• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft III - Patch 1.28.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 32
Patch_1.28.1_tall.png
Warcraft 3 Patch 1.28.1 is live
Link to Battle.net post
Launcher / Patching / Installing Issues (1.28 / 1.28.1)

The expected minor followup to 1.28 is here. The only thing missing from the patch notes on the left, is about the order IDs bug. It has indeed been confirmed fixed, meaning maps broken or partially broken by 1.28 should also be fixed. We expect for the mention of the the order IDs fix to be included in the patch notes after Blizzard updates their thread.

We'll add more information here and in Patch Discussion if / when new info surfaces. Stay tuned!

Previous patch: Warcraft III - Patch 1.28

Update 2:
@MindWorX reverse engineered the functions that control the artificial latency in network games, both for LAN and Battle.net games. Previously, the functions returned 100 for LAN and 250 for Battle.net. But as of this patch, both functions now return 100, which means Battle.net latency has been reduced.

(Single player) NetProviderLOOP = 100
(LAN) NetProviderLTCP = 100
(Battle.net) NetProviderBNET = 100

Update 3:
So since we got reports that the battle.net delay feels the same, we've concluded that while the code has changed, it's probably not fully implemented yet. That could explain why it isn't mentioned in the patch notes. The good news is that the code being changed probably leads to it happening for next patch, may it be 1.28b, 1.29, or something else.

Last edited:

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

Next up, 1024x1024 .blp files? Anyone? :D

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
They really need to improve their patching process. Currently every patch redownloads pretty much the entire game which is about 500-1000 MB of data. Before the patches used to be at most 70 MB.

Why not move to CASC and be done with this nonsense?

Tested and it appears >512 dimension BLPs are still not supported.

Level 8
They really need to improve their patching process. Currently every patch redownloads pretty much the entire game which is about 500-1000 MB of data. Before the patches used to be at most 70 MB.

I don't understand it either. It is as if the new patching system can't even do differential updates, unless something was so messed up in 1.28 that they had to replace the whole game.

They are even replacing war3.mpq and war3x.mpq which used to never change. All mpq changes used to be done via patch mpq. From 1.27 to 1.28 to 1.28.1 we are essentially downloading the whole game every time.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
They are even replacing war3.mpq and war3x.mpq which used to never change. All mpq changes used to be done via patch mpq. From 1.27 to 1.28 to 1.28.1 we are essentially downloading the whole game every time.
I am guessing they lost the ability to support the patch MPQs. WoW, SC2 and D3 before migrating to CASC used a different kind of MPQ patch system in the form of patch blocks which were applied to the main MPQs and archived in folders to allow for replay support. The solution now is to patch directly to the main MPQ files by copying them from a master copy.

Not sure why they do not move WC3 to CASC rather. CASC would only need to download the files that change so patches would be 20 MB odd at most.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
This should be the patching menu where they apply the patch, no?
Nope. You just download a launcher from BattleNet that starts the Blizzard update agent which then downloads the entire game MPQ archives again. The process involved 5 minutes of 10 MB/sec download for me which is at least 1,000 MB of data.

Last edited:
Level 5
The patch is completed for me, but it seems to have the classic warcraft 3 side black bars, even after editing the resolution in REGEDIT, it still did not change. Would like to have some help in this field.

Level 3
Okay I'm having major issues with the patch again just like I did when 1.28 came out a couple weeks ago. Can anyone help for a sec I think I might know a solution?

Level 18

I'm not sure if that's how it really works, i think it says it's downloading everything but it skips files you already have.

At least that's how Hearthstone works, you see a 1.4gb update just for some text and then it's finished in 2 seconds.

Level 11
Given the usual speed of my connection, I probably did not download a full gigabyte of data.

If it's true that it diffs what you have to what's available, it'd be nice if it gave accurate download predictions instead of worst case. A quick diff shouldn't take long at all and it's nice information to have before committing to a download.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
At least that's how Hearthstone works, you see a 1.4gb update just for some text and then it's finished in 2 seconds.
Yes that is because that is how CASC works... CASC replaced MPQ in their modern games because it is easier to patch.

Test Map still does not work... WorldEdit is still incorrectly placing the test maps inside the Warcraft III folder in Program Files instead of Documents.

Level 8
To all people being stuck with updater: happened to me with last update.

1. Uninstall w3
2. Delete registry entries and all files from appdata belonging to blizzard
3. Reinstall
4. Pray it works. Took me 2 days and several reinstalls last time. Absolute insanity.

Level 21
Takes quite some time here, not getting full speed sadly.

Maptesting worked
Had to add the font folders into the .mpqs again

Level 8
Bliz, stop w/e you are doing with wc3. Stop it, go back, write a real, a grown ups changelog for everything you did since 1.26.

This is unbearable, I have no choice but stop the map development till you either stop patching or start being a adults about your changelogs.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
The patch is completed for me, but it seems to have the classic warcraft 3 side black bars, even after editing the resolution in REGEDIT, it still did not change. Would like to have some help in this field.
You need a 4:3 display to not have the bars. Or you can disable aspect ratio correction in the game settings but then the game looks ugly due to stretching.

I'm not sure if that's how it really works, i think it says it's downloading everything but it skips files you already have.
Even if it does not use the files it still downloads 1GB of data which is excessive. I watched the update process use 10 MB/sec download for several minutes using the Windows 10 task manager.

CASC systems work differently. They show data remaining which is data that needs to be processed. Before they moved to CASC when it said 1 GB the patch was 1 GB of data to download.

If it's true that it diffs what you have to what's available, it'd be nice if it gave accurate download predictions instead of worst case. A quick diff shouldn't take long at all and it's nice information to have before committing to a download.
Any difference to game data means you need to redownload the main MPQ archives, which are ~1GB in total as each is 400-500MB each. Even if they added a silly 1KB button to those archives, they need to be redownloaded entirely which is 400-500MB. Their solution to the MPQ file system mess was to bypass it entirely by performing checks from the normal file system level. Instead of having to edit the MPQ files with changes, they redownload them.

Level 32
Update 2:
@MindWorX reverse engineered the functions that control the artificial latency in network games, both for LAN and Battle.net games. Previously, the functions returned 100 for LAN and 250 for Battle.net. But as of this patch, both functions now return 100, which means Battle.net latency has been reduced.

Level 6
Update 2:

Wow! Good news!

Level 21
So the ping is lower (which is a big change indeed) and they do not even care to announce it officially???

Did that happen by accident or? Really confusing

edit: going to check that out real quick
edit2: can't confirm, still feels laggy like 200+ms

Last edited:
Level 21
Take a look in the options and un-tick fixed aspect ratio if it's ticked

Level 9
Where can I download it? It says "there was an error applying upgrade". I clicked on the battle.net button in warcraft 3, after the patch was downloaded I clicked on the restart button and it shows me this message. Any ideas what to do?

Level 7
The base War3.mpq and War3x.mpq haven't been touched for years. Or at the very least, there is no reason to do so, as you can just overwrite stuff in War3patch.mpq instead, so I literally cannot understand why it is redownloading everything.

Level 2
Update 2:

They didn't do anything about ladder. It's pretty much the same.
This is probably applied when you host games on bnet which nobody does anymore due to host bots..

Also, warden is not running anymore after these patches started... Is there any news on it? Did devs mentioned anything about it?

Last edited:
Level 32
So since we got reports that the battle.net delay feels the same, we've concluded that while the code has changed, it's probably not fully implemented yet. That could explain why it isn't mentioned in the patch notes. The good news is that the code being changed probably leads to it happening for next patch, may it be 1.28b, 1.29, or something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.