• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Music Contest #7 - Location

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, guys!
Wanna change my music. New one is a relaxing song and I think it matches more with the theme than the first one.
Hope you like it! :)

Oh.. please increase the volume of your speaker a bit when you hear this music.

P.S. I really liked NightStalker and deepstrasz musics. For now I've just tested these two songs.

Attachments

• PYMusic-WIP.mp3
    2 MB · Views: 72
Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Ya want me to die or what :p? It's already loud!

Hey, it has a mystic vibe, much like some Night Elf songs :D Good work.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nighty's is also swell, action oriented though :)

Level 28
Are you referring to sounds not being harmonized as in for instance the guitar not being tuned as opposed to the other instruments? Some sounds are too low or high pitched? Or?
Hmmm I think the issue is the guitar being tuned or not, it is more about the equalization. It think that right now (specially from the 4 minute mark onwards) the overall equalization sounds is a little too frail/thin, as opposed to a cohese and "thick" sound we get from pro studios. Idk, maybe needs some cutting in some frequencies and a little bit of boost in others, along with compression. I can't tell which ones as I don't know them by heart as Devine seems to have, and I always tinkered with equalization as an amateur trial and error process, so I really can't tell how I would do it =P

Edit: oops I didn't see PrinceYaser's post.
Ooooh I really like it. Sounds beautiful, moody and rather cold. What location inspired that song again? Just out of curiosity. Anyways, good work!

Last edited:
Level 16
Here's my entry. I might edit it a bit if need be.

Here's the proof:

bandicam-2017-07-07-13-34-21-900.116061

Attachments

• AditTechno - Stream.mp3
    9.8 MB · Views: 69
Level 19
Hey, guys!
Wanna change my music. New one is a relaxing song and I think it matches more with the theme than the first one.
Hope you like it! :)

P.S. I really liked NightStalker and deepstrasz musics. For now I've just tested these two songs.

I liked what you wrote for piano. It s quite enjoyable. Adding more instruments in to enhance the fewlings would be awesome tho and thanks for the compliment :3

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nighty's is also swell, action oriented though :)

Thanks :') its a bit action but not totally. It should have the adventure feeling in it.

Here's the proof:

I couldnt listen to the wip yet but the image link is broken.

Here's the proof:

Well, it was a more mystic or dreadful music than a location. What is this place?? However, it's hard to relate a music with a location as I said before. It's a bit monotone at first minutes but it becomes good after it. Overall, I like it! :)
A lot comes from your balance and tonality, actually. Your synths don't pop out the mix the way they could. Giving them some more presence by boosting that 1hz-4khz region and mixing them in slightly louder will give your song a less rough sound. Your drums are okay, but if you want more impact, mixing them in a bit louder, or changing/adding drumsamples might do the trick. Impact comes from sustain when it comes to drums. Your drums are relatively short and snappy, which will automatically make them sound thinner than a drum with a longer tail. I'd normally say compress them more, but maybe you're better off finding that tail elsewhere and adding it in on top of what you already have. Of course, you have to make sure the different samples don't drown each other out. The ambient intro is a bit startling, the other guys are right. I get that the song is about soundscapes, but your track starts of much less zen than you're intending it to be, which puts off the listener. Doing a small, growing fade, or lowering the volume of the noise will work wonders on your tune.

In other news, here's an updated version of my tune. Might be final, I don't know. I've decided in favor of a new name: "Arctic Crystal Cave Rave"
Enjoy!
Divine's music is pretty nice! I can imagine a place at the first minute and some seconds of last minute. This track is also a bit mystic. I think making a music mystic can really help. :D - Nice composition! I love it! :)
Woah I didn't know this was going on.
I'm going to wreck you nuglets.
Devine's track was pretty fantastic though.

Edit: Thanks for that, moderator.

Also first WIP.
RiotZ's song is also good. Location feeling can be sensed. But I have a question, Did you cut this track from a longer music of yours?? It seems you've cut it. Anyway, it's a good piece. :)
My submission.
Hmmm, it was a bit boring at first like you want to close it but it becomes a bit better at the next minutes. Also location feeling can be sensed pretty much. I love those sea effects! This is also a bit mystic :p - Good job! :)
Here is mine. It's supposed to be more "environmental" but just ended up strange and poorly done. Worth a shot though.
"Alone in a grassland wilderness"
Well, also mystic. Location feeling can be sensed a lot, I felt I'm walking in a farm or something like that. However, it was a bit monotone. - Nice song you have here. :)
My WIP. Bass probably a bit loud.
Imagine wandering along some deserted beach, hm yea.
Well, it was boring imo! I think you could make it more relaxing and mystic to help the location feeling, however, I think the location feeling could be sensed well at the middle and last minutes. - Nice job! :)
First WIP,am kinda experimenting on this one,first time doing a vocal (just singing Oh Ah Eh and etc)on one of my tracks (am recording on my laptop's onboard mic,so not very high quality,you may notice a ''humming'' as the voice comes in,though i tried my best to remove such humming),on another note ive been kind of stuck in this song,cant seem to think of anything or a way to continue it for a while,so there's a chance i may not finish it.
Pretty much mystic! Also location feeling can be sensed pretty much! I felt I'm walking in the heaven, really. Very nice stuff! :)
A little something I'm experimenting with my new recording gear.
I'm having problems syncing tracks with Audacity due to latency during recording.
I'd like to have a guitar in my submission. I'll see how it'll work out...

EDIT: so, this is my wannabe WiP (heathenland).
Heathenland of deepstrasz - Well, it was not mystic like others. I could not feel the location sense. It has a nice composition but it does not fitting the theme! There is no sign of uniformity! Your first WIP, guitarRecordingTestAudacity, was better in location feeling. - Overall, a nice job here. :)
Better version deleting cuts adding reverb to get better ending
blacklabel's music is also mystic. It's monotone however. Location feeling can be sensed a bit. - Good job, though. :)
Here's a WIP guys, hope you like it :p

The composition is inspired by magical and eerie, supreme places, such as; Hogvarts castle, Drangleic Castle(when it was in its former un-undead state). It has a fairy feel while giving a strong sensation of something big is coming. Something very powerful and vast.
Pretty much mystic. I can feel the location sense. Nice composition you have here. It has very few monotone seconds but not important. - I love it overall. :)

Great WIPs, guys! Keep it up! :)

Level 19
Well, I don't know. I could not imagine anything. I can sense something from sad and emotional musics. That's my character, I love emotional musics! Your song was almost a happy music. :)

A music piece doesnt have to be always emotional. His music sounds like celtic or maybe more northern folkish and it gives me a feeling of a pastoral life. A journey to Shire or a few friends or a family living in a hut in a village. Its uprising in a sense.

As a critic, i can say @deepstrasz , in my opinion ofc, keeping it acoustic/classic only without the second part getting crunchy tones. Keep it medieval, or you might have a better idea. Im looking forward for it ^^

A music piece doesnt have to be always emotional. His music sounds like celtic or maybe more northern folkish and it gives me a feeling of a pastoral life. A journey to Shire or a few friends or a family living in a hut in a village. Its uprising in a sense.
I know. I just said I love emotional musics. :)

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
The full song not a WIP just for pleasure listen with headphones
Feels as if they're three songs. The ambient guitar is cut by the pianoish key sounds which are in turn cut by the distorted guitar.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My probable entry (since I've not decided if it's still WiP or not :eek:):

Attachments

• deepstrasz-realm of heathens.mp3
    10.9 MB · Views: 108
Level 17
Really no idea what I'm doing.

If we just find an image of a landscape online and use that as a base? Is that technically "location"?

Btw deepstrasz your piece makes me think of Swiss Army man. No idea why :/

Level 19
Feels as if they're three songs. The ambient guitar is cut by the pianoish key sounds which are in turn cut by the distorted guitar.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My probable entry (since I've not decided if it's still WiP or not :eek:):

Enhance the drums, it is going very well. What I'd suggest would be not bending the strings at the last note of the repetitions on guitar. On seconds 8 and 15. Compress and add some reverb to the drums too. That'd make it perfect for the current theme. Now it sounds so under developed compared to the whole song.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Enhance the drums
Make them louder? Have them with more bass?
What I'd suggest would be not bending the strings at the last note of the repetitions on guitar.
In a pitch way you mean? But the guitar string is barely lowered there. Also, why is that a problem?
Now it sounds so under developed compared to the whole song.
What is, the drums? They're compressed. Probably I should add some distorsion to them or something.

Really no idea what I'm doing.

If we just find an image of a landscape online and use that as a base? Is that technically "location"?
I guess that could work.
Btw deepstrasz your piece makes me think of Swiss Army man. No idea why :/
Maybe you listened to rock or something resembling my song during your army years :D?

=========================================================================

@NightStalker what about now?

Attachments

• deepstrasz-realm of heathens.mp3
    10.9 MB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Level 30
@deepstrasz, great stuff! Here are my comments:
Your strings are drowning out your guitar line in the intro. Pull em down a db or 2.
Maybe a bit of reverb on that guitar to give it some more epic proportions would be in place. It sounds like it was recorded in your room, as opposed to the large hall the other instruments are in.
The turning point at 2:50 has some bad timing which you should really fix. Also, those guitars need some more reverb, because the intended impact is really not there. The guitars don't sound epic enough in this part.
The strings at 3:50 sort of lose me, high notes sound sort of over the top in my opinion. The piece seems a bit too long and as it progresses, I can hear a bunch of timing issues, while the composition derails in a way that I don't find it very pleasing. Really, the piece starts out great, but you lose me towards the end.

@Brambleclaw, That's honestly not so bad! I really like a lot of elements in your track. Compress that synth bassline from the intro! Some notes stick out. Also, having hyperacusis, I hate the synthline that comes in at 0:48. You should try to make it sound less "nagging" by using some EQ to get rid of that 1-5khz region, and boost some around 250-800hz, to give it some fullness. Your instrumentation seems very random, you jump from one instrument to another without reincorporating it later. That sort of makes your song sound like 5 different short songs by different people and it's very confusing. I would heavily rework the structure of the composition and instrumentation, reincorporate themes, because this is random as shit structurewise. Haha! Look up some pre-existing song structures, and try to learn from them. They are being used for a reason!

Level 17
Sounds about right - i completely lack consistency when it comes to melody/ideas flowing. I'm gonna scrap the second half (1:44 onwards) and think of something to fit into it.

Also thanks for the EQ suggestions, I felt that the synth was a bit too heavy at 0:48 but had no idea what to do about it. Turns out reducing the higher end like you said makes it a lot smoother and clearer.

Level 19
Make them louder? Have them with more bass?

In a pitch way you mean? But the guitar string is barely lowered there. Also, why is that a problem?

What is, the drums? They're compressed. Probably I should add some distorsion to them or something.

I guess that could work.

Maybe you listened to rock or something resembling my song during your army years :D?

=========================================================================

@NightStalker what about now?

I love it! There are still little problems about mixing and mastering but im no pro on these matters anyways :p If you can make those kicks at the beginning more hearable please make them cuz they go a bit unnoticed(or bcz of my earphones). I wish you had higher quality plugins for the strings and etc tho. Itd be much better in sound :(

Level 17
My location of choice.

Location = Weeb fantasy.

The middle section is where he is going. Start and end his current place and mental state.

Edit: Updated WIP.

Attachments

• Hurry up they're waiting.jpg
    Hurry up they're waiting.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 105
  • Hive Placev2a.mp3
    6 MB · Views: 79
Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Your strings are drowning out your guitar line in the intro.
Yeah, I should, I guess. Instruments aren't really equalized.
Maybe a bit of reverb on that guitar to give it some more epic proportions would be in place.
The problem is that the program I'm using only accepts 16bit waves which cuts a lot of the recording quality. But, I'll see if reverb makes it sound better.
The turning point at 2:50 has some bad timing which you should really fix.
I've got loads of rhythm issues. I have to do multiple rerecords until I get it right else I'll end up with sampling every 4/4 step which wouldn't be too nice. However, I'll need some time for it.
The strings at 3:50 sort of lose me, high notes sound sort of over the top in my opinion.
Yeah, I know, lack of inspiration. I'll if something comes up for the second part of that piece to avoid repeating the same melody but in a different octave.
The piece seems a bit too long and as it progresses
The whole song or the part with guitars leading to those high pitched strings?
while the composition derails in a way that I don't find it very pleasing.
Well, I wanted to have it not repeat itself all the way to the end so I split it into 4 parts. Anyway, why isn't it pleasing for you? Would you please detail a bit? Is it because you effectively do not like the melodic line and harmony there or is it because some other reasons like rhythm issues?

If you can make those kicks at the beginning more hearable please make them cuz they go a bit unnoticed
Hmm, might be because some other instruments are louder and the bass usually does that. I'll see to it.
I wish you had higher quality plugins for the strings and etc tho. Itd be much better in sound
Yeah, I know...

Level 30
The whole song or the part with guitars leading to those high pitched strings?

Well, I wanted to have it not repeat itself all the way to the end so I split it into 4 parts. Anyway, why isn't it pleasing for you? Would you please detail a bit? Is it because you effectively do not like the melodic line and harmony there or is it because some other reasons like rhythm
Oh yeah no, dont get me wrong. The foundation of the song is great. Its that like past the 4 minute mark nothing that you wrote really adds to the song. The sort of build up to a climax sounds a bit corny and the song would be better if you kept it short & simple.

Level 28
Updated entries on 2nd post of the thread. Shout if you spot a wrong link on your entry.

Edit: Updated WIP.
I liked your track, kinda trippy, it has an evolving narrative and kept my attention all through it. I just didn't feel too much like I'm in any particular place while listening to it. The "weeb fantasy location" you said comes only at the very end of it, I think, so for me it seems more fitting to say it is themed around Earth reality and its earthly problems, but that's just me. Also the production sounded really fine for my noob ears.

Level 30
Hi, everyone!

Here is my entry. I'm glad I finished it on time. I hope you like it. I won't be available for a long time from now on.

Maybe increase the volume of your speaker a bit more.

Entry name: The Heaven of Peace
Date: Jul 19, 2017
For: THW Music Contest #7 and holding the peace of the world
Description: There are so many threats in the world and so many wars at all locations of this world. There are just musics, drawings, walking in the nature, talkings and some few other sedatives for this subject. In the hope of establishing world peace...

Good luck to all! :)

Attachments

• The Heaven of Peace.mp3
    5 MB · Views: 95
Level 30
Larsen C (Final Entry)

The contest requires me to add an explanation as to how this relates to the theme. The location of my track was chosen after reading the news about the Larsen C Ice Shelf that was breaking off. What I envisioned while making the song, was the sort of nakedness of the icy landscape as it was being torn in 2 by the forces of earth. The melancholy touch is a supposed sadness that we are ought to be feeling when this happens. Like it or not; the earth is changing, the world around is growing increasingly unfamiliar and the scary visions of the future eg. AI, Global Warming, Modern authoritarian governments are weirdly becoming the norm. We are growing old. At the same time, we are being presented with unparalleled possibilities for the creation of a modern day utopia. We can overcome these troubles and accelerate into a civilization that can bring wealth to billions of people and colonize the galaxy. This is where the futuristic touch comes in with the electronic sound design. We are in front of a huge crossroad and everyone is trying to get by. My song was made for the location of the Larsen C Ice shelf, but it represents something much bigger as we start to realize that the future is already happening, and we have no idea just how fast it is going already.

Attachments

• Devine - Larsen C.mp3
    7.5 MB · Views: 110
Level 16
My concept:

arlberg-pass-833326_960_720.jpg

@PrinceYaser >> Beautiful work, it gives a real sense of calm.
@The J >> Amazing... The change of the rhythm at 0:50 gives it a really elegant beginning, and the last unexpected rhythm is also good as the rest of the work.
@Devine >> That was the most enjoyable stuff i've heard here.

I'm also posting my last Wip and a proof.
Uno.jpg

Attachments

• BBYWip2.mp3
    528.4 KB · Views: 74
  • BBY PreAlfa.mp3
    1.9 MB · Views: 76
Level 30
That guitar needs tuning, methinks. Also, you might want to add more stuff there as it's quite repetitive.
Tuning the guitar would give it a totally different vibe, but would make it easier to build on with pads and or other samples.
@KayS I love the triphop vibes here. Get that tape simulator I posted on page 7 and use it to crank the guitar, it'll sound much more like it was made in the 90s -> portishead, dj shadow stuff.

Level 1
Hello,

I would like to add my entry for this contest :) I hope this would still count as it is a bit more on the action side rather than the ambiental one.
The location for my music would be 'The Battlefields of Eternity' from the Diablo series, a place stuck in a constant endless battle and turmoil.

latest

This is my work in progress, the song should be done in a couple of days.

Attachments

• Battlefields of Eternity WIP.mp3
    3.7 MB · Views: 104
Level 30
I dont think ill be able to finish my entry till the deadline. I dont want to rush it in a few days too. I have other plans for this composition of mine :p good luck to all participants here tho ^^

That would be a shame! Perhaps you can take on judging, though.

Please put this one as the entry, I've edited it little bit.

Cool stuff dude! Very relaxed. I'll give you some quick fixes.
Hihat is a bit too loud throughout, bassdrum could use some more sub, like 3dB or so. Piano needs a touch of reverb for extra atmosphere, same with the guitar theme at 2:00.
and also:
  • All entries must be accompanied by an explanation of how the song fits into the theme.
It helps people put a context to your track.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
All entries must be accompanied by an explanation of how the song fits into the theme.
IMHO, this is gibberish since music is supposed to create stuff in your mind when listened to, not be accompanied by a piece of text which can destroy any attempt to let your mind consider the harmony's message. It's not a movie, you know...

@AditTechno much better!

Status
Not open for further replies.