• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hive melee maps for official ladder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Community, if melee maps made by our members would make it to Blizz ladder, which do you think would be the best?

Please, post links of the melee maps you like best.
Thanks.

I'll start with some:

I've also started threads on the official forums!
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/bnet/topic/20762216587#1
https://eu.battle.net/forums/en/bnet/topic/17618142532#1

Last edited:

mafe

Map Reviewer
Level 24
It would be awesome to see blizzard look at our maps. But it would be even better if the mappool would become a little more flexible. Thanks @deepstrasz for putting the list together.

From my maps, I think Winterstorm and Crawling Shallows are not my best ones (Too large, some questionable pathing). So if you are looking for maps, I'd rather have you look at Mercenary Retreat and Shattered Exile instead, which i like more and are relatively recent maps where I hopefully didnt make the same mistakes again ;)

The maps can be for any gamemode, 1v1 up to 4v4 and FFA?

Level 5
1v1
(2) Amazonia
(2) Echo Isle
(2) Last Refuge-1.3
(2) Plunder isle_LV
(2) Road To Stratholme_LV or (2) Swamped Temple
(2) Terenas Stand_LV
(2) Dire Brook (balanced Two Rivers)
(2) Green Hills or Northern Isles or Tirsifal Glades_LV
(2) Concealed Hills
(4) Turtle Rock
(4) Twisted Meadows

2v2
(4) Avalanche_LV
(4) Bridge Too Near_LV
(4) Centaur Grove
(4) Synergy
(4) Furbolg Mountain
(4) Phantom Grove
(4) Tidewater Glades_LV
(4) Lost Temple
(4) Twisted Meadows
(4) Turtle Rock
(6) Gnoll Wood

Here are additional good maps:

**** (NEW MAPS)

(2) Swamped Temple
(2) Thawing Snow
(2) Irresistible Mind
(2) Violet Outpost

--------------------------

(2) A Land Divided
(2) Uther's Slumber
(2) Echo Atoll
(2) Shining Waters
(2) The Jade Isles
(2) Green Stone
(2) Hylia
(2) Deserted Isle
(2) Plunder Isle 2.0
(3) Nomad Isles
(3) The Glade
(4) Basalt Basin
(4) Sanctuary Of Sargeras
(4) Maelstrom
(4) Death Trap
(4) Gul'dans Legacy
(4) Renegade City

Last edited:

Remixer

Map Reviewer
Level 31
Out of curiosity, I'd like to ask people how'd feel with breaking aesthetic limits of melee maps. Most of my maps have very heavily altered visual world, compared to the original vanilla maps, but I just had a thought that it is not really a factor that should outline such maps out of the melee map pool, even if it was an official one.

Why?
Firstly, visual changes do not affect the gameplay directly, no spell or interaction works differently, compared to the vanilla maps and thus they are exactly the same when it comes to that.

Secondly, the reason some one might consider them out of the melee category is that they indeed have edited objects in them (not imports necessarily), that might in some cases lead to unclear situations when it comes to for example pathing. However it is now important to note this: many of Blizzard's own pathing is extremely questionable and extremely misleading (hello hay cart, throne, torch, brazier, ice block etc.) and the only reason that people play around with them perfectly is that they've gotten used to it. This is the reason that I see absolutely no good argument to line out visually altered maps out of the official map pool - once they get played people quickly learn exactly how they work out, and for example in my maps the custom pathing scenarios are extremely rarely in areas that directly would affect players.

Level 7
Hey Blizzard! WorpeX here, Admin of the FFA Masters League. Not familiar too much with other scenes, but here is a list of Custom FFA Maps that are used competitively and on the FFA Bot Ladder.

Custom Competitive FFA Maps:

(4) Anarchy Castle by WorpeX
(4) Fountain Of Manipulation by Red7z7
(4) Greenville Woods by Mr.Henci
(6) Harvest Of Sorrow by WorpeX
(6) Neon City by SuperCumulo
(8) Dragon Island by Tyrant66
(8) La Rosa Nautica by SuperCumulo

Those are the most popular and important custom maps in the FFA scene. I want to keep the list small as to not water down the list. There are more, of course, that can be found here: FFA Masters League - Map Downloads

Level 18
Out of curiosity, I'd like to ask people how'd feel with breaking aesthetic limits of melee maps. Most of my maps have very heavily altered visual world, compared to the original vanilla maps, but I just had a thought that it is not really a factor that should outline such maps out of the melee map pool, even if it was an official one.

Why?
Firstly, visual changes do not affect the gameplay directly, no spell or interaction works differently, compared to the vanilla maps and thus they are exactly the same when it comes to that.

Secondly, the reason some one might consider them out of the melee category is that they indeed have edited objects in them (not imports necessarily), that might in some cases lead to unclear situations when it comes to for example pathing. However it is now important to note this: many of Blizzard's own pathing is extremely questionable and extremely misleading (hello hay cart, throne, torch, brazier, ice block etc.) and the only reason that people play around with them perfectly is that they've gotten used to it. This is the reason that I see absolutely no good argument to line out visually altered maps out of the official map pool - once they get played people quickly learn exactly how they work out, and for example in my maps the custom pathing scenarios are extremely rarely in areas that directly would affect players.

I feel like this is a bit too much.

Level 29
@deepstrasz
Seeing 4 maps of mine in that list is a great honor.!!! You also chose the best ones, good eye yours.

I took the time to look many of the Hive maps and decided to make a Signature recommending authors of melee maps that they are not active anymore but they did many very good maps. Of course there always authors that did 1 or 2 perfect maps, but sadly I can´t list them because it would be never ending.
I took as criteria 7-8 melee maps min.
Also there is another thing, usually the first 2-3 maps are made with low experience, so I think the more experienced users reach HQ maps with their 6 or 7 map at least.
There are many maps well terrained but so-so balanced and perfect balanced but nothing new visually talking.
The exception are the contest map, there almost everybody did a very good job aiming for both balance-enviroment melee maps.

there are tons of good maps, this is just a list I made really fast.

Emerald Glade : very good Ashenvale map
Grim Batol : very good Dungeon map
Renegade City : very good City landscape map
Ancient Warfield : very good Sunken ruin map
Frozen Void : very good Ice-theme map
Separated Worlds : very good Forest - Underground map
(4)Everglade Forest : very good Forest melee map
Green Season : very good Unique-Dark-land map
Frozen Quarry : very good WOW area
Inselgarde : very good City- Sunken ruins map
Orgrimmar Tunnels : very good Underground map
Hegemony : very good 8 player map