40% < 60%
Costume: 52% > 48%
Color: 55% > 45% (Because I like darker colors) xP
Unit: 35% < 65%

Total
3 > 2

Mr. Goblin's details pulled me out from my addiction to badass faceless ones race. xD

Level 12
This contest actually really surprised me in comparison to previous ones!
Firstly, I think there was WAY too much emphasis on facial detail for a neutral creep boss... All the more when it comes instead of the general skin detail! (ehm, Red Shift, Dionesiist)
Secondly there was an unusually high of colorfulness in many entries. Creeps are supposed to represent their surrounding environment (and be awesome and frightening while at it), but lots of entries looked like someone puked rainbows all over them! And there's nothing in the contest rules about that! (i.e. shiik, Just_Spectating, 67chrome).
May I add that for some reason I felt like 67chrome disappointed me in particular, since he/she (no idea) are always surprising me with original an well executed ideas, and this time has appeared to have lowered their standards.
My vote goes to M0rbid, for the awesome priceless Faceless skin which reflects all the pure evil that faceless creatures can possibly harness. I also liked Mr.Goblin's skin for the razormane, however I had a problem with that skin simply not looking quill razormane anymore...

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Wait, wait, thanks for the feedback, but colourful? He's got leather like any other troll, and I slapped some metal armour on as well to give him that bit of extra that makes him a warlord instead of a regular troll. There's no rainbows. One secondary colour, purple, one tertiary colour, brown, a royal blue scarf around his neck to work around the horrible wrap without blending into the leather armour, some grey and one "primary/secondary" colour - the team-colour. I can't see where you're getting colourful from.

EDIT: Also, added Stanakin Skywalker as judge.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

If you're referring to my critique, Just_Spectating, I meant to say each individual colour lacked hue variation, not that the whole design needed more colour. Though I would like to add that it lacks a proper contrast, the majority of the texture sticks to one slice of pie from the colour wheel. Perhaps if you had used a seagreen, or even blue, colour for the skin and consequently removed the purple and teal, it would be more wholesome in terms of colour palette. It would also fit in better with the Sea Giants.

Level 7
The competition is pretty tight. I'm having travel on voting. But then again, I chose Morbid's work. I also like Mr.Goblin's work.

Level 21
This sounds nerdy, but Yogg-Sarons elite rocks socks. Nerd talk off (that means i favor the faceless predator btw... ;)

Level 25
Well, I voted for Mr. Goblin's Razormane. For me, it really had that feeling of being a chief. I also really liked shiiK's Dark Troll. Whilst M0rbid's Faceless skin surely was awesome, it sorta lacked that "warlord" feel to it. In my opinion, it looks as if it is just an armor-upgraded Faceless One, probably since the skin color wasn't changed.

Humm.. after studying each textures, here's my comments.

Shiik = Kinda like the armour design, but the design wasn't really original. You just keep on making troll texture and I think that's the reason why I didn't vote for you. But I do feel the Prestige of a leader in it :D
Design = 6/10 / Texture = 8/10 / Chieftain's Prestige = 7/10

Just_spectating = Great design! I really love the fact you went for a complete opposite more treasure decorated Giant, I really like that idea, + your texture was really well made :D, I just think you should have done a better job with your colour choice, like making that shark dark brown instead or something. If I would have done it, I would have make him a tad more dirty covered of seaweed and stuff, cause even though he's a leader, Sea Giant seems much more barbaric than anything. So You lost a few points on your design over the prestige.
Design = 8/10 / Texture = 8/10 / Chieftain's Prestige = 6/10

Dionessist = not your best texture so far, but! I just seeeeriiiiouuuuusly Dig that design of yours, it's simple, yet it inspires me a lot due to the design of it. You could have done a much better work with the texture itself, but seriously, I'm in Luuuuuuuv with the design. (you got my vote + 100 originality :D) For his look of a leader, he Looks like an angry mojo that could kick everyone's butt...twice... <3
Design = 11/10 / Texture = 5/10 / Chieftain's Prestige = 9/10

Red_Shift = THE FACE!! = JIZZ IN PANTS, I didn't see the body.. because it was blurry and just, not great, you could have done Much better to my eyes. I Like the idea, but in warcraft3 we fight creature in small groups lying in the woods, doesn't really fit to be a leader for me :\ (following the warcraft3 logic, I mean)
Design = 5/10 / Texture = 7/10 / Chieftain's Prestige = 3/10

67Chrome. = Too much colour, to much un-needed details, which makes the whole texture looks really blurry and sketchy D: I'm sorry mate, I respect you as an artist, but this is far from being your best work. I like the fact he's wearing better armours than the rest, and holds more usefull stuff, but because of the colour and the overdone detailed he lost A LOT in his appearance of being a leader.
Design = 6/10 / Texture = 5/10 / Chieftain's Prestige = 3/10

Morbid = Like the texture work you've made, but I find your design the most boring of all, :\ I really don't find it interesting, and you could have done so much better with the texture choice you picked. Doesn't really look like a leader, just a Faceless guy with armour on... for me at least.
Design = 6/10 / Texture = 7/10 / Chieftain's Prestige = 5/10

Last edited:

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Oh, I think I must've missed this review earlier. Thanks for the effort, and as for the review of my entry, well, in hindsight, it was a really bad idea to make another troll because everyone has already seen what I do with them. Thanks, though, I did primarily aim to make a warlord and I seem to have managed that pretty well. :)

Also, it's nice if people keep posting, if only just to name who they voted for and why. It keeps the thread active so people notice it, and stuff...

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Yeah, we need to show M0rbid who's the.. uhm, boss. Next round. Because this guy is just hauling victories now.. *mutter*

Level 10
I voted for Just_Spectating's Sea Giant because I didn't feel like the color choices really were a downside.

I actually felt that it was a great idea! Blizzard's Sea Giants are generally the same teal/green combination, but the only time they varied and made one purple was when it was a boss.

Not only did it feel rather bosslike, but it also managed to fit in with the rest of the Blizzard models of its race. Other textures that were very well done, such as the Razormane, the Dark Troll, and possibly the Faceless One, I did not vote for because the style was so custom that they looked like they belonged in another game.

Last edited:
Level 8
had a hard time choosing between Mr.Goblin's, M0rbid's and Dionesiist's 'cause they all look like the creep's leader, but chose Mr.Goblin's 'cause:
1. at second look, M0rbid's Faceless One suddenly looked like an armored Illidan to me (Facelesses are my favorite too D:)
2. Dionesiist's Satyr looked like a rainbow because of the green gauntlet and yellow blade, when paired with a Blue Player's armor and horns, but i really like the demonic face.
3. i thought 67chrome's entry was a pirate ('cause the thumbnail for the face was the first to load for me and Jack Sparrow came to my mind), and the brown armor looks like leather - compared to the Bandit Lord's metal armor.
4. Red Shift's Bandit Mage face is cool! and i like the bangs :D
5. shiiK's Troll was great too, but.. the number of Trolls in Warcraft made it too normal
6. i like the Ruin-like armor of Just_Spectating's Sea Giant too, but it looks rocky for something that can swim (hope it does not errode in water?)

EDIT: wait, i didn't post the reason why i voted Mr.Goblin.
~cause the Razormane keeps on shouting "Immabosshere! Snork!"

Level 15
All the contest here are really good,Hard to chose one.
After some time i stick into Dios or Just_spec
Dios Satyr has a really good concept very creative and the design is really creative,the texture quality isn't that good,but overall is a great design.
(the flaming fists are totally amazing)
Just_spectating another great cocept with really nice detailes i like how the armor look's and the contrast beetwen the skin of the giant and...the armor.
The runes and minor details look's great,the only thing i dislike is the anchor,but that's because of the model itself.
Really look's like a ancient creature,so after all my vote goes for Just_speacting.

Great work to everyone,good to see some of you back at the contests.

Level 14
I've voted for Mr.Goblin. I think it's the best skin. I mean, he made a plain razorback look completely badass.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Just letting you know that I haven't heard from the judges yet, and I didn't really expect to have heard anything considering the time of year. The results will be up as soon as the judging is in, though.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

I'm going to need new judges. Neither Stanakin nor Dentothor have shown up for quite some time. I'd withdraw my entry and judge myself if I had the time for it, but I do not.

If you can judge, or have anyone in mind that could, let me know as soon as possible.

Hum, I don't think we really need an Artist to judge, just someone that is into art, so you could ask like Frankster, anarchiandbedlam or shamanyouranus to judge for example... Because beside the technical stuff, judging a model competition is pretty the same thing as a texturing competition.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

judging? results?

I'm going to need new judges. Neither Stanakin nor Dentothor have shown up for quite some time. I'd withdraw my entry and judge myself if I had the time for it, but I do not.

If you can judge, or have anyone in mind that could, let me know as soon as possible.

Nothing I can do when the judges just abandon ship.

Status
Not open for further replies.