• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modeling Contest 17: Poll

Vote for the best entry!

• Supa- : [URL="http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/1663386-post456.html"]Corruptor[/URL]

Votes: 23 10.1%
  • HappyCockroach : [URL="http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/1666299-post521.html"]Cabalist[/URL]

Votes: 48 21.1%
  • tee.dubs : [URL="http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/1642648-post235.html"]Rhinolox Coleoidus[/URL]

Votes: 5 2.2%
  • Pyramidhe@d : [URL="http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/1663376-post455.html"]Merc Ravager[/URL]

Votes: 53 23.2%
  • Fan : [URL="http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/1664576-post483.html"]Charlie the Traveler[/URL]

Votes: 17 7.5%
  • Dondustin : [URL="http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/1663128-post452.html"]Demonic Gargoyle[/URL]

Votes: 8 3.5%
  • Chilla_Killa : [URL="http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/1647675-post288.html"]EyeBot[/URL]

Votes: 10 4.4%
  • Forgotten Warlord : [URL="http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/models-530/shadowdragon-forgotten_warl

Votes: 16 7.0%
  • Yayoi : [URL="http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/1637077-post174.html"]Zenoth Scout[/URL]

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • MassiveMaster : [URL="http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/1664802-post488.html"]The Flying Spear Th

Votes: 15 6.6%
  • ikillforeyou : [URL="http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/1649950-post320.html"]XV-105 SuperStingray

Votes: 8 3.5%
  • Pyritie : [URL="http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/1666031-post517.html"]Hoppip[/URL]

Votes: 23 10.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 26
the%20hive%20workshop.png

modeling.png
contest.png
number.png
1.png
7.png

poll.png

Contest Theme: Air Units
Contestants are to create an air unit. A model that is primarily used to fly.

Welcome to the poll for Modeling Contest 17! Please read through the rules before voting!

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

• Each user can only vote once in the poll. (remove this for a multiple choice poll)
  • You cannot vote for yourself. If a voter has the same IP as the author then the vote will not be counted and it may result in the disqualification of the entry.
  • You cannot create multiple accounts to vote for an entry in the poll. If a voter has been found to be using multiple accounts none of the voters votes will count in the final result.
  • You cannot bribe users for votes. Contestants who break this rule will be disqualified and given negative reputation.
prizes.png

• First Place: 50 reputation points and your entry on an award icon
  • Second Place: 35 reputation points and an award icon
  • Third Place: 20 reputation points and an award icon

entries.png

judges.png
  • Devine
  • Mr. Bob

contest%20judging.png

• 60 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • 40 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.
  • Score shall be taken out of 50 points,
    - 15 points for mesh (verticies and faces)
    - 10 points for animations (or how well Blizzard animations have been used)
    - 10 points for skin (or how well Blizzard skins have been used)
    - 5 points for mechanics (how well does this model work ingame)
    - 5 points for effects (appropriate use of particles, particle saturation, etc.)
    - 5 points for creativity.
  • Final Score = (Judge's Score)*0.6 + (votes/(total votes))*40 = (score)/100

disclaimer.png

Inviting your friends to vote for you, bribing random members with rep and otherwise cheating with the VB poll system will get you DISQUALIFIED, BANNED from future contests, -REPPED, and possibly INFRACTED. So don't do it!

This includes, but is not limited to, sending PMs out to various users, getting other people to send those PMs, advertising this contest on other sites with the intention to gain more votes (whether it is explicitly stated or not), and so on. If you are suspected of cheating, the staff will notify you and interrogate you (hopefully) over PMs. <3​

Last edited:
Supa did an amazing work on his model, but it's too uncreative... Pyra's entry is awesome as well. But he's already getting the amount of votes he deserves for it, so I voted for tee.dubs. I know it's lame to think like that when voting, but tee.dubs deserves votes for such awesome, creative and efficient animations and such a well-worked concept, despite the uncommon look of the mesh.
Just to be sure what happened in the colossus contest doesn't happen here. tee.dubs had an awesome model and got too few votes.

About the others...
Fan's really cool, but has too much distortion and repetitive wrap.
DonDustin's model has creative wrap and effects, but I don't like its anatomy, wings aren't radial and some things look weird.
chilla_killa's entry looks too simple, has too subtle wrap changes and boring animations...
time-to-die's entry uses a retarded CnP texture and it's just messy.
Forgotten_Warlord did a pretty cool mesh and texture, I liked it. The anims quite ruined it, though...
Yayoi did a random thing which I can't even tell which side is the front, or back, or what is that, with primitive mesh and nonsense texture.
MassiveMaster did an awesome job, I really liked it. It's also very useful, but it lacks many conventional stuff that warcraft models should have.
ikillforeyou, your entry was quite too simple and boring, you tend to use always the same patterns in your contest models...
Pyritie did FANTASTIC animations and effects, but I didn't vote for him cos his model doesn't fit warcraft III - the plain color stands out too much and the animation discreet details can't be seen in-game. Maybe if you gave it in-game textures...

anarch you noob you didn't set it so voters are visible

HappyCockroach said:
Pyritie did FANTASTIC animations and effects, but I didn't vote for him cos his model doesn't fit warcraft III - the plain color stands out too much and the animation discreet details can't be seen in-game. Maybe if you gave it in-game textures...
If you know of any ingame textures that would've fit, then please be my guest and tell me >__>

If you know of any ingame textures that would've fit, then please be my guest and tell me >__>
lol pyritie dont be a lazy ass. well, I know it sucks to search for hours and hours around the mpq's, but i'll tell you what I think that fits hoppip:
01.JPG
textures\Ruins_PlantLife.blp (has alpha)
02.JPG
UI\Glues\SinglePlayer\NightElf_exp\AshenvalePlants03.blp (has alpha)
03.JPG
UI\Glues\SinglePlayer\NightElf_exp\Stranglethorndetails_256.blp (has alpha)
04.JPG
textures\EredarRed.blp
05.JPG
Abomination
06.JPG
Fountain of Blood
07.JPG
Some Skybox

I made pokemon models mostly with in-game textures, I myself can't tell how hard they suck, but I don't think they're all that bad:
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/models-530/bulbasaur-124646/
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/models-530/charmander-132751/
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/models-530/metapod-123067/

Reactions: ZIR
those aren't the right pink though <__>

though okay I get your point

EDIT: plus then what am I gonna do if I want to use the model in SC2?
Search for SC2 textures and make a new wrap, or make a custom texture, or import the WC3 textures you need to SC2.
(believe me, a warcraft-textured model fits SC2 better than an almost plain-colored one)
Still, your model would look like shit in SC2, cos it has no normal maps, specular maps, etc...
But this contest is about wc3 models still, so...I was picky with you about this :p
If you made a custom texture that would fit wc3, I wouldn't complain

Level 23
My vote goes for Pyramidhead. I did review every single model very carefully and took a very close look. I'm to lazy to write a review to everyone here, but if you are interested in my thoughts about a specific model I can post what I think in general.

Great job of all!

Search for SC2 textures and make a new wrap, or make a custom texture, or import the WC3 textures you need to SC2.
(believe me, a warcraft-textured model fits SC2 better than an almost plain-colored one)
Still, your model would look like shit in SC2, cos it has no normal maps, specular maps, etc...
But this contest is about wc3 models still, so...I was picky with you about this :p
If you made a custom texture that would fit wc3, I wouldn't complain

well this was my first time texturing after all :D

Just make the next pokemon models you make have more contrast/be more photorealistic, or pick ones that aren't blobs of a single color.

Level 48
Wow. That was a really tough choice. For me it was either SuPa-, HappyCockroach, Pyramidhe@d or Pyritie.

SuPa-, you did a fucking amazing job recreating the corruptor. The texture is awesome. The mesh is amazing. I absoultely love every part of it. But in the end, what turned me away was the animations. They are great, better than 99% of the custom animations there are for WC3, but they are just too uncreative, and too few, plus I dislike the attack animation for some reason(however, I LOVE the death animation). Don't get me wrong. I LOVE your animations. It's just that compared to some other contestant's animations, they did not make me feel this "awesome!" feeling for some reason. They were just kinda too simple to me, except for the tentacles which were great.
Great job nonetheless!

Pyramidhe@d. Where will I start... Your model is literally epic. All of that awesome detailing made me gasp. The fleshy mouth with the guns inside, the huge(what seems to be) blood vessels going over his back. The propeller\engine in the back. The differently-timed wings... It's all absolutely amazing. The animations are great as well. The portrait... Oh god the portrait. It's freaking AMAZING, in every way possible. It's by far the most creative portrait I ever saw done for a WC3 model. Absolutely marvelous work. However... In the end, what made me not vote for you, against all odds... Was the texture(and general style of the model). It's great and detailed but it just doesn't fits in WC3 that well. I guess it's great for a map with many other models made by you, but it simply doesn't fits for anything else. You would have been my immediate second choice, if I could vote twice. :p

Pyritie. I said that multiple times already and I will say that again. Your animations are fucking brilliant. They are absolutely awesome, in my opinion by far the best in this contest. They are so fluid and smooth. The best part is all the different face expressions. They really make the model feel 'alive'. However... Don't get me wrong here, but the model(and texture mainly) just absolutely doesn't fits in WC3. It's great as a standalone model, but when you put it in WC3, it just doesn't looks that good. It loses the greatness it has when you look at it without that WC3 background, and the other WC3 models near it. This is the primary reason I didn't vote for you.

And finally... HappyCockroach. I was honestly waiting for your model during the whole contest, since you showed your first WIP. It has EVERYTHING. It's original, it fits in-game, it has great(and original) animations and it uses in-game textures. Simply marvelous! While it is not as detailed as Pyramidhe@d's model, while it doesn't features extremely amazing animations like Pyritie's, and while it is not an epic recreation of a Starcraft 2 model like SuPa-'s... It is absolutely great. It is all the little things together that make this model amazing. The bat is a great touch. The book is an even better touch. The death animation is fucking awesome. I love how he looks like one of those Aladin-like eastern\Arabian dudes. The bare feet for example add to that. Oh yeah and I love flying carpets. :p
Either way. The bad part about this model is the overall lack of teamcolor. It would have been infinitely better if you sticked with the DK cape texture for the carpet, IMO. The BE robe texture is overused. However that doesn't puts me away from voting for you. Excellent job!

As for everyone else. You did a great job as well. :)
Out of all other entries that I didn't list above, my favorite is Fan's Charlie the Traveler. It just looks so cute! :D

Level 14
Sooo... I was gonna vote for Happycockroach after I tested his model.. But i found this slight little bug with it..

It just so happens this model changed the lighting in the entire map? And if I change the model file of the unit it currently is. It reverts back to normal lighting. So unless something is wrong on my end, I think I shall vote for somebody else.

Attachments

• WC3ScrnShot_080610_141411_01.png
    WC3ScrnShot_080610_141411_01.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 97
Sooo... I was gonna vote for Happycockroach after I tested his model.. But i found this slight little bug with it..

It just so happens this model changed the lighting in the entire map? And if I change the model file of the unit it currently is. It reverts back to normal lighting. So unless something is wrong on my end, I think I shall vote for somebody else.
Yeah, Magos fucked up my lights. I already fixed this bug, but the deadline reached me firstly. :/

EDIT: attached the fixed version, found a way to export my model without using magos

If you want to actually use my model, I recommend this one. But I can't update my post at the thread, the deadline ended and the thread is closed

Attachments

• Cabalist.mdx
    297.8 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
Level 15
The voting was difficult, with Pyramidhe@d, HC and DonDustin entries.
I ended voting for HC because of the amazing and funny standing animations, the waving of the carpet and the file size. Mostly loved animations.
Good luck to everyone, and keep it up, i can only give one vote, but i saw many good jobs here, as for Pyramidhe@d, HC and DonDustin there are many other VERY good models here! (but personally i liked most those 3).
So.. my vote goes for HappyCockroach.

I think most models of this contest are really great, but I voted for HappyCockroach's Cabalist as it is a very creative model and I really like the animations. It's just too bad, that it doesn't have any teamcolour on it. :/
Also I'd give the Cabalist a ranged attack like throwing the trident or an magic attack. It's a little weird having a magical powerfull cabalist on a flying carpet attacking you by flying after you pricking you with his trident. :xxd:
But never the less a really awesome idea and execution. :thumbs_up:

Level 3
I was gonna vote for pyramidhe@d all the way trough... But then I saw pyritie's hoppip. Gave me such an awesome laugh that I had to vote for it. =D

Level 26
Oh, Quick update. Time-to-die has been disqualified from the contest. The custom texture that he used was a direct CnP over 25%. Which, for a modeling contest, would probably be ok, except that he did not inform anyone nor did he credit the source of the CnP picture. He has been removed from the list, i just need to get someone to remove him from the poll.

My reviews :

Supa : Althought nicely executed this is a remake of sc2 corruptor and thus is not original.It has utility but this is not the kind of model you do for a contest.
Nonetheless there is originality in the execution like the way you did the tentacle and the death anim.

HappyCoakroach : Nice model and nice concept althought flying carpet is not original in the way it's a popular fantasy lore.Excellent carpet animation and fun animation overall.I don't like the mesh of the guy.I would prefered a more persian design.The fel orc texture is so common/overused.Clever use of texture for the mesh and trident thought.Bad choice of carpet texture imo I'd used goblinmerchant or treasure pile doodad texture.

tee.dubs : I think this model deserve maximum originality score.This is a ground concieved alien creature completely original.This is nicely executed but I think it lacks the charisma and epicness to please the crowd and wc3 textures are not doing it justice.

Pyramidhead : This is an epic creation from your very own universe.I like your biopunk style.The model has a nice portrait and even a background story making your model more charismatic.Mesh and animation are very detailed (like the vein on the side) good job.

Fan : I really like the concept of a rat boy piloting a plane but there is flaw in the execution.It lacks some polishing.It use gyrocopter animation that is not doing it justice I would have like a barrel roll animation, the attack effect is too simple.This is my personal taste but I'd prefered more cartoony proportion (smaller plane) and a biplane.

Level 5
Oh, Quick update. Time-to-die has been disqualified from the contest. The custom texture that he used was a direct CnP over 25%. Which, for a modeling contest, would probably be ok, except that he did not inform anyone nor did he credit the source of the CnP picture. He has been removed from the list, i just need to get someone to remove him from the poll.

Was not really a direct copy, I had to go into their model viewer and take a screenshot of him standing there, then I had to edit out all of the shadows in another program.

Status
Not open for further replies.