• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Music Contest #2 - Desert

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
Is it a problem if I can't come up with a WIP? Because I usually make things in 1 session of ~2 hours or longer. After that I don't feel like working on it anymore anyway.
I can prove I made it by filming it or whatever. I'm just not the person that likes to listen to things I made after they're finished;-)
And if you don't trust me. Visit www.youtube.com/teuncreemers and you'll see some of the music I made (on cubase) for my band. (they're not live recordings, but all made with midi files)

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 12
My WIP:
By the time my friggen computer uploads this, I will most likely be done with the song, but whatever. It's a WIP.
The song uses simple instruments really. A Pan flute, a recorder, a timpani drum (for that fun playful marching tune), and some choir Aahs.
It was made using Guitar Pro 5
And I hope you really like it so far.
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/pastebin.php?id=bbuugs

(Sorry that I have it in pastebin. My pop-ups are all broken, so I am unable to reach add attachments tab. Unless a moderator can fix it, it will probably remain this way, which may cause it to be deleted over time via pastebin features [which is bad because people who search this contest later won't find it])

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Is it a problem if I can't come up with a WIP? Because I usually make things in 1 session of ~2 hours or longer. After that I don't feel like working on it anymore anyway.
I can prove I made it by filming it or whatever. I'm just not the person that likes to listen to things I made after they're finished;-)
And if you don't trust me. Visit www.youtube.com/teuncreemers and you'll see some of the music I made (on cubase) for my band. (they're not live recordings, but all made with midi files)

As WhereWolf said it's in the rules, I wanted to do the same thing...

As WhereWolf said it's in the rules, I wanted to do the same thing...

Okay I will accept other forms of proving it's your own work:
What'd be accepted:
-Filming Making part of it
-A screen shot of the score with your screen name, title and, notes from the piece clearly visible

Still, an audio WiP is preferred if it's possible

Level 6
Okay I will accept other forms of proving it's your own work:
What'd be accepted:
-Filming Making part of it
-A screen shot of the score with your screen name, title and, notes from the piece clearly visible

Still, an audio WiP is preferred if it's possible

so u wanna screens now?

It would be best if we focus on the contest and not some off topic judging thing...it is pointless to discuss something else. Just stick to the topic guys...not so hard i suppose

Amateur ? At what ?
I told you have a serious temper problem. I said I saw your previous judging and it's good. Other people said we should feel your musical talents, a fact which I agree on.
Lastly I didn't really understand much from this post I replied to, besides that it has grammar issues.
No one orders you to do anything unless it's your boss and you want to confine ? (obviously). Who's Ralle ? Now you are threatening the contestants for no reason ?

My sister read that out to me in a "whiny popular highschool bitch" voice the other day

it was hilarious :D

Anyway, sorry I haven't been watching this thread but Wherewolf's in charge here.

(Also if you try to get ralle involved, he'll just direct you to me anyway, so...)

Level 6
This is another Wip for this song

I'll further come with more Wip's in the near future, but by now this is my work

Attachments

• Desert Winds.mp3
    1.8 MB · Views: 72

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
LexAlex your second wip invokes a sunset in my head :D. It's grand as the beginning of the song [sunset in the desert then continued by your first whip which is the journey of a lazy camel :)]

Level 19
And about the abuse of music. Don't really get what you mean. Like people that might steal your work or something?

Level 6
Ok first of all i'm posting this today cuz maybe I'll forget to post this Wip tomorrow...

ok here it is...

Attachments

• Desert Winds.mp3
    2 MB · Views: 79

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Ok first of all i'm posting this today cuz maybe I'll forget to post this Wip tomorrow...

ok here it is...

Hm, the second part is unlikely to be favored instead of your first whip. However it makes me imagine either walking the Himalayan mountains or either some Egyptian slaves pulling up a hill some stones using a rope for some construction.

Level 35
I am still judging and i will judge every contestant fairly and evenly.

Since you simply insist on judging, I will show exactly why you should not. I will use the Army's judging of my piece from the previous contest for reference.

Theme [JetFangInferno - Pyrrhic Victory (Final)
- Does not match the theme at all, it has not rhythm or beat towards it, only the same beat like a piano. 17/30
- Creativity/Originality Not creative at all, this needed more warcraftish beats and sounds in it, instead of a simple piano beat and different mystery sounds. 9/20
- Dynamic/Tonation it takes a long time for the song too start, and it also doesn't sound like a victory to me till the middle of the song and it flows away at the end. 10/20
- Composition Doesn't really make sense to me at all, as in the beginning it takes so long to travel towards all the beats and sounds which are in the middle of the song. Also, it could be better as it was very boring to me. 10/30

(1) "Only the same beat like a piano." Oh someone is brilliant and can articulate that a piano solo "only has the same beat like a piano. Excuse me if this is simply not absurd.

(2) "Not creative at all." Perhaps if you knew some music theory (or were able to prove it) and paid any attention to detail, you would realize how "unique" my chord progressions and harmonies are.

(3) "This needed more warcraftish beats and sounds in it" demonstrates your bias towards rhythmic pieces and WherewolfThereworlf explicitly stated the music did not have to be FOR Warcraft. It is meant to invoke a race for Warcraft but it does not have to sound like the Warcraft soundtrack.

(4) "Mystery sounds" -- where on earth did you get mystery sounds from? My song is a sentimental piece that conveys sadness with a glimmer of hope -- no mystery there...

(5) "it takes a long time for the song too start," -- Besides grammar, do you not understand the concept of tension and release? I tried building up tension in the beginning with a slower progression moving into a faster one later for a stronger release in the end and you simply overlook this. How can one judge when one's musical vocabulary is inferior to that of the contestants?

(6) "It does not sound like a victory until the middle..." -- The song is called Pyrrhic Victory for a reason. If you grabbed a dictionary perhaps you would understand my point.

(7) "It could be better as it was very boring for me" -- Is it me or are you simply not exposed to classical music whatsoever? If you find a piano piece boring and can only pleasure pleasure ears with rhythm, why do I even try? According to WherewolfTherewolf, the judges so far "haven't exactly achieved [unbiased judgment]."

Last edited:
Level 19
about my song.
I'll post it tomorrow. A good friend is most likely comming to my place then and gonna record some stuff with him then. He has this really cool arabian instrument I don't know the name of haha. Already made what he has to play as midi, but i want it to be live to sound better.

edit: oh and add me to the contestant list please

EVERYONE:
Shut
the fack
Up

About the judges

This is done and gone, your just continuing yet another long annoying argument that threatened to ruin the entire music contest.

Seriously people, can we get through a single contest without someone causing something stupid like this?

Now get back on topic, I've asked Pyritie to clean this thread of your nonsense.

Level 10
In the first post, you have only one judge remaining at the moment. So if you want me to, I'll do judging (just one judge is too few I think). I won't have time to make a piece myself this time, but I want to support this contest and keep the hive's music community alive in any way I can. :thumbs_up:

[I don't read this thread every day normally; if you need a fast answer, PM me, please]

Last edited:
Level 25
In the first post, you have only one judge remaining at the moment. So if you want me to, I'll do judging (just one judge is too few I think). I won't have time to make a piece myself this time, but I want to support this contest and keep the hive's music community alive in any way I can. :thumbs_up:

[I don't read this thread every day normally; if you need a fast answer, PM me, please]

Awww
Loved your music during the last entry >_<
good luck next time.

Level 11
i wouldve liked to join this contest, if only i knew a lot about instruments and what sound they made... i usually just here them during a song not knowing what the instrument is called... guess it would help to know what instruments makes the right sound to make an awesome song for this competition. i guess i'll just wait for another contest i could hopefully apply for =/, cause music... thats tough for me :p hehe

Level 6
So I finally came up with a melody and am posting it (in piano solo form). However, the final product will use no piano at all. I just wanted to show a wip of the melody I have written so far.

Remembers me of the soundtrack from Age of Mythology...cool indeed...

Level 10
One week is not enough to finish your song. When I started working on it I finished it in about 2 days but it felt so damn unfinished that I had to keep working on it. I'm still working on it, 3 weeks later. So yeah, deepblade, Odin is right, you can't finish it in one week if you want to have a solid piece.

Level 2
Wow, I was going to give it a shot, but I don't really think I have what it takes. I got the beat for it, but at the current stage it's at, I don't think I'll come anywhere near winning. Ever.

Level 6
So here is my final entry...
I have no more time to work on it because of school and stuff like that(I study economy on high school, and its pretty hard:(...so I gave this a quick final touch so I can upload the final)

Attachments

• Desert Winds.mp3
    2 MB · Views: 144

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Take a ear glance at my piece (screenshot included. Don't tell me you want a shot of all the instruments:vw_unimpressed:). I'll add the details on the polished song upload post.
All I'll write now is that I'm using Propellerhead Reason 4.

Enjoy !

Attachments

• screenshotDeepstrasz.jpg
    screenshotDeepstrasz.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 99
  • deepstrasz-desertchoir.mp3
    1.3 MB · Views: 65
Level 35
I agree with you Watchman about lexalex's piece sounding a bit like a "tribal symphony" but his piece has me imagining feeling a bit lost in the desert. I think it might the instrument choice for the percussion which is making it feel more tribal than desert-like. Deepblade's piece is pretty spot-on with the theme as you said. I think the droning A really and the pizzicato-sounding instrument, with the melody, makes for a very obvious desert feel. I would like to see the piece when it is finished :)

Level 2
I like lexalex's song because it's a great background piece. It has a fast build up but unfortunately doesn't go much higher from there. It's nice and slow and gives me the feeling of a dramatic lostness in a barren land.

I also like deepblades because it, as Watchman stated, feels Arabian. It's got great instrumentals, and it gives off a great feeling of "You're in the desert". It's nice and fast paced, giving me the impression that I'm under pressure to do something... DESERT RELATED PERHAPS?

I liked both, but deepblade would get my vote when it comes to theme for sure.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
lexalex's piece sounds to me more like a "tribal symphony", while deepblade's piece makes me think of "Arabian Star Trek". Still, they're both pretty good, although I feel deepblade's piece is more spot-on the theme.

Alex's piece is desertlike to me. Its made of two parts, the first expresses somewhat of a sunset (in the desert) = a night when Egyptian slaves/workers dream horribly of the next labor day. The second part expresses the Egyptian's hard day's work. :thumbs_up:

Level 10
Alex's piece is desertlike to me. Its made of two parts, the first expresses somewhat of a sunset (in the desert) = a night when Egyptian slaves/workers dream horribly of the next labor day. The second part expresses the Egyptian's hard day's work. :thumbs_up:

You are right, but that's just what's wrong. It's supposed to be about a desert, not Egyptian slaves.

EDIT: Lil_Scubby, you can try to upload it in the pastebin and link it here. You can also attach files in the message.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
You are right, but that's just what's wrong. It's supposed to be about a desert, not Egyptian slaves.

EDIT: Lil_Scubby, you can try to upload it in the pastebin and link it here.

I see you misunderstand. Egyptians are the desert. Any place related to desert is well to fit.

@Lil Scrubby: when you click add reply, you see down at the additional options panel the button manage attachments. Click that and the result will be the opening of a window. Put your files there click upload, wait and then close the attachments window. Then you'll see your attached files in the additional options panel. Click submit reply. Voila !

Status
Not open for further replies.