• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft 3 1.28 Pre-patch PSA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ladder players minority? You're wrong.
You don't prove this, too. What is this shit questions even, it doesn't help us, for sure custom games defined a big part of wc3 community last years, everyone knows it who was at least a bit active. Let's stop argueing about nonsense.

Level 19
I don't have to prove anything, it's you who's stating something without reliable sources.

I want to know if what you're saying it's true (which I think it's not).
gtfo, I told the platform names, you can google it or believe me. what do you fucking expect, a list of names+surname of every player?
name wc3 ladder vods with top amount of views, and then same for dota vods
Take it elsewhere, private chat, whatever.
deal is still the same? no sudden delay?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
That is the sole theme of my maps?
Use the dark internet if you want to commit crimes. Do not commit them here or on Warcraft.

Edit: Besides, how can you label content as e.g. racist? So if it includes single act of racism, the content is racist as a whole? This is very ignorant, we should evaluate individual actions/factors instead of throwing a label on a product because one part of it can be interpreted as pro/anti-something.
Something like "Kill all Trolls" is not racist. Something like "Kill all Jews" showing a picture of a swastika for a map preview image is. Yes people have tried to publish such maps in StarCraft II and had them removed. Yes people have made such maps for Warcraft III but sadly nothing was done about it.

Edit 2: Also, by adding stricter regulations later on, you are negatively impacting the existing map pool that has been forming for 15 years.
Many of those maps should not have been made in the first place as their concepts are plain disgusting. However they already violate laws in some countries and if WC3 was even slightly regulated they would have to be removed.

I for one can see that we're heading towards totalitarianism, where we willingly submit maps as data they can use as evidence against us. Then they're able to push their agenda, by censoring people who oppose their values and norms.
This is a world wide trend forced upon Blizzard. If you make a "racist" facebook post here in the UK you can face community service and even jail time if more than 1 is made. Very soon in the US this might be the case as well for anyone complaining about Trump, well at least if he had everything his way.

I don't think you know how many reports we reject daily because we feel that the community will do what it does itself. Quite a few reports were from this thread, but we felt that expressing opinions even in pessimistic ways isn't something to intervene with if they're in the bounds of the rules. So of course we prefer realistic and optimistic approaches to pessimistic ones. But we're not going to regulate it unless it breaks the rules. Simple.
You really should draw a line at posts targeting other community members. It is one thing to be zealous in either a positive or negative way but it is another to throw abuse at individuals. Sprouting abuse at the WC3 maintenance team is not constructive and should really be punished, just like sprouting abuse at any other person who uses this site. All such posts show is someone who has anger management problems anyway...

You're contradict yourself. If it was counter-business, they wouldn't even bother. I believe they had wet dreams about Bnet2.0 with ad and sponsored content would change a thing. They also had a dream about people actually playing bnet instead of custom servers with ghost bots. So that could be good idea to revive old games, especially after big fiasco with Heroes of the Storm. Eventually their second-hand projects Overwatch and Hearstone turned to be even better deal, so classic team never had proper assets since then.
It is so they can sell the game again. Otherwise it will either fall under abandonware or into the public domain.

I've explained already - they are first incorporating a more viable system to make it happen at a faster rate than two patches per year. What shall and what shall not happen is up to see yet - but if you feel like being pessimistic, be my guest. I for one believe that things are about to start happening - otherwise we wouldn't be directly involved with this process and be asked for what we need changed, fixed, or added.
I will back this up by telling people to look at Heroes of the Storm. It has patches at least once a month, and every month or so a major non-trivial patch which massively alters the game. Once the frame work is there we will see if enough resources are available for this. Maybe WC3 might only receive quarterly or yearly patches.

1. they made up a fake hype having nothing to show
4. they hide roadmap like somebody else from big companies cares about freaking RTS in 2017...
I agree with you there. It would be nice if they could have Heroes of the Storm style previews for upcoming changes, as well as more solid patch notes.

Last patch massively changed BLP texture parsing, but did not really mention it at all. I had to reverse engineer what has changed and discovered the changes were drastic enough to break many poorly made custom textures. Do note that the reason those textures broke was actually the fault of the third party programs used to make them being wrong in the first place.

3. they somehow believe that ladder (rts) is the what players do want
Most players probably do ladder. More players would if it was better maintained as well. Custom map community is actually tiny, probably well under 1k people at any given time (SC2 has more).

This whole thing been wrong from the very start. It's blizzard who should want to make contacts to see what can help them to make WC3 great again, not vice versa.
As far as I am aware, it was Blizzard that approached people like Hive rather than the other way.

for you and @Kam - sorry, but who gonna play this game in your future? Chinese? I can't see them playing non-chinese maps (I know there are few of those, but still they prefer their own maps with proper language). As I said before, every day is a day when you just lost another player who got attracted by any other game. Doesn't matter if you call " growning popularity", you still lost one for nothing, just because you waited too long.
So few people play WC3 anyway... The main problem is a lack of open sourcing maps, as then maintaining them to work with patch changes is trivial. Blizzard can and will break maps, however if those maps are fixed there is no problem at all. Look at it from Blizzard's perspective where Microsoft can and did break Warcraft III with Windows 10 but instead of complaining to Microsoft for making changes they went and fixed it like proper software developers should.

My greatest concern - why 0 jass commands been added even tho more than 50 been placed in the wishlist?
A change, no matter how trivial, still takes time. Their time is valuable (they are paid) so they can only make the highest priority changes. Look at any open source project and there are thousands of wishes with very few of them being implemented at any give time, even if the change would take a few minutes to make.

Why no reasonable fixes been added [Crash] - List of WarCraft III Crashes BUT they fixed LIGHTNING crash which been a good countermeasure for a few quircks?
Apparently there were issues deploying some such fixes due to the current patching system. Many such crashes might be hard to track down as well.

Look at any open source project and you will see crashes constantly being patched out, some even existing for over a decade. Do not think WC3 maintenance has anywhere near as big of a budget as World of Warcraft to find such problems.

The custom MPQ is a must. Unless someone knows how to still use one, I'm out.
With maps limited to 128 MB in multiplayer there really is no need anymore. Unless you really abuse assets...

gtfo, I told the platform names, you can google it or believe me. what do you fucking expect, a list of names+surname of every player?
name wc3 ladder vods with top amount of views, and then same for dota vods
You did not provide how the statistics were measured. For all we know those could be users active in the last year, which is a pathetic number.

To accommodate for the weekly schedules of people, one usually measure activity in players who logged in at least once in the last 7 days. Melee could easily see 200k such people, especially in China and places which might not appear on the official servers.

Level 19
Something like "Kill all Trolls" is not racist. Something like "Kill all Jews" showing a picture of a swastika for a map preview image is. Yes people have tried to publish such maps in StarCraft II and had them removed. Yes people have made such maps for Warcraft III but sadly nothing was done about it.

Sorry Dr super good, but I can see something like that giving problens in the future. You make a map that is called "kill all Goblins!", its just a map where a player must kills the greedy warcraft goblins for reason, a minigame, a tag, idk. If the game turns a bit more popular, in the modern days people will start going "This map with greedy goblins is obviously made to be about jews! Just look at the units noses and their greed for gold!" or anything nonsensical as that. Some people today find problems everywhere, and they sometimes can get noisy enough that blizzard must sadly cede, even if it doesnt make sense.

Another thing that I am a bit wary but almost sure will not happen, is will in the future playing warcraft 3 need connection with battle net at all times? It was half the reason I stopped playing a lot of modern games.

Level 32
Dr Super Good said:
You really should draw a line at posts targeting other community members. It is one thing to be zealous in either a positive or negative way but it is another to throw abuse at individuals. Sprouting abuse at the WC3 maintenance team is not constructive and should really be punished, just like sprouting abuse at any other person who uses this site. All such posts show is someone who has anger management problems anyway...
The line is there. Just because we're not censoring and deleting posts for the sake of free speech, doesn't mean we aren't dishing out infractions that break the Site Rules.
Some were already given warnings and low point infractions. The more those infractions are dismissed and ignored by users, the closer they are to getting a temporary ban. So this to everyone: Just because we aren't censoring posts, that does not mean you're free to break the rules. We're not going to ignore it, and we've already dealt with some.

We are for free speech and expression of varying opinions, but we aren't anarchists.

-----

I'm not directing this to everyone, or just a single person. But this is a response on two of the side-topics.

On the topic of "melee vs custom games (+ DotA)"
Chill out everyone. There is no point in arguing that DotA and custom games matters much more than melee and vise versa. I understand that in regions in and nearby Russia, South America, and the Philippines are much much more dominant in DotA. However, China is so high up there in melee, across the official NetEase server, Battle.net, and other 3rd party servers. Warcraft in general is more popular in China, looking at WC3, WoW, and the Warcraft movie numbers. Western and Central Europe is the core of the melee community in the west. So you have to understand that demands and requests are different depending on the place, but there are melee, custom game, DotA players, and modders everywhere, just in different numbers. You shouldn't dismiss the melee community because you think it's irrelevant, when in fact, it's so much more relevant outside of your bubble (what you're used to seeing, the region your in, your interest, all effects your perception on it). Hell, I used to think the same because I grew up on Hive and only viewed custom game content.

Melee dominates China, and the competitive West. 90% of requests and feedback from the Battle.net and Reddit forums for Warcraft 3 are melee / ladder match making feedback. Despite me only being a custom gamer and an occasional modder, I can still admit those things. WC3's Twitch section is usually around 60-70% melee. I'm not saying that they are bigger even if they might be, however.

I'd also like to note that the regions where DotA is more prominent is where people are using unofficial PVPgn servers the most. The regions where melee is more prominent tend to either use Battle.net or Blizzard's NetEase server in China. From a logical standpoint, you would want to gear that patch towards the desire of those who have bought the actual game / play on the official servers. But guess what, modding and custom games aren't being ignored despite this.

What I'm trying to say is that there are different needs and desires from other communities that are smaller or bigger. It does not help drag another down, because in the end, we're a part of the Warcraft 3 community as a whole. I'm not going to argue which categorical community is the biggest, because I know that they are working to deliver on both sides of the coin after the technical parts are up to date from 1998 to 2017. There's no need to argue about it, no matter which side you think deserves more attention. Because both are getting stuff. So seriously, stop arguing about this.

On the topic of "stop praising Blizzard"

I don't see anyone praising Blizzard. The closest you get are some people happy or content that they're making this step. Look, everyone doesn't have to like Blizzard, hell you don't even have to appreciate them that much for all I care. But it's childish to constantly insult those who are happy or content with what they see. If you're not happy, fine, express your opinion respectfully. But don't direct your anger at others. It's toxic.

-----

Overall, I want to remind you guys that this is not a circus. I don't care if you're feeling optimistic, pessimistic, or trolltastic. The rules apply to everyone.

I also want to remind everyone why this thread was made. Blizzard's new patch is going the change the whole patching system. There may be more to 1.28 it what's coming and not coming. The old patching system was made in Windows 98, and is going to make way for the 2017 version. The old patching system and old code made patching the game and implementing major changes, both melee / ladder and modding / custom games, difficult. Upgrading the patching system and upgrading other parts to present day allows patching to be more efficient and faster all across the board. Because of this, official game files will be overwritten should you choose to patch. The Hive Staff in contact and Blizzard (with the help of a Blizzard employee) decided to post this before hand so the modding community will know to backup those specific files should people have edited them. Once you have back up'd your files, you are free to add them back in until next patch comes to back them up again. The rest of the WC3 community has no need for this announcement, as it'll just be some file mumbo-jumbo to players with pre-mature hype, hence why it's Hive news as opposed to a widespread Blizzard announcement. That is all there is to it.​

Last edited:
Level 19
You did not provide how the statistics were measured. For all we know those could be users active in the last year, which is a pathetic number.
platforms normally has counter with currently active number, I thought it's obvious. iccup placed it onto front page, rest estimations based on talking with platform owners or local players, thats why there's spans

Level 22
After reading the entire thread, I came up with a solution for you guys. Go make your own Warcraft 3 for God's sake. Or even better, name it Warcraft 4 to bring joy, and excitement. Seriously, if this only brings you disappointment, you shouldn't expect anything from the beginning. Blizzard team is doing their best to give us what we want, it is something we definitely should be thankful for despite the fact there isn't anything they can give yet. At least they are trying. If you can't appreciate their effort to revive Warcraft, either fix Warcraft yourself and add all the new features you all want or go make your own game or just keep calm and play Warcraft. It's much better than whining like this. Let them work and see how the final result will be, then you can whine as much as you please.

The negativity of this thread has gone too far.

Look, everyone doesn't have to like Blizzard, hell you don't even have to appreciate them that much for all I care. But it's childish to constantly insult those who are happy or content with what they see. If you're not happy, fine, express your opinion respectfully. But don't direct your anger at others. It's toxic.
Agreed.

Level 19
No, I dont wanna dev my own game from scratch. Stop being pussy and learn to live next to those who actually don't trust simple words which hasn't been proved by anything. The only real whiners here are those who make posts like you did. I have points and reasons, and you have nothing but your own issues with real world mechanics.

Level 22
Stop being pussy and learn to live next to those who actually don't trust simple words which hasn't been proved by anything.
You referring that to me? Because I don't.

The only real whiners here are those who make posts like you did
I'm not whining though. Just stating my opinion what you people should do and whatnot.

you have nothing but your own issues with real world mechanics
I don't see anything wrong with that.

Just a reminder, let's not go off topic.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
platforms normally has counter with currently active number, I thought it's obvious. iccup placed it onto front page, rest estimations based on talking with platform owners or local players, thats why there's spans
Very busy platforms usually have a counter showing users active in the last 24 hours. Less busy ones do users active in the last 7 days, or even month. Averages over at least a day are needed in order to account for fluctuations from time of day.

Actual statistics would be a comparison of play times spent by people doing various activities. Of those "active" users at least a hundred or so are robots and potentially a large fraction are AFK at any given time.

Level 6
The line is there. Just because we're not censoring and deleting posts for the sake of free speech, doesn't mean we aren't dishing out infractions that break the Site Rules.
Some were already given warnings and low point infractions. The more those infractions are dismissed and ignored by users, the closer they are to getting a temporary ban. So this to everyone: Just because we aren't censoring posts, that does not mean you're free to break the rules. We're not going to ignore it, and we've already dealt with some.

We are for free speech and expression of varying opinions, but we aren't anarchists.

-----

I'm not directing this to everyone, or just a single person. But this is a response on two of the side-topics.

On the topic of "melee vs custom games (+ DotA)"
Chill out everyone. There is no point in arguing that DotA and custom games matters much more than melee and vise versa. I understand that in regions in and nearby Russia, South America, and the Philippines are much much more dominant in DotA. However, China is so high up there in melee, across the official NetEase server, Battle.net, and other 3rd party servers. Warcraft in general is more popular in China, looking at WC3, WoW, and the Warcraft movie numbers. Western and Central Europe is the core of the melee community in the west. So you have to understand that demands and requests are different depending on the place, but there are melee, custom game, DotA players, and modders everywhere, just in different numbers. You shouldn't dismiss the melee community because you think it's irrelevant, when in fact, it's so much more relevant outside of your bubble (what you're used to seeing, the region your in, your interest, all effects your perception on it). Hell, I used to think the same because I grew up on Hive and only viewed custom game content.

Melee dominates China, and the competitive West. 90% of requests and feedback from the Battle.net and Reddit forums for Warcraft 3 are melee / ladder match making feedback. Despite me only being a custom gamer and an occasional modder, I can still admit those things. WC3's Twitch section is usually around 60-70% melee. I'm not saying that they are bigger even if they might be, however.

I'd also like to note that the regions where DotA is more prominent is where people are using unofficial PVPgn servers the most. The regions where melee is more prominent tend to either use Battle.net or Blizzard's NetEase server in China. From a logical standpoint, you would want to gear that patch towards the desire of those who have bought the actual game / play on the official servers. But guess what, modding and custom games aren't being ignored despite this.

What I'm trying to say is that there are different needs and desires from other communities that are smaller or bigger. It does not help drag another down, because in the end, we're a part of the Warcraft 3 community as a whole. I'm not going to argue which categorical community is the biggest, because I know that they are working to deliver on both sides of the coin after the technical parts are up to date from 1998 to 2017. There's no need to argue about it, no matter which side you think deserves more attention. Because both are getting stuff. So seriously, stop arguing about this.

On the topic of "stop praising Blizzard"

I don't see anyone praising Blizzard. The closest you get are some people happy or content that they're making this step. Look, everyone doesn't have to like Blizzard, hell you don't even have to appreciate them that much for all I care. But it's childish to constantly insult those who are happy or content with what they see. If you're not happy, fine, express your opinion respectfully. But don't direct your anger at others. It's toxic.

-----

Overall, I want to remind you guys that this is not a circus. I don't care if you're feeling optimistic, pessimistic, or trolltastic. The rules apply to everyone.

I also want to remind everyone why this thread was made. Blizzard's new patch is going the change the whole patching system. There may be more to 1.28 it what's coming and not coming. The old patching system was made in Windows 98, and is going to make way for the 2017 version. The old patching system and old code made patching the game and implementing major changes, both melee / ladder and modding / custom games, difficult. Upgrading the patching system and upgrading other parts to present day allows patching to be more efficient and faster all across the board. Because of this, official game files will be overwritten should you choose to patch. The Hive Staff in contact and Blizzard (with the help of a Blizzard employee) decided to post this before hand so the modding community will know to backup those specific files should people have edited them. Once you have back up'd your files, you are free to add them back in until next patch comes to back them up again. The rest of the WC3 community has no need for this announcement, as it'll just be some file mumbo-jumbo to players with pre-mature hype, hence why it's Hive news as opposed to a widespread Blizzard announcement. That is all there is to it.​

Good post here.

Level 2
Many of those maps should not have been made in the first place as their concepts are plain disgusting.
"There's really not a singular definition of quality, and what we've seen is that many different games appeal to different people. So we're trying to support the variety of games that people are interested in playing." © Gabe Newell
This is a world wide trend forced upon Blizzard. .... Very soon in the US this might be the case as well for anyone complaining about Trump, well at least if he had everything his way.
This is a world wide trend forced upon Trump. I do not support or oppose Trump, just point out that you are somewhat inconsistent in your remarks.
Microsoft can and did break Warcraft III with Windows 10
Win10, Wc3 works well. Did I missed something?
So few people play WC3 anyway...
Chinese people are people too, do not lump everyone together.
The main problem is a lack of open sourcing maps
I agree with you here. In other hand, best examples of custom maps which I saw were available in open version, example.
A change, no matter how trivial, still takes time.
That's absolutely truth. Lot of modern IT products developed using bad Agile pattern (aka "new feature every sprint!") and tend to blame developers when it's no new features delivered with another update.

@StoPCampinGn00b, excellent comment! <3 I have no words (due to my low level of Eng skills, *sigh*) to say how right you are.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

I agree, negativity is off the charts. I think my concern is only valid one, where our rights are in danger of being stripped. Some DotA fanatics are arguing with no real data here, I actually presented the raw data we all can verify with our very eyes: SC2 custom game acceptable use policy and end user license agreement, which we are in threat of being oppressed by very soon.

Just hating because they haven't given appealing changes is ridiculous, the very meaning of a patch is to enhance the product or service, be it bug fix, value change, widened system support if not article-worthy mega update. So you're moaning for the sake of your moaning being addressed, whereas the issue I'm addressing is a genuine attack on free speech and deprivation of liberty.

It is worth pointing out that within the next few years everyone should be able to peer-to-peer host. IPv6 should spell the end for consumer and carrier grade NATs, the reason why people cannot host.

It is a bit optimistic to say IPv6 will be fully adopted within the next few years. :p

Wooho, finally. It took them how many years to do this? And its really an announcement. How can we know this is going to be a 100% patch release? There was announcements in the past but no releases.

Well there was patch 1.27 recently, so it hasn't been years yet. ;) But it comes down to a matter of trust. We wouldn't put out this PSA unless there was a good reason for it.

Yep, this is project breaking.
Nothing like seeing a project you been trying to work on for years be squashed.

The custom MPQ is a must. Unless someone knows how to still use one, I'm out.

As IcemanBo said, you can just back-up your MPQ and everything will be fine. Also, there are lots of alternatives!
  • Using local files (requires a registry setting to be enabled)
  • Use MPQDraft to make a self-executing MPQ. It allows you to have a separate MPQ that gets injected at wc3's runtime (iirc).
  • Use Devin's Syringe tool to allow users to inject the modded files on their own.
  • The new battle.net limit is 128 MB, so you might be able to just put everything into your map instead.

And if you need help getting any of that set up, let me know. Although, you can still do it however you currently do it. Just add a note saying "make sure you have patched your warcraft 3 before overwriting your war3xlocal.mpq", or something along those lines.

Kazeon

Hosted Project: EC
Level 33
... So of course we prefer realistic and optimistic approaches to pessimistic ones...
Actually, those who are being pessimistic are the ones who's being realistic. Their reasons are based on what has happened (the reality). While you who's siding to blizzard were just based on your believes and hopes which is not real (yet). Just saying... ;)

Tho I'm starting to believe that our expectations will come true one day, since it's said that they're currently addressing the wish list. Just let's hope they will do whatever it takes to make those real, since I heard the team are prepared to take on tough jobs. ;)
We’re restoring them to glory, and we need your engineering talents, your passion, and your ability to get tough jobs done.

Good luck guys. I'm looking forward for your further actions!

Level 32
Actually, those who are being pessimistic are the ones who's being realistic. Their reasons are based on what has happened (the reality). While you who's siding to blizzard were just based on your believes and hopes which is not real (yet). Just saying... ;)
From what I saw, a lot, but not all, of the pessimistic comments are coming from things that aren't realistic. I don't think it's valid using arguments such as "there are more DotA players so they should ignore melee" and "People are praising Blizzard." It also doesn't help to insult others for not having those same opinions. Those also afraid that they won't be allowed to modify the official game files anymore haven't read carefully enough. If you choose to patch the game, all you gotta do is backup your files, and add them back in as you please. The concern over the EULA is also arguably a fairer and more realistic point to be concerned over.

Yes, there are users who are hopeful that don't have evidence. But there are also those who have been in contact with Blizzard who understand why things are going the way they are going. These users explained the situation the best they could without leaking anything to other users.

Quilnez said:
Tho I'm starting to believe that our expectations will come true one day, since it's said that they're currently addressing the wish list. Just let's hope they will do whatever it takes to make those real, since I heard the team are prepared to take on tough jobs. ;)

Good luck guys. I'm looking forward for your further actions!
:)

Level 10
To the people here who view this whole process with extreme skepticism bordering on pessimism, I can understand where you are coming from. However, I'd like to point out another viewpoint. Likely many of you have created something that has been viewed and judged by a community of people, perhaps something that you posted on the hiveworkshop (a map, model, skin, etc) or perhaps something outside of WC3 and game modifying. If so, maybe you have a similar outlook as me on vulgar comments made in regards to your creation. In creating something for the enjoyment of other people, I have found that crude and trashy comments, no matter the level constructiveness, are thoroughly unhelpful and demoralizing. On the other hand, I frequently implement ideas from people who express themselves without the use of anger. Do you want to continue your work when you feel no respect or appreciation? I don't respond to silliness and foolishness (rude words) anymore, but such ways of communicating will never be useful, unless one's intention is not to construct but to destroy.

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
Keep in mind that there is one huge difference that is easily forgotten:
We do stuff for free. We invest our spare time into this. We are less professional because of this.
The guys who create these patches get paid for doing it, it is their job. They get paid when people love it, they get paid when people don't like it at all. Easy as that. Sure, Blizzard as a company earns no money for patches (instead for possible new sales) but the people working on the patches earn their money no matter what.
Also, the execution of the patch notes is not decided by the ones who actually MAKE the changes.
When you have a job that includes contact with customers, it is not uncommon to hear them complain about the decisions of your superior. Sometimes you might even find yourself agreeing with them to a certain degree but cannot do anything about it.
Of course, in real life these people are (mostly) more civilized than in the internet, but that is a different topic.

Also, I call everyone who thinks that Blizzard is creating patches for WarCraft out of good will and with no intention in profit an ignorant fool. I am not calling it a bad thing, that is what companies are about, my point is that it is naive to expect anything big.
Unless massive amounts of people suddenly start buying this ancient game again, then you can hope for another paid expansion. Not saying that it will happen, but who am I to forbid you to hope for unrealistic events?

Oh right, on topic: I don't expect jackshit from this patch or any other.
Waste of Blizzard resources anyway.
But as long as they don't do anything that harms the existing modding resources, I don't care.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Win10, Wc3 works well. Did I missed something?
Gamma slider broke with Windows 10 until it was patched. They fixed it by raising the requirements to use D3D9 instead of 8.

Chinese people are people too, do not lump everyone together.
The number of such people playing WC3, especially for non DotA custom maps, is trivial compared with World of Warcraft, Overwatch and Heroes of the Storm.

I agree with you here. In other hand, best examples of custom maps which I saw were available in open version, example.
Open maps can be fixed, unless they do something inherently not future safe (eg arbitrary code execution). The problem is there are a lot of good maps which will be lost to time because their developers disappeared without releasing the open version of a map to the public.

If you are a map developer, somewhere during your development timeline you should open source the map. Even if that time is the day you decide to stop working on the map forever or move onto another project.

SC2 custom game acceptable use policy and end user license agreement, which we are in threat of being oppressed by very soon.
Oppressed is a very strong word for a reasonably sensible policy. Further more technically some of the WC3 maps that have been made are illegal to play in some countries, just there is no enforcement. Australia is a good example where they have a very strict game licencing policy, to the point that some games never get official Australian releases.

UK is scheduled to be almost entirely IPv6 by the end of the year, but 2018 would be more optimistic for that... Places like China, which are missing from that map, are already mostly IPv6. Most countries where internet is being rolled out for the first time are IPv6 due to all IPv4 addresses already being fully allocated and IPv6 being integral in all new networking hardware.

If WC3 correctly uses the Berkley version of winsocks then it will already support IPv6 as the API is designed to transparently deal with the IP version. If it uses an old version of winsocks then this will not be the case.

Level 12
Here's a little something for those of you that were arguing that WC3 has a teeny tiny player base that is only decreasing in size. Warcraft III is now back in the top 10 of Korea's PC bang rankings! Now consider also that the following games aren't: Starcraft II, Dota II, CS:GO, Hearthstone and Heroes of the Storm. Not bad for a game "dead" game.
Source: 게임트릭스 - PC방 게임전문 리서치 서비스!

Reactions: pyf
Level 2
following games aren't: Starcraft II
img.png
I think that's enough to tell "Sc2 have no audience".

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
I think that's enough to tell "Sc2 have no audience".
It is enough to tell that SC2 melee has a smallish audience. Considering it is an RTS in this day and age of MOBAs and FPS... It does not show coop or arcade population, which I suspect is considerably larger or at least highly significant.

When is this patch going to be released?
SoonTM...

Level 2
Level 12
It is enough to tell that SC2 melee has a smallish audience. Considering it is an RTS in this day and age of MOBAs and FPS... It does not show coop or arcade population, which I suspect is considerably larger or at least highly significant.
I'm not sure how large the arcade audience is exactly, but when I play, if I pick any game that isn't in the top 5 on the arcade list, I usually have to wait an eternity to get enough people. Maybe it's just the weird way the arcade is set up, but it feels very empty, subjectively of course. Though you could reasonably argue that the Co-op campaigns has a large audience, potentially larger than the regular ladder. Normal ladder require such a high level of focus/concentration that I can easily see people not enjoying themselves playing it, but really appreciating watching others play it. This is all based on my personal experiences though, I have no numbers backing it up.

Level 13
In my mind, it's just that they should do EVERYTHING in their power to not reduce capabilities of World Editor. By that I mean, DO NOT REDUCE PROGRAMMING CAPABILITIES. Which, they've done. (Disabling environment sounds, hiding icons, and a few other things just comes off as rude jabs at the programming community imo)

I'm hopeful Blizzard will make everything necessary in memory available. Until then, the new patches simply won't be as enabling for the Editor.

Last edited:
In my mind, it's just that they should do EVERYTHING in their power to not reduce capabilities of World Editor. By that I mean, DO NOT REDUCE PROGRAMMING CAPABILITIES. Which, they've done. (Disabling environment sounds, hiding icons, and a few other things just comes off as rude jabs at the programming community imo)

I'm hopeful Blizzard will make everything necessary in memory available. Until then, the new patches simply won't be as enabling for the Editor.

I agree; don't restrict the capabilities of the World Editor.

Time Stamp: 8:21 a.m.

Level 13
Which kind of was broken to start with. Some values made the game crash?
Broken, sure. But most everything is hackily done in war3 anyways. Either way, the directions still remain; Give replacements for everything taken.

Still waiting on patch!! Its taking ages for me to get to see those patch notes.

Level 9
Which kind of was broken to start with. Some values made the game crash?

It wasn't broken at all. It was like the old Player(16) crash: it's up to the mapmaker to use it correctly (documentation is provided). It never crashes randomly, either it works 100% of the cases, either it crashes as soon as the unit with the faulty button is selected. And no mapmaker would release a map without noticing it.

You can say that it's a hacky approach, but hey, return bug is also hacky and it's been the pillar of WC3 mapmaking for years. And when Blizzard fixed it, they gave us something in exchange (hashtables). But when they fixed button hiding, they gave us nothing (I know they said this will be solved in 1.28, I'm waiting to see it).

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
It wasn't broken at all. It was like the old
Player(16)
crash: it's up to the mapmaker to use it correctly (documentation is provided). It never crashes randomly, either it works 100% of the cases, either it crashes as soon as the unit with the faulty button is selected. And no mapmaker would release a map without noticing it.
It did something unsafe. Unsafe things have to be removed because some hacker might turn it into a weapon for malice.

Broken, sure. But most everything is hackily done in war3 anyways. Either way, the directions still remain; Give replacements for everything taken.
They gave you 128MB file size limit. That is a fair replacement to most people.

Level 13

I was able to keep my mapsize below 8 MB as to host it on bnet pre December patch!
Before the limit was increased, people just needed a file to play >8MB maps, so it really feels like a minor thing. Especially since now I have to use hosting services like Gameranger now.

Last edited:
Level 1
Basically it only checks ur files when updating the games So we need to back them up and copy them back each time when we have updates. Just thinking how this affects our mpq editing.

As someone said above inventory hotkey is a really good point to consider as a future feature to be added.

Curious about how they are gonna do these stuffs. Anyway I'm really happy to see 'classic' guys still working on this 'dead' game (not really XD) and trying to make it better. Thanks for u guys' efforts and looking forward to see further adjustment and changes in the future! :)

Level 7
I mean, I'm not exactly Mr. Sunshine myself, but the negativity in here is off the charts. Cool your jets, people.

Now for my on-topic two copper: Patch 1.28 is good news. I just hope one of the improvements made is the rectification of the issue with the pre-rendered cinematics and how they're handled on modern operating systems.

Reactions: pyf
It did something unsafe. Unsafe things have to be removed because some hacker might turn it into a weapon for malice.

So by your logic the internet should be removed. We already had unlimited file size limit through the use of a edited file or custom MPQ's and/or local files/folders. They've done nothing so far besides make WC3 worst last year, hopefully that isn't the case this year.

Since the file size limit seems to be a big deal then what are they doing for the maps over 128MB? They're still playable on B.net/multiplayer however that isn't thanks to Blizzard. We have only lost feature's, maybe hashtables were a nice addition however we already had whatever those offered and they're even slower then what we already had. They didn't give us anything that could be even considered equal or close replacement to what they stole/patched away. So many varieties of possibility were there yet many didn't know how too achieve them back then, now there is quite a lot unlocked for the public.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.