1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Units have been turned into heroes in our latest Icon Contest! Vote for the best icon set at the Icon Contest #18 Poll!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The poll for Hive's 12th Concept Art Contest is up! Go cast your vote for your favourite genie!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The raddest synthwave tracks were chosen - Check out our Music Contest #12 - Results and congratulate the winners!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Warcraft III - Patch 1.28

Discussion in 'Patch & Reforged Discussion' started by StoPCampinGn00b, Apr 4, 2017.

1. DracoL1ch

DracoL1ch

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    im not going anywhere, still have good niches around intact. I just want to see WC3 having bright future and hopeful "today", and can't even get a fucking silver line through all this shit. I just wanna wc3 to have possibilities like any modern "sandbox-included" game has, LUA and shit. Why can't we simply have things other people takes for granted? I can't get it.

2. KILLCIDE

KILLCIDE

Administrator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    ^.^

3. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    No, I'm not a developer. When I say "authority", I'm talking about either A) Blizzard themselves (as represented by the people officially posting on their official forums & sites & such), or B) Users (here & elsewhere) that have some reasonable claim to a connection with them (i.e. @brad_c6 being a Blizzard employee, Kam/PurgeandFire/etc as Hive scions who have visited with & signed NDA about the upcoming Warcraft patches).

Are talking about the same thing here, then, when we say "authority"? I mean, I'm working from a baseline expectation that you & I respect the same meaning of the word. If you don't truly believe that the Blizzard employee posting on the Blizzard forums is who he says he is, or that Kam/Purgeandfire actually visited Blizzard, talked with them, signed NDA's... Well then I don't see how you can continue in this line of conversation.

You gotta start somewhere; take something(s) on faith. "Are these guys who they say they are", and "Are they doing as they say they are doing"? I choose 'yes' in both instances.

I'm not qualified to answer that... However I don't have to. The aforementioned brad_c6 (an "authority" by my earlier definition) already made it clear:
    (emphasis mine)

Seems pretty straightforward to me. Now you can choose not to believe him/them. But I do (see above), and his explanation, even to a layman (i.e. me), seems pretty straightforward & sense-making; the old patching system is old & built for a different time, where even small changes can have unintended consequences and take a lot longer to get out. The new patching system fixes all/most of those problems, making the fixing of actual problems (& the eventual promised addition of functionalities) feasible, if not simple.

4. DracoL1ch

DracoL1ch

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I'll tell you more once I find this func myself and debug it using disassembler.

5. Alok

Alok

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Screenshot_2.png

6. DracoL1ch

DracoL1ch

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    so it was GameDLL+36D3E0 for 1.26, who draws command card and decide where to put the icon. In 27b it becomes 3AA430 offset. Guess what? Neither 26, neither 27b has SECURITY CHECKS, meaning functions been intact. Whos been changed is the constructor of ability icon.

Ability button constructor for 26: 3777D0
    [​IMG]
    a7 & a8 keeps X & Y
    Ability button constructor for 27b ("fixed"): 3CA1A0
    [​IMG]
    which basically just filter the value AT CONSTRUCTING STAGE.
    I call bullshit on this as I cannot see anything breaking because of this 2 checks. Didn't put my hands on 27c patch yet (hardly worth 28 index), but guess there's yet another simple check for the value in display unit's card function or even in constructor again.

I know, congrats to the guy who managed, through all the pain, add this 'fix' at 27b, you're real hero, we need more devs like you. But, like, really?

Blizz, can you fucking hire a guy who KNOWS a shit about wc3 finally? It's painful to hear this.

7. Paillan

Paillan

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    I am really curious how you can call yourself a developer with only one resource wich is substandard. Hmmmm...

8. DracoL1ch

DracoL1ch

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    oh, famous quote of EA games towards Bill Gates. Love it

9. PurgeandFire

PurgeandFire

Code Moderator

Resources:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Yeah, I'd love that too. It was one of the things highlighted in SC:Remastered (keybinding in general), so I imagine wc3 will get a similar treatment in due time.

Both sides are sorta correct depending on which way you see it. You're correct in that it doesn't help with developing a patch from a dev standpoint, i.e. physically fixing the bugs (although there might've been dev-side changes too, we just don't know about that), but that isn't the point of the patch. The changes are intended to reduce the # of problems on the user's end.

As you said, it just changes how it replaces/syncs files. But just a simple change like that can change the number of people who need to reinstall/run as admin/go through hoops just to update (after all, reinstalling is basically like resetting your mpq's as the new patch system would).

Because of a logistical barrier like that, you can't really release hotfixes or small changes (you can, but there'll be a lot of grief); instead you have to defer to a large patch. But if you take the grief out of patching, (think of old battle.net vs the battle.net desktop client) then devs can release more often. It shortens the feedback loop as well.

Either way it is a good quality-of-life change for the future. When something breaks in whatever changes come in the future (things will always break), it will be more convincing for blizz to release a patch sooner than later.

Hey, that wasn't us who said that--that was Neo. :p But yeah, I think people mistakenly got hyped for the "a lot" part (it is probably technically "a lot" of changes, but not the "a lot" people had in mind). This wasn't meant to be a huge editor patch. In my opinion, the focus is the new patch system.

10. Alok

Alok

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I didn't say you said it, he said a developer told him that.

11. DracoL1ch

DracoL1ch

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I bet there would be no small updates anyway. if only it's about QoL for testing team, thats all, but they're definitely able to reinstall wc3 completely without any issues.

12. A Void

A Void

Resources:
    Models:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    How can you be so negative in all of these threads? If you don't like it then please refrain from posting here. You should have some decency, Blizzard still cared for Warcraft 3 to maintain and patch the game, including new features. They are working around the clock to improve this game while you keep bitching about it.

13. Paillan

Paillan

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Is being a huge dick and constatly complaining about something to people that have nothing to do about that something (aka. Complaining to the players of a game about a patch made for the game by the developers) satisfying for you man?

14. Zwiebelchen

Zwiebelchen

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Dear classic games department of Blizzard,

Jesus fucking christ, why is it so hard to write proper patch notes?
    "Fixed a couple of bugs" is pretty much worthless information without any substance.
    Give us goddamn input here! What bugs got fixed? This shit matters!

However, good job on borderless fullscreen though. Great not having to use the screen expander anymore when recording shit.

PS: Just to clarify - i'm not pissed about the low amount of changes in 1.28. I'm pissed that - again - we get lackluster patchnotes that deliberately hide critical information from us. I'm tired of figuring out the details on my own. Do your fucking job and maintain a proper changelog like the professionals you are supposed to be!

15. Quilnez

Quilnez

Resources:
    Icons:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    We who's familiar with wc3 limitations and have been grappling around it share quite the same concerns about the future of Warcraft 3. If you don't understand anything about it, then I suggest you to think again before trying to correct his behavior. I don't fully agree on all of his way in expressing opinions, but judging him to be all wrong is so self righteous and is just equally bad, he's got his own point of view.

16. BlueSaint

BlueSaint

Resources:
    Tools:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Phew, it's a grand relief that the patch was not bnet 2 oppression like some people were casting the bnet 2 term around in PSA thread.

Good notes! Borderless window is a big thing btw.

17. Paillan

Paillan

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    They will (hopefully) update the info when the patch comes live.

18. Alok

Alok

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    There is still hope for those "a lot" of changes to the World Editor, hopefully.

19. StoPCampinGn00b

StoPCampinGn00b

Community Manager

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I agree with @Zwiebelchen
    I posted here in hopes we can get Blizz to extend the notes and provide some sort of Q&A.

20. Hotwer

Hotwer

Resources:
    Resources:
    I do understand @DracoL1ch rant.

But, just to be honest, your approach on pointing the real problems aren't good, people will just scam at you. Raise a proper thread on this rant, beign as spicific as you were when showing the assemble code from the patchs, maybe you will get more attention in what you're pointing out.