• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Music Contest #5 - Futuristic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
the%20hive%20workshop.png

music.png
contest.png
number.png
5.png

iYu64K.jpg

Futuristic
Create a music piece, which expresses the futuristic theme whether it is an action oriented or a discovery oriented one. Feel free to push the boundaries.

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

• No submission may violate any of the site rules.
  • If a submission does not follow the Rules of the contest the creator will be disqualified.
  • All submissions must follow the current theme. If any musical piece does not fit, a moderator will tell you as soon as possible as to avoid confusion.
  • Your submission must be posted before the deadline. Your post must include the music in an accepted file Format (MP3, OGG, or MIDI) and an accompanying explanation of the song (i.e. explain how it fits into the theme).
  • Your submission may not be started/made before the official launch of the contest.
  • Judges may not participate.
  • Your final submission must be finished and logically conclude and start.
  • Teamwork is not allowed.
  • You may not include long periods of silence in your song - rests are allowed but using 30 seconds of continuous silence simply to fill up space is not allowed.
  • Your song must include at least 2 parts(You basically can't have an entire song containing only a single instrument soloing)
  • You must post at least 1 WiP before the deadline so your final work can be verified as your own.
  • Minimum length is 1 minute, there is no maximum length (please keep it reasonable, 20 minute entries may create the necessity for a maximum length).
  • Any method of music production is allowed, including using Sequencers, Virtual Instruments, Sound Samples (granted you provide the source of the original sound sample) and standard recording.
  • Contestants may use any program to create their music. Essentially, the only part that is judged or limited is the final product.
  • No former works can be submitted, the piece must be new and created to fit the theme.
  • All entries must be accompanied by an explanation of how the song fits into the theme.
  • Vocals can be used, though the part being judged is the overall sound. Essentially the Vocals are being treated as if they were instruments. Since this is a music contest, the sound is the product being judged, not the lyrics.
  • Though Sampling is allowed, it must be within reason:
  • If you use an instrument sound sample for a Sampling VSI (basically if you just use the sound for the instrument, and make it play your music) you must provide the source of the sound, be it a website or an individual.
  • SAMPLING COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL WITHOUT THE CONSENT OF THE OWNER IS ILLEGAL, AND WILL NOT BE TOLERATED.
  • You may use Royalty free sound samples - but you must provide the source of the sample.
  • The final song must be at least 75% of your writing - In essence, you can use a royalty free drum loop (or other form of sampled material) in your song, but if you chose to you must create enough of the other material or use in such a way that it can be said that YOU wrote 75% of the song. Samples of instruments simply to be used for a sequencer (like building a drum line out of specific drums or using a pitch altering sampler to make a melody out of a sound sample from an instrument) are exempt from the 75% rule.
prizes.png

• First Place: 40 reputation points an award icon
  • Second Place: 25 reputation points and an award icon
  • Third Place: 15 reputation points and an award icon

• 5 reputation points for each contestant

judges.png

• deepstrasz

contest%20judging%20and%20voting.png

Theme
How well does it demonstrate the feeling of the theme
/15

Creativity/Originality

How original is the piece? How creative are you with the theme/instruments/etc.

/10

Dynamic/Tonation

Basically, how well does it flow? Are accents used to good effect? Do overall levels make sense? etc.

/10

Composition

How well is it composed? Do the key changes make sense?

/15

• 75 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s)[/b]
  • 25 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll[/B]

contest%20dates%20and%20deadline.png

The contest shall begin on 26th September, 2016 and conclude on 2nd November, 2016 GMT

tips.png

Here are some free to use resources that can get you started:
  • Audacity: Free Audio recording program - though you have to start a new track every time you record (cut and paste across tracks to deal with this), this handy audio program has nearly no latency (non-noticeable) and is a great start for people recording actual instruments.
  • ModPlug Tracker: A tracker composing program. Pretty easy to use and powerful. Doesn't come with very many instruments although more are easy to get.
  • NoteWorthy Composer: Another composing program that relies heavily on sheet music.
  • FL Studio (formerly known as Fruity Loops): Another powerful composer. Has a bit of a steep learning curve and also is not free but there is a trial version you can use.
  • Switch Audio Converter: Free audio file changing program - can convert to less commenly used audio file types like RAW's and Orggis Vorbis along with the big ones like MP3's (Can convert iTunes locked format too).
  • Psycle: A free sequencer type program - similar to Mod Plug. Has a bit of a learning curve, though it's pretty powerful when used correctly.
  • Mp3 Direct Cut: Simplistic audio editing program that allows you to edit Mp3 directly, from their original file (don't forget to back up the original).
  • Krystal Audio Engine: Similar to Audacity, though this program is tooled more towards people editing or mixing music - recording can generate some terrible latency. (Essentially its more powerful then Audacity, but much more difficult to record a sound directly to it)
  • Hammerhead Rythm Station: A free drum machine that has built in sounds geared towards Electronica and Dance music. Also supports importing your own drum sounds via userbanks (some userbanks are provided on the site) and the entire sound library can be edited if you get more advanced with it - Drum parts can be exported as wav's and then used in your music. You will want to use Switch Audio engine if you plan on importing your own sounds as it only supports the RAW format.
  • Guitar Pro 5 - A popular Tab program that is capable of producing MIDI works. When used with the RSE plugins it can produce some realistic guitar/bass/drum parts. There is a trial version that allows for 15 days free - RSE can't be used in the trial version
  • Acoustica Beatcraft a drum machine that works similarly to Hammerhead but with more power (like the ability to use triplets). The free trial can be downloaded multiple times
  • FamiTracker: Sequencer for producing old school Nes/Famicon music. Music made from this can be played on an actual NES or Famicon (if you happen to know how to transfer such works to a game cartridge)
  • Suggest some more!

Another one could be Tux Guitar which is a MIDI based program like Guitar Pro with a much more simpler interface: .:: TuxGuitar ::. Open Source Tablature Editor :: TuxGuitar

Assigned Staff: Heinvers

Last edited by a moderator:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Last edited:
@Brambleclaw contest did not start just yet. Not approved either since it requires some serious structuring.
some moderator checking
Before modifying the post, cleaning and making it cohesive and approving afterwards, I would like to know how many of you would actually participate.
I would dislike seeing a dead contest from start.

Level 17
:/ Guess I'll have to restart it all over when contest actually starts then Q_Q

{kinda wanted to restart the idea anyways doesn't seem to fit the feeling}

Well Heinver we currently have 3 contestants. In this thread, and there were some more in the theme discussion threads.

Level 19
IMAGES ARE AWESOME INSPIRING

Thanks ^^

Before modifying the post, cleaning and making it cohesive and approving afterwards, I would like to know how many of you would actually participate.
I would dislike seeing a dead contest from start.

As Brambleclaw said we are 3 here, and there will be more i think, from the previous threads. Maybe Samuraid, Deepstrasz and more.. i hope

Level 17
Doesn't look much different to me, a few font size changes. It looks a lot nicer not having the stacked images though.

Bbbbbbbbut Inspiration Q_Q

Brb Downloading an internets worth of sci-fi images from google.

Level 19
Doesn't look much different to me, a few font size changes. It looks a lot nicer not having the stacked images though.

Bbbbbbbbut Inspiration Q_Q

Brb Downloading an internets worth of sci-fi images from google.

I didn't see much too but if he says so i'm down for it :p

And yeah those pics are gone :'( I guess they were the "mess" :D anyways as you said we can always search online for inspirational pics ^^

And I loved this :D:D

And for the WIP's all of them look cool guys, really but pay attention for the start of the contest.

Level 17
Welp another attempt. Still feels a bit off from what I want though ._.
Distortion was probs over the top. [defo need to reconsider this starting part ._.]

I don't understand the anime touch comment xD

Also liking what i here so far. Especially yours Stringstorm it has a nice build up ^^

Edit: I'm probably gonna scrap this idea its going nowhere Q_Q

Attachments

• Mixdown.zip
    27.7 MB · Views: 140
Last edited:
Level 15
Count me in! It may take a while to get things done because I'm currently transitioning to new software, but it sounds like a an excellent way to start learning and test out the new system.

Level 39
Hey guys, so here's what i got for the WIP. Simple made, just with some mixing. Uploading it right now because i will be on an exam.
This groove is pretty dope! Definitely 80s, reminds me of Boards of Canada - Peacock Tail.
Jumping in as well! With a 1 minute demo!

Still have no idea what to name the song, though. :/
Sounds like a futureistic spy foot chase scene to me!
Welp another attempt. Still feels a bit off from what I want though ._.
Distortion was probs over the top. [defo need to reconsider this starting part ._.]

Edit: I'm probably gonna scrap this idea its going nowhere Q_Q
That guitar line is pretty cool but it felt a little too much to me. And not super futuristic (maybe it does to you idk?) but there's always room for more music to change that! I say try to develop it and when you get something good start cutting it down to a reasonable length.

I'm interested in composing something for this contest sampling the sound of this Pulsar. Haven't started yet but I'll be back with a WIP.

Level 18
You think this is a VIP party or something? Anyone respecting the rules of the contest is welcome.
Since it doesn't seem like a WIP, a picture of your music sheet wouldn't hurt to prove it's your creation.
Last time I was here it was 3 years ago, I feel so out of place, now there's even a music contest, how awesome is that.

Okay, a moment.

Attachments

• THW.png
    THW.png
    361 KB · Views: 271
Level 39
Can I join?
Here my work

I worked on it at 26th of September, uploaded to soundcloud at 27th, then decided to remaster, so there you go :)

I go under the alias OozyGoo by the way, just to clarify things.
Omg the "skunk in the barnyard" at the end really got me good hahah!

Excellent composition! You have some really groovy syncopated lines in synths/hits/drumkit from 0:25-0:50... but the four-on-the-floor bass drum you added at 0:50 (and where it comes back at 2:11) is really in contrast to this. I understand you're doing it to build up to the 1:01 drop, but it's a massive outlier in your song-- almost nowhere else do you have a repetitive 1-2-3-4 on the bass drum. Even your intro and main 1:01 melody (awesome synth/drumkit integration on that section btw) have huge rhythmic breaks in them that give it the cool half-time feel, which I feel the hype/pre-drop bass is in stark contrast to.

Or don't change anything at all-- just my 2 cents!

Level 18
Omg the "skunk in the barnyard" at the end really got me good hahah!

Excellent composition! You have some really groovy syncopated lines in synths/hits/drumkit from 0:25-0:50... but the four-on-the-floor bass drum you added at 0:50 (and where it comes back at 2:11) is really in contrast to this. I understand you're doing it to build up to the 1:01 drop, but it's a massive outlier in your song-- almost nowhere else do you have a repetitive 1-2-3-4 on the bass drum. Even your intro and main 1:01 melody (awesome synth/drumkit integration on that section btw) have huge rhythmic breaks in them that give it the cool half-time feel, which I feel the hype/pre-drop bass is in stark contrast to.

Or don't change anything at all-- just my 2 cents!

You mean I didn't write any 1/4 x 4 beat drop? ( what do you call those anyway? )
The type of music I made is called future bass I believe, where the drop doesn't go 1-2-3-4 on the bass drum, which we typically find in most EDM tracks.

I might make another version, but I think I'll stick with future bass, appreciate it, thanks!

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
I'd love to give some feedback but I dont have that much time
What I really hope for is something absolutely weird. I mean most songs here go with a known vibe. I really want to hear an experiment.
Not saying that the current songs don't fit a futuristic theme but they're certainly with one leg in our world.

By the way guys, a really creepy thing to do when you're bored is to reverse your songs and listen to what you get. Rare might be the times when you'd be quite surprised but it's worth the time.

Last edited:
Level 18
I like what you got there, it makes me think of some fast paced hover vehicle travelling in some futuristic places :p I'd love to give some feedback but I dont have that much time :(

The idea was to give the feeling of a journey and how it feels after a journey ends, but everyone has their own way of interpreting music, that goes too I guess.

Level 39
You mean I didn't write any 1/4 x 4 beat drop? ( what do you call those anyway? )
The type of music I made is called future bass I believe, where the drop doesn't go 1-2-3-4 on the bass drum, which we typically find in most EDM tracks.

I might make another version, but I think I'll stick with future bass, appreciate it, thanks!
I like the drop not having bass on 1234! But the building up part right before the drop has bass on 1234 which I thought was weird because you don't do that on any other part of the song. That's all I'm sayin'.

By the way guys. A really creepy thing to do when you're bored is to reverse your songs and listen to what you get. Rare might be the times when you'd be quite surprised but it's worth the time.
This is a great thing to do! The first song my old funk band ever wrote was called CatstaC, which was about palindromes involving stacks of cats. One day we reversed it and loved how it sounded so now the whole song is performed forward then reflects around a final hit and is played in reverse back to the beginning! It is known as CatstaCatstaC.

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Edit: wc3c didn't auto-do links. This website is too user-friendly for me!
Hey you! Don't get cocky here a'right?

So, what instrument(s) are you playing? Do you also do main or background vocals?
I suppose you guys have the Red Hot Chili Peppers as inspiration among others?
I really like humour that goes with music especially in funk, a happy genre.

It's pretty groovy what you guys do. I'm sure it's not actually something spontaneous all the time and rehearsing is quite a thing of the week.
my old funk band
What's the new one? I mean I see you've released songs this year and you're not even at the eve of oldness :D
atstaCatstac
Hmm. This really sounds like it's actually played backwards instead of being digitally reversed.

How can we make America funk again? Would Porky as president ensure that? Should we use a trump or a clint to help out?

Last edited:
Level 18
I like the drop not having bass on 1234! But the building up part right before the drop has bass on 1234 which I thought was weird because you don't do that on any other part of the song. That's all I'm sayin'.

Oh, my bad, my music vocabulary isn't that large.

Porky's Groove Machine - Bandcamp
CatstaC: Catstac, by Porky's Groove Machine
atstaCatstac (miscapitalized): catstaCatstac, by Porky's Groove Machine

I play alto sax but only on the first 3 albums. Had to move away from Wisconsin for engineering :|

Edit: wc3c didn't auto-do links. This website is too user-friendly for me!

It's been like forever since I last listened to 'actual' songs, kinda refreshes me a bit.

Level 39
This really sounds like it's actually played backwards instead of being digitally reversed.
It is being played backwards! One take for the whole song, no reversal.
So, what instrument(s) are you playing? Do you also do main or background vocals?
I suppose you guys have the Red Chili Peppers as inspiration among others?
I really like humour that goes with music especially in funk, a happy genre.
Porky's was formed in college and while a bunch of them kept living in Wisconsin/Chicago I couldn't stay. Moved to Los Angeles for a master's in Astronautical Engineering (I promise I'm not a clone of Dusk sent here to infiltrate your ranks) but they've kept performing. The group is more of a collecitve now as people rotate out when they're not close enough to the core band to play. We all recently recorded a video for the 2016 Tiny Desk competition; each part done separately wherever we were! I'm playing alto sax second from the bottom on in the third column, and have only occasionally sung vocals on songs. Otherwise I'm only on the first 3 Bandcamp albums.
What's the new one? I mean I see you've released songs this year and you're not even at the eve of oldness :D
I met some cool people on craigslist and have been jamming funk + whatever with them for a while, which has been pretty fun. Nothing uploaded yet but I have lots of recordings of our rehearsals. Oh and I will be singing a bit more with them, maybe writing some <generic funk lyrics>. Heh
How can we make America funk again? Would Porky as president ensure that?
Porky is already a sworn servant of the funk, so as president he would be compelled to do everything in his power to funkify the US. No doubt, all previously regular turkeys would be turned into jive turkeys under President Porky--nay, entire groups of women would spontaneously become brick houses and all booties would be allowed to move freely to any grooves they perceive! For an in-depth bio of the presidential candidate, read "The Saga of Porky's Groove Machine" on this page.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
I promise I'm not a clone of Dusk sent here to infiltrate your ranks
....what!? Who/what's that?
Moved to Los Angeles for a master's in Astronautical Engineering
Oh man... parting ways with friends sucks.
We all recently recorded
That's like watching it 12 times to see the whole movie. What's with the green goblin? Does he play any instruments?
I'm playing alto sax second from the bottom on in the third column
You're Travis, the stylish dude?
"The Saga of Porky's Groove Machine"
Who's the writer for the webpage? Why Sauron? Other names seem original.

About the world of funk, did you know these soundtracks?

People, this as inspiration, maybe:
(retrofuturism)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Music Contests archive, in case anyone is curious:
Music Contest #4 - Comedy

Music Contest #3 - Results
Music Contest #3 - Schizophrenia

Music Contest #2 - Results
Music Contest #2 - Desert

Music Contest #1 - Results
Music Contest #1

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.