• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Joining the Texturing Contests - A decade too late!

Level 25
This is a fantastic idea & a wonderful thread. Already you guys have produced some sick stuff. I love the idea of 'going back in time' to compete in Contests you never had a chance to.

In fact, it almost makes me want to do exactly that for old Hero/Techtree Contests, lol. More importantly, I wonder who would be most interested in doing something similar for Modeling Contests... What I wouldn't give...

Keep it up!
Why not do it for the Hero Contests as well? I wasn't expecting anyone else to join in here, but it seems like I was wrong! If nothing else, just go for it. If people find it interesting, they'll follow.

As for the Modeling Contests, I'd be interested as well. Even though I despise the tangled mess you've to go through to produce models for WC3! P:

Edit
BTW, I'm revamping my second contest entry, so expect some downtime.

Last edited:
Level 25
Texturing Contest #3 Demonic Units

WIP 2

WIP 1

Demoness Skirmisher

DemonessSkirmisher_WIP_002.png

New update format as I don't like to spend to much time with this.
1. Cheekbones, how?
2. These parts are going to be removed with alpha
3. Highlight areas, yes... I'll fix it.
4. Shadows needed!1one!
5. Add glow?
6. Team Color areas
7. Not finished yet, supposed to emulate the tendrils of the WC3 Demoness
8. Wings look like crap, WTB someone to finish them for me instead!
Demoness Skirmisher

demonessskirmisher_wip_001-png.269031

Drinking and drawing, two of my favorite hobbies. But the first isn't that great for actually finishing up projects*. But apparently, I felt like doing this in the middle of the night. And by the way, I'm skipping contests four and five as neither appeal to me. I'm not a fan of the model choice for the fourth, but as it's one of the very restricting contests I might throw something at it later on. And the fifth, Halloween, just doesn't speak to me, like most holiday stuff.

Inspired by this and the Demoness in WC3, duh.

* I know, I know... I'll clean up the Tauren... Soon.

Attachments

• DemonessSkirmisher_WIP_001.png
    DemonessSkirmisher_WIP_001.png
    365.7 KB · Views: 535
Last edited:
Level 25
Texturing Contest #6 Northrend/Icecrown

WIP 2

WIP 1

Arch Necromancer

archnecromancer_wip_002-png.277826

No comment.
Arch Necromancer

archnecromancer_wip_001-png.269035

"Death Knight", one of the other drunk tests. Not much to say about it yet, but it's an idea. And I've no idea who approved most of these shitty unwraps. Seriously, everything is complete and utter shit.

Attachments

• ArchNecromancer_WIP_001.png
    ArchNecromancer_WIP_001.png
    839.3 KB · Views: 559
  • ArchNecromancer_WIP_002.png
    ArchNecromancer_WIP_002.png
    766.6 KB · Views: 725
Last edited:
Level 25
*-* *-* *-* ♥♥♥
<3
On a spree. I love these.
Glad you like them, Heinz! I'll finish them... Soon. Still waiting for some Forsaken glory, though!

*Arowanna pesters Heinvers*
Just gotta love you for that Dead Space pun. <3

Keep up the awesome work though.
Well, the unwraps are fucking horrible! :'>
jee, stuff made me forget about this :xxd:
nice seeing some new wips
Go Misha, go! Your texture is really damn interesting, let us see the final version soon!

Level 14
Texturing Contest #2 Racial Conversion

WIP 2

WIP 1

Ancient of Mumu

tauren_wip_002-png.262861

What a nice change of pace! This was apparently so much fun that I forgot to properly WIP it. I even went against my own tip and made tiny leaves in the process, something I'll fix later. Especially for the back, this will look cluttered in game. Longer, larger, better or something along those lines. And due to ADD, I'll start doodling for Contest #3 as well...
Ancient of Mumu

tauren_wip_001-png.262801

As the Footman is near completion - the shield is still driving me insane - I decided to doodle out ideas for the Racial Conversion contest. Just blocking out and trying to find the worst parts of the UV map. As per usual, the wrap is crazy bonkers and out right horrible at times! And just look at all that dead space, at least 30-50% of the texture map is unmapped, damn it. And they still manage to fuck things up here. The grey thing underneath the palette are the "soles" and they overlap in a weird fucking way, instead of just being mapped directly over each other. The same goes for the top-right thing, that's the top and bottom of the totem, skewed and rotated for no reason at all.

This is also throw back to something I made back in 2007-ish by the way; but I won't redirect you to it. My general stupidity and juvenile attitude at the time makes me cringe so freaking bad that if you're interesting in finding it, you'll have to do so yourself!

When this beautiful piece will be finalized? I soo want to use it in my project.

Level 25
Nice work we got here. Weird, didn't notified me on alerts. XD
Seems to happen at times. Are we going to see something new from you ~Nightmare, or are you focusing completely at the Paired contest? By the way, is the Demon Faceless in your texture thread for Contest #3 or something? o:

Too bad I suck at texturing. I will still try something for the #1 contest. I like me some footman
Just join! The more the merrier!

As a sidenote, instead of using a pure grey color for shadows, try picking a slightly desaturated purple color, it will help with creating contrast!

example_ae-png.271462

How's it going @Arowanna and @Misha ?
I've been focusing at building my 3D portfolio - without much success - but I'll try to at least finish the second entry soon.

well, not always lazy :p
I really fucking like this Misha! Clean up the black outlines and this will be pure awesomeness!

When this beautiful piece will be finalized? I soo want to use it in my project.
I'll do some work on it today. As mentioned earlier, I revamped the texture. Making the leafs larger, slight color scheme change and trying to fix all the broken seems. The unwrap for the Tauren is pure shit! :p

Attachments

• Example_AE.png
    Example_AE.png
    202 KB · Views: 473
Level 25
@Arowanna
Ser thanks for the tip but cant understand how to
also is there any good brush i can use other than default one
Honestly, I usually use Photoshops standard brushes. I've a few others for painting, but for texturing, I usually just use a soft brush with 10-75% opacity (soft being the 6th brush in the standard set).

There are advantages for custom brushes, but my tip is to make your own custom brushes, that way you know how they work and you can tweak them. If nothing else, DeviantART has a shit ton of brushes for all kinds of things. I don't know what to recommend though!

Edit
Regarding the how to, what is it you don't understand? I can't really explain how to do it more than instead of picking a grey color when you fill in your shadows, you pick a desaturated purple. Then you just shade as normal ^^

Google on "complementary colors" if nothing else! And if you need help with shading in general, there's a lot on that online.

Last edited:
Level 25
@aeman, nice, things are starting to pop; keep it up!

@~Nightmare, hope the interview and exam worked out for you, mate!

@Misha, I really dig it! x)

Even if you don't want to do what Heinvers said, there's some truth to it. Much like my second entry (Tauren Ancient thingy), your texture will probably look quite grainy at lower resolutions due to the heavy amount of details. But if it's mainly a personal item and you use 512x512 this shouldn't be a problem.

Now, upload!

@Rao Dao Zao, glad you like it! Here's hoping for more stuff in general!

@Arowanna
well.. i think i'm going to stick with this;

Dwemerz.gif

I did add some stuff you suggested, @Heinvers , but i couldn't do the leg-shadow without messing up the feet because of wrap. and with that, i have kinda gone into a situation where the more i try to edit it, the more i think i'm ruining it. 'n' so.. you'll have to settle with this, and gimme a go-ahead to upload it to the resource section. but mind you, i really won't tweak it anymore.

Level 8
Yeah, the footman wrap is a mess. I tried reskinning it once, and I quit because it gave me a headache. You did an amazing job there Misha working with what Blizzard gave you.

Level 25
Well, it's done. I'll continue with the Death Knight and Skirmisher Soon™. I wish I could clean up the legs shading, but dear God, that unwrap is so horrid. UVs overlapping all over the place, so a simple darker shade on, mostly, the inside had to do.

Glad you guys like it! Sadly, the simpler rendering in WC3 Viewer doesn't give the texture justice; a lot of detail is lost. It feels dishonest uploading preview pictures rendered in something more advanced, so it will have to do!

And I'll be back..! Just give me three to four months or something!

I still dig it! Here's hoping for more! @~Nightmare, same goes for you, really digging your stuff, mate!

Last edited: