1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Warcraft III - Patch 1.28.5

Discussion in 'Patch & Reforged Discussion' started by TriggerHappy, Jul 7, 2017.

1. OnyxTheDark

OnyxTheDark

Resources:
    Resources:
    Run as Admin won't change anything since run Wc3 isn't the prob
    I have the battle.net files, the patch just crashed everyone as you can see here : MakeMeHost

I'll wait before reinstalling the game, I don't really wanna do this for each new patch ....

2. aple

aple

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    What is "Files paths and user names think more globally in game and World Editor" suppose to mean? I have no idea.

The patch "Crashes" things like MakeMeHost and ENTGaming because the bots have to update their hash files. The patch didn't break them anymore than any other patch would and it's a really simple and easy fix. (Though pretty time-consuming as they have to update every single bot individually and there's 100s)

EDIT: My first guess was that names that use text stylings, such as |n or |c or whatever are treated properly like other names now, meaning you could add and message them and receive information like stats or what game or channel they're in properly, and it appears that is correct. If you have say, |c0000FF00Orc as a name now, you can do all the things you can normally do with an account name with that now.

Still not sure how this would apply to World Editor, though.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
  3. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Might be down for maintenance. They usually do take it down around this time of week.

I tested under a day ago and Azeroth servers worked fine.

4. Kaijyuu

Kaijyuu

Resources:
    Resources:
    I'm *guessing* that the game understands unicode better now. "Globally" in this sense means not crashing horribly when coming across cyrillic characters and the like.

Alternatively they could be referring to global vs local paths (ie, "./data/blob.dat" vs "C://wc3/data/blob.dat"), but then the "user names" portion wouldn't make sense.

5. aple

aple

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    It might have just been worded improperly. Maybe they meant to say usernames will be treated more globally, as in keeping the color code in mind and not automatically correcting it from something like |c0000FF00Orc to Orc before processing it, and that file paths are treated more globally in the Editor.

Maybe when you grab Usernames for triggers it's also treated more "globally" as well. I think "globally" is just not the right word here, though, and I think that's what's throwing me off because that seems like it's not exactly what they're trying to mean but they're also trying to keep it dumbed down so everybody else can still understand it. I dunno I'm just rambling at this point.

6. OnyxTheDark

OnyxTheDark

Resources:
    Resources:
    Yea you're right tho,
    And MMH bots always crash after a new patch anyway
    I forgot to say it but later yesterday I could indeed go back on Bnet

7. A Void

A Void

Resources:
    Models:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    What was the point of adding native resolution option if they're going to add widescreen support? Unless.. they don't plan on doing that. Honestly, I don't care for any of the changes they did right from 1.26, these patches keep messing up and fixing something that's not really there.

I'm glad I'm on 1.26, I'll probably wait a year or two until this bullshit is over.

8. MindWorX

MindWorX

Resources:
    Tools:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Widescreen support does mean people with widescreen get an advantage. It's possible they don't want to add it. Although at this point, I think it would be better to default to widescreen and then add letterboxing on non-widescreen displays rather than the current approach with pillarboxes on widescreen displays.

9. A Void

A Void

Resources:
    Models:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Widescreen support isn't the problem, they can make it work if they wanted to. The fact is that they are idiots who always use lame ass excuses to get more money. I'm sure they'll milk this game with overpriced remastered editions just to get the crucial changes and additional content. People who brought SC1 have to purchase SC1 Remastered again for an overpriced cost just to get what should have been part of the original game. I'm sure they'll pull the same marketing card for WC3 Remastered.

What's next? 60$ for a HD texture pack? Oh.. 20$ for a widescreen resolution?... Okaay.

10. Frotty

Frotty

Wurst Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Wurst:
    Resources:
    Thanks for clearing this up so I don't have to test it myself...

Meh.

11. Kacpa2

Kacpa2

Resources:
    Resources:
    Gui isnt designed to even work on widescreen resolutions. Playing on this stretched mess on 1.26 is idiotic. It looks unnatural and ugly. I dont understand what exact issue people have with black sidebars.... i would rather have true ratio for which game was designed to work at than to forcefully make it widescreen increasing fov which may show graphical artifacts in some situations. Then on top of that Destroying 4:3 with letterbox for "fairness" is terrible idea.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
  12. aple

aple

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    4:3 ratios actually have an advantage over 16:9 because every 16:9 ratio has a corresponding 4:3 that is the same width but is also taller and there are no exact corresponding 16:9 ratios that are exactly bigger than a 4:3 in this same way, hence actually seeing more than the widescreen ratio (For example: 1280 / 16 = 80 and 720 / 9 = 80 vs 1280 / 4 = 320 and 960 / 3 = 320. Proof there is no exact opposite: 960 / 9 = 106.666 ... Not physically possible). The advantage to 16:9 is that it is more visually appealing, as in literally not just artistically. 16:9 matches with your eyes better than a 4:3 resolution because it takes up more of your vision, but a 4:3 resolution will entirely fit in your vision anyway. So if anything, 4:3 actually has multiple competitive advantages over 16:9 (Fitting in your vision easier means you have to look around less, and it displays more than an equivalent 16:9 resolution). Plus, it's very easy to format 16:9 to fit roughly the same amount of view space in it as a 4:3 ratio.

13. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    I am sure it is coming. Just it might require non trivial changes, especially with regard to UI art.

I think StarCraft (1) supports, or will support, wide screen. As such I see no reason for Warcraft III to not later down the road.

I do not think they will be remastering WC3 in that way. Where as it is pretty common to remaster sprite based RTS games (look at Age of Empires 1/2), it is less so remastering 3D ones (Age of Mythology was just rereleased on steam with some improvements to compatibility). However unlike StarCraft which became free, Warcraft III will likely always need a licence.

Vector graphics support fractions, hence the opposite not being an integer is not a problem.

The advantage of 16:9 is that it is more natural than 4:3. People see in an aspect ratio closer to 16:9 than 4:3. The only reason people have used 4:3 was because it was easier to make CRTs of that ratio.

14. pyf

pyf

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    @MindWorX : I do not think so.

4:3

WC3 E2M6 800x600 - Blizzard.png

Widescreen, the Blizzard way:

WC3 E2M6 1280x768 - Blizzard.png

Widescreen, using @ZUKMAN's D3D8 dll (plus additional tweaks for portraits and cursor):

WC3 E2M6 1280x768 - Cursor Portrait Ingame D3D8_v3.png

15. aple

aple

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Well yeah. The models WC3 renders are vectors, but the final image itself that gets rendered to your screen is certainly not a vector-based image. It's not possible with a raster-based image, and certainly would have to be rasterized somewhere along the line to display to your monitor (Just like normal Vector-based graphics).

Ye that's pretty much what I said. 16:9 is more natural for your eyes, but at the same time 4:3 pretty much shows the same amount of image in less wide space so more of it is out of blind spots and the fuzzy edges of your vision.

AoM also did get some *slightly* upgraded graphics, but nothing too serious.

16. Tasyen

Tasyen

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Is there a new Datatype in the editor?
    Cause i got this after trying importing an spell:

Variable Editor.jpg
    • Set FireCircle_SFX[0] = war3mapImported\s_RunningFlame Aura.mdx
    • Set FireCircle_SFX[1] = Abilities\Spells\Other\ImmolationRed\ImmolationRedDamage.mdl

FireCircle_SFX was in the origin map String Array.
    Wierd is that you can't choose/use it, neither in Variable Editor nor in functions.
    Does that exist longer never realised that until now?

Edit:
    seems to be just a bug/unfinshed feature:
    the exported Map Script, from the target map, shows this
    Code (vJASS):

player                  udg_Player                 = null
        real array              udg_FireCircle_AoE
        real array              udg_FireCircle_StructDamage
        real array              udg_FireCircle_Damage
        string array            udg_FireCircle_SFX

17. Kacpa2

Kacpa2

Resources:
    Resources:
    Why not use same vertical size resolution? 1024x768? Tho tweaked one looks ok. But it's not 16:9 and people are after this when it comes to wide screen. Not to slightly smaller black bars, some people nag about.

18. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Except all 16:9 ratios have whole numbers of pixels, eg 1920*1080. The only difference is with how the sampling mesh is positioned over the projection

19. Kaijyuu

Kaijyuu

Resources:
    Resources:
    The reason I always heard for widescreen monitors catching on was that buyers and marketers compared them by the corner-to-corner screen length. Making bigger monitors with 4:3 ratio was prohibitively expensive (since that has more total area than a more rectangular screen), and stretching horizontally was more practical than stretching vertically for obvious reasons.

I know my widescreen monitor is much bigger than what I can actually see at once. Much of it is in my peripheral vision. Still nice to have all that screen space, though.

20. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    From Wikipedia...
    4:3 started because it was the ratio of original films. Due to the analogue nature of everything, the only way to broadcast them with reasonable quality was to make the entire television system 4:3. Not mentioned above is that making wide screen CRTs was technologically challenging early on due to the scan line length, so once again 4:3 fitted well. Computer monitors inherited from this, as they also had to use CRTs.

Wide screen was invented so that movies could stand out from television (people had a reason to go to the cinema). As time progressed there was a movement to back port this to television as either 16:10 or 16:9. Technology was also no longer a limiting factor as wide screen CRTs were possible, especially towards the end of CRT technology life. Standards were set up and switch timelines created for areas like the EU. All 4:3 broadcasts have slowly been phased out in favour of 16:9. Other competing wide screen formats such as 16:10 have been getting phased out, with many manufacturers only making 16:9 computer displays in order to cut costs (fewer panel types) while getting the most out of marketing as you mentioned.

In summary, in 2017... Most computer displays are being manufactured targeting 16:9. Most steam users (a good representation of the average gamer) use 16:9. Usage of 16:9 as a standard computer display is likely to rise.