• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Custom Executable Mods and Patch 1.28 CD-Key Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Hello there, folks. I'm new around here.

I'm toying around with the abandoned mod Nirvana, which can be found here: Warcraft III: Nirvana mod. It uses a customized .exe, which loads a custom MPQ alongside the base game's original War3.mpq. The thing is, as I know, before 1.28 the CD-Key was stored somewhere in War3.mpq, but when the patch dropped it was moved to the new .w3k files and that broke the mod with "Warcraft III was unable to find a CD Key".

Have anyone found a solution to this? Like, maybe modifying the .exe to recognize the .w3k files, or make it load an old War3.mpq with a CD-Key inside instead?

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
WC3 should try to load an extra MPQ file. It is believed that this is intended for game mods. Maybe renaming the custom MPQ to the appropriate name and path and loading standard WC3 should suffice?

I am sorry but I do not remember the name of this extra MPQ off the top of my head.

Status
Not open for further replies.