Yin & Yang
The music piece must in some way create diametrically opposed (as-different-as-possible) soundscapes, either through dynamics, or through thematic difference, or some other creative ways one can think of. For example, one part of the song can be decidedly sad sounding, while the other one is decidedly happy sounding, or you can switch them up inside the verses all the time through modulations, or you can create a calm and beautiful atmosphere just to add some face melting synths or metal afterwards, completely throwing expected dynamics off.
- Submissions must follow the contest theme.
- Submissions may not be started / made before the official launch of the contest.
- Teamwork is not allowed (physically working on someone else's entry).
- Giving feedback isn't considered teamwork and is always welcome. However if you feel someone is abusing it, you may appeal to the appointed moderator.
- Post 2 WorkInProgresses in the contest thread during the contest process. It should be clear that you are working on the submission.
- Post your final entry in the contest thread before contest is over. The post should be a little presentation, having your submission attached.
- Judges may not participate.
- Your final entry must include the music in an accepted file Format (MP3, OGG, or MIDI) and an accompanying explanation of the song (i.e. explain how it fits into the theme).
- You may not include long periods of silence in your song - rests are allowed but using 30 seconds of continuous silence simply to fill up space is not allowed.
- Songs shouldn't contain only a single instrument soloing.
- Your WIP must include a screenshot of your worksheet.
- Minimum length is 1 minute, there is no maximum length (please keep it reasonable, 20 minute entries may create the necessity for a maximum length).
- Any method of music production is allowed, including using sequencers, virtual instruments, sound samples and standard recording.
- Vocals can be used, though the part being judged is the overall sound. Essentially the Vocals are being treated as if they were instruments. Since this is a music contest, the sound is the product being judged, not the lyrics.
- Though sampling is allowed, it must be within reason:
- If you use an instrument sound sample for a Sampling VSI (basically if you just use the sound for the instrument, and make it play your music) you must provide the source of the sound, be it a website or an individual.
- Sampling copyrighted material without the consent of the owner is illegal and will not be tolerated.
- You may use Royalty free sound samples - but you must provide the source of the sample.
- The final song must be at least 75% of your writing - In essence, you can use a royalty free drum loop (or other form of sampled material) in your song, but if you chose to you must create enough of the other material or use in such a way that it can be said that you wrote 75% of the song. Samples of instruments are simply to be used for a sequencer (like building a drum line out of specific drums or using a pitch altering sampler to make a melody out of a sound sample from an instrument) are exempt from the 75% rule.
- 1st place: 45 reputation points
- 2nd place: 30 reputation points
- 3rd place: 15 reputation points
- Entry: 5 reputation points
- Judge: 5 reputation points
The three winning teams will receive an award icon, representing the winning entry.
|Theme||How well does it demonstrate the feeling of the theme||/15|
|Creativity/Originality||How original is the piece? How creative are you with the theme/instruments/etc.||/10|
|Production||Basically, how well does it flow? Are accents used to good effect? Do overall levels make sense? etc.||/10|
|Composition||How well is it composed? Do the key changes make sense?||/15|
- Judgement: 80%
- Poll: 20%
The contest shall begin on 8 January 2020 and conclude on 22 February 2020 GMT (day is included).
Here are some examples from the band I know (if you have more examples, feel free to show them, and I'll add them here):
Assigned Staff: Heinvers
Previous Contest | Poll | Results
Last edited by a moderator: