• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Music Contest #2 - Desert

Status
Not open for further replies.
the%20hive%20workshop.png

music.png
competition.png
number.png
2.png

Environment: Desert
Make a piece of music that expresses the environment of a desert.

attachment.php

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

• No submission may violate any of the site rules.
  • If a submission does not follow the Rules of the contest the creator will be disqualified.
  • All submissions must follow the current theme. If any musical piece does not fit, a moderator will tell you as soon as possible as to avoid confusion.
  • Your submission must be posted before the deadline. Your post must include the music in an accepted file Format (MP3, OGG, or MIDI) and an accompanying explanation of the song (i.e. explain how it fits into the theme).
  • Your submission may not be started/made before the official launch of the contest.
  • Judges may not participate.
  • Your final submission must be finished and logically conclude and start.
  • Teamwork is not allowed.
  • You may not include long periods of silence in your song - rests are allowed but using 30 seconds of continuous silence simply to fill up space is not allowed.
  • Your song must include at least 2 parts(You basically can't have an entire song containing only a single instrument soloing)
  • You must post at least 1 WiP before the deadline so your final work can be verified as your own.
  • Minimum length is 1 minute, there is no maximum length (please keep it reasonable, 20 minute entries may create the necessity for a maximum length).
  • Any method of music production is allowed, including using Sequencers, Virtual Instruments, Sound Samples (granted you provide the source of the original sound sample) and standard recording.
  • Contestants may use any program to create their music. Essentially, the only part that is judged or limited is the final product.
  • No former works can be submitted, the piece must be new and created to fit the theme.
  • All entries must be accompanied by an explanation of how the song fits into the theme.
  • Vocals can be used, though the part being judged is the overall sound. Essentially the Vocals are being treated as if they were Instruments. Since this is a music contest, the sound is the product being judged, not the lyrics.
  • Though Sampling is allowed, it must be within reason:
  1. If you use an instrument sound sample for a Sampling VSI (basically if you just use the sound for the instrument, and make it play your music) you must provide the source of the sound, be it a website or an individual.
  2. SAMPLING COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL WITHOUT THE CONSENT OF THE OWNER IS ILLEGAL, AND WILL NOT BE TOLERATED.
  3. You may use Royalty free sound samples - but you must provide the source of the sample.
  4. The final song must be at least 75% of your writing - In essence, you can use a royalty free drum loop (or other form of sampled material) in your song, but if you chose to you must create enough of the other material or use in such a way that it can be said that YOU wrote 75% of the song. Samples of instruments simply to be used for a sequencer (like building a drum line out of specific drums or using a pitch altering sampler to make a melody out of a sound sample from an instrument) are exempt from the 75% rule.

prizes.png

• First Place: 40 reputation points an award icon
  • Second Place: 25 reputation points and an award icon
  • Third Place: 15 reputation points and an award icon

judges.png

• Nara-Shikamaru
  • Waldbear
  • Tell us if you want to be a judge

contest%20judging%20and%20voting.png

Theme
How well does it demonstrate the feeling of a desert/15

Creativity/Originality
How original is the piece? How creative are you with the theme/instruments/etc./10

Dynamic/Tonation
Basically, how well does it flow? Are accents used to good effect? Do overall levels make sense? etc./10

Composition
How well is it composed? Do the key changes make sense?/15
Final points will be determined 75% by judging and 25% by poll

contest%20dates%20and%20deadline.png

All submissions must be complete and submitted 5 weeks after the contest is started.
The contest shall begin on Tuesday, 24th August and conclude on Friday, 24th September, 11:59 PM, 2010 GMT

Current Contestants
  • Devine
  • Watchman
  • Cpt.Znack
  • HappyTauren
  • HappyCockroach
  • lexalex
  • JetFangInferno
  • deepblade
  • ZippeR
  • Teuncreamers
  • Lil_Scubby
- please notify me or one of the judges if you drop out, a post in this thread is fine - more are still welcome to join

tips.png

If you need a music program to get you started, a list of free/nearly free programs were included in the last contest thread which can be found here:
Resources are at the bottom of the first post

Attachments

• Sailing_The_Desert_by_Gate_To_NowhereResized.jpg
    Sailing_The_Desert_by_Gate_To_NowhereResized.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
Level 2
Can I be a judge, i usually sit back and like to just listen to the music, maybe now i can give some constructive critisizm to some great song writers,

Level 15
I'm actually studying a bachelor of arts in the field of music industry, we prioritize in music technology and composition to create meaning and communication. If I don't get time to make an entry, I'd probably be a good judge for a competition like this.

There's a list of free/nearly free tools to use at the bottom of the post in the first contest (look at the bottom of this one, there's a link to it there)

so do our wips have to be in a file format?

Well I guess a wip doesn't have to be in any specific format, but something normal (something like mp3 or a youtube vid) would be convenient

With a torrent, yes! Otherwise there's the free 31 day trial for ableton live, I used that for a few of my assignments and it's been fine within those time parameters.
hell yeah! I just borrowed Fruity Loops Studio 8 from some friends out there in the internet :cute:
I think I'll participate.

just did some nonsense experimentation based off bohemian rhapsody :p

EDIT: if I don't do anything else, this is my final entry.

Attachments

• BohemianShit.mp3
    605.2 KB · Views: 123
Level 30
I are the enter.
Free wips for the every.

Edit: On a more serious sidenote, I was going for a slow and moody electro track... But I kinda fucked up badly and did something... I don't even want to describe it. Download and see for yourself.
Edit: My brother laughed as he thought I was trolling you guys. =/

Attachments

• desertsawng Wip 1lol.mp3
    908.6 KB · Views: 93
Level 13
I are the enter.
Free wips for the every.

Edit: On a more serious sidenote, I was going for a slow and moody electro track... But I kinda fucked up badly and did something... I don't even want to describe it. Download and see for yourself.
Edit: My brother laughed as he thought I was trolling you guys. =/

OMG DIS BE TROLL, SUMONE GET A RIFLE AND SHOOT HIM

seriously: that. isn't. desert. music.

Level 30
seriously: that. isn't. desert. music.

I used distorted/noizy synths because they kinda remind me of the sand and the wind and the sand and the sand and stuff. Seriously. If you're really that narrow minded, you should rid your existence with a spoon or possibly something even more blunt. I'm not kidding.
If the only kind of desert music we're getting here is some arabic dude singing about his love for Allah, followed by a flute solo and after that some more fantastic arab singing, our contest would be a failure.
New kinds of music exist, deal with it and I'd rather stick to my style than making something I don't even like.

Lol and how sir does that express the feeling of a desert?
the bohemian rhapsody has those smooth backvocals that resemble the blowing of the wind in the desert surface, and the end, with high pitch represents the harsh heat coming from sun against the sand.
Deal with the fact that my entry can fit the desert, cause I'll stick with it. :spell_breaker:

Level 12
First wip:

This piece is set in a mystical desert, forgotten by time. It tells the story of a group of tribesmen who set off across the desert to reach the sacred place of their serpent god, Narim, bringer of rain, and offer him a sacrifice.

The beginning of the piece is based on a drone on the pitch of G, and is meant to evoke the desert. As nighttime ends, and the sun begins to rise, the desert wind blows in from afar. Our tribesmen set off on their journey. In this opening part, you will hear what I call the "snake theme," the main recurring theme of the work. After a hit from the percussion, and a brief silence, the piece turns into a "desert march" if you will, as the tribesmen journey across the sweltering, barren desert. The gong at the end of this segment will lead into the next part, in which the tribesmen enter the sacred place of Narim, an area of the desert filled with tall, magnificent rock formations.

Let me know what you think.

Attachments

• Desert of the Viper.mp3
    2.7 MB · Views: 81
Level 15
the problem with a music competition is that each piece is HIGHLY open to interpretation. It would make sense if each contestant added a 200-300 word document explaining their rationale for the final piece and why they've included what they have, that way there's no poostorm of 'wtf that's not a desert'.

the problem with a music competition is that each piece is HIGHLY open to interpretation. It would make sense if each contestant added a 200-300 word document explaining their rationale for the final piece and why they've included what they have, that way there's no poostorm of 'wtf that's not a desert'.

Unless it was removed from the rules I believe there is a rule requiring you to accompany your work with a written explanation.

Also Cockroach's piece doesn't work regardless as it's not his own original work
(not directly at you Dubs, but I want to make this clear)

Level 15
Unless it was removed from the rules I believe there is a rule requiring you to accompany your work with a written explanation.

Also Cockroach's piece doesn't work regardless as it's not his own original work
(not directly at you Dubs, but I want to make this clear)

OP :hohum:. Sorry, I re-read the rules and it was quite hidden amongst the other bigger, more flamboyant rules. I'll just be quiet for a while now until i have some progress to show...

Level 13
Well, you can have a desert-themed track without Arabs singing and just Arabian-style music.

It doesn't need to be arabian styled music...

I'll link some desert-like songs from youtube just to get you guys on the right track ;)

zelda TP(fauvorite game), Gerudo desert: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QqdlXtTIjE&feature=related

Medieval II, Total war (also one of my fauvorite game): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3F2tCjTwK4

Diablo 2( yet another fauvorite game): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdY2MxMo4-k&feature=related

Of course you should make your own music, but i want you guys to know what desert music is. For example happycockroach's entry (dunno if he is serious) is not desert music but bohemian rhapsody is an awesome song :), desert music often involves a wind blowing in the background, fast paced drums playing in different tones and several horn instruments or string instruments like guitar.

Status
Not open for further replies.