• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Texturing Contest 13 Voting

Vote for your favorite skin!

• A.R.'s Sea Screamer?

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Pins' Naga Abyss Fiend?

Votes: 18 20.7%
  • Denu's Nazjatar Leviathan?

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • FrIkY's Naga Slave Master?

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • Xatoga's ArachNaga?

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Dionesiist's Naga Marauder?

Votes: 11 12.6%
  • 67Chrome's Naga Predator?

Votes: 15 17.2%
  • bananaHUNT's Naga Stalker?

Votes: 4 4.6%
  • Pyramidhe@d's Naga Shredder?

Votes: 13 14.9%
  • Technomancer's Naga Behemoth?

Votes: 4 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 18
Ok, the poll votes will have to do, I assume everyone is fine with that...everyone is now..ANYWAYS

So by the polls...*drumroll please*

1st Place goes to Pins
2nd goes to 67Chrome
And 3rd place goes to Pyramidhe@d

Thanks everyone who participated, we will have the next contest up very shortly!

Ok, the poll votes will have to do, I assume everyone is fine with that...everyone is now..ANYWAYS

So by the polls...*drumroll please*

1st Place goes to Pins
2nd goes to 67Chrome
And 3rd place goes to Pyramidhe@d

Thanks everyone who participated, we will have the next contest up very shortly!

Oi, I was getting around to it

AR - 46 + ((5/89)*50) = 48.8089888
Dio - 47 + ((11/89)*50) = 53.1797753
Xatoga - 38 + ((3/89)*50) = 39.6853933
67chrome - 50 + ((17/89)*50) = 59.5505618
bananahunt - 44 + ((4/89)*50) = 46.247191
denu - 48 + ((7/89)*50) = 51.9325843
pyhe@d - 43 + ((13/89)*50) = 50.3033708
pins - 45 + ((18/89)*50) = 55.1123596
friky - 45 + ((7/89)*50) = 48.9325843
technomancer - 47 + ((4/89)*50) = 49.247191

Adjudicating time!

How it works: I imported all the skins, and dumped them on the Sunken Ruins terrain,
as per the Naga theme. I also dumped a bunch of the standard Naga units (i.e. a Royal
Guard, a Siren, a Couatl and a Snap Dragon) next to each skin for comparison. All of
the skins in this comp were good, only some were more good than others >_>

Note: The models were viewed at their default size. Remember, these skins were made
to be used, not stared at on a model scaled ten times its size. Most of you had
nothing to worry about, anyway.

Note 2: Judging this was a bloody nightmare. There weren't really any major screwups
in any of the skins, so quite a lot of this may be purely my opinion. Sorry 'bout
that guys.

A.R. - Lovely use of alpha on the cloak :) Follows Blizzard style very nicely, fits
in perfectly with other naga. Colours are great. The TC sigils are great as well ...
mmm, serpentine. A thing I noticed here, though, as was the case with almost all the
other skins, was turning every flat surface into a fin. (I did this as well ... kek.)

Perhaps some manner of arcane scroll or a scaly section as opposed to giant orangey
flapping things. But meh, it was still great. Especially from the game camera.

STUPID NOTE: The animations do weird things with the hair ._.

46/50

Dionesiist - Ah, originality. Horribly inventive model choice here. The chest (and
the rider's scales in general) didn't quite turn out from game view, but close up is
awesome. THe teeth on his mutant murloc (?) mount look AWESOME. The variety of
colours used are also win. Using the mohawk was a good idea too. A shame that the
scales on the rider didn't really work out though. The area where he joins on is a
bit stretched out too D: However, it was VERY creative, and the mount looks great
from every angle.

47/50

Xatoga - Erm. Have to say, I'm a bit confused about this one. Although I suppose a
lobster isn't toooo much of a stretch, I don't think it's really very Naga. Concept
wise, it's basically just a reddish arachnid with golden armour. I think
incorporating some more distinctly Naga-ish touches would have helped. Not just the
generic 'haz flat surface maek finz', but possibly some of those serpentine runes
like A.R. used. An additional layer of highlights (or two) would have helped a lot
too, to give it that glistening, just outta the water look. In game, it just looked
rather dull compared to them vibrant Naga with their massively saturated cyan skin
'n' scales. It's not horrible, but it's not too great.

38/50

67chrome - This. Is. Freaking. Awesome. You didn't even use the plain ol' Naga teal
and greeny yellow colour scheme, you incorporated that lovely purple. Great use of
team colour. The rider was badass too, considering the shape of the model beneath.
Scales are still quite noticeable from ingame, and it really does look quite a lot
like the Couatl. Great job. Weren't any noticeable flaws at all, really.

(also, the filesize is ridiculous. Really)

50/50

bananaHUNT - Arglarg, a nagalisk! The scales turned out well, but on the whole the
model shape isn't really too Naga (strange, considering their legs and all, but I
digress). Back on topic: Nice use of alpha on the back, 'though there is a rather
nasty expanse of plain teal right behind the fins :/. The alpha on the fins was kinda
meh, but the skin still looks pretty cool. The belly area could have done with more
highlights and more blended shadows though.

44/50

Denu - Oh, my gawwwd. Fantastic. I know the wrap makes the fins really repetetive,
but even then, the appearance is great. The wings and them delicate vein things are
epic. An awesome centrepiece for any Naga army. Only perhaps you could introduce a
few more colours into the scales? Maybe some veeeeeery low opacity greens? Pleeease?
It IS rather repetetive, though, so that clipped a few marks off ... I'm rather
surprised at how few votes this got though. But as said before, rather repetitive. I
know the spine is repeated and all that, but it's just a bit blargh. The scales are
quite defined, nice.

48/50

Pyramidhe@d - Your first skin, you say? Compared to other first skins, is epically
win. I must say, though, you and Pins have a really unorthodox way of doing scales.
They kinda look more like octopi suckers than scales from the game camera. The colour
scheme was pretty generic, but adding that little Naga armour to the tail was a nice
touch. A few more armour trinkets like that would have made the whole thing turn out
better, I think. Adding the stripes made the skin more cohesive, methinks. The scales
didn't really work out too well for WC3 though. Compared with the Naga, the style
doesn't really fit. Looks great on the unwrap, but ingame the scales are kinda bleh.

43/50

Pins - Well, it's certainly the biggest departure in style from any of the other
skins here. Completely clashes with the Warcraft naga, and to be honest, I didn't
really like ittttt. But after a little inspection, it really is good, just not very
War3 style. Um. Scales coulda used a bit more contrast, 'cause it looks really smooth
from the game cam right now. As with Pyra's, it looks fantastic on the unwrap, but
wrapped up at normal distance the details just get swallowed up. The slimeyness is
nais. But as before, you needed rather more contrast on the scales for them to turn
up.

45/50

FrIkY - Moo. The scales look pretty awesome on this one. Can't say I'm particularly
fond of the wings or his little collar though :/ I know the theme was Naga, but that
doesn't necessitate fins everywhere, and the wings kinda dominate the whole thing.
The armoured sections are quite cool, although maybe a little more delineation
between the plates would have been nice, and another layer of highlights. The
pristine white claws are kinda bleh with the Naga (GOLD CLAWS! GOLD I SEZ!), but on
the whole this is pretty cool. The face is awesome.

45/50

Technomancer - This thing is hysterical. Not in a bad way, either. Although I was
quite pissed at how annoying 'twas to import, it was actually quite a bit better than
I initially though. I thought it was going to be a static piece of ... crap, to be
blunt, but it's like a flying pufferfish scorpion =3. I LOVE the way it has those
little claws crowding around the centre, the tail is nicely done and overall is
surprisingly menacing. My only real qualm about it is how pale it is.If you'd
darkened the whole thing overall and maybe splashed in some deeper green-blues, it
would be on a whole new level. But overall, awesome!

47/50

1st - 67chrome
2nd - Pins
3rd - Dionesiist, yet again

Congrats everyone!

Level 34
I'm curious as to why his first places don't show under his avatar? Shouldn't it show your best, not the third and second places?

Level 38
I'd be fine with 46 :D

Edit - is that the final judgment for this contest? If so when will I get the + rep and Icon? If not is someone else going to Judge? How long are we going to wait before we start the next texturing contest? How long do contests usually take to be finished? Because I'm ready for this contest to be over, though if contests usually take 3 months to conclude I want to be sure who won, especially with the contest being so close.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.