• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Music Contest #2 - Desert

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
@Lil_Scubby

I love the drums. What program did you use to make them? However, the flute/piccolo/lead instrument thing doesn't stick to any scale at all and and some points it sounds terribly off-key. Still, it's an optimistic sounding desert, which I like because most of us focused on the "OMG SHIT WE'RE SCREWED" part of the desert.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Level 7
@Lil_Scubby

I love the drums. What program did you use to make them? However, the flute/piccolo/lead instrument thing doesn't stick to any scale at all and and some points it sounds terribly off-key. Still, it's an optimistic sounding desert, which I like because most of us focused on the "OMG SHIT WE'RE SCREWED" part of the desert.

FL Studio 9... well trying too its really hard to build up a good sound library off a trial. Yea I wanted the flute to blend a little more. I tried doings and Ocarina and other higher pitched wind instruments but none of them felt right. Im trying to go for a story of a Bird trying to lead a lost Camel to water LOL.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
I like your idea for the story, it's very interesting. It's not the instrument's fault, you're just not respecting any scale at all, it's off-key. The choice of instrument is good. Also, I don't think the bass drum is too pounding.

The wind instrument is not off-key, it's just monotonous. I like disharmony amongst sounds (all of them form harmony while letting them breath alone they seem drunk).

Level 6
If you're talking about the music classes we take in Romania, they're useless. They don't teach us composition, they teach us the history of famous composers.

You're right here, about music classes in Romania...well I don't even study it anymore in the high school...well it is studied at the Art Highschool.
And thx for the criticism of my piece, I must admit that is the 3rd piece of music I make, and it is different from what the other 2 pieces are...they are hip-hop beats, so this was a real challenge for me, to make a piece that sounds on a certain theme...

Level 6
Well, yea that's why I accepted(to myself, cuz no1 asked me to do this:D) to enter the contest...to know that I'm able to make something

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Well, best of luck to you. I'll be waiting a bit more to submit my piece, maybe next Friday, because I don't want people to know how it sounds before the judging begins (I posted the WIP a few pages back, though).

Dude, don't be a spoil sport. Everyone posts their sketches early. What's that ? You think someone will steal your song and then post it and say it's his/hers ? Screenshot some notes, big deal. If it's music abuse you're worried about, you shouldn't have joined the contest, you know it's a free for everyone download/listen music challenge.

Level 30
Hehe :)), wait for the fatality, maybe there I'll ruin it :p. Don't be rude to the others :), maybe Watchman or someone else will prevail and knock us all out of our minds.
By the way check out Army of Pandas' signature =)), priceless !

Not meaning to be rude, just liked yours the best.
Nice arabic sounding melody going on there.
@AoP's sig: What a loser. He should've just stayed away >.>
It's the second time he got trolled and left the hive... Keeps coming back >.<

Level 19
You missed me in contestant list Wherewolf.
I just didnt post my wip yet.
I got a wip atm, but I'm ill right now and don't want to go downstairs to our studio and record it. It's still in the music computer downstairs.
I will upload the wip or even the finished version when I get well.
In case I finish it before I released a wip, I will film it with my mobile phone so you have some proof I made it myself. I make the music on an Atari computer with a special soundmodule so there's not even a way that I can fake it because it only runs on floppy discs haha.
Anyways. Put me to contestant list pls:D

Level 10
This is my final entry.

The song is about (predictably) a man lost in the desert. The song starts slow and ominous, symbolizing the vastness and monotony of the desert. A sudden change of scale symbolizes the man's confusion, as he doesn't know where to go. A guitar solo is next, symbolizing the man's initial determination of escaping the harsh desert. The piccolo solo that follows evokes the man's uncertain destiny, as if someone is watching him from above, but doesn't know if he will survive or not. The song fades, symbolizing the passage of time.

A slower part then starts. This is a mirage, not of an oasis, but of an entire ocean. I used a sitar for this part as it makes it sound "dreamy". When the mirage disappears the man is disappointed and flies into a fit of rage, represented musically by a distorted bass solo.

The song picks up again as before the mirage, but more alert and a blistering guitar solo represents an impending danger. The sitar picks up again, more alert, meaning the man is aware of the danger and starts picking up the pace. The guitar becomes more frantic - a sandstorm begins to form and the man is desperate to escape it. Soon, however, the storm catches up with him and his destiny is uncertain.

The song has an open ending - one can imagine the mean dead, with sands covering his corpse, or the man broken and driven insane by his ordeal, wandering the desert sands endlessly.

The entire song is haunted by eerie desert winds, and the sound of an ocean during the mirage part.

Sorry about the long description, I couldn't help myself, hehe. Also, sorry about the song being in a .mid format, I tried to record it with real instruments but the quality is crap.

Attachments

• Watchman - Sands of Desperation.rar
    4.9 KB · Views: 59

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
This is my final entry.
[...]
Sorry about the long description, I couldn't help myself, hehe. Also, sorry about the song being in a .mid format, I tried to record it with real instruments but the quality is crap.

The song is good. But I'm afraid that only the part with the sitar fits the desert theme. Anyways, it makes me feel the Iraq/Afghanistan war :). :thumbs_up:

Of course it's my opinion, I wrote this oO. I was referring to a medieval desert ambiance not fitting :D. That's why I said it's more modern. And I said it's good didn't I ? :D

Last edited:
Level 19
Here's my boring and shitty and ugly wip.
When I have more inspiration I might make something better.
Else I might just step out because with this uncreative shit I don't even want to enter.

So well a wip because I have to.
And maybe soon a completely different concept haha.

Link

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Fatality !

Description/Story/Whatever: A cult, priests of the sand, a mobile monastery wandering the desert. Their destiny is to spread the rejuvenating energy of their believed God. Their lives are threatened by unbelievers and pillagers, but the cult is ancient, devoted to protect its roots for eternity. Warrior priests fight fanatically for the keeping. Their threats remain boned under the sand. The cult never leaves the desert for the energy is it. Thus only the trained can use its rejuvenating powers.
The beginning of the song calls the priests on going further in the morning. (bozouki, pizzicato, rhythm). A pause for food and propaganda (voices). A threat approaches their senses. Fighting begins for only a short period of time for the threat is dull (strings, pizzicato rhythm). The night soon approaches and the acolytes must rest and prepare for the next day (duduk, pizzicato + coming back of the bozouki). End of Story...

Spoiler: This song was made using Propellerhead Reason 4 + Sound Reality Refills.
I do not use loops but only samples as I compose using the keyboard (digital piano keys). As you can remember I've already posted my work in process along with a screenshot.

Have a :goblin_boom: ! (blast)

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/pastebin.php?id=ga7p5n

Did I miss anything ? This should be all I guess :D (my entry that is).

Last edited:
Level 6
it was a hair style not tatoo(it actually was "sculpted" in hair)...:D...now it is covered by hair:p...my hair growth

On: I wait for your final wip:)...i was barin washed too for like 30 mins of listening:)

Level 10
This is my final entry... again. I re-recorded it with a mix of real and virtual instruments in an attempt to increase the quality. It's lacking in some places, but overall it's better.

The song is about (predictably) a man lost in the desert. The song starts slow and ominous, symbolizing the vastness and monotony of the desert. A sudden change of scale symbolizes the man's confusion, as he doesn't know where to go. A guitar solo is next, symbolizing the man's initial determination of escaping the harsh desert. The piccolo solo that follows evokes the man's uncertain destiny, as if someone is watching him from above, but doesn't know if he will survive or not. The song fades, symbolizing the passage of time.

A slower part then starts. This is a mirage, not of an oasis, but of an entire ocean. I used a sitar for this part as it makes it sound "dreamy". When the mirage disappears the man is disappointed and flies into a fit of rage, represented musically by a distorted bass solo.

The song picks up again as before the mirage, but more alert and a blistering guitar solo represents an impending danger. The sitar picks up again, more alert, meaning the man is aware of the danger and starts picking up the pace. The guitar becomes more frantic - a sandstorm begins to form and the man is desperate to escape it. Soon, however, the storm catches up with him and his destiny is uncertain.

The song has an open ending - one can imagine the mean dead, with sands covering his corpse, or the man broken and driven insane by his ordeal, wandering the desert sands endlessly.

The entire song is haunted by eerie desert winds, and the sound of an ocean during the mirage part.

Attachments

• Watchman - Sands of Desperation.rar
    5.7 MB · Views: 153
Level 23
Here it is!

The desert has long since swallowed up the concrete monoliths that dominated this world.

And yet, from somewhere, hidden in the dust, sounds a fanfare... And then nothing

It's got the wind of the desert and the extreeeeeme veeeeerb of a wide open space, the desolation of a world destroyed. Or something.

:ogre_datass:

EDIT: WIP is here. I can provide the OpenMPT file for further proof if necessary, though you'd probably lose all the VST effects.

Attachments

• FanfareForTheAshes.zip
    5.5 MB · Views: 116
Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
I'm currently installing FLstudio on my new laptop.
Creative juices are flowing and I'd like to start over on a new entry... but the deadline is awfully close and I'm wondering if you could extend the deadline for another week.
No hard feelings if this doesn't happen, just saying.

I'm not disturbed by that, besides it gives me more time to reedit my piece :D.

@Watchman: The song is flawless !, now i thought of it describing the desert but I still opt for the modern warfare type of desperation. There's a part with only wind that just cuts the song and the end is abrupt :D.

@Rao Dao Dao: Er, it's a good start, but I'm afraid it's monotonous.

Level 3
I wanna sign for Music Contest

im Confused :vw_wtf: because im DJ ( Yes i work hard in the Night )
and i have.. lets just say Basic Knowledge about Music making
is this gonna be a Problem or not , becuase i think noone here (Almost noone)
is DJ or Beat_Maker (Hip-Hop; Rap) and its like im Overpowering the others :vw_death: the Cause is my PROFESSION.
So if its not a Problem i still wanna Sign
If there is a Problem Explain it to me please and i will se what can i do about it
:vw_love:

Level 10
im Confused :vw_wtf: because im DJ ( Yes i work hard in the Night )
and i have.. lets just say Basic Knowledge about Music making
is this gonna be a Problem or not , becuase i think noone here (Almost noone)
is DJ or Beat_Maker (Hip-Hop; Rap) and its like im Overpowering the others :vw_death: the Cause is my PROFESSION.
So if its not a Problem i still wanna Sign
If there is a Problem Explain it to me please and i will se what can i do about it
:vw_love:

I'm in a band and I write all the songs there, and my piece is already finished. So you can't say there's a problem with that. But, the deadline is the day after tomorrow so that might be a problem.

Also, deepblade, that wind part cuts the song because the mirage ends suddenly and the man is confused and suddenly flies into a fit of rage. The abrupt ending is because the man dies at the end (this is in my vision, as I said, it has an open ending.)

Status
Not open for further replies.