• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Music Contest #7 - Location

Status
Not open for further replies.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
That's rain dude LOL. The piece is about atmosphere not instrumentation.
Might be but to me it sounds like old TV grey spots noise over the whole song.

==============================================================

People, better put a screenshot of your worksheet as @Devine did, for proof.

By the way @Devine you've got some silence at the end of the song :D

Level 22
Another WiP, this one is significantly improved, I feel.

I feel like y'all are going to say the beginning is still startling but uhhh, I mean I listen to death metal so it doesn't feel startling to me. It feels pretty chill.

I'M GIVING YOU A NIGHTCALL TO TELL YOU HOW I FEEEEELLL

Attachments

• City of Lights 6_11_17.mp3
    8.3 MB · Views: 62
Level 22
That's really dependent upon the genre of music, my friend.

A song with a simple arrangement will usually only have a verse and a chorus, both repeated several times.

My song is already 3 minutes and 36 seconds which is plenty long enough, so I don't think I'll be making it longer, but maybe a bit more varied.

The more you break away from the original idea, the more you lose the romantic flow of it, the monotony gives it a soothing vibe, at least to me and that's the intention. This was written in the midst of a break up, not even really a break up, but we can't see each other anymore, anyway we used to ride around in her car late at night, through the city, 3 am, etc, it was very serene and songs like Nightcall or Far by the Soft Moon always reminded me of these memories. Anyway that's all I'm trying to capture, I want it to convey a single consistent feeling of reminiscence and the peacefulness of driving in the late hours of the evening.

Level 22
Again, I just don't want to break up the original theme too much.

Edit: Last WiP for a while.

Edit: Also proof it's me, you goons.

Attachments

• City of Lights 6_11_17 [2].mp3
    8.1 MB · Views: 69
  • aaaaaa.jpg
    aaaaaa.jpg
    343.5 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Level 28
Hi, according to contest rules, a WIP must be provided in order to verify that the work belongs to the submitter.
It is a final work and it was finished in two days, in a WIP version I simply turned additional instruments off, as I don't render anything until it's ~95% finished.

Look The J, I see your point -- you may indeed have done everything right, however posting both the WIP and the final submission in the same post tends to cause controversy. But that's okay because it isn't against the contest rules, so your entry was considered and added to the entries just as the other ones. Lovely calming music by the way.

Also, even though it isn't obligatory, anyone can post a screenshot (preferrably with the starting time of the project on screen) as mentioned:

People, better put a screenshot of your worksheet as @Devine did, for proof.

I've seen people doing this since last contest (if I'm not mistaken), however it wasn't in the rules then. Might be a good idea to add it to the rules of future contests so we can know the project started after the contest has begun, if you guys agree.

Level 4
Edit: @Devine, I wish I had his quality production.
The sound quality you've got is actually something that can be significantly improved with little and simple work.
Here's a reference I would pick (you can use any track you want):
1. Just import it in your project and A/B until you get close to the reference sound. Once you understand the logics behind the mix, sound design and composition of the track, you'll be able to orient freely in the mix and get the sound in accordance with your own taste.
2. Try to mix the whole track in mono, until it sounds good to you, then carefully expand the panorama for different instruments.
3. Use wide and big soundscapes in contrast with narrow and small sounds. If everything is wide, it's perceived like nothing is.
I attached an example of how you can construct your mix by putting the sounds against each other to create a dynamic mix. Notice how the lead synth and guitar are kept dead mono in contrast to special effects in order to create an illusion of a wider, more open space.
Now listen to the song I attached as a suggested reference and notice how he does the same thing by using multiple mono synths, to balance against SFXs and create a solid center.

Look The J, I see your point -- you may indeed have done everything right, however posting both the WIP and the final submission in the same post tends to cause controversy. But that's okay because it isn't against the contest rules, so your entry was considered and added to the entries just as the other ones. Lovely calming music by the way.

Also, even though it isn't obligatory, anyone can post a screenshot (preferrably with the starting time of the project on screen) as mentioned:
Thank you, here's a screenshot.
tJQPn9GwCT0.jpg

Attachments

• intro-drop-b.mp3
    1.6 MB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Level 22
I don't mean to undercut your throwing me tips, because I know a lot of guys, when you throw them tips, they act pompous and tell you how good they are at producing music when they're really fucking garbage, so don't take me that way, I'm not doing that. I've actually got about 4~ years of production experience at my little home studio, though I've done mostly metal for the duration of that time, I know pretty much every single basic trick, especially mixing in mono and then expanding (that's exactly how I did this track). I'd encourage you to listen to my last upload, I think it's pretty good overall, I want to hear how it sounds in my car stereo, I intentionally boosted the fuck out of the bass and I want to see if it translates well in my car.

Edit: I just listened to your track, and this is damn good. I think you might be going a little Rick Rubin though, I feel like as soon as the verse hits (where it cuts out) it's going to go brickwall mode and hit 0db and become uncomfortable to listen to.

Edit: I just realized my screenshot doesn't have a timestamp in it, I'm honestly not sure where studio one puts those.

Edit: Further elaborating what I meant when I said I wish I had Kavinsky's quality of sound, I was really talking about his synths, he has good ass synths, everything sounds good if you have a decent melody and good ass synths. Most of the digital synths I've used have been a dumpster fire.

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
I've seen people doing this since last contest (if I'm not mistaken), however it wasn't in the rules then. Might be a good idea to add it to the rules of future contests so we can know the project started after the contest has begun, if you guys agree.
Mandatory. Aye.
Obligatory.
Well, see, it's pretty diverse. However, the voice, surely could do without.
Thank you, here's a screenshot.
Goddoms, hide your screenshot man, it's huge. Use [ spoiler] image here [/ spoiler] (without the spaces).
That picture isn't quite convincing especially when it says Devine on it.

Last edited:
Level 4
I don't mean to undercut your throwing me tips, because I know a lot of guys, when you throw them tips, they act pompous and tell you how good they are at producing music when they're really fucking garbage, so don't take me that way, I'm not doing that. I've actually got about 4~ years of production experience at my little home studio, though I've done mostly metal for the duration of that time, I know pretty much every single basic trick, especially mixing in mono and then expanding (that's exactly how I did this track).
You actually don't sound like you started yesterday, so the amount of effort you've invested over time is pretty audible. Good job.
Regarding this whole mono/stereo thing, I think it's something to constantly work on. When I transitioned from metal to not-so-metal music, the depths of how to approach panorama appeared overwhelming.

Mixing is about "how you do it", rather than "what you do", so you'll improve everyday at the most basic techniques. Just import a reference and do A/B.
You can even come up with Kavinsky-like synth sounds with your digital synths, it's just a matter of time and attention to details.

I'd encourage you to listen to my last upload, I think it's pretty good overall.
My previous comment was on your last upload.

Edit: I just listened to your track, and this is damn good. I think you might be going a little Rick Rubin though, I feel like as soon as the verse hits (where it cuts out) it's going to go brickwall mode and hit 0db and become uncomfortable to listen to.
Thank you. I don't use brickwall compression.

That picture isn't quite convincing especially when it says Devine on it.
Well, Devine is my last name and anyone can check the notes to make sure it is the same work as I posted.

Level 30
My WIP. Bass probably a bit loud.
Imagine wandering along some deserted beach, hm yea.

Cool tune! What's going on on that bassguitar? It almost sounds like there's tv playing somewhere in the background.
Balance is okay. Some reverbs could be cool, and also there's a tick at 1:07 and 1:16.
Your strings don't sound very organic, next to the recordings.

Level 22
This is probably my final submission, though I don't particularly like the harmony at the end and I may change that. I used some royalty free samples, I have no idea where I got the rain though as I've had it in a folder for years (sorry idk? it's rain, is it going to be important to credit someone for a rain sample?) as for the other samples....

Electric Windows Roll Down Sounds | Effects | Sound Bites | Sound Clips from SoundBible.com
Siren Sounds | Effects | Sound Bites | Sound Clips from SoundBible.com
http://soundbible.com/932-Gear-Shift-Into-Drive.html
http://soundbible.com/1697-Train-Wheels-Grinding.html
http://soundbible.com/816-Electric-Windows-Roll-Down.html

Attachments

• City of Lights 6_13_17 .mp3
    8.3 MB · Views: 154
Level 22
My friend. I think you already had this argument with someone else. Nowhere in the rules does it say we even need to post screenshots. Secondly, I changed the entire time signature from one WiP, I changed the album to "Hive Workshop Music Contest #7," I've listed every sample I used (how would I know exactly what samples were used if it was plagiarism,) I've changed the structure of the song, removing silence from the end of the first verse/chorus. I don't think I need to really prove that I wrote this anymore than I already have. If Naze says he wants me to, ok but I think I've more than proven that my piece is my own.

Level 11
As a musician this is rather exciting.
My only thought is it seems the 'theme' has quite a massive range. I don't understand how comparisons and such could be made between a single piece of music.

Because of the lengthy deadline I might actually give this a shot, been a while since I've created anything which isn't mainstream music. (although I suppose if my area was a club....)

Level 28
Here's my second WIP.

I enjoyed the buildup phase very much (much more than the end tbh). I guess that's because after the middle of the track it quits being such a melodic tune and goes a bit more percussive. Expecting to see what you'll bring next, it sounds too much like a WIP atm.

My only thought is it seems the 'theme' has quite a massive range. I don't understand how comparisons and such could be made between a single piece of music.

Well we have the guidelines to analyze the songs individually (theme/creativity/production/composition). Helps being less subjective/arbitrary.

Level 9
First WIP,am kinda experimenting on this one,first time doing a vocal (just singing Oh Ah Eh and etc)on one of my tracks (am recording on my laptop's onboard mic,so not very high quality,you may notice a ''humming'' as the voice comes in,though i tried my best to remove such humming),on another note ive been kind of stuck in this song,cant seem to think of anything or a way to continue it for a while,so there's a chance i may not finish it.

Attachments

• Ignus Vitae(Tree of Life) WIP.mp3
    2.1 MB · Views: 58
Level 30
First WIP,am kinda experimenting on this one,first time doing a vocal (just singing Oh Ah Eh and etc)on one of my tracks (am recording on my laptop's onboard mic,so not very high quality,you may notice a ''humming'' as the voice comes in,though i tried my best to remove such humming),on another note ive been kind of stuck in this song,cant seem to think of anything or a way to continue it for a while,so there's a chance i may not finish it.
Sounds great! Hey, maybe the onsets of the instruments at 0:40 to 1:00 are a bit too hard/intense compared to the rest of the arrangement in this segment. I'd take it a bit slower, you know, but that's your decision really.
I would also suggest you add some more reverb and delays on your voice, lots of feedback on that delay to really give it that dreamy, ambient sound.

Level 9
Sounds great! Hey, maybe the onsets of the instruments at 0:40 to 1:00 are a bit too hard/intense compared to the rest of the arrangement in this segment. I'd take it a bit slower, you know, but that's your decision really.
I would also suggest you add some more reverb and delays on your voice, lots of feedback on that delay to really give it that dreamy, ambient sound.

I think i will keep the intensity(at least for now,as making such part softer makes the track sound a bit less ''dynamic'',as it would stay soft all the time,though i may just remake the intro completely as it feels a bit too soundtrack-ish)

Im still trying out the reverbs on the vocal,still couldnt find an effective one,though ive added a delay as you suggested and it worked very well,thanks!

EDIT: By the way could i suggest a few more additions to the ''Tips'' Section? I have a few suggestions that might help people get a better sound.

Download Free Digital Audio Workstation plug-in: Podium Free by Zynewave its in the DAW list but i feel its better than most options,FL Studio is good but not being able to save a project is a big minus
Komplete : Samplers : Kontakt 5 Player | Products Very good and comes with a bunch of good stuff already,plus just googling ''Free Kontakt player libraries'' and you'll find a lot of stuff no doubt
Ultimate List of Free Kontakt Libraries A list of free libraries for kontakt.Be aware though,not all kontakt libraries will play on the kontakt player,some will play in demo mode as they require the full kontakt version,others will play normally
bigcat Instruments This guy makes a lot of good stuff for kontakt,free.

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
A little something I'm experimenting with my new recording gear.
I'm having problems syncing tracks with Audacity due to latency during recording.
I'd like to have a guitar in my submission. I'll see how it'll work out...

EDIT: so, this is my wannabe WiP (heathenland).

Attachments

• guitarRecordingTestAudacity.mp3
    2.1 MB · Views: 63
  • mc7proof.png
    mc7proof.png
    354.1 KB · Views: 85
  • heathenland.mp3
    4.3 MB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Level 28
EDIT: so, this is my wannabe WiP (heathenland).

So that's your composition? I really enjoyed it. However the production/execution becomes a little too sloppy to my taste after the middle of the song. You should work on that, it ruins a very pleasant melody.

Better version deleting cuts adding reverb to get better ending

I like the sound you're getting. Reminds me of the ambient works of some Jonsi&Alex, but little bit "darker". I'm not sure I enjoy the two chords you presented us though, but it is too much of a WIP as it is now for me to give an actual opinion.

Level 7
So that's your composition? I really enjoyed it. However the production/execution becomes a little too sloppy to my taste after the middle of the song. You should work on that, it ruins a very pleasant melody.

I like the sound you're getting. Reminds me of the ambient works of some Jonsi&Alex, but little bit "darker". I'm not sure I enjoy the two chords you presented us though, but it is too much of a WIP as it is now for me to give an actual opinion.

In ambient music number of chords isnt important, it's not a jazz track with 14 chords...

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
So that's your composition?
I'm working on it :D
However the production/execution becomes a little too sloppy to my taste after the middle of the song. You should work on that, it ruins a very pleasant melody.
:D hehe blame my hating monotony and not being able to sustain one mood :)
By the way, do you mean the part where it ends with a snare and then starts with artificial distorsion? That's the unrefined part? I have to properly connect those two.

Still in WiP phase (@Naze tell me how much I destroyed it this time :p):

Attachments

• heathenland.mp3
    9.3 MB · Views: 48
Level 19
Here's a WIP guys, hope you like it :p

The composition is inspired by magical and eerie, supreme places, such as; Hogvarts castle, Drangleic Castle(when it was in its former un-undead state). It has a fairy feel while giving a strong sensation of something big is coming. Something very powerful and vast.

Attachments

• Magical WalkingVer1.mp3
    1.5 MB · Views: 55
  • proofMC7.png
    proofMC7.png
    772.3 KB · Views: 57
Level 28
Still in WiP phase (@Naze tell me how much I destroyed it this time :p):
Amazing buildup! I really enjoyed listening to it. In my opinion the songwriting got better too, I felt as if there is now a more evident cohesion between the themes from the 1st and 2nd part than what you showed in your 1st WIP. Yes, the second part sounds better produced than before, that's good. But it still isn't perfect, some frequencies don't seem alright for me. I can't really help though since I'm as noob as it gets in this, haha.

The composition is inspired by magical and eerie, supreme places, such as; Hogvarts castle, Drangleic Castle(when it was in its former un-undead state). It has a fairy feel while giving a strong sensation of something big is coming. Something very powerful and vast.

Sounds really cool. You built the ambientation (if this word actually exists) really well, it was very immersive for me. Nice WIP!

Status
Not open for further replies.