• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Voting for Texturing Competition #7

What skin is your favorite?

• MadseN's Temple Knight?

Votes: 9 11.8%
  • ike_ike's Holy Warden?

Votes: 10 13.2%
  • Dionesiist's Archon?

Votes: 15 19.7%
  • Darkholme's Judge?

Votes: 34 44.7%
  • markone's Keeper of the Crusade?

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Technomancer's Angel?

Votes: 5 6.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 18
Vote for ya favs!

MadseN's Temple Knight
attachment.php

ike_ike's Holy Warden
attachment.php

Dio's Archon
attachment.php

Darkholme's Judge
attachment.php

markone's Keeper of the Crusade
attachment.php

Technomancer's Angel
attachment.php

Last edited:
Level 18
AR's Blood Knight, I sadly had to remove because of all the bitching and whining(anyone who mentions it now will be removed from the votes if you say ANYTHING) and his egyptian priestess skin on the demoness he never finished...:( sad face

Level 18
Ike Ike, yes you did you damn little liar
I looked at the change date on your post with the skin, which was the 17th
The contest ENDED on the 12th
You HAVE modified the skin, therefore I SHOULD disqualify you
But I won't, and damnit if you try to fight with me, there will be no skin for you in this contest

Level 17
ya sorry I couldn't finish, but it was Dominance War period and I was busy slacking off :(.
I'll go for the judge on this one, because it's the best looking out of all imo (even though it's pink).

It's not pink. It's blue, with a slight tint of purple. . .

I didn't touch the Warden :(

Darkholme's Judge and the Archon are really the best of the bunch. But the mecha face of the judge was awesome, considering it was done with a mouse. Darkholme, I salute you!

Thanks. It took forever with the damn polygonal lasso tools. I really need a tablet.

I did the egocentric thing and voted for myself. I would have voted for TDRs if he had finished it. (that eredar was wicked cool), and Dios had issues I believe are no fault of his own (I don't think its possible to use illidans model with eyes and have it turn out well - but his is the best attempt I've seen and I commend him), and the others kindof lacked detail or shading (though are still pretty good and would be better with some touchups).

If I can't vote for myself someone can switch my vote to dio.

Level 17
Ike Ike, yes you did you damn little liar
I looked at the change date on your post with the skin, which was the 17th
The contest ENDED on the 12th
You HAVE modified the skin, therefore I SHOULD disqualify you
But I won't, and damnit if you try to fight with me, there will be no skin for you in this contest

I edited on MARCH 17... the contest ended on APRIL 12 >_>

17/3!

O.O

ike is right. it was edited mar 17, not apr. . . You can practically cut the tension like butter.

Level 4
I'm going with Darkholme's Judge. It seems to be the most refined of the bunch, in texture quality and presentation. I can definately see it being used ingame. The rest of the skins are of nice quality and show quite a bit of individuality so even though I don't see them as the winner I still think they will find their places inside of a map.

A.R.

Skin Reviewer
Level 25
Man, this one was a tough call, but I ended up voting for Dio's Archon.

My impressions and some food for thought for anyone else:

I haven't seen a lot of MadseN's skins, but i know he's an INSANELY good terrainer, so its great to see him expanding into texturing

ike_ike's warden skin has come a long way from where it started, which i think deserves special mention. its also a great improvement on his previous textures, which means that this is the start of a great path for him.

Dio's Archon has its pros and cons but overall the style is good. I am particularly impressed by the hair wrap, knowing from experience how tricky it is. I'd definitely like to see the touchups on this one finished.

Darkholme's Judge is by far the most finished work. Its a unique idea, well executed and uses the wrap excellently. Also, its presented well, for whatever that counts

markone's is excellently wrapped and detailed, just seems to need something more... not sure what, maybe some colour variation.

technomancer's angel is nice, the detail is good and it fits the theme well. it could use some more highlights and shadows to define bits though. The feathers are very good.

All in all, i'd like to congratulate everyone who got theirs finished, these are some good works.

and yar, i could see my Seraphim wasn't really going anywhere and i got too busy with other stuff to finish her :p

Level 17
I intentionally avoided ranking them to not be rude. but if other people are doing it, what the hell. I'll avoid talking about my own skin for common courtesy, and just rank the othe skins submitted.

Out of the other skins I would rank them like this:
1.Dio's Archon: Easily the best out of the competition. The golden arms look pretty cool. Though its original it has some flaws.
- The wings lack shading, and the feathers don't really look like feathers. They're feather shaped, but lack featherlike details.
- The horns are a recolor of illidan's already ugly horns.
- The handguards are a CnP from The Paladin
- The hair really lacks definition, and looks like a blob
- The face is scrunchy, and he looks like he has down syndrome.

2.Technomancer's angel: The next best. It has better hair, and an original, if kindof bland handguard. The horns aren't just a recolor.
- crappy shading, which is almost nonexistant in places
- the face has little definition
- torso & ear are just recolors from illidan.

3. IkeIke's Warden: It is a really cool Idea, with some cool colored sections, however
- Many areas are very very blurry.
- The detail on the gold inlay looks orange, and doesn't look like a gold inlay.
- again with the blob hair
- The spine of hte wings looks absolutely horrendous.
Nifty idea, but it comes across as a preliminary skin without the details finished.

4. Madsen's Temple Knight: Could have been a nifty idea if executed better
- Robes on the horse and knight don't look realistic, look like white blobs with grey blurs which were intended to be wrinkles and shading but didn't turn out.
- Not nearly enough actual shading.

5. Markone's Keeper of the Crusade: Could have been done better, though turning grom into a human would take some doing to look 'right'
- Needs more shading and details, particularly in the skin area, and needs some color variation.
- Armor is bland and undetailed.
- The fangs should have been alpha'ed out.
- The mouth looks very clown like
- The eyes are an unusual shape and both look in opposite directions.
- hair needs more contrast
- face needs to look more like a face, as it doesn't have the shadingthat show the shape of the face, or doesn't have nearly enough of it.

feel free to criticize mine the same way, and don't just complain about my color choice and your inability to distinguish blue from pink. Even if I had chosen pink that would not really matter.

Level 34
Technomancer's Angel is a lot better than Dio's imo. Quite a bit better.

I would vote markone and dark for first (both are good), then tech.

Level 10
I'm voting for Dio's Archon, because it's my favourite in the competition out of all of them, my own included.

I would like to point out to Darkholme, the torso and ear are not recoloured. Everything on my skin was freehanded with a tablet, although I can be held guilty of following some of the base lines :D

EDIT: I suppose the hand guard and the blade aren't technically freehanded with mah tablet, if you want to split hairs. However they were done with my mouse (and the handy dandy polygonal lasso tool) for the skin. And everything else was also done specifically for this skin.

Last edited:
Level 17
I'm voting for Dio's Archon, because it's my favourite in the competition out of all of them, my own included.

I would like to point out to Darkholme, the torso and ear are not recoloured. Everything on my skin was freehanded with a tablet, although I can be held guilty of following some of the base lines :D

EDIT: I suppose the hand guard and the blade aren't technically freehanded with mah tablet, if you want to split hairs. However they were done with my mouse (and the handy dandy polygonal lasso tool) for the skin. And everything else was also done specifically for this skin.

ok. my bad on the recolor. there are some issues with the illidan skin, but you can still do some awesome things with it. im in the middle of one now. Illidan Stormrage

Last edited:
Level 9
wow, i didnt saw that this voteing is on.

well i know that my skin isnt perfect, all those pointless-fighting made me not interested to do skin for contest, i just made whatever i had at that point and submited. fact is that i've learn a lot on that skin, like using just brush to make skin, no smudge (thx tdr, he opened my eyes)... i draw every pixel on that picture. btw fangs couldnt be alpha-ed. i've said that many times, but still i see that some people take that as my bad. whatever.

too sad that Archimond wasnt finished, it was pwning all other skins...

regards
Markone

Level 21
Here's my critique

MadseN's Temple Knight
There really is almost no depth to this texture, and the unwrap is a huge mess, beginning texturers seem to make their unwraps, somehow, look like that a lot. Also, avoid those filters

ike_ike's Holy Warden
I'm just not liking this texture. The thick, unshaded orange lines look awful because they have barely any shading. It just doesn't look that good overall

Dio's Archon
It's ok, but the arm looks heavily contrasted. I like the feathers, but they didn't really turn out as planned on the wrap
The face is OK, hair looks like it could use a little more work, and did you cnp that lion face? Don't do that

Darkholme's Judge
It's nice and clean, and the face looks good. I like the team color on the clothe, not sure if that was already there or not. The hair, if that's what it is, looks a bit out of place

markone's Keeper of the Crusade
The legs look ok, the front body looks decent, but the back seems half-finished. The face is so-so. The beard and mustache don't look right, and they look fake, like the dude glued it onto his face or something

Technomancer's Angel
Overall, it's pretty flat. The shading is scratchy and it looks like you did it all with a 1 pixel brush. Use something big. Face texture looks very odd in the portrait. This could have ended up nice if it had some good shading

Level 17
Darkholme's Judge
It's nice and clean, and the face looks good. I like the team color on the clothe, not sure if that was already there or not. The hair, if that's what it is, looks a bit out of place

There as already some teamcolor before, but I made it more evident, and made it more detailed.
I agree, the hair does look a bit out of place. I tried putting like 8 ot 9 different things there, and unfortunately all of them looked out of place.

I just thought of something that looked pretty good and I can't believe I never thought of it during the comp. I can't believe I never thought to just alpha out that piece entirely. as long as I keep the headress it looks good with the rest alpha-ed out. After the comp, or whenever I release it, that's what I'll be doing.

Level 6
They were all a little funny, I got my choice between the angel and the judge which I finally decided the angel. The main reason for this is the wierd looking thing on the judges skirt/dresss 6thiing and I'm not sure how hard this effect is to achieve but the angel's blade is like, hollow in the middle.

Anyway I still think you need to clean the face up a little bit Mr.Mancer.

Level 17
The 'hollow' bit in the blade is really easy to achieve. what do you mean thing in the middle of the robe thing? The gem at the bottom? if that's what you meant, this is a skinning contest not modeling, for me to remove it it would mean having a big square shaped hole instead. If you mean the thingy behind his back, that can't be removed either.

Status
Not open for further replies.