• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Music Contest #2 - Desert

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
Hey, nice to see that you are productive. :thumbs_up:

There are already some entries here which are marked "final" if I understood you correctly. I'm very happy to see these although we still have more than two days left (I hope I got the times correctly)!

Here are the (final) entries I collected so far (correct me if I missed somebody or a link does not work):
- deepblade
- Rao Dao Zao
- Watchman

Officially declared WiPs are not mentioned here at the moment. I think it should be allowed that also these guys may upload another "final" entry before the deadline, but since we already have 3 potential final entries, I think it would be unfair to these people who hurried up, if we extended the deadline now.

Since I am now officially written as judge (according to the first post), I won't give you feedback to your pieces before the deadline to remain as neutral as possible. :wink:

@Magnum666: We'll be happy to see you entering the contest and I'm very interested to see (well, listen) how you'll put the desert theme into a "hiphoppish" piece. But keep in mind these things:
- don't forget to post a Work in Progress (WiP) or an equivalent provement that your entry is your own work.
- post your final with a short explanation/comment before Friday, 24th September, 11:59 PM, 2010 GMT

Level 10
OK, new try for the submissions list:
- deepblade
- Derkath (link to music file broken/outdated; does anybody have it? I sent a PM to him, too)
- lexalex
- Rao Dao Zao
- Watchman
- ZippeR

I did not check for any WiPs until now. Probably it would be the best if you could link to your WiPs/equivalent proofs in your "final entry" posts. Then everybody who wants to can easily see that you are the creator if he thinks the piece is too good for you. :wink:

Level 7
Well, I thought i would join just for the shitz'n'gigglez. I just got into making/composing music, so this is kinda... noobish. It's my 3rd try actually. I didn't want to make a desertish melody, but it turned out to remind of the desert... kinda. Well, it sucks, but meh... Primitive program... -.-"

Ok, since it was saved in WMA, you must press right button, then Save link as... and then save it. Listen to it, and tell me your opinion. Here. Ok. So... I can imagine if you enter a shop or something in a desert, this music is played... Pretty much like zelda64's bazaar.

@ZippeR: What program did you use? Please... I want to use something better.

Last edited:
Level 30
Final Entry

The Desert of banland
My piece tells the story of a boy named Jack.
Jack was a simple boy from the town of chatville who loved to rock and drink lots of beer. But his wild behaviour had caused a lot of pain in the town of chatville and Jack got bannished from his beloved hometown. Jack was deported to the desert of banland where he would have to stay for 3 whole years. Everyone was sad to see Jack leave but they had no choice. They could only hope for Jack to change his ways once he returned.
Jack's happy life, before his ban, is depicted by part with the strings in the beginning. The deportation of Jack is shown by the second violin part and Jack's feelings (sadness) are shown by the piano chords right after. The vague memory of Jack's good old life in chatville is depicted by the trombone playing the same melody as in the beginning. But the memory is fading away and Jack forgets most of the stuff that went around in chatville (I tried to make this clear by changing the melody in the end and by making it seem a whole lot less hopeful). When Jack realizes that the only thing he has left, his memories, are fading away and he doesn't want to sit the ban out any longer, he goes through an emotional crisis and he collapses (Depicted by climax of the strings). Jack goes completely nuts. Completely. Everything is fucked up in his head. In his solitude, he starts to believe he's the last man alive but when he encounters another human being in banland, named Tommy Reddnack, he decides to end it all and he commits suicide because he's really crazy and all that. Sad story :(.

I didn't really take the theme of "environmental desert" litterally and I kinda used solitude, a main aspect of the desert, in my piece.
I hope you guys take this seriously even though, I can imagine, it's not very desert-ish and it's very short due to me starting over, to do something entirely new. For those who don't frequent the chat, the boy named jack is an allegory of myself; I was banned from the chat for doing things I shouldn't have done and now I'm banned for 3 months. Jack killed himself, but I won't :D. Don't worry. I sent WherewolfTherewolf a WIP of my piece yesterday and if you're not convinced, I can always upload a screenshot of the pianoroll in FL-studio.
Cheers! May the best composer win :D

Attachments

• Desert of banland Final version.mp3
    4.7 MB · Views: 185
Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Devine, I like your style, multi arpeggio and stuff :D. 'Tis not finished though. I don't feel the desert when I hear it, something more like highlands, tavern or a village in some woods. :D

Jaret: That piano SERIOUSLY needs to be replace with strings or something. It fits the theme somehow though it doesn't lead me anywhere but a belly dance or a drunk camel walk away.

Level 30
Devine, I like your style, multi arpeggio and stuff :D. 'Tis not finished though. I don't feel the desert when I hear it, something more like highlands, tavern or a village in some woods. :D

I started working on this yesterday at like 1 am.
:D I really haven't put that much time in it yet. I can still update this post if I edit my piece some more.

Level 7
@Deepblade: it's my fucking program. There's no piano in here. It was supposed to be a harp, at least the program says it is one. Thanks for suggestion, i just love mixing music, well, just begun loving mixing music. If it was for a forest theme, or something just Rocker-ish, then I would have better cards. I made a good forest-jungle happy music theme the other day :)

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
I did not check for any WiPs until now. Probably it would be the best if you could link to your WiPs/equivalent proofs in your "final entry" posts. Then everybody who wants to can easily see that you are the creator if he thinks the piece is too good for you. :wink:

Dude, all of the WIP are in early posts, don't expect us to post them again. That'll be double post...
Linking to it is double post !

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Level 30
Thanks for the feedback. Glad you like it.
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/arena-226/music-contest-2-desert-176924/index14.html#post1713186
Probably the last update. I used a piano to end the song this time and hopefully made it sound less abrupt. I think I've done a good job considering the fact that I never did any music course whatsoever and all the musical knowledge I've got comes from listening to mozart and bach etc... About the theme, I kinda didn't follow the litteral meaning of desert, I agree. But as stated before, I used the solitude theme. Hope that counts too :D
I also included a screenshot of the whole thing in FL-studio to avoid drama. Yes, I wrote it all in one patern. "Strings 2" could be deleted, really, if I pasted it all in the first channel, it'd sound exactly the same.

Attachments

• Screenshot.PNG
    Screenshot.PNG
    95.8 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Banland Reloaded: Still don't like the end. The trombone just coughs there and then the piano comes out of nowhere. Leave the trombone's sadistic solo to play while it fades and meanwhile the piano comes with ascending velocity ?
And you asked me why I said you've got musical talent. I can't believe you've just placed some notes there to fit the tempo. If you haven't had any musical lessons that doesn't mean you shouldn't be able to compose. I only had 3 or 4 years of guitar training but I can't write music on notes (I don't have the necessary time to learn music "mathematics"), I make it by ear and heart.

@JetFangInferno: You've made too much noise already, so it's a must that you bring us your piece.

Level 30
@Devine: I really love the ending you added. This one's really good. Especially love the parts with the Trombone. Great job, just as always you do :).
Thanks, that's one hell of a compliment :)

Banland Reloaded: Still don't like the end. The trombone just coughs there and then the piano comes out of nowhere. Leave the trombone's sadistic solo to play while it fades and meanwhile the piano comes with ascending velocity ?
And you asked me why I said you've got musical talent. I can't believe you've just placed some notes there to fit the tempo. If you haven't had any musical lessons that doesn't mean you shouldn't be able to compose. I only had 3 or 4 years of guitar training but I can't write music on notes (I don't have the necessary time to learn music "mathematics"), I make it by ear and heart.
I edited it some more and changed the ending so that the piano comes in earlier, while the trombone's still fading out. Also changed some melodies.
The reason, I think, my entry is not a complete failure is because of WherewolfTherewolf's input in my older compositions/tracks. He has taught me a lot over the last 5 months. I've also played around with dissonants for the first time ever, rather than consonant notes and by doing so, I've learned a lot and this contest was a lot of fun so even if I end up last, this contest will never be a failure to me.

Level 10
Update for the (unofficial) submissions list:
- deepblade
- Derkath (link to music file broken/outdated; does anybody have it? I sent a PM to him, too)
- Devine; WiP Screenshot
- Jaret
- lexalex
- Rao Dao Zao
- Watchman; WiP
- ZippeR

If you want to get your WiP linked, please post (a link to) it again (I'm too lazy to read all 15 pages again for WiPs :razz:). Probably it would be the best if you could link to your WiPs/equivalent proofs in your "final entry" posts. Then everybody who wants to can easily see that you are the creator if he thinks the piece is too good for you. :wink:

Dude, all of the WIP are in early posts, don't expect us to post them again. That'll be double post...
Linking to it is double post !
Do it as you like; this list is not official at all, it's just to make it easier to keep track of what's going on for all users reading this thread. And I don't think that referring to an earlier post is double posting. It's exactly the opposite in my opinion, since it's the only way to get people to read it without having to write the same content again.:ogre_hurrhurr:

Level 10
Thanks for posting the Link. I tried to only list up the posts declared as "final entry" and the WiPs additionally, if somebody wants to make sure that the entry is really the creator's own work.
So I won't add it now, but if HappyTauren posts his final entry, a search for his WiP won't be needed which makes things easier. :wink:

Level 35
Okay so my song is too large to upload -_-

Edit: Here it is http://www.mediafire.com/?iiz2kt5843ur1o2

It's unfinished (got just a little bit left to write)

Materials:
-Garageband
- World Music Jam Pack
- Symphony Orchestra Jam Pack

Story: The Sahara is a beautiful but mysterious place; ubiquitous sand swirls and churns after each breath of the wind, blurring everything in its wake. Once the storms start, it is hard to escape for like a spiral, you will slowly -- but surely -- get pulled into the abyss. Although the Sahara has its dangers, it is also a most magnificent creation of nature. The sheer scale is nothing short of grandiose. Like all storms come to pass, the occasional sand tornadoes do ebb and once they do, it is possible to continue your journey -- although it is very likely that you will be in solitude for your comrades may have been stolen away forever beneath the sands.

Status
Not open for further replies.