• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft III - Patch 1.28.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
WHAT? You can not test maps from the WE after these patches? That's... that's a pretty bag bug. I have intentionally stayed on patch 1.26b because of patch problems and shaky compatibility with Windows 10. 1.26b was the last good / stable patch for WC3 (in my opinion) that especially works great with my particular setup. Time to lose a few hours and downgrade again...

On a side not, I am thrilled that Blizzard does anything at all still for this game, it is so old and one should expect problems and bugs. I just hope that these patches are all part of a plan for new content or upgrades. It would be even more amazing if it is all part of a plan to test / do a dry run for an ideas and concepts for an eventual WC4.

Level 30
The base War3.mpq and War3x.mpq haven't been touched for years. Or at the very least, there is no reason to do so, as you can just overwrite stuff in War3patch.mpq instead, so I literally cannot understand why it is redownloading everything.
It's a sensible thing to do yes, but my guess it that they're replacing the files that way just to keep it clean.

Off topic, I thought that "watch thread" subscribes you to it, turns out it doesn't. So I'm subscribing by a post.

Level 6
When you reduce the size of W3 by pressing ALT+ENTER and then you maximize it back to hybrid fullscreen pressing the same keys combo, you won't have the correct screen resolution.

Level 14
There is still small issue with native full screen mode, it doesnt center the display in middle of the screen with side black bars, now it just does display game in top left corner. Is there any way to fix it? I wanted to play on slightly bigger 4:3 resolution than 1024x768, windowed fullscreen caps in in very small range of resolutions and ends at 1024, while native fullscreen i just not positioning propely making it very uncanny to play at.

Level 21
WHAT? You can not test maps from the WE after these patches? That's... that's a pretty bag bug. I have intentionally stayed on patch 1.26b because of patch problems and shaky compatibility with Windows 10. 1.26b was the last good / stable patch for WC3 (in my opinion) that especially works great with my particular setup. Time to lose a few hours and downgrade again...

I'm running 1.28b with the official JNGP (from the hive) and the self-fix here. Everything is working fine.
The basic 1.28b maptesting does indeed lead to a blacked out wc3 menu.

Level 5
In case someone finds this useful, for maptesting you can create shortcut to your war3.exe with parameters:
"H:\Games\Warcraft III\war3.exe" -loadfile "C:\Users\UserName\Documents\Warcraft III\Maps\MapName.w3x"

Also I wanted to ask, when can we expect non-latin usernames fix?

Level 8
They updated the format of crash reports!!!!!!!!!

Now it contains ZERO useful information for map developers! So exciting.

Level 12
I'm starting to lose faith in Blizzard, it's nearly impossible to work on my map. Get black screens during test, cannot play it manually through single players because it causes errors and for some reasons I have duplicates of every blizzard map and folders. I was really positive about the updates but every time they just let me down :(

Level 13
I cannot test my maps anymore, before the patch a error would pop up, now instead its just a black screen with the Warcraft 3 Cursor and that's it. Does anyone else have this? and if so how do you fix this. :(

I cannot test my maps anymore, before the patch a error would pop up, now instead its just a black screen with the Warcraft 3 Cursor and that's it. Does anyone else have this? and if so how do you fix this. :(

Use WEX or wait until Blizzard releases a patch to fix it. You can also use the -loadfile paramater with a shortcut.

SharpCraft World Editor Extended Bundle

Level 21
How to download this f### patch from FTP?

For offline install. (Without connect to battle.net, for example install to computers that cannot be connected to the Internet.)
I think offline patches aren't a thing anymore.Not 100% sure,but I think with the way it works now there is no longer offline versions.

This patch seems like an absolute shitfest... apparently it also broke GHost++, meaning all host bots are having issues (29 player queue on MakeMeHost... LOL!). The whole deal about making the MPQs read only is also making stuff even more difficult for JNGP users. I really want to play, but i'm feeling reluctant towards downloading this patch.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Update 3:
So since we got reports that the battle.net delay feels the same, we've concluded that while the code has changed, it's probably not fully implemented yet. That could explain why it isn't mentioned in the patch notes. The good news is that the code being changed probably leads to it happening for next patch, may it be 1.28b, 1.29, or something else.
Has anyone actually proved that there is no difference? With 60 FPS video capture? Or that LAN ever had a difference to start with?

I used to play manually hosted BattleNet games all the time and the latency was never particularly noticeable. If the host was in the USA latency was slightly noticeable but that is to be expected seeing how the RTT is 100ms at least.

Level 32
New thread up: Launcher / Patching / Installing Issues (1.28 / 1.28.1)

Has anyone actually proved that there is no difference? With 60 FPS video capture? Or that LAN ever had a difference to start with?

I used to play manually hosted BattleNet games all the time and the latency was never particularly noticeable. If the host was in the USA latency was slightly noticeable but that is to be expected seeing how the RTT is 100ms at least.
It's mostly the BNet ladder community expressing their suffrage from the artificial delay. I think it's a pretty rare site for people playing custom games to complain about the same thing. Here's some of the people reporting that it hasn't changed in-game, but there's not much analysis / proof: Patch 1.28.1 - Artificial Battle.net Delay Reduced • r/WC3
However, we did ask Brad from Blizzard and he stated that it has not be changed (in context, implemented).

Last edited:
Level 1
Patch worked for me BUT I can't play 1 v 1 since a map is missing ( (4)Wetlands ). I can't find a link to download the latest version either. Anyone here care to send it to me? Thanks in advance.

Level 21
Patch worked for me BUT I can't play 1 v 1 since a map is missing ( (4)Wetlands ). I can't find a link to download the latest version either. Anyone here care to send it to me? Thanks in advance.
Mine is gone too,but I do still have one in my 1.27 folder.Check your conversations

Level 7
Oh wow, they are actually starting to bring active updates. This is great, :p It wasn't that long since 1.28, keep em coming. :D

Level 4
I'm starting to lose faith in Blizzard, it's nearly impossible to work on my map. Get black screens during test, cannot play it manually through single players because it causes errors and for some reasons I have duplicates of every blizzard map and folders. I was really positive about the updates but every time they just let me down :(

The testmap issue is getting fixed, basically the editor is trying to use old school file paths instead of the new ones Warcraft III uses....

The duplicate folders occur when there is a map in your documents folder along with your game installation folder?
Are you putting all your custom maps in the documents folder, try pruning any excess folders in there (or renaming them)

Missing data in the patch, fixing...
From what I have figured out it's only an issue in enUS, but if anyone else is having this issue please tell me what platform and locale.

Oh wow, they are actually starting to bring active updates. This is great, :p It wasn't that long since 1.28, keep em coming. :D

:cool:

If keys were purchased, but Warcraft is installed on computers that can not be connected to the Internet.

How to get patches for these computers? (For save to USB flash and install on these computers)

We are no longer releasing standalone/offline patches because we rely on the modern patcher supplied by battle.net. You could (unofficially) drag and replace the files manually.

Updating the game broke my separate install of 1.27 and I can longer edit my map because of it.

Could you give me a bit more background information on this?

They updated the format of crash reports!!!!!!!!!

Now it contains ZERO useful information for map developers! So exciting.
Can you give me some more insight into what you mean?

Anyone else having trouble applying patch? I'm stuck at 76%:

MA30p6r.png

It will get there, if it's not done in 30minutes then ping me.

If there are any other pressing issues created by 1.28 that have not been resolved by 1.28 please reply.

Last edited:

Cokemonkey11

Code Reviewer
Level 29
@brad_c6

If there are any other pressing issues created by 1.28 that have not been resolved by 1.28 please reply.

Hi, thanks for posting.

Yes, there is at least one modding/development related issue that hasn't been discussed. Before 1.28, the vast majority of active modders were using some fork of the world editor, based on worldedit1.21 (from wc3 version 1.21).

Context:
The particulars are not very interesting, but basically JNGP was the work of a number of people in tandem. The 1.28-friendly equivalent, WEX, previously known as JNGP 2.x, is the sporadic work of a couple people who (so far) haven't managed to maintain a majority userbase, and the editor itself is quite different.

Problem:

JNGP 1.x is broken because 1.28 removes CD key from War3.mpq, which means worldedit121.exe doesn't start with the right context.

What this means for us:

Moving tools to a 1.28/WEX-friendly build is a lot of work, and it means any tool developers have to rely on the current WEX maintainers to keep publishing improvements (it isn't yet on par with JNGP 1.x)

@Frotty and I have been working on building an automatic patcher that emplaces the CD key related files from pre-1.28 into War3.mpq, so that worldedit1.21 based resources (including the only Wurst-friendly editor) can keep working.

I suspect that Frotty will mention a couple more issues in due time.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Could you give me a bit more background information on this?
Many people keep multiple versions of WC3 running at the same time for a variety of reasons. Most common of which is to play old maps which no longer work on newer versions of Warcraft III (eg maps which used to old type cast exploit). In his case I am guessing he kept a 1.27 copy for the JNGP editor (third party tool) to work from so that he could continue working on his map.

A fix for JNGP was posted a while ago and for future map projects it is recommended to not use JNGP but another, more modern third party editor as recently stated in the site news.

I am not sure if one can even call this a bug. One really is not meant to keep 2 active installs of the same application on the same system.

Can you give me some more insight into what you mean?
Before the crash logs used to have some dumped state information such as what modules were loaded, what caused the crash, what instruction offset in the program file the crash occurred at, some stack dumps etc. Although useless most of the time, there were a few object (stuff modified by object editor) related game crashes that one could detect from the crash log. Specifically the crash files could be used to resolve object crashes which placed a lot of object type references or strings onto the stack as those hinted which object type was the cause of the crash. However such cases were extremely few and far between, and for most crashes the crash log was entirely cryptic unless you had the debug symbol table (something we do not have as it ties into the source code).

The way the patches are applied could do with some optimization. Updating from 1.28 to 1.28.1 seems to redownload all the MPQ files, which amounts to ~1 GB of data transferred. Not a problem for people on fast, limitless internet connections like myself as it takes only a few minutes. However a lot of WC3 players are in poor countries which do not have affordable fast internet or have highly limited data. Many of the "frozen patcher" reports are actually the patching process taking several hours or even days to finish due to slow download rates.

Add a warning before patching that the patcher might download up to 1 GB of data so that people with limited data are not caught off-guard. Also provide more detailed progress information to the user during the download stage of the patcher in the form of how much data still has to be downloaded so that they can see that the patcher is still working and have some ETA how long it will take.

In the long term it might be a good idea to migrate the game data from the MPQ file system to the CASC file system used by modern Blizzard games. CASC supports incremental file updates so all the stable game assets will not be re-downloaded every patch resulting in potentially much smaller and faster patch downloads. This is one of the reasons MPQ was migrated to CASC in World of Warcraft, Diablo III and StarCraft II.

@Frotty and I have been working on building an automatic patcher that emplaces the CD key related files from pre-1.28 into War3.mpq, so that worldedit1.21 based resources (including the only Wurst-friendly editor) can keep working.
This is not an ideal solution as tampering with the main game MPQs technically violates the ToU when playing online. It could cause integrity checks to fail and potentially get people into trouble.

Level 14
Since the patch, I am having this issue. Anyone got a fix ? The game is working okay beside this.
warcraft-3-bug-png.266875

EDIT: Apparently some textures are displayed as pure black too. I reinstalled the game and now i can't even install the update properly. Good Job Blizzard.

Last edited:
Level 23
This is not an ideal solution as tampering with the main game MPQs technically violates the ToU when playing online. It could cause integrity checks to fail and potentially get people into trouble.

the mpqs dont seem to have signatures and run fine without extended attributes.
Of course the prepatcher will detect an update every time, but other that it seems fine - at least for now.

Of course one could also add a .bat that restores the mpqs to original before running the game for a battle.net round.

MindWorX

Tool Moderator
Level 20
WEX wasn't previously known as JNGP 2.0. WEX is a completely new extended editor, based on SharpCraft, that is both better and more stable. Trying to keep JNGP working by hacking up peoples WC3 installation is a horrible idea, not to mention you keep using a version of WE that is missing new features that Blizzard have been working on adding for us. You can't ask for new features and then continue to refuse to use them. If you desperately want JNGP to stay alive, work on updating it. The source is available for everyone. Focus some of your energy on something viable instead of what you're doing now.

Level 7
brad answered that here
Thanks, but I wasn't complaining about that. This error occurred in and earlier version and even now it wasn't fixed even though it was claimed fixed.

Is it so hard to install a new game, update it and then creating a new map with w/e name and trying to start it from the editor?
I'm not mad at Blizzard or anything, but this faulty information really freaks me out.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Since the patch, I am having this issue. Anyone got a fix ? The game is working okay beside this.
Looks like either graphic drivers or missing textures. Uninstall the game, delete the registry for it and then reinstall. Patching might take several hours as it requires downloading >1 GB of data.

the mpqs dont seem to have signatures and run fine without extended attributes.
Of course the prepatcher will detect an update every time, but other that it seems fine - at least for now.
The anti hack security on melee will (if it is working properly) detect modifications to the game data files due to block hash mismatches and potentially flag the account as a potential cheater for banning. That is if the anti hack security is enabled and Blizzard takes action against such flagged accounts instead of writing them off as false positive. They make it clear in the online ToU that the game files are not to be modified in any way.

Of course one could also add a .bat that restores the mpqs to original before running the game for a battle.net round.
It would be better to modify 1.21 executable so that it looks for MPQs at a different path which does not conflict with the main Warcraft III install. This way a .bat could copy the executables, modify them and then start the editor without concern that it is tampering with the game install.

They claimed it was fixed, but for me (and looks like a lot of people as well), it wasn't. Are they testing this?
It is (should be) fixed in 1.28.2 or 1.29. It is not fixed currently on live...

Anyone here knows what is their testing environment?
They use US version and a development build. Changes only make it to us after a patch is released. There is a very high chance it is fixed for next version.

This error occurred in and earlier version and even now it wasn't fixed even though it was claimed fixed.
The people working on maintaining the game are not the same as the ones who wrote it. It is very easy that they overlooked a hard coded constant somewhere.

Is it so hard to install a new game, update it and then creating a new map with w/e name and trying to start it from the editor?
Yes it is. Firstly there are dozens of different releases to test, of which only one is US English (each locale is a different version, hence why Polish has some errors that do not occur with other locales). Secondly as a programmer you can often subconsciously make something broken work because you know how it works.

On a side note I do not think placing saves in the Saved Games user folder is a good idea. I have not encountered a game which does this, including modern Blizzard titles like StarCraft II.

Level 14
@Dr Super Good
Reinstalled the game and it worked but then I got another issue. The patch was changing the language of the game (surely something due to the fact that my first install was not in English). I reinstalled and patched the game several times for it to work properly and stay in the same language.

EDIT: I spent the whole fucking day reinstalling/patching to fix this mess that neo-Blizzard has made. Guess what ? It happened again. I just launched the game and some textures are just displayed as pure black. I can't stand this...

Last edited:

Cokemonkey11

Code Reviewer
Level 29

I agree it isn't a good long-term solution. Sadly, when a patch gets dumped on you that breaks something people depend on, sometimes a faster solution is necessary.

WEX wasn't previously known as JNGP 2.0. WEX is a completely new extended editor, based on SharpCraft, that is both better and more stable.

Does it matter? You dropped JNGP2 for WEX. It's the same sort of software, maintained by the same author, and attempts to address the same problem space. DM me if you want to chat about semantics.

Trying to keep JNGP working by hacking up peoples WC3 installation is a horrible idea, not to mention you keep using a version of WE that is missing new features that Blizzard have been working on adding for us. You can't ask for new features and then continue to refuse to use them. If you desperately want JNGP to stay alive, work on updating it. The source is available for everyone. Focus some of your energy on something viable instead of what you're doing now.

It doesn't do anything different than the existing self-fix, and we're not trying to keep JNGP 1.x alive for any particular reason. If you have a well-architected system we can integrate with, please let us know. [but reading shitty c# code is the last thing I'll do]

It would be better to modify 1.21 executable so that it looks for MPQs at a different path which does not conflict with the main Warcraft III install.

I agree. Do you have the source code for worldedit121?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Reinstalled the game and it worked but then I got another issue. The patch was changing the language of the game (surely something due to the fact that my first install was not in English). I reinstalled and patched the game several times for it to work properly and stay in the same language.

EDIT: I spent the whole fucking day reinstalling/patching to fix this mess that neo-Blizzard has made. Guess what ? It happened again. I just launched the game and some textures are just displayed as pure black. I can't stand this...
In a discussion with Brad in chat it was revealed that it is due to Blizzard having forked the code for every locale. Correct practice with localization is to use the same program code but feed it separate localized assets for each locale supported, eg how StarCraft II was localized. However it seems that Warcraft III was localized by first creating the English master branch, and then forking it and modifying it separately for every non-English localization. The MPQ with all locale specific assets was probably for internal convenience during development of each fork and seem to have now been merged into the main MPQ files.

This makes maintaining Warcraft III much harder since one cannot simply make changes. All changes made to the English master have to be pushed out to the non English forks. For some changes such as internal code for a bug fix this is not a problem as it is the same in all forks. However this does not work well for anything UI (the aspect ratio button) or bundle (the new patcher) related as it bleeds English locale values/configurations into all other locales or fails to merge outright.

I hope in the long run they can fix such a mess by merging all locales into a single build with localized assets. Not only would this make maintaining the game easier in the long term but also this could allow one to change game language post install much like StarCraft II. In StarCraft II you can change locale in the game options, exit the game and then the Blizzard App will download the required localized assets, if not already downloaded.

I agree. Do you have the source code for worldedit121?
It is probably one of the dlls that have to be modified as they are responsible for finding and processing the MPQ archives. It should be fairly easy to make the modifications with the appropriate skills as I would image the file paths being hard coded somewhere inside them. After all it cannot pull "War3.mpq" and "War3x.mpq" out of thin air.

Level 14
I found the source of the issue : MiscData. It seems that in my attempt to modify "Max Slope" for terraining, the .txt has also affected other things (in this case some textures). It took me so long to find that because I couldn't see how modifying a single integer variable could cause that but I guess this .txt must be outdated as I used the one I was using since I started modding (years and years ago).

MindWorX

Tool Moderator
Level 20
I found the source of the issue : MiscData. It seems that in my attempt to modify "Max Slope" for terraining, the .txt has also affected other things (in this case some textures). It took me so long to find that because I couldn't see how modifying a single integer variable could cause that but I guess this .txt must be outdated as I used the one I was using since I started modding (years and years ago).
Yeah, you can't just use the same files. They're updated on Blizzards side sometimes, and you're removing those updates. It's the same reason I haven't been able to add WEU back.

Level 2
@brad_c6

What is a reason for so much delayed change of ladder hostbot's latency?(from 250, down to something reasonable)

That would attract a lot of players back on ladder....

Level 2
They fucked up all custom maps. Changing one constant and making ladder playable would ease a fact that they are recklessly fucking with players.

I could imagine that few programmers from this site who were/are working on WEX and similar tools would do much better job then current classic team. Just imagine how incompetent and ignorant you should be to fuck up object ids?

Level 8
An idea for 1.28.2

Release something useful, like CreateMissile() and its events. Why are they are even hidden from us? Whats was the benefit for bliz of not having them available in the worldeditor at the first place anyway?!?

Level 32
They fucked up all custom maps. Changing one constant and making ladder playable would ease a fact that they are recklessly fucking with players.
They fixed the order IDs. The customs maps are fine now.

I could imagine that few programmers from this site who were/are working on WEX and similar tools would do much better job then current classic team. Just imagine how incompetent and ignorant you should be to fuck up object ids?
Those few programmers people are in constant contact with Blizzard. @MindWorX, @PurgeandFire, and @TriggerHappy are a part of the extended team. MindWorX having access to these things have even helped him develop WEX in various cases. If anyone of them want to elaborate more on it, it's up to them.

I know people don't want reassurances, they want awesome new content and crap not to break. All I can say is that I know that we're going through the rough stages of updating Warcraft 3. I can't confirm that it'll be all daylight after this one either. But I can say that modding is a priority, but so is ladder, hacking, balance, custom games, ping, etc. There's a hell of a lot that can be improved and fixed with WC3 and we all know that.

You can't assume that everything is an easy fix. Politicians promise an "easy fix" all the time and the usual result is nothing happening or making it worse. I'm not in a position to explain why X wasn't fixed or why X broke for every specific thing. But I understand the frustration, and you have a right feel however you want. If you don't want any part of it, there's 3rd party servers out there that don't use the the patch. However, if you do want to help, the best way to do so is to respectfully provide feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.