• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Texturing Contest #15 - Futuristic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 38

ss79.jpg

Texturing Contest #15
Futuristic

This contest will focus on creating units that look futuristic. They can be purely mechanical, look like time travelers, be organic weapons, essentially anything you can convince the contestants and judges is futuristic.

Contest Rules And Conditions
    • No submission may violate any of the site rules.
    • If a submission does not follow the skin submission rules the creator will be disqualified.
    • All submissions must follow the current theme. If any model does not fit, a moderator will tell you as soon as possible as to avoid confusion.
    • Your submission must be posted before the deadline. The post containing your final submission must also contain the following:
      • An in game screenshot showing your submission in action.
      • The file in the appropriate format.
    • You must show at least one unfinished preview of your submission, before the deadline, as proof that it’s yours.
    • Your submission may not be started/made before the official launch of the contest.
    • Judges and/or hosts may not participate.
    • Your final submission must be bug free.
    • Teamwork is not allowed.
    • Model must exist in Warcraft III already.
    • No model edits are allowed.
    • Textures must be no larger than 512 pixels in any dimension when submitted as final entry, though you may work in 1024 (or higher), but they must be resized down to 512, preferable 256 on equal dimension textures when submitted.

Contest Prizes And Winnings
  • First Place: 40 reputation points and an award icon
  • Second Place: 25 reputation points
  • Third Place: 10 reputation points

Contest Judging And Voting
  • Judges:
    67chrome
    ?
  • Judging Criteria:

Shading and Highlights
    Is the skin shaded? Is the shading and Highlights appropriate? Does the shading fallow a consistent light source? Are metallic regions shaded correctly? Does the skin look 3D when wrapped around a unit and viewed with lightning conditions disabled?/25%

Originality and Creativity
    How original is this skin? Is it something new and interesting, or is it to creative? Does the skin have any resemblance to the original, or is it so different you need to tell us what it wraps around? Does the skin have a good underlying concept and idea?/25%

Texture Detail
    Is the skin Blurry? How well are the detail created on the skin? Are the patterns, armor, joints and seems in new and innovative places or the same spot as the original skin? How well are the patterns created? How 3-dimensional does the texture make flat portions of the skin appear?/25%

In-Game Dynamics
    How well does the skin work in WC3? Does the portrait work with the skin as well? Does the skin fit in with other units or does it stand out in the wrong way?/25%
  • 50 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • 50 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.

Contestants

If you would like to enter the contest simply make a post in this thread, stating the information about your entry. Adding a WIP of your skin will get you added to this snazzy list :D (Weather you like it or not :O )

Contestant NameEntry Name
ARFuchikoma or Sorceress
CombatTheWombatMech-Wold Shadowclaw
DentothorNarcainian Assassin
DionesiistHarpy
Elfsilver LordSome blue anime chick
HirutyDragon Roost
l0w_kwalitiFaceless One
Mr.Goblin Tree of Life
RevolveClose-Combat Guerilla Veteran
SabelionTichondrius
SquidleClaw Druid
Stanakin SkywalkerPriestess of the Moon
supertoinkzMarine :mad:
The D3athSasquatch
TurtleRacingCarBeast Master
XezkoArthas

Contest Dates And Deadline
  • The contest shall begin on September 20, 2009 and conclude on [rainbow]October 20, 2009
    Time[/rainbow] (GMT)

Last edited:
Level 38
Oh great, you couldn't start it in the weekend you slackers >:< Jk, I'm definitely in!

Well, it is planned so it will conveniently end on a Tuesday, which is scientifically proven to be the best possible day to end the contest on. It's almost Monday, which makes it almost right after the weekend, giving a good block of time for the final push in most entries :D
Or it could be i just figured out how to host contests yesterday. Either or, I'm going with explanation #1 for the record though.

Anyone have any ideas so far? Any models you are trying to lay dibs on? As far as model choices go I would discourage anyone from doing the marine, as it is pretty much the one model that is futuristic in WC3. Everything else is fair game :D

Lol, I am thinking of doing space pirate, which will most likely have a chainsword as well.

EDIT: And no, Avatar doesn't count as futuristic. Thats like saying DUR HUR here is a huge furry ancient looking beast, BUT I SAW IT IN A SCIFI MOVIE, SO ITS FUTURISTIC RIGHT GUYZ!?!?! Well the answer is NO, that isn't futuristic, I think when the contest theme was set as futuristic it was meant to be robots/cyborgs/organic weapons with mechanical and electronic elements. NOT silly looking blue-skinned demons.

Level 12
Lol, I am thinking of doing space pirate, which will most likely have a chainsword as well.

EDIT: And no, Avatar doesn't count as futuristic. Thats like saying DUR HUR here is a huge furry ancient looking beast, BUT I SAW IT IN A SCIFI MOVIE, SO ITS FUTURISTIC RIGHT GUYZ!?!?! Well the answer is NO, that isn't futuristic, I think when the contest theme was set as futuristic it was meant to be robots/cyborgs/organic weapons with mechanical and electronic elements. NOT silly looking blue-skinned demons.

What if the robots and cyborgs aren't our future? :) Extraterrestrials are our future perhaps :))) And they aren't demons, humans are demons in the movie :))

Level 38
What if the robots and cyborgs aren't our future? :) Extraterrestrials are our future perhaps :))) And they aren't demons, humans are demons in the movie :))

My thoughts on aliens being futuristic is this:

A wookie is not a futuristic unit, it is a humanoid cross between a bear and a caveman. It is more like a Sasquatch or some other medieval creep than anything really futuristic.

A wookie with a grenade belt, laser bowcaster, and other RFC stuff is a futuristic unit, just as a knight is not but a Terran marine is.

I don't really care what creative unit you do, as long as it looks like it is using technology beyond our grasp to come into being.

Edit -
@ Stanakin Skywalker - is that the priestess of the moon? I like the tubes coming out of the face, you've really created the illusion that they are poking out pretty well :)

@ Dentothor - The armor/clothing style looks pretty good so far, looks like a satyr gone to the dark side >:D

@ Hiruty - can't really see what you've changed or what direction you are going in :(

@ Revolve - The chain-saw is coming along pretty well, that looks like a good model choice to :)

Level 15
Second WIP :d
It' turning out pretty nice IMO, nothing compared to everyone else in this contest, but one of the best I've made :)
Still I got alot to work on. No idea what to do about bracers, and I would like to keep the pants as they are but is that allowed?

PS. His lower Jaw is supposed to be Tech-thingy, like a powerjaw. And theres in NO CnP, recolor whatsoever, just freehand :d

Attachments

• SpaceBM1.jpg
    SpaceBM1.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 195
Level 15
he has a german glag on his chainsaw.. lol.

Lol :D

Edit: Noone else has WIPs to provide? ^^

Edit2: Well then I'll show mine.... This might be the final version, depends on what cha think ^^
I am personally very proud of it :$ Remade 100% of it, no CnP/Recolor whatsoever.
I call it: The Close-Combat Guerilla Veteran

Attachments

• SpaceBM3.jpg
    SpaceBM3.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 151
  • SpaceBM4.jpg
    SpaceBM4.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 142
  • SpaceBM5.jpg
    SpaceBM5.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 119
Lol :D

Edit: Noone else has WIPs to provide? ^^

Edit2: Well then I'll show mine.... This might be the final version, depends on what cha think ^^
I am personally very proud of it :$ Remade 100% of it, no CnP/Recolor whatsoever.
I call it: The Close-Combat Guerilla Veteran

a final already? :O

it really doesn't look that futuristic. and i agree with debode. it is ok but it needs more shading and stuff. the blade is rape.

Status
Not open for further replies.