• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modeling Contest #20 - Poll

Vote for the best entry!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well in my opinion this theme was kind of a failure =\. Knowing Born²Modificate's campaign screen (2007), I was expecting higher quality in these entries.

the theme wasnt a failure. people's inability to get shit done was the real failure here.

also
can we stick with what has been submitted and not what COULD have been submitted?

also
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...contest-1-poll-179321/index3.html#post1713874
this is why you cant judge.
not the quality of the judging itself(if you can call it that) but the reason behind why you posted it

Level 49
I did open it. Yes, they look nice, if a bit too fast. But it's nothing to difficult to create.
I'm not saying yours is worse than Born2Modificate's(unlike Rui).
Born2Modificate's one isn't terrible as you say it is, though. :p It's high-quality, looks very nice and seems to be hard to make. Not to mention it was made in 2007. :p

Level 31
It doesn't look hard to make at all. Nor does it look the slightest bit appealing. Atleast to me anyway. There is no mesh complexity of any sort, the wrap jobs are a joke, and the textures are all rather silly. Also, the year it was made is no excuse.

You know, instead of bitching about why our models suck, why don't you guys just make better models.
Oh....too late.

i_see_what_you_did_there_poster_p228060760404242422t5wm_400_Socks_with_sandals-s400x400-133580-535.jpg

this is why I suggested adding the 'Atmosphere' criterium in this contest... the quality of the campaign screen may not follow the criteria we use to qualify other models. but meh... I'm judging it normally anyways. the mechanics, effects and creativity have some of the atmosphere thing.

EDIT: anarchy posted before me, that dirty bastard.........

(my post isn't a response to his)

Level 26
Had no idea I had the authority to change the judging criteria. But, sorry anyways. D;

thats kind of the point of a host. anyway, you still could. the poll hasnt closed yet and if the judges dont mind. Because the more i think about it, the more sense it seems to make that 'atmosphere' would be the entire fucking point of a campaign screen.

hmmm... I'd do the following:
15 for the mesh
10 for the skin
10 for the anims

10 for the atmosphere (there's no real 'mechanics' on a CS model - ends up replacing both effects and mechanics, since there's just need for effects in a campaign screen if they cause a good atmosphere)
5 for creativity (still needed, entries should be creative apart from everything else)

and that's it, me thinks.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Wait...I'm confused. Is the one from wc3c that you linked supposed to be a decent campaign screen? From a modeler's perspective, it doesn't look like he did much. Basically, every object in that scene is incredibly low detail, and not easy to look at. Now add the lack of any decent texture or uvw work, and the extremely harsh wc3 shadowing, and you end up with what looks like it took him about 10 minutes.

Now, this is not to say its better than mine. Mine ofc took a relatively short time, and ended up looking rather retarded. But regardless, the one you linked is a generally low detail model with some terrible wrap jobs, horrid texture work, some awful uvw work (on some of the models), and some cheesy lighting that generates extremely harsh shadows.

I almost feel like making an exact replica with updated models and textures. Hurts my brain.
(...)
It doesn't look hard to make at all. Nor does it look the slightest bit appealing. Atleast to me anyway. There is no mesh complexity of any sort, the wrap jobs are a joke, and the textures are all rather silly. Also, the year it was made is no excuse.
And yet, despite all the <insert artistic talk here>, he managed to make a campaign screen that actually looks better.
And the year does matter, you'd expect people to have at least maintained the quality of campaign screen design.

Also, since when did wc3 have better models for campaign screens? Sillyness.
Yes, it did. Just load up a campaign, watch the campaign screen, and compare it to ordinary Warcraft III models. There's a difference and that's not up for discussion, I just don't know how to explain better than this.

Now, aside from all that, its probably not a good idea to come into a poll and say, "hey guys your models looks like shit, and this guy's model was better." And if you do, atleast pick a halfway decent model to do it with.

Oh well. To each his own I guess. I just don't see your thought process here. It just seems like a bit of a dick move to tell us we didn't do "good enough" AFTER we have finished (thus rendering any possibility of it being constructive lost), then to link us what is seemingly a rather low quality model and tell us its better.
Indeed, it is not.

.... *cough* whether or not its good doesnt really matter since it wasnt submitted as an entry for this contest. Can we ignore Rui's stupid passive aggressive insult and stay on topic for THIS contest?
No, it definitely does not matter for this contest. And no, we can ignore your stupid passive aggressive misunderstanding of my non-stupid non-passive non-aggressive critique.

Status
Not open for further replies.