• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Magic Nodes v 1.03

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Magic Nodes

This is a 96x96 melee map designed for 1vs1 players. It is designed with the underground tileset mixed with some grass of other tile sets. I used 7100 doodads (aproximate).

Neutrals and creeps
-6 gold mines (2 Bases: 12500 gold; 2 in corners with 12500 and 2 in the midle area with 18000.
-2 goblin markets defended with orange creeps
-1 unguarded tavern in the center.
-2 mercenary camp defended with orange creeps
-6 way-gates, all unguarded.

Creeps amount
- 8 green creeps (4 per player),all defending nothing.
- 12 orange creeps ( 4 defending the goldmines, 2 the goblin markets, 2 the mercenary camps, 4 defending nothing )

Strategy
1 point of conflict may be the green creeps, the way gates may allow to develop diferent strategies.
After taking the green creeps, there are orange creeps 11-12 defending nothing that loot level 2 items, so they are the second target, in the early game.
The main form of atack is using the diagonal path to the tavern, is the shortest way to reach the enemy.
The nearest goldmine from the base is the corner goldmine using the way-gate near the base, and it has a level 14 creep 2 lizards level 6 and 1 lizard level 2. The middle- tavern area goldmines are defended with orange creeps of level 19 and have 18000 gold. Markets are defended with level 19 creeps so they are ment to the midle game.

Fictional history
In this magic land, there is fire, water, light, darkness and fell, all forms of energy manifestating in magic nodes.

No imported matierial has been used, only WC3 preset elements

Changelog

Version 1.00 upload
Version 1.01 update
-Fixed green creep simetry
- Now all gates defended
Version 1.02
-All gates unguared, moved green creeps.
-added buildable terrain near markets and mercenary camps.
-changed corner goldmines creep, same level 14 and loot
Version 1.03
-split loot in expanding goldmines and in goblin markets.
- terrain with scout options near tavern and near the way-gates.

Credits

Map made by Ragnaros17
Contents

Magic Nodes (Map)

Reviews
deepstrasz
Some Way Gates have no protectors. The blue ones have 3 little Golems while the brown ones have a lil' Golem and two lil' Dragonspawns. It's somewhat unfair as those three Golems can all cast Slow. Approved.
Level 14
This a well made melee map! there is no problems inside the map, doodads placement (check) it's a pretty good map!
You only have 1 glitch or bump. The ramps in the top and the bottom are sharp you can make it smooth so that players can't get startled...ehehehehhehehehe only for me.

Although the map looks pretty good, I mean it may be dark but it matches the environment. Good Job!

Rated the Map 5/5

Level 29
This a well made melee map! there is no problems inside the map, doodads placement (check) it's a pretty good map!
You only have 1 glitch or bump. The ramps in the top and the bottom are sharp you can make it smooth so that players can't get startled...ehehehehhehehehe only for me.

Although the map looks pretty good, I mean it may be dark but it matches the environment. Good Job!

Rated the Map 5/5

About the ramps, I understand what you say, the diagonal ramps have that effect, they have some sharp. In another map, I have the same thing and I put hand to smoth it, but then a friend of mine spoted me : "You got broken ramps. They're not actually broken, but looks quite weird and unnatural. You can use height to make them look natural."
What happened in the end is I worked that much, that the ramps werent ramps anymore and ended too smoth with the lower terrain, the height variation was lost. So I undone everything.
Even if they don´t look that smoth, I am not fan in puting hand in the ramps if you understand my point, and let say is blizzard fault that diagonal ramps look sharp. Actually I tend to use sharp terrain (grass) like Blizzard does.

But yes this matter is one of the matters that are in my mind and if I don´t do something about it is because I lack the skill / experience and I don´t want it to make it worse.

height variation never was my best skill, so I use it carefully / avoid it, and try to compensate with my others skills such as mixing tiles and micro doodads decoration.

Thanks for the feedback mate, see ya

Level 14
About the ramps, I understand what you say, the diagonal ramps have that effect, they have some sharp. In another map, I have the same thing and I put hand to smoth it, but then a friend of mine spoted me : "You got broken ramps. They're not actually broken, but looks quite weird and unnatural. You can use height to make them look natural."
What happened in the end is I worked that much, that the ramps werent ramps anymore and ended too smoth with the lower terrain, the height variation was lost. So I undone everything.
Even if they don´t look that smoth, I am not fan in puting hand in the ramps if you understand my point, and let say is blizzard fault that diagonal ramps look sharp. Actually I tend to use sharp terrain (grass) like Blizzard does.

But yes this matter is one of the matters that are in my mind and if I don´t do something about it is because I lack the skill / experience and I don´t want it to make it worse.

height variation never was my best skill, so I use it carefully / avoid it, and try to compensate with my others skills such as mixing tiles and micro doodads decoration.

Thanks for the feedback mate, see ya
Ok mate see ya and keep up the good work!

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Some Way Gates have no protectors. The blue ones have 3 little Golems while the brown ones have a lil' Golem and two lil' Dragonspawns. It's somewhat unfair as those three Golems can all cast Slow.

Approved.

Level 29
Some Way Gates have no protectors. The blue ones have 3 little Golems while the brown ones have a lil' Golem and two lil' Dragonspawns. It's somewhat unfair as those three Golems can all cast Slow.

Approved.

True is unfair, my bad for not noticing. Totally sliped that

Also, going to add protection to the remaining way-gates.

edit:
1.01 v
-Fixed green creep simetry
- Now all gates defended

Last edited by a moderator:

mafe

Map Reviewer
Level 24
So after I had a look at this map I quite like it. It is unconventional with the waygater, so I cant really predict how it plays out. As always, I have a a few comments/questions, mostly from the point of view how certain aspects of the map relate to "standard" melee gameplay:
-"Map is for 1v1 or FFA". Well technically that is true but one usually only speaks of FFA if there are more than two players involved.
-There seem to be no AoW creeping opportunities. In a similar manner, humans would like to be able to place scout farms or farms in range of the merc camps.
-I think you could use the "Undergound/dungeon" merc camp type, fitting to the map. There seem to be no overpowered creeps in this camp; if anything the mercs might be too boring/weak.
-Expanding looks hard. The middle gold mines have highlevel creeps, while for the corner expansion, there is an insane amount of aoe damage hidden in these creeps, which will leave most militia at very low hp and easy prey for a death knight.
-One problem with waygates and creeps might that if you accidentially have one unit enter the gate, it could immediately aggro the creep from the other side.
-Good use of many different creeps. Items are also fine.

Level 29

-Map is for 1v1 or FFA". Well technically that is true but one usually only speaks of FFA if there are more than two players involved.

I copy paste the text from another map and forgot to remove that.

In a similar manner, humans would like to be able to place scout farms or farms in range of the merc camps.

good point

Expanding looks hard. The middle gold mines have highlevel creeps, while for the corner expansion, there is an insane amount of aoe damage hidden in these creeps, which will leave most militia at very low hp and easy prey for a death knight.

good point

One problem with waygates and creeps might that if you accidentially have one unit enter the gate, it could immediately aggro the creep from the other side.

yeah my original idea was to guard only one side, but it seems problematic so I think I will go with all unguarded for the best.

Thanks

edit: updated to 1.02

Last edited by a moderator: