• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Music Contest #12 - Synthwave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
thread_hive_logo-png.323627

ct_music-png.311597
contest-png.311487

p_hash-png.311483
1-png.311474
2-png.311475

michal-kvac-falling-sun-small.jpg

art by: Michal Kváč
artstation: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/aRODnR

Synthwave

Participants are to create a music piece in the style of synthwave. Knight Rider needs a song to listen to on his journey. Quickly save the day!
Click to see more explanations for Synthwave.
other_rules_and_conditions-png.311513

• Submissions may not be started / made before the official launch of the contest.
  • Teamwork is not allowed (physically working on someone else's entry).
    • Giving feedback isn't considered teamwork and is always welcome. However if you feel someone is abusing it, you may appeal to the appointed moderator.
  • Post 1 Work In Progress (WIP) in the contest thread during the contest process. It should be clear that you are working on the submission.
  • Post your final entry in the contest thread before contest is over. The post should have your submission attached, ideally with a little presentation,
  • Judges may not participate.
  • Your WIP must include a screenshot of your worksheet.
  • Your final entry must include the music in an accepted file Format (MP3 or OGG).
  • You may not include long periods of silence in your song - rests are allowed but using 30 seconds of continuous silence simply to fill up space is not allowed.
  • Songs shouldn't contain only a single instrument soloing.
  • Minimum length is 1 minute, there is no maximum length (please keep it reasonable, 20 minute entries may create the necessity for a maximum length).
  • Any method of music production is allowed, including using sequencers, virtual instruments, sound samples and standard recording.
  • Vocals can be used, though the part being judged is the overall sound. Essentially the vocals are being treated as if they were instruments. Since this is a music contest, the sound is the product being judged, not the lyrics.
  • Though sampling is allowed, it must be within reason:
    • If you use an instrument sound sample for a Sampling VSI (basically if you just use the sound for the instrument, and make it play your music) you must provide the source of the sound, be it a website or an individual.
    • Sampling copyrighted material without the consent of the owner is illegal and will not be accepted.
    • You may use Royalty free sound samples - but you must provide the source of the sample.
    • The final song must be at least 75% of your writing - In essence, you can use a royalty free drum loop (or other form of sampled material) in your song, but if you chose to you must create enough of the other material or use in such a way that it can be said that you wrote 75% of the song. Samples of instruments are simply to be used for a sequencer (like building a drum line out of specific drums or using a pitch altering sampler to make a melody out of a sound sample from an instrument) are exempt from the 75% rule.

Breaking any of these rules may lead to punishment in the judgement score, up to disqualification from the contest, depending on the weight of the issue. In case of doubts towards a certain rule you are very encouraged to discuss it in the contest thread so others and judges may help with sorting it out.

other_prizes-png.311512

• 1st place: 40 reputation points
  • 2nd place: 25 reputation points
  • 3rd place: 15 reputation points
  • Participants: 5 reputation points
  • Judges: 5 reputation points
The three winners will receive an award icon, representing the winning entry.

other_judges-png.311510

• AditTechno
  • NightStalker

other_contest_judging-png.311506

Theme
How well does it demonstrate the feeling of the theme/15

Creativity/Originality

How original is the piece? How creative are you with the theme/instruments/etc.
/10

Production
Basically, how well does it flow? Are accents used to good effect? Do overall levels make sense? etc./10

Composition
How well is it composed? Do the key changes make sense?
/15

/50

• Judgement: 70%
  • Poll: 30%
FinalScore = (30*Reached_Votes/POSSIBLE_VOTES) + (70*JudgeScore/100)

other_dates_and_deadline-png.311507

The contest shall begin on 1st July 2019 and conclude on 4th August 2019 GMT (day is included).

other_tips-png.326906

Here are some free to use resources that can get you started:
  • Audacity: Free Audio recording program - though you have to start a new track every time you record (cut and paste across tracks to deal with this), this handy audio program has nearly no latency (non-noticeable) and is a great start for people recording actual instruments.
  • ModPlug Tracker: A tracker composing program. Pretty easy to use and powerful. Doesn't come with very many instruments although more are easy to get.
  • FL Studio (formerly known as Fruity Loops): Another powerful composer. Has a bit of a steep learning curve and also is not free but there is a trial version you can use.
  • Switch Audio Converter: Free audio file changing program - can convert to less commenly used audio file types like RAW's and Orggis Vorbis along with the big ones like MP3's (Can convert iTunes locked format too).
  • Psycle: A free sequencer type program - similar to Mod Plug. Has a bit of a learning curve, though it's pretty powerful when used correctly.
  • Mp3 Direct Cut: Simplistic audio editing program that allows you to edit Mp3 directly, from their original file (don't forget to back up the original).
  • Krystal Audio Engine: Similar to Audacity, though this program is tooled more towards people editing or mixing music - recording can generate some terrible latency. (Essentially its more powerful then Audacity, but much more difficult to record a sound directly to it)
  • Hammerhead Rythm Station: A free drum machine that has built in sounds geared towards Electronica and Dance music. Also supports importing your own drum sounds via userbanks (some userbanks are provided on the site) and the entire sound library can be edited if you get more advanced with it - Drum parts can be exported as wav's and then used in your music. You will want to use Switch Audio engine if you plan on importing your own sounds as it only supports the RAW format.
  • Guitar Pro 5 - A popular Tab program that is capable of producing MIDI works. When used with the RSE plugins it can produce some realistic guitar/bass/drum parts. There is a trial version that allows for 15 days free - RSE can't be used in the trial version
  • Acoustica Beatcraft a drum machine that works similarly to Hammerhead but with more power (like the ability to use triplets). The free trial can be downloaded multiple times
  • FamiTracker: Sequencer for producing old school Nes/Famicon music. Music made from this can be played on an actual NES or Famicon (if you happen to know how to transfer such works to a game cartridge)
  • Suggest some more!
  • Cockos REAPER: REAPER is a complete digital audio production application for Windows and OS X, offering a full multitrack audio and MIDI recording, editing, processing, mixing and mastering toolset. Has a 60-day 100% functional trial and can still be used after that.
Additionally, this page can help some new composers to create better music if they don't have any good workstation to work on:

The 10 Best Free DAWs Available - RouteNote Blog

Extra two here as well:

SAVIHost – Standalone VST host for Windows
Ohm Studio - this might be paid by now.

Download Free Digital Audio Workstation plug-in: Podium Free by Zynewave its in the DAW list but i feel its better than most options,FL Studio is good but not being able to save a project is a big minus
Komplete : Samplers : Kontakt 5 Player | Products Very good and comes with a bunch of good stuff already,plus just googling ''Free Kontakt player libraries'' and you'll find a lot of stuff no doubt
Ultimate List of Free Kontakt Libraries A list of free libraries for kontakt.Be aware though,not all kontakt libraries will play on the kontakt player,some will play in demo mode as they require the full kontakt version,others will play normally
bigcat Instruments This guy makes a lot of good stuff for kontakt,free.

Assigned Staff: Heinvers

The Poll | Results

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 19
Level 9
Got a lot done on first days so this time im sure ill actually finish it.

EDIT:Just reuploading the proof with my name on it now.
By the way i made a little mistake recently and my right ear is currently clogged up with wax,so while making and mixing this i pretty much had a Low Pass Filter on at all times in the right ear.WIP probably has many issues.
upload_2019-7-3_1-8-25.png

Attachments

• Synthwave thingy.mp3
    3.1 MB · Views: 248
Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Have you judged before?
Does it matter? I mean, he has participated in many contests and is making music in general.

@enzo2090 how does that screenshot prove it's yours? I mean the text is blank. Well, we have the date, at least :D

The lead instrument is too detuned.

EDIT:
My WiP. Too trance-techno though.

deepstraszSynthwaveWiP.png

Attachments

• synthy.mp3
    1.3 MB · Views: 253
Last edited:
Level 7
I'd like to participate in the contest.

here is my WIP piece.

(OBS screwed up the audio a little bit )
I've never done not orchestral music before, threrefore I thought it would be fun to try to make more modern music.
I approached it the same as I would make orchestral music, simplified the the thing alot, added a base line and drums & snares and suddenly it started to sound simular to 80s music lol

Level 16
Wish Ableton had a way to just convert to MP3 without having to use something outside of it... Oh well! Here is my first WIP. There isn't much to listen to at the moment, only 12 seconds. But the intro should be enough to get across the vibe I'm going for.

Attachments

• Synthwave_MusicContest_12 Project.mp3
    496.6 KB · Views: 145
  • PIC1.png
    PIC1.png
    294.6 KB · Views: 299
Level 5
Never experienced to produce this "kind of music" but I should give it a try !

Inspiration :

Level 5
@Swatosj it's debatable if Daft Punk can be considered Synthwave in style. It's more of a hybrid if you will.

I get your point but that particular solo synth in this track is associated with the synthwave genre in my head ahah

I guess I'll go for some ARP, much reverb and some beers, will post it here asap

Level 9
I worked up a little somethin' for this. Haven't made a synthwave song before, so it's new territory for me.

The song is a good ways in, but I still don't feel fully satisfied with several elements of it. So this will be my WIP.

Attachments

• Cruisin' On Starlight.mp3
    4.2 MB · Views: 172
  • WIP Cruisin' On Starlight.jpg
    WIP Cruisin' On Starlight.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 95
Take this as my final entry if i don't make any updates.
And now the proof :
upload_2019-7-15_12-32-46.png

Synthtide, the music where it transitions slightly into more and more present sounds and styles. A very fast paced track inspired from new wave & electro. Complex as usual you may noticed already. Thehehehe

Attachments

• Synthtide V06.mp3
    3.7 MB · Views: 151
DelightfulRichAfghanhound-size_restricted.gif

Synth Tide
In a journey through time, only space can bend the world by our will. What is speed compared to the size of the universe ? What matter is how you are advancing to your destiny.
Starting at Am, transitioning to Em. 178 BPM. 3 minutes 14 seconds (what a coincidence:prazz:). A lot of 7th and 9th so it might tickle your ears thehehe. I admit i mixed some 80s and 90s gimmicks.
Style : Synthwave / Electro

Attachments

• Synthtide V08.mp3
    3.7 MB · Views: 155
Level 5
@GhostOfPast I'd suggest to improve the volume mixing especially when the solo synths kicks in (at 32 seconds), some of these are way too loud in the mix. Also maybe try to add some EQs on the background synths because there are many playing at the same time and adding some noise for nothing.

This track would suit for a 90's arcade game ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.