• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Music Contest #13 - Poll

Choose your favorite (Max. 2)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 16
thread_hive_logo-png.323627

ct_music-png.311597
contest-png.311487
p_hash-png.311483
1-png.311474
3-png.311476

thread_poll-png.311518

yin-yang-svg-58f16cd4ed967364451983d6.png

Yin & Yang
The music piece must in some way create diametrically opposed (as-different-as-possible) soundscapes, either through dynamics, or through thematic difference, or some other creative ways one can think of. For example, one part of the song can be decidedly sad sounding, while the other one is decidedly happy sounding, or you can switch them up inside the verses all the time through modulations, or you can create a calm and beautiful atmosphere just to add some face melting synths or metal afterwards, completely throwing expected dynamics off.

other_rules_and_conditions-png.311513

• Trying to manipulate the poll in any form is not allowed.
    If you're aware of ip-sharing with any voter, for any reason, you should contact the staff.
  • Harassment towards others to influence the result will lead to punishment.
    A neutral recommendation to take part at the poll isn't problematic, though.
  • Voting for yourself is not allowed, and will lead to a malus by 5%.
  • Participating in the poll does not explicitly safe one from being disqualified.
  • Judges are not allowed to vote.
You are very welcome to make a short statement what you like the most, so contestants get a bit of public feedback!
other_prizes-png.311512

• 1st place: 45 reputation points
  • 2nd place: 30 reputation points
  • 3rd place: 15 reputation points
  • Entry: 5 reputation points
  • Judge: 5 reputation points
The three winning teams will receive an award icon, representing the winning entry.​
other_judges-png.311510

• Pyrogasm
  • enzo2090
other_entries-png.311509

Name(s)Entry
Jackky.BaDit02Click
AditTechnoClick
GhostOfPastClick
deepstraszClick
HakrenClick
TridinarClick
BrambleclawClick
JetFangInfernoClick

other_contest_judging-png.311506

Theme
How well does it demonstrate the feeling of the theme?/15

Creativity/Originality
How original is the piece? How creative are you with the theme/instruments/etc./10

Production
Basically, how well does it flow? Are accents used to good effect? Do overall levels make sense? etc./10

Composition
How well is it composed? Do the key changes make sense?/15

/50

• Judgement: 80%
  • Poll: 20%
FinalScore = (20*Reached_Votes/POSSIBLE_VOTES) + (80*JudgeScore/100)

other_dates_and_deadline-png.311507

The poll shall begin on 22 February 2020 and conclude on 8 March 2020 GMT (day is included).

Contest | Results

Last edited:
Level 17
My submission wasn't added before the page closed prior to the official end time of 11:59 GMT, so I'm adding my link here:
The Skies Beyond _ FinalSubmission.mp3

Sounds like a real orchestra playing :O

Also that opening was so cheesy it reminded me of Wonderful 101

I'll be suprised if you don't get 1st with this. Its amazing ^__^.

Please do an Orchestral score for this!

Last edited:
Level 16
My vote goes to GhostOfPast. Very aggressive sounding in the chorus yet I think the chorus should be repeated just once because I keep losing my attention as it gets there. The first chorus has the anticipation yet the second chorus doesn't have and it sounds just like the first chorus (so it's like, it's super engaging only once but won't even engage anymore if it's repeated). The ending is good, though, not much going on here and there, for the theme, I suppose.

The rhythm guitar in the chorus sounds kind of cramped like being overlapped by the other sounds, or maybe it's intended.

Apart from my own song, I always play this song whenever I get the chance because it sounds very good.

I vote for the song that I repeat the most in my audio player (except mine), and Ring of Fire is my choice.

My vote goes to GhostOfPast. Very aggressive sounding in the chorus yet I think the chorus should be repeated just once because I keep losing my attention as it gets there. The first chorus has the anticipation yet the second chorus doesn't have and it sounds just like the first chorus (so it's like, it's super engaging only once but won't even engage anymore if it's repeated). The ending is good, though, not much going on here and there, for the theme, I suppose.

The rhythm guitar in the chorus sounds kind of cramped like being overlapped by the other sounds, or maybe it's intended.

Apart from my own song, I always play this song whenever I get the chance because it sounds very good.

I vote for the song that I repeat the most in my audio player (except mine), and Ring of Fire is my choice.

I excel at composing, yet mastering is still a challenge for me.:peasant-confused: That's my rematch since the last three contests (Retro, Synthwave and Cinematic) thehehe :ogre_rage: ( :ogre_hurrhurr: )

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Not sure it's a good idea to have voting open just for one week. I understand it's music and not maps but still, to listen, if not properly, at least, to all entries some time is required and people usually stumble upon these polls which gives voting even less chance.

Also, is somebody doing the music video compilation?

Level 9
''Submissions may not be started / made before the official launch of the contest'' as says in the Rules and Conditions here: Music Contest #13 - Yin & Yang

@Lord_Marrowgrath From your instagram post,it seems you made your track before the contest started as says in the date of your post Sercan Ozyurt on Instagram: “Adımını attığım bu ambiance tarzında ki parçaların ikinci prototipi. Daha çok amatörce daha da geliştirmek için uğraşıyorum. Melodinin…” ,maybe im wrong though,i've never used instagram so i might be mistaken.

So your entry would have been removed anyway.

Level 18
"The Skies Beyond" very pro made, deserves 1st place in my opinion, track like from Hollywood movie
very like "light and dark" (but from 1:30 where drums starts) ;)
"The guys next door" change of pace and chillout-like atmosphere captivated me
"Virtual Fantasy" great theme (bass in the second part a little too screeching) but otherwise great composition, perfectly fits the contest theme.
Wish I can vote for more then two ;)
Congrats all!

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Nobody:

deepstrasz:

@AditTechno's To Even Odds - one could sense the opposites in the FX coming and going (either through panning or volume in and out), tempo change. There's not much room for low and high pitch instruments, likewise with the frequencies as the overall sounding is pretty soft. The buildup is pretty long and quite one tonal. Structurally it seems to be made of three parts which are well connected but the key changes aren't that varied. Solos are always welcome as they draw the attention off the repetitiveness. Some of the leads seem too loud.

@Brambleclaw's Virtual Fantasy - even if the piano and cello sound well together, they are basically playing the same thing most of the time. The yin-yang can be heard in the low and high tones, notes going from one part of a scale to another. The creativity her lies in the fact that the melody isn't just mellow and gets the listener to a percussive part which also aids in fitting the composition to the theme. In the second part the piano seems a bit louder than before. Likewise in the first and last (recurring) parts, the violin is tad screechy. So, it has two parts of which the first is coming back at the end adding another point to the theme. Maybe the pieces could have been better connected.

@GhostOfPast's Ring of Fire - although the voice work is truly creative it suffers from some sound equalization issues as well as some parts being dissonant. Transitions between parts seem wee abrupt. There's low and high tonality difference, rhythm variation.

@Hakren's The guys next door - the key and rhythm changes are sweet even though the first and third changes/breaks are tad sudden. One of the theme points is the fact that there is genre variation (from blues-funk, to jazzy-funk all in some 70-80s style). One thing that breaks immersion is the bridge voice piece which doesn't help the composition. Sure, it worked for Donut78 because the vocal fragments were part of a story and were properly fitted to the composition even if they were a bit excessive. A solo would have worked wonders instead.

@Jackyy.BaDitO2's final_fate - the immediate impression is that it's more a Warcraft II remake than a composition aimed for this contest's theme. Also, the classical Baroque can be heard which lows the creativity since composing something truly original in that movement, not reminiscing of something particular, is very hard. There are some minor to major key changes. Generally well made. A bit of cut at the end.

@JetFangInferno's The Skies Beyond - wonderfully orchestrated and structured. It's a miracle you composed that in such a short time after joining. The obvious is that it sounds like many American movie soundtracks. There's movement going on, mostly all tonalities, scale ascent and descent, panning. The change from majors to minors comes in the middle but it's pretty short lived as soon after the return to majors happens right in that part before returning to the main melodic line. Well, that bridge part appears again in the end.

@Tridinar's Every Darkness Has A Light - as with The Skies Beyond, the antagonism is not necessarily between minors and majors but between happier and melancholic melodic parts. Has some familiar fragments. Well connected, volume balance seems OK.

While I listened to these 4 or more times, I'm not yet ready to vote, mostly because there are many tracks and only two choices. I'm having favourites but there are also those which seem more fit to theme to me than the others. On top of that, creativity/originality is something that I also consider.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.