• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modeling Contest #20 - Poll

Vote for the best entry!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 31
the%20hive%20workshop.png

modeling.png
contest.png
number.png
2.png
0.png

poll.png

1secur.jpgjpg

Contest Theme: Campaign screen

Contestants must create a campaign screen. A detailed cinematic animated model scene representative of a campaign

Welcome to the poll for Modeling Contest 20! Please read through the rules before voting!

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

• Each user can only vote once in the poll. (remove this for a multiple choice poll)
  • You cannot vote for yourself. If a voter has the same IP as the author then the vote will not be counted and it may result in the disqualification of the entry.
  • You cannot create multiple accounts to vote for an entry in the poll. If a voter has been found to be using multiple accounts none of the voters votes will count in the final result.
  • You cannot bribe users for votes. Contestants who break this rule will be disqualified and given negative reputation.
prizes.png

• First Place: 50 reputation points and your entry on an award icon
  • Second Place: 35 reputation points and an award icon
  • Third Place: 20 reputation points and an award icon

contest%20judging%20and%20voting.png

60 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
Score shall be taken out of 50 points,
-15 points for mesh (verticies and faces)
-10 points for animations (or how well Blizzard animations have been used)
-10 points for skin (or how well Blizzard skins have been used)
-10 points for atmosphere
-5 points for creativity
40 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.
Final Score = (Judge's Score)*0.6 + (votes/(total votes))*40 = (score)/100

entries.png

Anarchianbedlam

Shamanyouranus

Mr. Bob

judges.png
  • Red Shift
  • Happycockroach

disclaimer.png

Inviting your friends to vote for you, bribing random members with rep and otherwise cheating with the VB poll system will get you DISQUALIFIED, BANNED from future contests, -REPPED, and possibly INFRACTED. So don't do it!

This includes, but is not limited to, sending PMs out to various users, getting other people to send those PMs, advertising this contest on other sites with the intention to gain more votes (whether it is explicitly stated or not), and so on. If you are suspected of cheating, the staff will notify you and interrogate you (hopefully) over PMs. <3​

Last edited:
Level 16
I like Mr.Bobs and Anarchy's submissions, i dislike Shamanyouranus's submission cos i dont like minecraft, nothing personal :3.

But in the end, i voted for Anarchy's submission - more usefulness to warcraft 3.

Level 26
3 judges used to be more common than 2 judges in most contests in the past, no matter what KIND of contest. The exception is when not enough people opted in to judge.
I fail to see the problem.

3 judges for 3 models? I fail to see the point

EDIT: Also I just did a little backlogging, and it appears that we didnt even use judges until the 13th modeling contest. 1-12 were all decided purely by popular vote
after that modeling contests 13, 14, 16, 17, and 19 all had only 2 judges, while only 15 (colossus) and 18 (aberrations) had 3 judges

Given those statistics, I wouldnt say that 3 judges were not more common than 2, If anything i would say that 0 is the most common. Its interesting how you keep trying to make these broad generalization to prove your point when they arent even true.

Last edited:
Level 48
But we have already established that you are too biased to judge properly. And by getting all worked up over this, you are only becoming more biased. And therefore a less likely candidate for an effective, objective judge

Oh really? Who am I biased against?
So lets say I'm biased. I'm biased against you, shamanyouarnus and Mr.Bob? What is your point? What will I do, give you all 0\0 points? I seriously fail to see your logic.

Level 25
Stop making drama deolorin, also your judging will be obvious since you already did it quickly
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/1927844-post4.html "that is all"
this contest does not even need 2 judges, 1 should work in my opinion.

and why the hell do you want to judge this thing that much? it wont pay your bills, just move on and try for another contest.

Edit: also you already voted, thus giving us your winner like any other voter. why do you want your vote to be heavier than all other votes?

Level 48
Stop making drama deolorin, also your judging will be obvious since you already did it quickly
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/1927844-post4.html "that is all"
this contest does not even need 2 judges, 1 should work in my opinion.

and why the hell do you want to judge this thing that much? it wont pay your bills, just move on and try for another contest.

Edit: also you already voted, thus giving us your winner like any other voter. why do you want your vote to be heavier than all other votes?

Because I haven't judged or participated in like 3-4 contests now and I really want to.

Level 25
You "really want to" is not our problem. a descent amount of people are against you as a judge, that does not mean your good/bad, it's just their opinion, so, other judges who are approved by all got priority over you.
you said it yourself "judged or participated" first didn't work then do the second, participate.

Level 26
Because I haven't judged or participated in like 3-4 contests now and I really want to.

Then why didnt you participate in this contest? you had a model and it looked like it was pretty much done, why didnt you submit it? And just because someone didnt participate in a contest doesnt automatically qualify them to judge it. Otherwise anyone could be a judge. what a silly notion

Level 26
Because I had a problem, I asked lots of people about how to fix it(including you), but no one seemed to have a decent answer. And then in one big WHAM all three of you submitted your models and the poll started while I was still at school. It's as if you coordinated it or something. :/

dont try to pull that, you never asked me for help.

ONCE in chat you asked if i had the same clipping problem you did and i said "yes, but i fixed it" and you didnt say anything after that. And all 3 of us submitted a model because the contest deadline was over so whichever the next 3 models were submitted would be accepted. Why would anyone pass up an opportunity like that? Even if you didnt fix the clipping on your model debode, if you had submitted it you still would have placed. I can understand how silly you must feel at such a missed opportunity, but dont take it out on everyone by raging on this thread

Level 25
it's called deadline, none went by it, you should have told the host like the other 2, and stop playing the innocent card, it's not anyone's responsibility in working on the model but yours, if you are not ready to join a contest because you lake qualification, don't force it.

Also how does this lead to you, having a "MUST judge because poor me" and how is that related to anything related with rights to judging?

Stop with the drama you are only making it worst and stop making crap excuses.
live with it.

Level 26
here is my point of view:

as the deadline was already over, youd'd have to extent it for at least another week to make it fair for everybody, or just close the contest.

as both of you, Mr.Bob and anarch, are participating in the contest, you shouldn't be able to apoint the judges.

2 judges are enought for this contest

Deolrin, I may not have a problem with you as a judge, I still think you should not jusge this contest just to avoid even more drama.

Level 26
here is my point of view:

as the deadline was already over, youd'd have to extent it for at least another week to make it fair for everybody, or just close the contest.

as both of you, Mr.Bob and anarch, are participating in the contest, you shouldn't be able to apoint the judges.

2 judges are enought for this contest

Deolrin, I may not have a problem with you as a judge, I still think you should not jusge this contest just to avoid even more drama.

im not appointing judges. thats what the host is for

Level 31
K I don't know what they are talking about, as I haven't read it all the way through, and I'm on my phone in a place I hate. So I will make this short.

Debode, you not judging has nothing to do with the fact that we have 2 judges. It's because you attract so much drama its ridiculous. And, you have been extremely emotional about it the entire time. You've had seemingly retarded highs and lows throughout the entire ordeal, and I don't want any of that nonesense oozing into the judging. I'm already angry enough on this stupid trip to texas to have to explain to you what you know very well already.

If you don't like that, go cry to pyritie as he is the admin and arena mod, and stop destroying this thread.

Level 48
dont try to pull that, you never asked me for help.

ONCE in chat you asked if i had the same clipping problem you did and i said "yes, but i fixed it" and you didnt say anything after that. And all 3 of us submitted a model because the contest deadline was over so whichever the next 3 models were submitted would be accepted. Why would anyone pass up an opportunity like that? Even if you didnt fix the clipping on your model debode, if you had submitted it you still would have placed. I can understand how silly you must feel at such a missed opportunity, but dont take it out on everyone by raging on this thread

You didn't say "Yes, I fixed it". You said "yes", posted two pictures(with the only difference being different camera angles), and then posted some stupid image(if I recall correctly).
And no, I wouldn't have submitted it like that, because it's broken. It's not working. It's ruined.
And as I said... I went to school, nothing happened in the thread. I came back and 2 people submitted and the poll was already open. It happened really fast. No chance to ask for a short extension or anything.

Thanks, and sure, but next contest, if I don't participate, I'd very much like to judge. If this story happens again, I'll send a private message to Pyritie.

Debode, you not judging has nothing to do with the fact that we have 2 judges. It's because you attract so much drama its ridiculous.

I 'attract drama' to\because of\with a few very specific people, and you're on that list with your buddy anarchianbedlam. If you weren't here, none of this would've happened. Don't give me that shit. Go check the threads I'm active on in which you DIDN'T post.
There's an astonishing lack of debodrama there.

Level 31
Debode, I really don't care if its just me or the whole world that you like to stir shit up with. The fact remains that you do infact stir shit up. (Aka this thread). And, if the majority (or in this case all) of the people participating in this contest are on your blacklist, then its just another reason you shouldn't be a part of the judging process.

Again, just go whine to pyritie.

Level 26
It happened really fast. No chance to ask for a short extension or anything.

The extension parameters were written and posted at the beginning of the contest, the contest will end on the deadline and then extend until at least 3 entries were received. the deadline was the 31st and shaman submitted the 3rd model on the 2nd.

I doubt you were in school for more than 48 hours. So you were online after the contest closed and before the 3 models were submitted so you could have asked for an extension then if you actually cared.

More to the point though, we really shouldnt be asking for an extension AFTER the deadline has passed.

Well in my opinion this theme was kind of a failure =\. Knowing Born²Modificate's campaign screen (2007), I was expecting higher quality in these entries.

hum, :/ i feel insulted, sure the subject matter is different, more Noire, but id say the quality is pretty similar. Besides, I'd say all 3 came out pretty good for slapdashing them together in a night

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

I voted for anarchianbedlam's entry. Decent quality and fitting theme for WC3. Shamanyouranus' entry is tasteless, in my opinion, although I'm sure there's some effort behind it, and it probably looks like Minecraft(?) so that it fulfills it's purpose. Mr. Bob's entry is of the highest quality, and perhaps the more fitting for a campaign screen, but it's lacking in detail - scratches and some texture on the surface there would help a lot - and it doesn't suit WC3. Also, the reflections in the concrete(?) are somewhat pixelated.

Rui, I can't see how the campaign screen you linked is that much better than anarchian's entry. It's just a different style.

shamanyouarnus' entry's texture quality is worse than minecraft, because he used Photoshop, as far as I can see... :p
(Instead of drawing it pixel-by-pixel in MSPaint, or at least using Photoshop's "Pencil" tool)

If he did his textures tiny and pixelly like minecraft's are, they would look all blurry because of how WC3 scales up textures.

Level 16
Rui, I can't see how the campaign screen you linked is that much better than anarchian's entry. It's just a different style.

^ what that guy said. And bthw, that campaign screen is just with HQ models, plus its a room.. with books and table..and stuff.. i wouldn't vote for that. Instead id still vote for Anarchy's submission, its awesome. Not to offend the other two, i simply like that one better.

If he did his textures tiny and pixelly like minecraft's are, they would look all blurry because of how WC3 scales up textures.

Pyritie's right. It was a combination of three problems that made the textures so blurry:
-First was that many of the textures in minecraft are 8x8, whereas I used 16x16 for everything. This resulted in slightly more detailed textures with less contrast, giving the appearance of being smoother/blurrier.
-Milkshape allows very detailed UV mapping, so getting the wrap to perfectly correspond with the pixels on the texture was nearly impossible to do manually. Anything but a perfect wrap would result in some stretching of the texture, which is what happened.
-As Pyritie said, warcraft has a pretty stupid thing where it scales up textures and cuts off edges, as visible in this example.
Phase4.jpg

(scaled up to show detail)
ScreenHunter_01Jun070808.jpg

As you can see, even with a perfect wrap, warcraft scales up textures, making small textures super blurry.
There was no way I was gonna use a massive texture to compensate for this, as the filesize was enormous anyway.
Get over it, I'm gonna place anyway. >:D

Level 31
Wait...I'm confused. Is the one from wc3c that you linked supposed to be a decent campaign screen? From a modeler's perspective, it doesn't look like he did much. Basically, every object in that scene is incredibly low detail, and not easy to look at. Now add the lack of any decent texture or uvw work, and the extremely harsh wc3 shadowing, and you end up with what looks like it took him about 10 minutes.

Now, this is not to say its better than mine. Mine ofc took a relatively short time, and ended up looking rather retarded. But regardless, the one you linked is a generally low detail model with some terrible wrap jobs, horrid texture work, some awful uvw work (on some of the models), and some cheesy lighting that generates extremely harsh shadows.

I almost feel like making an exact replica with updated models and textures. Hurts my brain.

Also, since when did wc3 have better models for campaign screens? Sillyness.

Now, aside from all that, its probably not a good idea to come into a poll and say, "hey guys your models looks like shit, and this guy's model was better." And if you do, atleast pick a halfway decent model to do it with.

Oh well. To each his own I guess. I just don't see your thought process here. It just seems like a bit of a dick move to tell us we didn't do "good enough" AFTER we have finished (thus rendering any possibility of it being constructive lost), then to link us what is seemingly a rather low quality model and tell us its better.

Level 26
Did you open it in Magos' or Warcraft 3?
Cause it has a fuckloaod of detailed shadows and lights with custom textures. The candle's light is very realistically flickering as well, changing the light in the room.
Yes, it's pretty much amazing.

Did you or rui open mine in magos? i got pretty fluffy clouds. "Bitches don't know about my fluffy clouds" *throws up a gang sign*

EDIT: also the wall and floor texture are detailed, and the candle and shadows look great, but the wood texture and the actual furniture (mesh and UV wrap) look pretty shitty

Status
Not open for further replies.