• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Texturing Competition #3 Poll

Which gladiator created the best texture?

• [url=http://hiveworkshop.com/forums/showthread.php?p=282335#post282335]Dalaran_Guard - demon[/url]

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 32
texturingcompetitionjk7.gif

Texturing Competition #3 Poll

Texturing Competition #3 is complete and the time has finally arrived for our members to decide who is the most proficient skinner among the eight contestants.

Everyone should vote for their favorite texture based on the following criteria:
Rules and Guidelines:
  • The model must be an existing unit within Warcraft 3.
  • No model edits are permitted.
  • The skin has to be atleast 75% freehand created.
  • You must post at least 1 WIP skin preview before the deadline.
  • To qualify for entry, you must post your .blp and an ingame screenshot.
  • You must post your entry before the deadline expires.
  • You must make the textures for this competition. Which means that you cannot use old skins.
  • Textures must be no larger than 256 pixels in any dimension when submitted as final entry, though you may work in 512 (or higher), but they must be resized down to 256 when submitted.

The arena gladiators and their submissions:

infrenus - VillagerKid
there is not cute?

VillagerKid.jpg

SuPa- - Clown
Finished! Here it is, all nice and complete

ClownSkin05.jpg

Arab4life - Three-Eyed Demon One
I am now submitting what i have as my final entry.

Demon One Improved.jpg

Dionesiist - Moloch
Finished.
I converted Tichondrius into a fallen angel/satyr/whatever ':\

Moloch01.jpg

Odin - Pit Stalker
"Pit Stalker"

PitStalker.jpg

THE_END - Eredar Annihilator
Here he is The Eredar Annihilator

Druidoftheclaw.jpg

Dalaran_Guard - demon
Path is: Textures\gnoll.blp

demon.jpg

Denu - DennedarTheLasher
Ok its done :)
although the armor still could wrap better...

DennedarTheLasher.jpg

Additionally, certain thread-specific conditions apply to users that choose to exercise their right and privilege to vote in this poll and/or post in this thread.

1. All Hive Workshop members (other than myself) are encouraged to participate in this poll.

2. The contestants in this competition may vote, but not for themselves.

3. Each person may vote once: records will be kept in the poll itself and will be viewable by the general public.

4. Users may post once (and only once) in this thread to critique the submissions and to justify their decisions. Please edit existing posts if it is later found necessary to include additional comments or detail. Thanks.

5. The victor shall be determined by the results of the above poll which will close on

07-20-2007

Good luck to all the contestants and may the best skin win!

Last edited:
Level 14
I voted for THE_END's because he chose one hell of an akward model (albeit there aren't too many alternatives) to transform into an Eredar and well he turned it into an Eredar :D

He also made the texture fit in extremely well with blizzards. The only thing I have a problem with is the gold armor. It needs some more shine to it.

Level 18
Mehh the shine could be more..shiny
But I voted for..(insert drumroll) DIO'S SKIN!
I thought the Dreadlord conversion was sick
The model unwrap is also hell and he worked with it nice
AND! I have also seen Dio become better since he first started
So I kinda like seeing him "grow up"
/cries

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

Dio. Denu's was by far the best quality without a doubt, but I like the Moloch skin's cartooniness, it fits in with Warcraft very well.

Level 11
Though the quality of these textures is impressive, there can be only one winner, eh? And that of course, means that the ingame appearance comes in place. It was hard for me to decide between the Fallen Angel and the Satyr. But though the Satyr had a much greater quality as a texture, it looked quite awkward ingame. Therefore, my vote goes for teh Fallen Angel. Sorry Denu!

-Mihai

Level 12
This was a real hard one to judge for me:
Top 3 - I thought were Dionesiist, The_End, Denu

In picking one, I had to go with the dreadlord simply, because I tought it was the coolest one and I love UD skins.

Level 10
Infrenus's villager kid was finished in about a day after he had joined the competition, and the arm looked like CnP.. Either way i didnt like it that much, also, you forgot to skin the ear. He still has human ears.

Although in my opinion Supa-'s clown's skin unwrap is not very good quality, the in game apperance is good. And its something new, (A demon clown? Did you hit your head recently?) No dont worry thats a good thing. Very creative.

Dio's skin is very well done, very good detail, but it just doesnt appeal to me, i dont know why. The wings are nice, they stand out. But i think the armor could have been changed alot better, perhaps no armor at all would have suited it better.

Odin's pit stalker was alot of work that doesnt show. Which disappoints me. Its not that he didnt skin it well, its that he chose the wrong idea. Making another Pitlord thats slightly different from the original. Its a good race conversion, but it doesnt really stand out at all. Looked way too much like a pitlord.

THE_END's eredar had a nice Unwrap, but looking at it i thought it was a bit un-detailed. The parts i thought were un-detailed turned out fine in game... most of them. You lost my vote because of how the shoulders turned out in game. It ruined the entire skin. It was good, untill i saw the shoulders in game. The chest muscles looked a bit tilted to the side also...

Dalaran_Guard had good progress, but its like he stopped, re did it red, and didnt finish the body. The legs turned out great. But it looked like you started again late and didnt have time to finish.

Denu wins the unwrap award. BY FAR better than all the other unwraps. Great quality, and you finished so fast. The unwrap was great. You almost got my vote, ALMOST.

But though the Satyr had a much greater quality as a texture, it looked quite awkward ingame.

Thats the same reason you lost my vote. But it wasnt your fault, its blizzards for giving the satyr a strange jagged chest. The white hair didnt suit it either, i actually thought you were doing alpha skinning on the hair part.

For the following reasons above, my vote goes to.....

Me.

No just kidding. Supa- gets my vote. Although not the best unwrap, it was the most creative, inventive idea. Everyone else went for the undeadish, demonish conversions. Turning skin red, giving claws and such. But you made a blood spalattered Clown. Looks straight out of a horror movie.

I was about to decide not to vote for you, because i dont think the quality of the unwrap was good enough, but it looked good ingame.

Level 21
Congratulations Denu!

And congratulations to all the participants.

This thread will remain open for another week or so.

The bounty will soon be awarded to the top threee finishers:
  1. Denu - DennedarTheLasher

2. Dionesiist - Moloch

3. THE_END - Eredar Annihilator

In the competition it only said there was a first place prize, but oh well

Level 32
What I thought was kinda weird was how you posted the skins
You only showed the unwrap, not how they looked on the models
I just showed (as best I could) what YOU guts posted in your submissions. I added the unwraps to the post and provided two ways (quote and links on the poll) for voters to analyze the actual submissions in greater detail.

I wasn't originally in charge of this contest and managed the poll as a courtesy to a friend... guess I sorta botched it. At any rate, I just didn't have time to import each skin, apply them to models, screenshot them and post those images. Maybe next time.

Awesome texture art BTW gang!

Level 14
I thought that was going to be a seperate competition. Thats texturing but I always thought skinning as a texture wrapping around a model. Well they ARE called texturing competitions here...

I had wanted a skinning competition of mounted/dismounted units which I had suggested for one of the skinning competitions at wc3c. Maybe I should go over there and suggest it again since they are finnishing up their most rescent competition. UI sounds cool. I did a little testing in that area a while ago. Its abit different than what I am normally used to.

Level 26
I had an idea brewing in my head for doing dual skins, like an angelic and demonic form of the same unit, offering more time to do these skins, but then the ideas thread came up with demon. =(

Status
Not open for further replies.