• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Music Contest #6 - Poll

Who has the best vibe?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
the%20hive%20workshop.png

music.png
contest.png
number.png
6.png

poll.png

postapocalypsewebsite-jpg.258823

Apocalyptic
Create a music piece which will express the destruction the apocalypse has caused, how empty a person can feel, left alone, lost many friends and family members etc. The only thing to do is to survive. Your piece can also depict an apocalyptic world where no survivors exist.

Welcome to the poll for Music Contest #6 - Apocalyptic! Please read through the rules before voting!

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

• Each user can only vote once in the poll.
  • You cannot vote for yourself. If a voter has the same IP as the author then the vote will not be counted and it may result in the disqualification of the entry.
  • You cannot create multiple accounts to vote for an entry in the poll. If a voter has been found to be using multiple accounts none of the voters votes will count in the final result.
  • You cannot bribe users for votes. Contestants who break this rule will be disqualified and given negative reputation.
prizes.png

• First Place: 40 reputation points an award icon
  • Second Place: 25 reputation points and an award icon
  • Third Place: 15 reputation points and an award icon

• 5 reputation points for each contestant and judge

entries.png

deepstrasz kindly provided a YouTube video containing the entries for ease of listening to them and making voting easier.

judges.png

contest%20judging%20and%20voting.png

Theme
How well does it demonstrate the feeling of the theme
/15

Creativity/Originality

How original is the piece? How creative are you with the theme/instruments/etc.

/10

Dynamic/Tonation

Basically, how well does it flow? Are accents used to good effect? Do overall levels make sense? etc.

/10

Composition

How well is it composed? Do the key changes make sense?

/15

• 75 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s)
  • 25 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll

disclaimer.png

Inviting your friends to vote for you, bribing random members with rep and otherwise cheating with the VB poll system will get you DISQUALIFIED, BANNED from future contests, -REPPED, and possibly INFRACTED. So don't do it!

This includes, but is not limited to, sending PMs out to various users, getting other people to send those PMs, advertising this contest on other sites with the intention to gain more votes (whether it is explicitly stated or not), and so on. If you are suspected of cheating, the staff will notify you and interrogate you (hopefully) over PMs. <3​

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Are we not to consider @DED1's last WiP a final entry as he wrote it's a full length song?
His last post: Music Contest #6 - Apocalyptic
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh lookity!

Last edited by a moderator:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
@Brambleclaw - there are really interesting ideas therein. You usually have a weird style which makes it different from the majority of musical projects. However, like in the last contest, the prelude of the song is way too long. In your future themed composition, it at least progressed while in this contest's theme it feels repetitive and does not feel like leading to something too soon (I was like, how much of this is there?). I'd have shortened the intro and have put more emphasis on the transition to the piano part. My favourite part is that which reminds of some oriental vibe. The ending is good too with percussion, stops ultimately fading with raven caws.

@deafir - it's obvious that the spice here is a real instrument being heard. The idea was well orchestrated and comes with the feelings it should: nostalgia, calmness and whatnot. But, the vibe is kept for all its length. The good side is that the song isn't too long and of course the guitar tweaks. Original take on the theme compared to the others which went more on with an expected aggressive/dramatic side.

@DESTROYER123 - to me it sounds more like a funeral song. It's one of those classical based compositions. It's well versed, it sounds good even though those are not real instruments.

@enzo2090 - a somewhat traileresque melody (the hits stopping the music when images are supposed to shift). I really like the intensity of the voices in the first part. It keeps a realistic tone to the theme. The last part though, it's not as dramatic or intensifying as the first as nothing really interesting is happening there.

@Naze - I really like how this is an orchestral fast moving piece (it could easily fit a cataclysmic event). Reminds me of some Japanese soundtracks. The duration of the song is quite short which leaves a bitter taste at the end as if not the listener isn't fully satisfied. Might be just me but the abrupt ending and continuation with a long note or more doesn't make it sound too good.

@NightStalker - this is a more action paced end of days soundtrack. Very appreciated is the real instrument both on clean and distorsion. The strings don't sound digital at all if you immerse yourself. It's made of more parts, though very similar, the variations in both instruments and effects compensates for it. The problem is that the ending was rushed and hence it's repetitive and doesn't end in an epic way. I'd have taken out the first part of strings in the ending and left the second part and then added more stuff over everything building up to the final blow.

@PrinceYaser - this song just reminds of others and sincerely doesn't fit the theme. It's too romantic, well composed and all, but just doesn't cut it.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

My vote goes to @NightStalker even though I am annoyed by his song's ending.
Second would be @deafir (same vibe), third @enzo2090 (cliche), 4th @Naze (short), 5th @Brambleclaw (long prelude), sixth @DESTROYER123 (crying) and the last @PrinceYaser (romance).
Of course, it's a hard choice and the balance can break shifting from a side to the other.

Level 17
Had no troubling in voting for Nightstalker. Holy shit that drop into the guitar xD

Also the Starcraft vibes afterwards.

Also princeyaser's piece was pretty notable. Made me think of Iamlegend, basically the story of his life. Just so sad :(

Level 19
@Brambleclaw - there are really interesting ideas therein. You usually have a weird style which makes it different from the majority of musical projects. However, like in the last contest, the prelude of the song is way too long. In your future themed composition, it at least progressed while in this contest's theme it feels repetitive and does not feel like leading to something too soon (I was like, how much of this is there?). I'd have shortened the intro and have put more emphasis on the transition to the piano part. My favourite part is that which reminds of some oriental vibe. The ending is good too with percussion, stops ultimately fading with raven caws.

@deafir - it's obvious that the spice here is a real instrument being heard. The idea was well orchestrated and comes with the feelings it should: nostalgia, calmness and whatnot. But, the vibe is kept for all its length. The good side is that the song isn't too long and of course the guitar tweaks. Original take on the theme compared to the others which went more on with an expected aggressive/dramatic side.

@DESTROYER123 - to me it sounds more like a funeral song. It's one of those classical based compositions. It's well versed, it sounds good even though those are not real instruments.

@enzo2090 - a somewhat traileresque melody (the hits stopping the music when images are supposed to shift). I really like the intensity of the voices in the first part. It keeps a realistic tone to the theme. The last part though, it's not as dramatic or intensifying as the first as nothing really interesting is happening there.

@Naze - I really like how this is an orchestral fast moving piece (it could easily fit a cataclysmic event). Reminds me of some Japanese soundtracks. The duration of the song is quite short which leaves a bitter taste at the end as if not the listener isn't fully satisfied. Might be just me but the abrupt ending and continuation with a long note or more doesn't make it sound too good.

@NightStalker - this is a more action paced end of days soundtrack. Very appreciated is the real instrument both on clean and distorsion. The strings don't sound digital at all if you immerse yourself. It's made of more parts, though very similar, the variations in both instruments and effects compensates for it. The problem is that the ending was rushed and hence it's repetitive and doesn't end in an epic way. I'd have taken out the first part of strings in the ending and left the second part and then added more stuff over everything building up to the final blow.

@PrinceYaser - this song just reminds of others and sincerely doesn't fit the theme. It's too romantic, well composed and all, but just doesn't cut it.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

My vote goes to @NightStalker even though I am annoyed by his song's ending.
Second would be @deafir (same vibe), third @enzo2090 (cliche), 4th @Naze (short), 5th @Brambleclaw (long prelude), sixth @DESTROYER123 (crying) and the last @PrinceYaser (romance).
Of course, it's a hard choice and the balance can break shifting from a side to the other.

Nice feedback man, I love reading these even the ones that are not mine, it's good to hear someone else's thoughts in detail. I will write one like this if I can find time :p

For my feedback, all I can say for the negative side is true tbh. I rushed to finish it, I had some good thoughts about the ending parts of the song but I couldn't find time to experiment with my ideas and I still don't have some libraries yet, which I'll use for my upcoming music hehe :p

Had no troubling in voting for Nightstalker. Holy shit that drop into the guitar xD

Also the Starcraft vibes afterwards.

And thanks man, Can you tell me which starcraft soundtrack it is you got the vibe of? Kinda curious as always :p

Level 21
Brambleclaw - Apocalypse Hive
Well used instruments, yet somehow transitions seem rather abrupt (perhaps on purpose so). Also a little convoluted due to many different tones and instruments. Sole string picking into deep piano into oriental jam back to violin melody into drums. I'd say it overall feels more like a medley than coherent music piece. So for a show off - nicely done.

deafir - Post Apocalyptic Conversation
Hmmmm this seems too playful and bright in tone for an apocalyptic feeling, if you ask me. On the other hand, it has a certain saddening vibe to it and is undoubtedly well made.

deepstrasz - Visions in Patmos
10 minutes?? you gotta be kidding. Classical choir, always works and then transitions into (2:37) what on earth xD... - the definition of trippy i suppose. It even becomes weirder and makes it hard to keep listening. Props for creativity (reminds me of aphex twin). It's stretching the definition of what can still be called music. Highly creative and experimental, but less poignant, again nice show off.

Destroyer123 - ApocalypseX
Very classical and well made, are you sure it's not directly coming from a 90s game or soundtrack? Old Warhammer titles like shadow of the horned rat or so. Pretty surprised by to the quality. Then again, maybe i am blinded by its somewhat simplistic approach. Nah, this is really well made and straight to the bone, somehow i am missing something refreshing/surprising, sadly.

enzo2090 - Rotten World
Great beginning, that's just pure downward-spiral atmosphere and darkness inducing. This actually could fit right into the Diablo series. And don't get me started on the angelic soprano chorus, pure goosebumps (needs to be longer!). Also very intuitive transitioning. Overall too short, want more of this!

Naze - Last Moon of Hope
Fortissimo this time. Quite chaotic and strange, again well made fading- and transitioningwise. It's probably just too short to really catch the ear.

Nightstalker - Not to be overwhelmed
Immediately reminds me of The walking dead/28 days/weeks later, just something that would play along with zombies. Drums are overdriven in the intro, just like the transitioning guitar - which actually helps to create a strengthening of the protagonist, i suppose. Really digging the structure here.

PrinceYaster - Saturated Calling
Sounds very east-asian, peppered with grief and yielding to memories of what once was/was not. This is solid. Is left-right balance off btw? Definitely sounds like it. Apart from that it's quite the beautiful tone, which is owed to that special kind of bright piano sound ^^. I think it ended too soon, still well done.

Skimming through all the entries before picking favorites:

1. enzo2090 - Rotten World
For the deviously beautiful beginning, the haunting inferno, the angelic chanting. I just want the soprano to be longer.
2. Nightstalker - Not to be overwhelmed
Well made and hard boiled. Just needs less overdrive and cleaner mixing, some parts have dirty treble peaks (2:00+).

Nice contest. No entries disliked here whatsoever - all in all pure quality.

So thank you, it was a pleasure to listen to your free art! That's really unheard of, it's definitely a rich community here.

edit: yet again i would've liked to vote for 2 contestants, why not make it possible!!!

Last edited:

Deleted member 247165

D

Deleted member 247165

Deafir's song, the beeeeest! Voted you man! :)

It is very hard to choose, but I finally choosed:
Edit: Well, my vote goes for @deepstrasz. I changed my vote after reviewing NightStalker's piece and deepstrasz' piece.

Oh, I cannot change my vote??
That's right. You cannot change your votes.

I find it fair since it demands people to b more responsible with tossing their choices around :]

That's right. You cannot change your votes.

I find it fair since it demands people to b more responsible with tossing their choices around :]
So bad!
First I voted for NightStalker, but I changed my mind after listening deepstrasz' song. So, I wanted to change my vote for him!

Level 21
@ those who voted for deepstrasz (not to sound negative or so), can you explain why you voted for his track? I am curious!

Deleted member 238226

D

Deleted member 238226

all entries are great. my vote goes for princeyaser. second would be destroyer123. my impression & my opinion to this entries
quite similliar to what A]mun said. good luck guys :3

Level 50
Huge poll gap. Is difference in quality that big as well?
25% of the result goes to public poll, way to much credit for voters who don't know much about music producing softwares or the norms of music making. Public vote can hardly be a relevant factor in deciding who made better music and the category of ''how well it fits theme'' shouldn't even exist if it is going to be judged upon as ''it kinda didn't feel too apocalyptic''. Creativity category is even worse, it is completely a matter of personal preference weather will contestant get high or low score. And if there is people qualified enough to judge music, the technical side should be much more appreciated in my opinion.

Level 30
Huge poll gap. Is difference in quality that big as well?
25% of the result goes to public poll, way to much credit for voters who don't know much about music producing softwares or the norms of music making. Public vote can hardly be a relevant factor in deciding who made better music and the category of ''how well it fits theme'' shouldn't even exist if it is going to be judged upon as ''it kinda didn't feel too apocalyptic''. Creativity category is even worse, it is completely a matter of personal preference weather will contestant get high or low score. And if there is people qualified enough to judge music, the technical side should be much more appreciated in my opinion.

I feel the categories are all equally important. They are also all corelated and open for interpretation.
In my reviews and judging, I replaced the category "Dynamics" with the more suitable "Production", by the way.

I study sound engineering and music production and I haven't been active on this site for 5 years. I'm basically only here to be a neutral and knowledgable judge.
As for the public polls, they have always been a bit biased, as far as I know, for any contest. It's a part of the formula to engage the community in the creativity of others, and is not necessarily a bad thing. Music has always had a social factor, and what's a better way for that to come in to play than letting the community have a say, if only partially?

See music is something that doesn't work if it is heavily segmented and limited and defined. Allowing it to be more mysterious than dividing it in 100% objective parameters, is what divides sound from art. That's what makes music come to life. It's no rocketscience and shouldn't be judged as such.

However, is this contest to be taken fully seriously? -> Nope.
Even big music contests are usually a joke. We're just trying to have a fun time and learn from eachother while engaging in some friendly competition.

Is there another Music contest that is planed?

It will happen in the following months if I get time. That or people get ideas and show interest for another one.

All comes down to timing, really. :]

Both judges have delivered their verdicts. Now, we just have to wait for the poll to close on Wednesday.

Level 9
What do you think about that guys ?

"Create a music piece with two main melodic themes, each one being related to a character of a fantasy/medieval universe. The two characters are rivals in this universe, and they are diametrically opposed by a given feature (good and evil, light and darkness, etc...)."

"Create a music piece with two main melodic themes, each one being related to a character of a fantasy/medieval universe. The two characters are rivals in this universe, and they are diametrically opposed by a given feature (good and evil, light and darkness, etc...)."

Hold on to your horses. We're not done with this contest yet!

You are free to suggest themes for a new one when we've wrapped up this contest however :]

Level 1
I gotta say, from all the songs, I liked more the one from NightStalker, it really gives the vibe of a apocaliptic action game, so he gained my vote. Still, all songs were good, PrinceYaser's song I found it really impressive, though it gaves more the sensation of melancholy, as if I was playing Final Fantasy and some important character died, that's my opinion.

Level 17

Code geass confirmed :D:D:D:D

Status
Not open for further replies.