• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Music Contest #3 - Theme Selection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
Ok, I think it's about time we had another music contest, so Wherewolf and I decided to create a new thread to select the theme, seeing as the old one died. So, as I am going to host this contest, I invite potential participants to post their ideas for themes here and I shall count them. The one with the most votes, wins.

For the sake of... time. This is going to have a pretty strict timetable, to prevent unwanted delays, as was the case last time. So, on 02-19-2011, 7:21PM, Global Meridian Time, the voting shall stop. I shall count all the votes up to that time, and the theme with the most votes wins.

Sorry if I seem to be stuck-up and too official, but I just want to make sure we get somewhere.

So, currently we have the two predominant themes from the previous thread:

Dystopia - a world ruled by chaos caused by a corrupt leader. Basically, a Utopia gone wrong.
and
Schizophrenia - just what it sounds like. Create a schizophrenic piece of music.

So, propose your themes and vote for previously proposed themes. I'd like you guys to keep it broad, try to choose a theme that doesn't limit creativity, as was the case in the last two contests. Choose something that would let the participants show their creativity.

Last edited:
Level 35
Personally, I find Dystopia more abstract and much more difficult to create a sound for. The simplest approach is create a Utopian sound, then slowly distort it throughout to reveal its Dystopian nature.

Schizophrenia, in my opinion, has easier sounds to produce because you can work with its symptoms and go from there.

Either way, these two themes are abstract but leave a lot of room for creativity. It's just difficult drawing the borderline for "horror" music, which is done rather easily.

Level 35
You know the idea of a contest is to make a new piece specifically for it, and not to recycle old work. Using loops and such is fine, but if you're talking about just adding a little to an old piece that's not exactly in the spirit of competition

I actually kind of have to disagree with this because I believe if he can do substantial editing as to give new life to his former piece, then it's viable. There are a lot of great remixes out there that completely redefine the meaning of a song so it just seems he's remixing another piece of his.

I actually kind of have to disagree with this because I believe if he can do substantial editing as to give new life to his former piece, then it's viable. There are a lot of great remixes out there that completely redefine the meaning of a song so it just seems he's remixing another piece of his.

Well the point is that it's like other contests in that you create the work directly for the contest. I guess there's quite a difference between using a loop and reworking an old piece, but the general idea is that you're not riding out on your old writing. If he changed it enough then yeah, it's basically not the same piece - but also note that it's an original composition challenge (at least that's what my intentions where when hosting the first contest - of course watchman is hosting this one so it's his say, but at least that's what I was envisioning in past contests), perhaps that should be a bit more defined in the rules, basically the writing should be originally intended for the contest.

Though that could be a cool idea for future/seperate contests, taking a piece and completely reworking it into your own style.

Level 10
Samples are fine because you need them to be according to your idea. Once you have an idea you need to find the right sample. If you build on an older piece, you work on it more than the others have worked on their pieces (first time you made it, and now when you remake it) and thus it would be more perfected, thus more unfair. 3 hours remaining, themes are tied. This is going to be strange.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Either we vote again and choose half the time or we just toss a coin. Dudes, I don't use loops as already made. What I called loop was a piece of music I made that can be played forever using the program I use (get it now ?). And I specifically said that I will make a new piece, you have my word (what ever would that mean to you).

Not really fair considering you could choose for your liking. There should be a way though.

You do realize the host normally chooses the theme correct?
Most contests don't seem to have this sort of problem, but try to host something art related with a specific theme and suddenly everyone's up at arms about their opinion not being expressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.