• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Music Contest #13 - Yin & Yang

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 16
thread_hive_logo-png.323627

ct_music-png.311597
contest-png.311487
p_hash-png.311483
1-png.311474
3-png.311476

yin-yang-svg-58f16cd4ed967364451983d6.png

Yin & Yang

The music piece must in some way create diametrically opposed (as-different-as-possible) soundscapes, either through dynamics, or through thematic difference, or some other creative ways one can think of. For example, one part of the song can be decidedly sad sounding, while the other one is decidedly happy sounding, or you can switch them up inside the verses all the time through modulations, or you can create a calm and beautiful atmosphere just to add some face melting synths or metal afterwards, completely throwing expected dynamics off.

other_rules_and_conditions-png.311513

• Submissions must follow the contest theme.
  • Submissions may not be started / made before the official launch of the contest.
  • Teamwork is not allowed (physically working on someone else's entry).
    • Giving feedback isn't considered teamwork and is always welcome. However if you feel someone is abusing it, you may appeal to the appointed moderator.
  • Post 2 WorkInProgresses in the contest thread during the contest process. It should be clear that you are working on the submission.
  • Post your final entry in the contest thread before contest is over. The post should be a little presentation, having your submission attached.
  • Judges may not participate.
  • Your final entry must include the music in an accepted file Format (MP3, OGG, or MIDI) and an accompanying explanation of the song (i.e. explain how it fits into the theme).
  • You may not include long periods of silence in your song - rests are allowed but using 30 seconds of continuous silence simply to fill up space is not allowed.
  • Songs shouldn't contain only a single instrument soloing.
  • Your WIP must include a screenshot of your worksheet.
  • Minimum length is 1 minute, there is no maximum length (please keep it reasonable, 20 minute entries may create the necessity for a maximum length).
  • Any method of music production is allowed, including using sequencers, virtual instruments, sound samples and standard recording.
  • Vocals can be used, though the part being judged is the overall sound. Essentially the Vocals are being treated as if they were instruments. Since this is a music contest, the sound is the product being judged, not the lyrics.
  • Though sampling is allowed, it must be within reason:
    • If you use an instrument sound sample for a Sampling VSI (basically if you just use the sound for the instrument, and make it play your music) you must provide the source of the sound, be it a website or an individual.
    • Sampling copyrighted material without the consent of the owner is illegal and will not be tolerated.
    • You may use Royalty free sound samples - but you must provide the source of the sample.
    • The final song must be at least 75% of your writing - In essence, you can use a royalty free drum loop (or other form of sampled material) in your song, but if you chose to you must create enough of the other material or use in such a way that it can be said that you wrote 75% of the song. Samples of instruments are simply to be used for a sequencer (like building a drum line out of specific drums or using a pitch altering sampler to make a melody out of a sound sample from an instrument) are exempt from the 75% rule.
Breaking any of these rules may lead to punishment in the judgement score, up to disqualification from the contest, depending on the weight of the issue. In case of doubts towards a certain rule you are very encouraged to discuss it in the contest thread so others and judges may help with sorting it out.

other_prizes-png.311512

• 1st place: 45 reputation points
  • 2nd place: 30 reputation points
  • 3rd place: 15 reputation points
  • Entry: 5 reputation points
  • Judge: 5 reputation points
The three winning teams will receive an award icon, representing the winning entry.​

other_judges-png.311510

• Pyrogasm
  • enzo2090
other_entries-png.311509

ContestantWIPScreenshotEntry
Jackky.BaDit02ClickClickClick
AditTechnoClickClickClick
GhostOfPastClickClickClick
Lord_MarrowgrathClickClickClick
deepstraszClickClickClick
ItsRyanBoiClickClickClick
HakrenClickClickClick
SwatosjClickClickClick
BrambleclawClickClickClick
Donut78ClickClickClick
JetFangInfernoClickClickClick
TridinarClickClickClick
other_contest_judging-png.311506

ThemeHow well does it demonstrate the feeling of the theme/15
Creativity/OriginalityHow original is the piece? How creative are you with the theme/instruments/etc./10
ProductionBasically, how well does it flow? Are accents used to good effect? Do overall levels make sense? etc./10
CompositionHow well is it composed? Do the key changes make sense?/15

/50

• Judgement: 80%
  • Poll: 20%
FinalScore = (20*Reached_Votes/POSSIBLE_VOTES) + (80*JudgeScore/100)

other_dates_and_deadline-png.311507

The contest shall begin on 8 January 2020 and conclude on 22 February 2020 GMT (day is included).

other_tips-png.326906

Here are some examples from the band I know (if you have more examples, feel free to show them, and I'll add them here):

Assigned Staff: Heinvers

Previous Contest | Poll | Results

Last edited by a moderator:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
I think we should lower the poll percentage as I've got third place in the previous contest because of popularity and it's not fair.

Post edited by Heinvers for keeping up with the entries:

other_entries-png.311509

ContestantWIPScreenshotEntry
Jackky.BaDit02ClickClickClick
AditTechnoClickClickClick
GhostofPastClickClickClick
Lord MarrograthClickClickClick
NameClickClickClick
NameClickClickClick
NameClickClickClick
NameClickClickClick
NameClickClickClick
NameClickClickClick
NameClickClickClick
NameClickClickClick
NameClickClickClick

Last edited:
Level 16
I think we should lower the poll percentage as I've got third place in the previous contest because of popularity and it's not fair.
I don't think it's too bad. I know "popularity" is a thing. But at the end of the day 20% isn't all that high. 80% on the judges end of things is more than enough to override that 20%. But if not 20% what should it be then?

Also you son of a bitch, I'm in!

Level 5
Just seen this, the theme is interesting, let the emotions flow !

I'll get my Ableton set tomorrow :)

Level 16
Hi, here's another WIP of the song. Still the same parts and duration, but cleaner this time. This one still doesn't show any soft-heavy transitions yet.

@Heinvers Pyrogasm is interested in judging the current music contest.

Attachments

• To Even The Odds WIP 2.mp3
    7.6 MB · Views: 337
Last edited:
Level 16

AditTechno - To Even The Odds

Here is the completed song. The song has 4 sections; Intro, Build, Drop, and Outro. Intro is the soft opener, Build is the transition from soft to heavy, Drop is the heavy slow-Electronic "Action" part, and Outro is the concluding part, still has some heavy touches in it. Not a single section in this song is repeated, it's slow but dynamic throughout. The transition slowly changes the soundscapes from soft to heavy ones.

I know it's only two days but I have put a lot of time into it. Consider this my final entry if I don't make any more changes to it. Enjoy!

Attachments

• AditTechno - To Even The Odds.mp3
    12.8 MB · Views: 231
Level 13
Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
You better not having another bronze picture frame. Good luck everybody. Hope there is something sound a bit of asian (since yin yang is from ancient china) * Last contest flashback *
Hey, sorry, I'll try less than bronze this time.

Well, I guess it'll be too cliche to have it Chinese sounding.
Screenshot isn't Work in Progress?
No idea you were making music.
Alright but then why did you upload it on YouTube? Doesn't that mean it's final or that you might have worked on it prior to the contest's start?

Level 13
deepstrasz said:
No idea you were making music.
Alright but then why did you upload it on YouTube? Doesn't that mean it's final or that you might have worked on it prior to the contest's start?

My another hobby :) I have midi keyboard and using cubase5. I decided to upload my works on Youtube. (I uploaded on my social media before) Then I saw music contest on hive. I Decided to join that's all. I will share my full content on Youtube soon.

Level 16
I improved the mixing again, consider this my final entry for now.

I might change it again, though (it might somehow become regular), but as for now, I'm quite satisfied with it.

Attachments

12.8 MB · Views: 139
Level 16
I went deeper into the mixing again, trying to clean up sounds so they don't overlap. Consider this my entry for now.

I might change this again if I still don't feel satisfied with it. You know what they say, there's no such thing as "perfect mix". Maybe 99,9% but never 100%, sometimes file types matter, too. Some data gets thrown away while rendering to MP3, well, to compensate for smaller file size of course.

Attachments

12.8 MB · Views: 142
Last edited:
Level 5
@AditTechno The off-tempo low kick is very disturbing (starting close to 1:30), are you usually using this kind of beat in your music ?

@deepstrasz The first WiP has some very interesting harmonics in it, this is actually a bit aggressive for the ears because of the dynamics but I'm looking forward the final result ^^

Level 5
@Hakren Impressive WiP and definetly my favorite at the moment. +rep for using Ardour also :p

I just found the guitar chord progession I'd like to use for my entry, so here it is a quick preview of the idea.

Don't pay attention to the kick/hithat during the second part, it was just to notice about the BPM change.

Attachments

• Swatosj - Yin&Yang WiP 1.png
    Swatosj - Yin&Yang WiP 1.png
    330.7 KB · Views: 115
  • Yin&Yang WiP 1.mp3
    2.5 MB · Views: 124
Level 17
  • The submission must be posted in the respective resource section, before the contest ends.
    • The resource description must make it clear it's a submission from the respective contest.
  • Post your final entry in the contest thread before contest is over. The post should be a little presentation, having your submission attached.
  • Judges may not participate

2 WIPS and have to figure out how to post it in a resource section

• Oof.

Yin & Yang seems cool though.

Level 17
WIP :/ Its a start I guess. I suppose I just need find some screaming samples and play them over the top for maximum hilarity.

Attachments

• Sea of Memory.mp3
    8.9 MB · Views: 123
Status
Not open for further replies.