• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Jadefire Glen v 1.03

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Jadefire Glen

This is a 96x96 melee map designed for 1vs1 players. It is designed Felwood tileset.
Jadefire Glen is an area of WOW Felwood region, in the south of this area there is a satyr camp.
So thats why I selected satyr as main creeps. Funny thing that this is my 16 map, but my first forest theme one. I used like 6000 doodads.

I got inspired in this screens to do something green and red.

https://media.mmo-champion.com/images/cataclysm/beta/felwood_15.jpg
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net...re_Glen.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20061206085843

Neutrals and creeps

-6 gold mines (2 Bases: 12500 gold; 2 15000 gold defended with level 16 creep, 2 defended with level 14 creep 12500 gold)
-2 goblin markets defended with orange creeps
-1 unguarded taverns.
-2 mercenary camp defended with orange creeps
-2 goblin labs defended with orange creeps

Creeps amount

- 8 green creeps (4 per player)
- 14 orange creeps (2 in goblin markets, 2 in mercenary camps, 4 in goldmines, 2 in goblin labs, 4 defending nothing)

Strategy

- I wanted to try this new layout that benefits fast expanding. The path are wide to flank the enemy. There are two major path and the tavern path conect them.
Goblin markets and labs are heavy defended (17-19). Main bases are wide with lot of space, players that focus in defense may last to the long game, but early rush is also possible.

No imported matierial has been used, only WC3 preset elements

Changelog

Version 1.00 upload
Version 1.01
- Less curse units
- Soulcaster more near the building
- More wood in bases, plus changed green creep position
- Fixed weird placement trent unit.
Version 1.02
- Moved blue player goldmine , blue is at -130 x and red at +130 x,
-Adjusted the south market a bit
Version 1.03
- Added wood outside the camara limits so it won´t look empty.

Credits

Map made by Ragnaros17
Contents

Jadefire Glen (Map)

Reviews
deepstrasz
Symmetry is not at its finest especially concerning neutral buildings (including mines). When possible, place the Soulstealers in the back to avoid them casting Mana Burn without the camp engaging. Starting base trees aren't many and they're spread...
Mr.Henci
Hey there buddy, here is my little review: [+] - Everything is set properly [+] - Map size is fitting for 1v1 [+] - There is merc/merchant/laboratory [+] - Two exp goldmines (Bit too much gold though, myb 9k and 13k for exp?) [+] - Enought creep...

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
  1. Symmetry is not at its finest especially concerning neutral buildings (including mines).
  2. When possible, place the Soulstealers in the back to avoid them casting Mana Burn without the camp engaging.
  3. Starting base trees aren't many and they're spread more to the sides. Night elf has an advantage in the long run.
  4. Too many camps have the Shadowcaster satyr (Curse spell).
  5. And what's with this weird placement (also in the south)?
jadefireCreepCamp.jpg

Approved.

Level 29
  1. Symmetry is not at its finest especially concerning neutral buildings (including mines).
  2. When possible, place the Soulstealers in the back to avoid them casting Mana Burn without the camp engaging.
  3. Starting base trees aren't many and they're spread more to the sides. Night elf has an advantage in the long run.
  4. Too many camps have the Shadowcaster satyr (Curse spell).
  5. And what's with this weird placement (also in the south)?
View attachment 295928

Approved.

1) Woul you like to explain it more, from my point of view simetry is very good. I always use the numbers position for placing things. The line of simetry is the diagonal line wich goes from up and left to down and rigth.
upload_2018-4-7_19-15-47.png

There can be some mm of error, but not enough to spoted as a simetry problem. Actually the map terrain is mirrowed, and almost all wood is mirrowed (there can be some hand made errors), so simetry should be fine

2) Sounds easy to fix.
3) In the long run, players expand, so the can access the wood of the expandings.
I would understand an initial advantage, but placing the log building wisely will null that. The map has goblin labs you can have the log machine, again I think the NE advantage is totally nullfilled with the goblin saw machine. When I play I go for the goblin saw machine and forget about the wood the rest of the game. Still I can add some more trees, just to be shure.
There are like 2000 trees so I think there is enough for the play.
4) got it.
5) got it.

v 1.01 updated
2) fixed
3) Changed green creep, so now more wood in main base
4) fixed
5) fixed

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 21
Hey there buddy, here is my little review:
[+] - Everything is set properly
[+] - Map size is fitting for 1v1
[+] - There is merc/merchant/laboratory
[+] - Two exp goldmines (Bit too much gold though, myb 9k and 13k for exp?)
[+] - Enought creep camps, drops seems OK (I'm no expert in this)
[+] - It has nice thematic feel indeed. Good job.
[+] - Creeps won't agro when they shouldn't
[~] - Those ramps man, I know you can do better. Try to smooth them out using raise/lower tool. (I like you have putted unbuildable terrain there though)
[~] - While critters are present they are mostly vultures. They don't leave a corpse behind when killed, so I would suggest adding more "on foot" critters near biggest camps for undead creeping.
[~] - Found few gaps in the trees, not a big ones though so it is more of an nitpicking.
[~] - Some creeps and shops are off by few units. Not a big deal, just not 100% symetricall. (I believe you didn't intended to be offset)
[~] - Some of those custom rocks felt quite weird to be honest. At first I touhg they are unwalkable just to be suprised later. I guess it is not a big deal though, it is just a matter of getting used to it.
[-] - Narrow paths leading to merc & gob. merchant. You can get easilly blocked by 3 - 4 units.
[-] - While some parts of the map are goergous, some need more love when it comes to tile variation (Between mid expo and tavern for example, or merc) (I probably don't like this tileset though . . .)
[-] - While technically spawns are far away from each other, gargo rush or any kind of air rush could be abused here, since bases are quite near by air.
[-] - Off map decoration (black borders) is non existent. While it is permanently in FoW, you still can see it in game.

Overall, it is a good map that needs only a few touches to be considered a high quallity melee map. I will be more than happy to have a look at it once again, after changes had been made.

Level 29
Hey there buddy, here is my little review:
[+] - Everything is set properly
[+] - Map size is fitting for 1v1
[+] - There is merc/merchant/laboratory
[+] - Two exp goldmines (Bit too much gold though, myb 9k and 13k for exp?)
[+] - Enought creep camps, drops seems OK (I'm no expert in this)
[+] - It has nice thematic feel indeed. Good job.
[+] - Creeps won't agro when they shouldn't
[~] - Those ramps man, I know you can do better. Try to smooth them out using raise/lower tool. (I like you have putted unbuildable terrain there though)
[~] - While critters are present they are mostly vultures. They don't leave a corpse behind when killed, so I would suggest adding more "on foot" critters near biggest camps for undead creeping.
[~] - Found few gaps in the trees, not a big ones though so it is more of an nitpicking.
[~] - Some creeps and shops are off by few units. Not a big deal, just not 100% symetricall. (I believe you didn't intended to be offset)
[~] - Some of those custom rocks felt quite weird to be honest. At first I touhg they are unwalkable just to be suprised later. I guess it is not a big deal though, it is just a matter of getting used to it.
[-] - Narrow paths leading to merc & gob. merchant. You can get easilly blocked by 3 - 4 units.
[-] - While some parts of the map are goergous, some need more love when it comes to tile variation (Between mid expo and tavern for example, or merc) (I probably don't like this tileset though . . .)
[-] - While technically spawns are far away from each other, gargo rush or any kind of air rush could be abused here, since bases are quite near by air.
[-] - Off map decoration (black borders) is non existent. While it is permanently in FoW, you still can see it in game.

Overall, it is a good map that needs only a few touches to be considered a high quallity melee map. I will be more than happy to have a look at it once again, after changes had been made.

1) "Those ramps man, I know you can do better.", then you don´t know me, I have problems with the diagonals ramps, is one of my worst weak points.

2) "While critters are present they are mostly." we can talk hours of critters, while mafe thinks there should be some, I only put with creeps that dont leave corpse, other than that I dont use them never, Since undead have advantage against humans because the statue destroyer, I prefer to cut the necromancers.
I have a posture and I follow it, I may be wrong but never heard of undead loosing because there werent critters in the map.

3) I always put effort in put wood with no gaps, it may happen that one or two slipped, I can check that (I fixed that bug in 7 maps of mine, and from them I avoid it mindfully)

4) "rocks felt quite weird,just a matter of getting used to it." see my other maps and you will get used, those dodads are smaller than a mushroom and the shrubs of Blizzard, a foot man walk above and you still see it ok.

5)"Narrow paths", yeah well they are not path they are dead ends, dead ends tend to be narrow, I mean U areas, since markets and mercenary camps are far away, hardly you will ambushed there from behind. I always try to avoid narrow paths following the 8 pixels rule, you see the center you can have two armies there.
6) "some need more love when it comes to tile variation", first forest map, i am kinda learning, to much green is saturating, thats why I wanted some only brown terrain area even if it looks a bit simple and empty, again I wanted a diferent area, just that.

7) "ny kind of air rush could be abused here", many things to reply:
a) I think anti air units may counter easy an attack of only air units, the human girocopter, nerubians, orc wind riders, and NE archers + wells , if the player is smart, it should be safe.
b) if the attack is countered, it is a gift of exp, and it can be dangerous later having the enemy more powerfulls heroes.
c) Since the first expansion is near and easy, the gold suply should be mantained even if the main base is attacked by aerials, to do it interesting.
d) I did not invent this layout, I somehow emulate it, nothing is perfect in this world, I was just tired of the classic, players opposite at the corners, I have 10 1vs1 melee map, unless I try new things, I hardly will continue doing old layouts.
Ten Paces
Twin Peaks
I saw these maps and others similars and I wanted to give a shot to do something diferent. I copied Normalice, to me is one of the first masters of melee mapping who only focused in melee mapping.
I can always add fly blockers in some parts to make the air path more restringed if is really necersary. But I also like the idea of using zeppelings and aereals for a full assault, thats why goblin labs are defended with level 19, thats for middle game or more.

8) Off map decoration (black borders), totally agree I just forgot it, I usually cover all with wood to make it as continue. I will fix that for shure

thanks for your time and your very complete review,

v 1.03

Off map decoration (black borders) is non existent. While it is permanently in FoW, you still can see it in game. (fixed)

- Added wood outside the camara limits so it won´t look empty.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 247165

D

Deleted member 247165

I simply love all of your melee maps. Played them all. 5/5