• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft III - Patch 1.28

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
Because of a logistical barrier like that, you can't really release hotfixes or small changes (you can, but there'll be a lot of grief); instead you have to defer to a large patch. But if you take the grief out of patching, (think of old battle.net vs the battle.net desktop client) then devs can release more often. It shortens the feedback loop as well.
I bet there would be no small updates anyway. if only it's about QoL for testing team, thats all, but they're definitely able to reinstall wc3 completely without any issues.

I bet there would be no small updates anyway. if only it's about QoL for testing team, thats all, but they're definitely able to reinstall wc3 completely without any issues.

How can you be so negative in all of these threads? If you don't like it then please refrain from posting here. You should have some decency, Blizzard still cared for Warcraft 3 to maintain and patch the game, including new features. They are working around the clock to improve this game while you keep bitching about it.

Dear classic games department of Blizzard,

Jesus fucking christ, why is it so hard to write proper patch notes?
"Fixed a couple of bugs" is pretty much worthless information without any substance.
Give us goddamn input here! What bugs got fixed? This shit matters!

However, good job on borderless fullscreen though. Great not having to use the screen expander anymore when recording shit.

PS: Just to clarify - i'm not pissed about the low amount of changes in 1.28. I'm pissed that - again - we get lackluster patchnotes that deliberately hide critical information from us. I'm tired of figuring out the details on my own. Do your fucking job and maintain a proper changelog like the professionals you are supposed to be!

Kazeon

Hosted Project: EC
Level 33
We who's familiar with wc3 limitations and have been grappling around it share quite the same concerns about the future of Warcraft 3. If you don't understand anything about it, then I suggest you to think again before trying to correct his behavior. I don't fully agree on all of his way in expressing opinions, but judging him to be all wrong is so self righteous and is just equally bad, he's got his own point of view.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Phew, it's a grand relief that the patch was not bnet 2 oppression like some people were casting the bnet 2 term around in PSA thread.

Good notes! Borderless window is a big thing btw.

Level 19
Dear classic games department of Blizzard,

Jesus fucking christ, why is it so hard to write proper patch notes?
"Fixed a couple of bugs" is pretty much worthless information without any substance.
Give us goddamn input here! What bugs got fixed? This shit matters!

However, good job on borderless fullscreen though. Great not having to use the screen expander anymore when recording shit.

PS: Just to clarify - i'm not pissed about the low amount of changes in 1.28. I'm pissed that - again - we get lackluster patchnotes that deliberately hide critical information from us. I'm tired of figuring out the details on my own. Do your fucking job and maintain a proper changelog like the professionals you are supposed to be!

They will (hopefully) update the info when the patch comes live.

Level 7
I do understand @DracoL1ch rant.

But, just to be honest, your approach on pointing the real problems aren't good, people will just scam at you. Raise a proper thread on this rant, beign as spicific as you were when showing the assemble code from the patchs, maybe you will get more attention in what you're pointing out.

Level 21
Raise a proper thread on this rant, beign as spicific as you were when showing the assemble code from the patchs, maybe you will get more attention in what you're pointing out.
Won't help.Most will avoid it,and those who post would have no knowledge on the topic.In my eyes,@DracoL1ch isn't a pessimist,he's a realist.I've lost faith in Blizzard and hope for a good patch.When the first patch was announced,I was excited,now I'm just like "meh,more things that won't affect me".They may still release a good patch,heck I wish that they would as I won't only a bright future for this game but it just doesn't seem realistically likely at this point.

Level 7
Won't help.Most will avoid it,and those who post would have no knowledge on the topic.In my eyes,@DracoL1ch isn't a pessimist,he's a realist.I've lost faith in Blizzard and hope for a good patch.When the first patch was announced,I was excited,now I'm just like "meh,more things that won't affect me".They may still release a good patch,heck I wish that they would as I won't only a bright future for this game but it just doesn't seem realistically likely at this point.
Again, maybe not, but I think thats the correct. Blizzard is trying to see some hope to Warcraft 3, don't forget it a frinchise 'lost' a long time ago, it's never a sure step to just dive in to it fix everything and invest everything in a game that can, maybe, just a waste of money, we can't forget that, but even if this patch doesn't add anything usefull, the change to the patching system means they have biggers plans. It wouldn't make any sense to improve the way to update the game to not update it.

Reactions: pyf
Level 12
@A Void
got an official response about the bugs & such
Pete Stilwell said:
GhoST & Friends,

Thanks for the call out on the month... we're not sleeping much.

The unlisted bugs were minor ones related to the listed ones (like the smaller cinematic player bugs HyperTurtle is asking about). We tend not to publish the exploit fixes for reasons.

We know this patch took a while to get out, but the most significant improvement is the installer and patching system. It will greatly streamline the process of updating these titans.

Keep the feedback and questions coming, it's much appreciated and helpful.

Cheers,
Pete

Level 7
God I don't want to start a futile argument, with you people but I must just say this. Nothing said in that Blizzard statement is unreasonable....
I'm not saying that they don't have good reasons to not do it, just pointing out what Pete said.

Wonder if it will enable >512 dimension texture support... They laid the foundations last patch but the game could not use the larger low level mipmaps.

You can actually use > 512 textures in Warcraft 3 since the beginning. The image format has to be .tga for it to work however.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
I do understand @DracoL1ch rant.

But, just to be honest, your approach on pointing the real problems aren't good, people will just scam at you. Raise a proper thread on this rant, beign as spicific as you were when showing the assemble code from the patchs, maybe you will get more attention in what you're pointing out.
@Hotwer: he kind of did it already. Please see here and here.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
You can actually use > 512 textures in Warcraft 3 since the beginning. The image format has to be .tga for it to work however.
Except tga lacks mipmaps so cannot be used for model textures. When the game tries to display mipmap levels other than full size it will show as black. It works for UI elements and terrain since they do not use mipmaps but not for models which do.

BLP files larger than 512*512 are supported but it uses the lowest mipmap level that is at most 512 in any dimension, discarding any lower mipmap levels.

Except tga lacks mipmaps so cannot be used for model textures. When the game tries to display mipmap levels other than full size it will show as black. It works for UI elements and terrain since they do not use mipmaps but not for models which do.

BLP files larger than 512*512 are supported but it uses the lowest mipmap level that is at most 512 in any dimension, discarding any lower mipmap levels.

You have no idea what you're talking about, I use .tga for models. It works. Don't believe me? Try it yourself.

Level 5
Now the Classic group is giving improvements for a new platform, for the warcraft 3. Apart from that we know that in the future can appear a remastered Warcraft 3, this brings many improvements in the community itself. As for the modding aspect we do not have to be very demanding, everything will come in its time, so a little patience. Meanwhile, we have to be aware of the information provided by PurgeandFire, Kam, Ralle and Eat_Bacon_Daily, since they have the facility to inform Classic of any mistakes that have been committed with the next patch, so all beneficial bugs like Location of the icnons X, Y (-11) can be included again in future versions. In my case it seems to me well that Classic first is dedicated to fixing and improving compatibility things, this means a benefit to the community of War3 as it is more encompassing the game towards new generations of computers and operating systems.
Greetings...

Roland

R

Roland

Is it still a pre patch or it's now the Full patched version?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
have no idea what you're talking about, I use .tga for models. It works. Don't believe me? Try it yourself.
Possibly only for custom models? One cannot replace an existing ".blp" texture, used by practically all standard models, with a tga file as far as I can tell. Doing so causes the model to fail to load. I am guessing WC3 does not use content detection to parse the files.

Exception being if the model is used as a terrain doodad in which case it seems to load the tga file path. Otherwise one needs to specify the texture path as tga in the model.

TGA files do appear to generate mipmaps so can work with models. No idea how good they are though...

Level 12
Interesting stuff found in the patch files. Seems like they are really aiming for BNet 2.0 connectivity. Also badass arthas sitting on his throne

Jbo8e6H.png

nXVHtGm.png

It allowed me to update now.

Here are some things I've noticed:
  • All user data moved to documents folder (maps, settings ect..).
  • Fixed aspect ration option in graphic settings. Prevents stretching, adds black borders.
  • JNGP comes up with reign of chaos editor missing many things.
  • I get "could not load map data" when using the test map feature of World Editor. Apparently test maps are created in the wrong directory (not in documents folder).
  • Local files not working.

Attachments

• update.png
    update.png
    330.9 KB · Views: 1,107
  • update2.png
    update2.png
    811.1 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:
Level 7
It allowed me to update now.

All user data moved to documents folder (maps, settings ect..).
Fixed aspect ration option in graphic settings. Prevents stretching, adds black borders.
JNGP comes up with reign of chaos editor missing many things.

Finally, yeah, it's working now.
Sad still you can't select the game from the Battle.net App.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
So instead of adding widescreen support they added black bars to the side of my screen...And I can't even play now because when it tries to migrate my data it just freezes. Good job blizzard.
Give it time, it takes like 2+ minutes as it has to move every single map you have which could be several gigabytes.

BLP files still limited to loading mipmap levels with dimension 512 or less.

All robots also appear dead. There were only 2 games on Azeroth server which had real people in them. How peaceful!

Their new output model appears to default to windowed fullscreen mode and then the fixed aspect ratio works by resampling the specified output resolution.

Last edited:
Level 7
Give it time, it takes like 2+ minutes as it has to move every single map you have which could be several gigabytes.

BLP files still limited to loading mipmap levels with dimension 512 or less.
For me it didn't move any map to my Documents folder, very sad.

I don't have many.

Status
Not open for further replies.